Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

Ooh! Dreamlord! DREAMLORD!

Oh poo poo yeah, absolutely, bring back Toby Jones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Toby Jones as the actual Master would be my dream. But getting him back is just as good too. He’s so good at being cutting and incredibly sinister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhTAtgJ1n4E

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I remember being mildly disappointed that he turned out to be space pollen giving them really bad dreams, but goddamn Toby just kills it.

"Now there's a delusion I'm not responsible for."

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I want to see that dude with the forehead hatch from Dalek come back as an antagonist. "Human who knows about the existence of time travel and wants to use that information to advance humanity (but will create a nightmare technodystopia future in the process)" is a cool as hell idea.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Whybird posted:

I want to see that dude with the forehead hatch from Dalek come back as an antagonist. "Human who knows about the existence of time travel and wants to use that information to advance humanity (but will create a nightmare technodystopia future in the process)" is a cool as hell idea.

and considering how unceremoniously the Doctor kicked his rear end out of the TARDIS, he could certainly be holding a grudge

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I remember being mildly disappointed that he turned out to be space pollen giving them really bad dreams, but goddamn Toby just kills it.

"Now there's a delusion I'm not responsible for."

The dream made him real... At the edge of the universe~~~oooo

Why not

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Whybird posted:

IIRC, the IDW comics actually do bring back Adam for a run sometime?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
He's unlikely to show up on TV again unless they recast him because Bruno Langley has only just come off the sex offenders registry.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fil5000 posted:

He's unlikely to show up on TV again unless they recast him because Bruno Langley has only just come off the sex offenders registry.

Look, I don't want to cast any blame on anyone, but after a point I feel like it might be an idea to investigate every actor that had a multi-episode role in that first revival season, just in case.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Just recast him with Gareth Pierce; it worked for Corrie.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They should have one of the other potential Doctor candidates in a Time Lord role.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_considered_for_the_part_of_the_Doctor

Whether as Master or a fake out or something, I reckon it'd be fun to see.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Infinitum posted:

They should have one of the other potential Doctor candidates in a Time Lord role.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_considered_for_the_part_of_the_Doctor

Whether as Master or a fake out or something, I reckon it'd be fun to see.

They missed an opportunity by not having Craig Ferguson show up on Gallifrey when Capaldi was in the role.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd have loved to see Paterson Joseph's Doctor. :sigh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Richard Ayoade as some rando Time Lord would be great

Just the absolute weirdest eccentric goober.

"Oh I missed the Time War entirely? When was that on? Tea?" :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Oh wow, as the next regen of Chronotis/Salyavin, yes please. :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'd REALLY like to see The Corsair at some point, they sounded fun.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If annoys me somewhat that modern Doctor Who has
- The Doctor
- The Master
- Timelords on Gallifrey (All asshats)
And you never see any other Time Lords

Like surely the Doctor and Master can't be the only ones floating about?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

watching a bunch of the 10 era and I had a thought: What are some NuWho villains you'd like to see RTD bring back? I know they are probably gonna cool it on the Daleks and Cybermen for a bit, but I was thinking it'd be cool to see some of the monsters from RTD's first run that maybe got one go around to come back. Personally, I'd love to see the Racnoss come back. Just loving scary big rear end spider people. (maybe a little less screaming than the queen was doing)

I know Chibnall used them but the Judoon coming back would be cool too.

Spooky lady and her alt timeline parasitic bug from Turn Left

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Cast Super Hans as the Doctor, not the actor Matt King, but the character of Super Hans.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Infinitum posted:

If annoys me somewhat that modern Doctor Who has
- The Doctor
- The Master
- Timelords on Gallifrey (All asshats)
And you never see any other Time Lords

Like surely the Doctor and Master can't be the only ones floating about?

There have been sketched-out plans for other Time Lords to come back, but none that hit the screen.

Apparently RTD had put at least a little bit of thought into bringing back the Rani in his first run, and would've cast Ruthie Henshall. Peter Harness had an unproduced script for the Meddling Monk that would've been ideally played by Matt Berry... where the entire plot would've centered around his plan to get Rasputin to dance to the Boney M song "Rasputin".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Davros is swallowed by the Nightmare Child
"Did you see that ludicrous display last night?"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Monk : straight men :: The Rani : gay men

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cleretic posted:

There have been sketched-out plans for other Time Lords to come back, but none that hit the screen.

Apparently RTD had put at least a little bit of thought into bringing back the Rani in his first run, and would've cast Ruthie Henshall. Peter Harness had an unproduced script for the Meddling Monk that would've been ideally played by Matt Berry... where the entire plot would've centered around his plan to get Rasputin to dance to the Boney M song "Rasputin".

Another plot line squandered by Chibnall! :argh:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Yeah with the amount of times that Gallifrey has been hidden, found, destroyed, locked in time, put in another universe, placed out of sync with time, I'm surprised they haven't had a Time Lord slip away from the planet and go adventuring.

Reducing the Time Lords to The Doctor, The Master and occasionally whoevers currently on Gallifrey is a bit crap

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

2house2fly posted:

They never did follow up on Gus from the other series 8 Jamie Mathieson episode did they? Though granted there's not much potential there that I can see. What was he trying to do? The reveal: make a big bomb or something. I can barely remember anything from the Chibnall years other than the cybermen wearing Time Lord head dresses, but there were probably some good villains in there somewhere

I assumed Gus was one of Missy's plots just like everything in that first season and a half.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Got to Time of the Angels in my full-series watchthrough and really noticing the Silence In the Library/Forest of the Dead parallels this time around. (They're both stories where the Doctor, his current companion, and River Song are exploring a creepy environment in which dangerous creatures are lurking, and could get at them if all the lights go out so darkness is a source of horror, and where some of the creatures are using the faded remnants of their victims to talk to the Doctor to add to the horror.) Which got me thinking.

Did RTD set a bad precedent early on in writing so many of the episodes himself? Subsequent showrunners seem to have felt obligated to do at least as much if not more and I feel like taking up 40%-100% of a particular season with episodes that the current showrunner has either co-written or solely written is a mistake - it puts additional demands on someone already spinning a lot of plates, and it drastically scales back the opportunities to cultivate new writing talent (the same pool of talent which, in the long run, replacement showrunners tend to be drawn from).

Chibnall era seems to have been where this tendency hit its apex, with Chibnall writing such a large proportion of each season that there was no space for anyone to break out and establish themselves as the hot new Who writer, like Moffat did with Girl In the Fireplace/Blink under RTD. (Say what you like about Moffat's actual execution of his run, but you can't look at his four stories under RTD and say anyone else had a comparable track record.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think that's why Mathieson vanishing is odd, he did a similar number of bangers under Moffat as Moff did under RTD and then... nothing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Mathieson's scripts were heavily rewritten to fit into season arcs and for improvements in general; Moffat's scripts were some of the only ones Rusty didn't doctor to hell and back. It could be that Mathieson fell out of love with the process, or it could be that Chibnall's clean slate approach alienated him.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Those are both Moffat written 2-parters

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Reducing the Time Lords to The Doctor, The Master and occasionally whoevers currently on Gallifrey is a bit crap

Yeah I get that The Last of the Timelords was a thing for a while, but if 15 is a soft reboot they should reboot some Time Lords floating about as well

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gaz-L posted:

I think that's why Mathieson vanishing is odd, he did a similar number of bangers under Moffat as Moff did under RTD and then... nothing.

I've kind of been looking into this a little this week and reading between the lines it looks like Mathieson just needed a lot of rewriting and refining by Moffat, so maybe he wasn't ready for a step up?

His original script for Flatline is much more horror focused, to the point where it doesn't really nail the tone of Doctor Who, and doesn't include anything with the shrinking Tardis, which was the most memorable part of the episode. All of that was added/suggested by Moffat.

Then he wrote Mummy with Moffat, and GUS was going to be his recurring villain, but that was shot down. He wanted to use GUS in Oxygen, and reveal his true form, but wasn't allowed.

He disappeared entirely after that pretty much. I kind of get the impression maybe he was a bit difficult to work with. Glowing reviews for his episodes, but only after heavy rewrites, and I think maybe his ego got a bit big?

He's published a book recently (thanks thread!) which I'm probably going to pick up, and he's said a lot of the short stories in it are from his ideas for Doctor Who episodes, so that should be interesting.

Maybe RTD would be better at nurturing his talent than Moffatt ever was? I can't imagine Moffatt being a great mentor with everything we know about his work practices.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Toby Jones as the actual Master would be my dream. But getting him back is just as good too. He’s so good at being cutting and incredibly sinister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhTAtgJ1n4E

He was so loving funny at points too.

(dressed as a butcher in a butcher's shop, mid-menace): You know we've got to use these places, or they'll shut down!

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I remember thinking Amy’s Choice was going to be a real “eh, whatever” filler episode from the looks of it, and it turned out to be one of the best episodes in a season stacked with incredible episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Whatever collaboration was needed with Mathieson's stories, they REALLY worked, and I do hope we see him do another episode at some point, even if it does need to be worked a bit into shape. There's obviously gold in there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Yeah I get that The Last of the Timelords was a thing for a while, but if 15 is a soft reboot they should reboot some Time Lords floating about as well

I said before, but the Master ravaging Gallifrey is at least a decent setup to say 'a bunch of Time Lords hopped in TARDISes to get away and are now floating around the universe'

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Cleretic posted:

Look, I don't want to cast any blame on anyone, but after a point I feel like it might be an idea to investigate every actor that had a multi-episode role in that first revival season, just in case.

British light entertainment has never really started being normal. It's deeply unfortunate.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Got to the end of Flesh and Stone and holy poo poo the "let's have Amy sexually assault the Doctor but play it for laughs" scene is terrible. Just absolute dogshit. A lot of the shaky early stories of Moffat's run as showrunner feel to me like they've got all the parts of a really good story, but the bits haven't been put together correctly, and without that Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone would be one of those, but the assault sequence is horrid.

(I think Moffat probably convinced himself that it was feminist somehow, except there is nothing feminist about presenting the idea that sexual assault is funny and harmless sometimes. Any time you normalise sexual assault and don't treat it as what it is, you contribute to a cultural environment which proportionately hurts women worse than men.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Warthur posted:

Got to the end of Flesh and Stone and holy poo poo the "let's have Amy sexually assault the Doctor but play it for laughs" scene is terrible. Just absolute dogshit. A lot of the shaky early stories of Moffat's run as showrunner feel to me like they've got all the parts of a really good story, but the bits haven't been put together correctly, and without that Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone would be one of those, but the assault sequence is horrid.

(I think Moffat probably convinced himself that it was feminist somehow, except there is nothing feminist about presenting the idea that sexual assault is funny and harmless sometimes. Any time you normalise sexual assault and don't treat it as what it is, you contribute to a cultural environment which proportionately hurts women worse than men.)

Honestly this scene, and Amy flirting with the Doctor at all, kind of soured me on her character for the entire run, and her and Rory's relationship too. When later series tried to make them some grand romance, and even the end of that season tried to make Rory dying and then waiting for two thousand years sad, it just didn't feel earned at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

PriorMarcus posted:

His original script for Flatline is much more horror focused, to the point where it doesn't really nail the tone of Doctor Who, and doesn't include anything with the shrinking Tardis, which was the most memorable part of the episode. All of that was added/suggested by Moffat.

I also looked into this, and I get a bit of a kick about why he thinks Flatline turned out that way the first time: he was scared of Doctor Who as a kid, so he avoided it. The original Flatline was basically an adult writing the Doctor Who that exists in a terrified child's mind. It's a sort of darkly appropriate way to whiff on Doctor Who, but it does make me a lot more interested in his other work.

It might be worth noting that he hasn't had any writing credits after Doctor Who; I don't know what that means, but being kind to him, maybe it's that he just hasn't been doing much screenwriting since then.

...and what the hell, his first credit was an episode of My Parents Are Aliens?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Amy Pond, in that first series especially is mentally ill in a way that pushes against the bounds of sympathy. If you don't take it seriously you can skim over it, which is sort of the original intent. If you know someone like her in real life (*raises hand*), you can either appreciate it or be turned off hard.

You know how you can tell that some people's deviantart fetishes happened because they saw the wrong shrinking episode or something from a cheap cartoon at absolutely the wrong time in their lives? Amy had that with the Doctor. Combine that with the time crack-induced abandonment and she's deeply hosed up. But there's no time given to really dealing with it.

In many ways, Clara is another stab at a similar idea. Adventuring with the Doctor gives Clara a sense of power and importance and responsibility and protagonist syndrome that drives her to extremes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Man I completely forgot about that, just had a watch.
:stare: yeaaaaahhhh she just sorta forces herself on him, doesn't she.

Well lets not have a lovely final scene take away from Father Octavian's stand out speech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEvLkd8cySE&t=23s
"I wish I'd known you better"
"I think sir, you know me at my best"

Good ol washing machine hatch :allears: