Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Original_Z posted:

Chrome's spellcheck seems so much worse now. Half of the time it just won't underline the word, sometimes it'll show up after a few words have passed but there have been times where it just isn't detected at all. Also, often it doesn't even work right, it'll just not show a word that's close enough (if I'm annoyed, there are times where if I copy and paste the misspelled word into google search it'll immediately fix it for me), or it'll suggest the plural version of a word but not the singular one despite not ending in s. Awful, it worked fine up until like a year ago far as I can remember.

Oh man I've been noticing that too, and it's not just chrome, spell check all over the place has gotten way worse. I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Talorat posted:

Oh man I've been noticing that too, and it's not just chrome, spell check all over the place has gotten way worse. I have no idea why.

A lot of google stuff just seems to be behaving worse over the last couple of years. Really feels like they're starting to half rear end things. Not sure how that should affect a pretty simple feature that's been around for years, but :shrug:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They need to keep making them worse until they're minimum viable.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Not that it was ever good but I'm completely done with youtube. The recommendation algo is runny green poo poo. Why does it think I want to watch a single trap shooting video, let alone NOTHING BUT TRAP SHOOTING VIDEOS?!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Not that it was ever good but I'm completely done with youtube. The recommendation algo is runny green poo poo. Why does it think I want to watch a single trap shooting video, let alone NOTHING BUT TRAP SHOOTING VIDEOS?!

It's giving you the bird.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

The recommendation algo

Well there's your problem. This is what the ideal youtube home page looks like

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The ads on YouTube are getting a lot more frequent, a lot longer, and a lot scammier on average.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I can only use Freetube now, all the adblockers that say they get around it, dont. Freetube is the only thing that consistently works with no ads.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I still haven't seen an ad on YouTube, or one of those "disable your adblocker" messages. I don't know if I'm extremely lucky or if they're rolling it out by region.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Wife uses Google Play YouTube Music, so we get no commercials at all. Might be worth it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Beastie posted:

Did you perhaps buy a second switch and set one to your Home? I have two, a Lite and a launch. Lite is my home console and I can play anything I want offline. The GBC, SNES, and 64 channels still need to be verified like once a month.

My other Switch needs to be online to verify my games when I launch them.

I did get a new Switch this year to replace my original, maybe I did something wrong. I thought I just erased it totally, but maybe I need to change the settings. Thanks!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

redgubbinz posted:

Chocolate rations have been increased to 25 grams next week!

Pretty much, yeah. Exciting news! We've made things worse! Give us more money!

Honestly would have been less lovely if they just said "gonna raise subscription price by $3/mo. Sorry."

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Little own many guns that would necessitate an entire rack.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dip Viscous posted:

I still haven't seen an ad on YouTube, or one of those "disable your adblocker" messages. I don't know if I'm extremely lucky or if they're rolling it out by region.

I have to open multiple videos before the message appears.
Then it's on every video I open, for an hour maybe.

Thanks for the freetube suggestion

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
One of my adblockers does it somehow where it plays the ads but it fast forwards through them instantly and I haven't had one actually play since.

It's fine for me because I have never, ever, ever had a YouTube ad that featured anything I was interested in and I will certainly never buy anything from one and I'm pretty sure YouTube can just say I definitely watched it because it played

Edit: also, when I do get ads (on my phone generally) I basically only get ads that are extremely irrelevant to me, or else they're from places I shop at frequently anyway. In fact, I get ads for TCG player more than anything else, and generally only after I've visited the site in the first place. Like, advertising is hosed up and backwards now where you get absolutely bombarded with ads for things that you were already looking at. So instead of bringing attention to a site, it seems like ads just exist to badger people into buying something you walked away from. It seems completely the reverse of what it used to be.

I do remember a time when dipshit internet libertarian sorts praised highly targeted advertising as weeding out irrelevant content and showing you only things you might actually want, and for a while there it did seem to basically be that way, but in the last couple years and especially even in the last couple of months it has completely collapsed into AI scams and poo poo I'd never buy anyway

Heath fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 18, 2023

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
The funny thing about advertising is that so much goes into this messaging that doesn't really do anything but everyone has to pretend it's really important or everything collapses.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Philthy posted:

I can only use Freetube now, all the adblockers that say they get around it, dont. Freetube is the only thing that consistently works with no ads.

I primarily end up watching Youtube through my Chromecast that has Smarttube on it and that is still keeping the ads away as well.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Seeing a lot of articles today like, “The economy is doing great: here’s why it would be bad if things cost less (you loathsome rabble)”

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dip Viscous posted:

Seems like a lot has been isolated to Chrome - I went back to Firefox with UBlock & haven't had any issues, but I was constantly getting the adblock messages in Chrome including the "3 video limit" or ban threat ones. Signing into the same accounts on FF, I don't get any of that crap.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Seems like a lot has been isolated to Chrome - I went back to Firefox with UBlock & haven't had any issues, but I was constantly getting the adblock messages in Chrome including the "3 video limit" or ban threat ones. Signing into the same accounts on FF, I don't get any of that crap.

Yeah, I posted over in the thread dedicated to the issue that I’ve run Firefox with uBlock Origin on three different machines running different OSes and have never gotten a “You’re a Bad YouTube Citizen” warning. gently caress Chrome.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Seeing a lot of articles today like, “The economy is doing great: here’s why it would be bad if things cost less (you loathsome rabble)”

People have been telling me deflation is bad, actually, my whole life but it would be cool for me if food or houses or cars got cheaper instead of more expensive.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Moon Monster posted:

People have been telling me deflation is bad, actually, my whole life but it would be cool for me if food or houses or cars got cheaper instead of more expensive.

But then you'd refrain from purchasing shelter and food, expecting their prices to be lower next year!

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
I accidentally drove onto a toll road. There's no toll booth, though, just a sneaky sign saying that you have to pay online now -- which would be fine except I'm now making an account with all my biometric info & emails for which to send News and Information About Products and Services, and something they call an Environmental Newsletter. I'm using fake info and opting out but this surely will not stop them from selling it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
YouTube now shows me a five second message that says "watch our ads :(" which has replaced their 30-second long black screen that used to appear in lieu of ads, and this is way better.

I went to a tattoo place kind of recently, and the first thing they require is for me to make a new account on their website. To do so, I have to take a photo of a QR code. But a car ran over my camera, so I can't take photos. So they tried taking a picture of the QR code and then sending it to me, but it kept causing their phones to go to the website. I told them to just send me the link to the website, but it was a weird link that didn't work right when I copy+pasted it into the address bar. We tried for ten minutes and nobody can figure out how to get to the site except via the QR code. I ended up logging into one of the artist's accounts just so I could start doing business there :\

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 19, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Because capitalism can't provide returns on investment if number does not go up and thus the entire economy melts down. This is literally what happened in 1929 and the entire marketing industry exists in part to make sure 1929 doesn't happen again. There is no steady state industrial economy, it grows or it dies.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

There is no steady state industrial economy, it grows or it dies.

Now I want deflation even more.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Deflation sounds great until you realize your wages would get slashed to match the prices and then your debts would be gaining value faster than you're paying them off.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not if you have a CBA

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Deflation sounds great until you realize your wages would get slashed to match the prices and then your debts would be gaining value faster than you're paying them off.

This is kinda the rub with deflation. The amount of the economy that is based on credit is absolutely massive, and deflation makes credit real bad. Number go up, or else great depression 2.0.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"Hey which one is the one where workers benefit and rich people don't; inflation or deflation?"

I got some bad news for you.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

"Hey which one is the one where workers benefit and rich people don't; inflation or deflation?"

I got some bad news for you.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lol

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If you can feed a horse, milk a cow, and drive a plow with a team of oxen you're better prepared for the economy of the future than most people.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Stupid assholes renamed Shock Tarts, Sweettarts Extreme Sour.......messed with the formula........and made them lovely.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I watched the new Super Mario Brother movie which made me finally watch the old Super Mario Brothers. The old one is better. It isn't even close. One is a cheesy movie the other a collection or references with famous people voices and music you will recognize.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Duck and Cover posted:

I watched the new Super Mario Brother movie which made me finally watch the old Super Mario Brothers. The old one is better. It isn't even close. One is a cheesy movie the other a collection or references with famous people voices and music you will recognize.

I mean yeah, the old one has it's faults but at least it has something going on, just from seeing the trailer you could the new one was going to be bland as hell.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Went to look up a video about a mod for the computer game, Thief. I got 9 relevant videos and the 10th was "rape attempt on CNN reporter in India." The 12th was a sniper shooting a guy holding a hostage. This is absolutely insane. Now I'm getting extremely violent poo poo with real sexual assault and death while just looking up some poo poo about a videogame. Is this what The Algorithm decided is engaging? God loving dammit this poo poo is out of control.

edit: a little further was a woman in a bathing suit getting arrested for masturbating on a beach. Again, I searched "thief the black parade mission 2"

WILDTURKEY101 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 19, 2023

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

My 5/7 year olds love that movie. One of the few things that will keep them totally enraptured for 2 hours straight.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought it was really good too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Stagger_Lee posted:

almost no one deserves to suffer

There is no ethical suffering under capitalism