Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

Amy Pond, in that first series especially is mentally ill in a way that pushes against the bounds of sympathy. If you don't take it seriously you can skim over it, which is sort of the original intent. If you know someone like her in real life (*raises hand*), you can either appreciate it or be turned off hard.

You know how you can tell that some people's deviantart fetishes happened because they saw the wrong shrinking episode or something from a cheap cartoon at absolutely the wrong time in their lives? Amy had that with the Doctor. Combine that with the time crack-induced abandonment and she's deeply hosed up. But there's no time given to really dealing with it.

In many ways, Clara is another stab at a similar idea. Adventuring with the Doctor gives Clara a sense of power and importance and responsibility and protagonist syndrome that drives her to extremes.

I can absolutely see that in the writing for Amy, and it's something I wish had been explored more with her. I think it, and Clara, fall apart a bit when you realize it's kind of the only way Moffat knows how to write women, and ironically is probably an ailment he's suffering from himself when writing those women.

It kind of loops back around from interesting but flawed into being a bit off putting.

Infinitum posted:

Good ol washing machine hatch :allears:

Oh my God it really is just a washing machine door!

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PriorMarcus posted:

I can absolutely see that in the writing for Amy, and it's something I wish had been explored more with her. I think it, and Clara, fall apart a bit when you realize it's kind of the only way Moffat knows how to write women, and ironically is probably an ailment he's suffering from himself when writing those women.

It kind of loops back around from interesting but flawed into being a bit off putting

I'd say that Bill breaks out of this format pretty cleanly. You get the feeling that the year break gave the Moff a real opportunity to relax and refresh, especially after the tumultuous personal and professional stuff going on for his first five-ish years.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

It kind of loops back around from interesting but flawed into being a bit off putting.
I mean, this is it. When Moffat has only one "voice" he uses when writing women - obscured when it's different actors delivering the lines but still noticeable over time - it's much much harder to decide whether:

1) Amy is meant to be really messed up like that for Reasons, but other women aren't, but because new-Who is very fast-paced and doesn't really have time to dig into that sort of thing it's not explained brilliantly.

2) Amy is meant to be really messed up like that, and so are all women, because Moffat consciously or unconsciously believes that all women are messed up.

3) Amy is not really meant to be messed up beyond having a big crush on the Doctor and Moffat just badly misjudged the scene.

I mean, I think the intent is 1), but that's the kindest interpretation and it is still not great. Not least because "I didn't mean to make this person I knew since they were 7 fall in love with me, it just went out of my control" feels like the sort of lie abusers tell themselves.

EDIT: and if it is a mental illness symptom on Amy's past, then that makes playing it for laughs worse worse WORSE, not better.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

I also looked into this, and I get a bit of a kick about why he thinks Flatline turned out that way the first time: he was scared of Doctor Who as a kid, so he avoided it. The original Flatline was basically an adult writing the Doctor Who that exists in a terrified child's mind. It's a sort of darkly appropriate way to whiff on Doctor Who, but it does make me a lot more interested in his other work.

It might be worth noting that he hasn't had any writing credits after Doctor Who; I don't know what that means, but being kind to him, maybe it's that he just hasn't been doing much screenwriting since then.

...and what the hell, his first credit was an episode of My Parents Are Aliens?

Live action kids shows used to be a pipeline for actors and writers to learn their craft, as well as the mechanics of getting a show actually made. The fact that ITV are basically making no live action kids shows any more (and the Beeb are making less than they used to), sucks.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd say that Bill breaks out of this format pretty cleanly. You get the feeling that the year break gave the Moff a real opportunity to relax and refresh, especially after the tumultuous personal and professional stuff going on for his first five-ish years.

Bill is easily the best companion of Moffat's run. He also had Missy to fill that role that season, so all of that nonsense got put onto her instead, it's just it works with Missy because of her being the Master and because Gomez is so loving great.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Bill is easily the best companion of Moffat's run. He also had Missy to fill that role that season, so all of that nonsense got put onto her instead, it's just it works with Missy because of her being the Master and because Gomez is so loving great.

Bill is great but I'm a late-period Clara stan because it feels like Moffat finally dialing in how to depict that kind of dysfunctional, maladaptive behavior explicitly and precisely.

The trouble is that doing so pretty firmly pushed the driving subject matter of Doctor Who out of the target zone of "kids and family television" and into "serious adult drama with Daleks in it", which was never gonna work for everyone and had a very real risk of working for nearly no one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Amy Pond, in that first series especially is mentally ill in a way that pushes against the bounds of sympathy. If you don't take it seriously you can skim over it, which is sort of the original intent. If you know someone like her in real life (*raises hand*), you can either appreciate it or be turned off hard.

You know how you can tell that some people's deviantart fetishes happened because they saw the wrong shrinking episode or something from a cheap cartoon at absolutely the wrong time in their lives? Amy had that with the Doctor. Combine that with the time crack-induced abandonment and she's deeply hosed up. But there's no time given to really dealing with it.

I don't buy that Amy is mentally ill tbh, because I don't think her behaviour significantly changes between her first season and her later two after time is fixed. But also the way the temporal erasure works isn't mentally debilitating. It's not like Jenga, where if you take enough pieces away the tower wobbles and eventually collapses. The tower just stays together no matter how impossible it is, because that's just now how it works.

That said uhhh I'm not sure that conflating kink (which is normal and mentally healthy, and probably isn't caused by someone watching a cartoon "at the wrong point in their lives", a fairly loaded idea in and of itself) with mental illness is a good way to make that point.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Bill is great but I'm a late-period Clara stan because it feels like Moffat finally dialing in how to depict that kind of dysfunctional, maladaptive behavior explicitly and precisely.

The trouble is that doing so pretty firmly pushed the driving subject matter of Doctor Who out of the target zone of "kids and family television" and into "serious adult drama with Daleks in it", which was never gonna work for everyone and had a very real risk of working for nearly no one.

I think my problem with late-period Clara is that all of the character work for her is great, and the drama of it is great, but it was hurt by Jenna Coleman wanting to leave every season, and anything to do with the Hybrid, which was just a wet fart of a season long mystery for me. Also, Me/Ashlidr likewise fell flat and Clara's arc is really tied to her sadly. I just don't think Maisie Williams is that good an actress, especially next to Capaldi and Coleman.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I wanna make it clear that I have no animus or ill regard for forever delitization or rouge the bat vore or anything like that. The trouble with Amy comes from her adolescent psychosexual paraphilia showing up in real life and sweeping her away.

Also, like, sure Amy's parents came back. But that doesn't mean she has any real experiences of growing up with them. And all the way through Series 5, she's clearly dealing with severe abandonment issues that she can't even rationalize because the cause of the abandonment is science fantasy nightmare poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bill was such a great companion, I'm both sad we only got one season and also glad that it meant what we got never had to be watered down.

Also tangential, I love the delivery on Toymaker's,"Then he met Bill. Not Stooky Bill, no, LADY Bill!"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I wanna make it clear that I have no animus or ill regard for forever delitization or rouge the bat vore or anything like that. The trouble with Amy comes from her adolescent psychosexual paraphilia showing up in real life and sweeping her away.

Also, like, sure Amy's parents came back. But that doesn't mean she has any real experiences of growing up with them. And all the way through Series 5, she's clearly dealing with severe abandonment issues that she can't even rationalize because the cause of the abandonment is science fantasy nightmare poo poo.

Amy's arc probably would of come together better if there'd been any consistency with it.

Her parents came back, never to be seen again.

She raised Melody as the "responsible" kid, though she certainly didn't seem have her poo poo together in Season Five.

Her and Rory are destined to be together and are a forever love, but she wants to bone the Doctor constantly.

She looses her child, and is held captive to give birth to them so they can become a future assassin, but it's the Weeping Angels that end up being one step too far for her to keep travelling.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

She looses her child, and is held captive to give birth to them so they can become a future assassin, but it's the Weeping Angels that end up being one step too far for her to keep travelling.
The Weeping Angels come back early on in Amy's stint as a companion. They break people's necks and eat critical bits of their faculties to speak with their voices and whatnot, because shunting people back in time stops being threatening when the Doctor has the TARDIS available to just go collect them. (Yeah, yeah, yadda yadda, fixed points in time, can't go back on your own timestream - whatever, even if you find an obituary for someone you can just rescue them anyway then plant the fake obituary.) Then Weeping Angels show up who are shunting people back in time again and Amy and Rory get themselves shunted and don't simply put a classified ad in the paper wherever they end up so the Doctor can come collect them. Weird.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Warthur posted:

The Weeping Angels come back early on in Amy's stint as a companion. They break people's necks and eat critical bits of their faculties to speak with their voices and whatnot, because shunting people back in time stops being threatening when the Doctor has the TARDIS available to just go collect them. (Yeah, yeah, yadda yadda, fixed points in time, can't go back on your own timestream - whatever, even if you find an obituary for someone you can just rescue them anyway then plant the fake obituary.) Then Weeping Angels show up who are shunting people back in time again and Amy and Rory get themselves shunted and don't simply put a classified ad in the paper wherever they end up so the Doctor can come collect them. Weird.

Plus one of them is the Statue of Liberty!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The River arc threw me way off series 6. They lose their child, eventually find out via seeing the future that they'll never get their child back, and... then just go on having adventures. Amy doesn't even leave and go back home of her own decision, the Doctor has to... buy her a house?? I was so gratified later in series 8 when Clara a) got furious and wanted to stop travelling with the Doctor when he hosed up, and b) reacted to the loss of a loved one by proposing that they use their time machine to stop it happening. They both felt like Moffat realising what he should have had Amy do and having someone else do it as soon as the opportunity came along

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think the arc of Amy's recovery is her choosing Rory over the Doctor, which in terms of the metaphor means that she chose to live in the real world rather than chase the fantasy that got her through her childhood. The problem with interrogating that too much is that the Doctor doesn't end up looking very good, which is sort of explored more intentionally with Clara.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

2house2fly posted:

The River arc threw me way off series 6. They lose their child, eventually find out via seeing the future that they'll never get their child back, and... then just go on having adventures. Amy doesn't even leave and go back home of her own decision, the Doctor has to... buy her a house?? I was so gratified later in series 8 when Clara a) got furious and wanted to stop travelling with the Doctor when he hosed up, and b) reacted to the loss of a loved one by proposing that they use their time machine to stop it happening. They both felt like Moffat realising what he should have had Amy do and having someone else do it as soon as the opportunity came along

It just came across as so artificially that not a single character reacted to that realistically. I don't think Rory even got a moment to react to it, when he's previously been shown to be furious with the Doctor when stuff like that happens.

Just awful.

Moffat had so many great ideas, for every level of the show, but I feel like in retrospect none of them actually came together well in the end.

At the time I just remember getting burnt out on his recurring story beats, and being kind of disappointed with his run, but with distance I can appreciate all he tried to do, whilst recognizing that I don't think any of it was that successful.

Bicyclops posted:

I think the arc of Amy's recovery is her choosing Rory over the Doctor, which in terms of the metaphor means that she chose to live in the real world rather than chase the fantasy that got her through her childhood. The problem with interrogating that too much is that the Doctor doesn't end up looking very good, which is sort of explored more intentionally with Clara.

Amy's ending would've been much better if she hadn't been stuck in the past, cut off from all her family that Season Five had brought back, or Rory's dad the season had just introduced.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

She had them and she didn't have them. They disappeared when she was a kid, but the timeline where they didn't disappear still, basically, exists in so much as everything still operates as if they were still there. Like I said, the Jenga tower stays up no matter how many pieces get removed, including all the pieces that haven't been put in the tower yet.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

On the topic of kink, I do definitely think Moffat has a thing for exhibitionism, or, “guy being naked in front of clothed others”. Like, it turns up in Blink, Eleventh Hour, Time Of The Doctor. It also crops up in Coupling and Sherlock, and I feel there was another time I can’t remember (maybe Dracula?).

Whatever, it’s as valid a kink as any, provided everyone involved is fully consenting (which, in this case is maybe hard to establish). But it is weird just how many times it’s cropped up in his writing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Matinee posted:

On the topic of kink, I do definitely think Moffat has a thing for exhibitionism, or, “guy being naked in front of clothed others”. Like, it turns up in Blink, Eleventh Hour, Time Of The Doctor. It also crops up in Coupling and Sherlock, and I feel there was another time I can’t remember (maybe Dracula?).

Whatever, it’s as valid a kink as any, provided everyone involved is fully consenting (which, in this case is maybe hard to establish). But it is weird just how many times it’s cropped up in his writing.

Yeah, in Dracula the titular character is naked for a major scene in the first episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Matinee posted:

On the topic of kink, I do definitely think Moffat has a thing for exhibitionism

He definitely has a fetish for strong, maybe crazy women and he seems to like power games. It's there with Jane and Sally in Coupling and threaded all the way through Jeckyll. Plus all the various Kovarian / Tasha Lem / River / Irene Adler types that turn up in his work.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

He definitely has a fetish for strong, maybe crazy women and he seems to like power games. It's there with Jane and Sally in Coupling and threaded all the way through Jeckyll. Plus all the various Kovarian / Tasha Lem / River / Irene Adler types that turn up in his work.

I'd love to know if there was more to Tasha Lem than was put on screen.

She certainly seems like a victim of condensing the plot down into one last special.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd love to know if there was more to Tasha Lem than was put on screen.

She certainly seems like a victim of condensing the plot down into one last special.

It certainly reads like it was written to be River or maybe even Madam Kovarian originally and then the actor wasn't available. There are definitely a couple lines that feel like they weren't rewritten from a draft where it was River.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Warthur posted:

Got to the end of Flesh and Stone and holy poo poo the "let's have Amy sexually assault the Doctor but play it for laughs" scene is terrible. Just absolute dogshit. A lot of the shaky early stories of Moffat's run as showrunner feel to me like they've got all the parts of a really good story, but the bits haven't been put together correctly, and without that Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone would be one of those, but the assault sequence is horrid.

(I think Moffat probably convinced himself that it was feminist somehow, except there is nothing feminist about presenting the idea that sexual assault is funny and harmless sometimes. Any time you normalise sexual assault and don't treat it as what it is, you contribute to a cultural environment which proportionately hurts women worse than men.)

Don't forget the time in one of those "minisodes" between stories where Rory messes up the TARDIS because it has glass floors and he get distracted looking up Amy's skirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E-wzgx1Vzc

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 18, 2023

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Am I right in thinking she was meant to be the payoff of the line from A Good Man Goes To War of “by decree of the Papal Mainframe herself”? (which I always found to be a really neat sci-fi worldbuilding allusion)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Matinee posted:

Am I right in thinking she was meant to be the payoff of the line from A Good Man Goes To War of “by decree of the Papal Mainframe herself”? (which I always found to be a really neat sci-fi worldbuilding allusion)

Yep. Unfortunately she gets only a minute or so of screentime before it's revealed she's been infected with a Dalek virus or something.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I assume we would have gotten more Tasha Lem if Moffat’s “extended arc on Trenzalore” plan didn’t get derailed due to Smith wanting to leave.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rochallor posted:

It certainly reads like it was written to be River or maybe even Madam Kovarian originally and then the actor wasn't available. There are definitely a couple lines that feel like they weren't rewritten from a draft where it was River.

Equally possible that it's just Moff's limited repertoire of characters rearing its head again - like how Amy and Rory are kind of recycled versions of Sally and Larry from Blink once you set aside Amy's Doctor fixation.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Warthur posted:

Equally possible that it's just Moff's limited repertoire of characters rearing its head again - like how Amy and Rory are kind of recycled versions of Sally and Larry from Blink once you set aside Amy's Doctor fixation.

Oh yeah, it's 100% this as much as it is that she was meant to be a returning character. But even if she was a returning character it would still be this too.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I should really re-watch Time Of The Doctor again. I don’t think I’ve seen it since around the time it aired (because I found it such a letdown after the all time high of Day Of The Doctor). But it’ll be interesting to see it with the mindset of “this is four/five episodes-worth of season arc plot crunched down into an hour”

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Matinee posted:

I should really re-watch Time Of The Doctor again. I don’t think I’ve seen it since around the time it aired (because I found it such a letdown after the all time high of Day Of The Doctor). But it’ll be interesting to see it with the mindset of “this is four/five episodes-worth of season arc plot crunched down into an hour”

I can't remember where I read this but I think at one point the plan was for an entire season to take place on Trenzalore. Not so much like the Flux, but just having stand alone stories taking place on one planet that the Doctor has sworn to protect, him unable to leave whilst all the side characters grow up and change around him.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I always found Amy saying "you definitely may kiss the bride" to the Doctor at her wedding TO RORY was the weirdest goddamn thing. At the time of originally watching it, I chuckled about it because I like how the Doctor responds to that, but the actual act of it is mega hosed up.

I liked Amy and Rory a lot, but that first season was a touch rough when it came to their character development.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I always found Amy saying "you definitely may kiss the bride" to the Doctor at her wedding TO RORY was the weirdest goddamn thing. At the time of originally watching it, I chuckled about it because I like how the Doctor responds to that, but the actual act of it is mega hosed up.

I liked Amy and Rory a lot, but that first season was a touch rough when it came to their character development.

Yeah, the dude had just got back two thousand years worth of memories of being an undead plastic soldier, and the first thing Amy does is kiss another man.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't remember where I read this but I think at one point the plan was for an entire season to take place on Trenzalore. Not so much like the Flux, but just having stand alone stories taking place on one planet that the Doctor has sworn to protect, him unable to leave whilst all the side characters grow up and change around him.

That's actually not a bad idea, as far as seasons of Doctor Who go. It's unique enough not to be a retread of Three being trapped on Earth and it's not really a "bottle" season because there's a whole alien planet to work with, so they can still pull out all the rubber masks and green screen backdrops, lol. You can maintain the sense of wonder and discovery while still having the Doctor "stay behind for once."

Warthur
May 2, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, the dude had just got back two thousand years worth of memories of being an undead plastic soldier, and the first thing Amy does is kiss another man.

Amy sexually abusing the Doctor was bad but Amy emotionally abusing Rory is not something I am looking forward to on this rewatch, my main memory is that she treats him without a shred of respect at all. Which is probably playing into Moffat's fetish for Smug Women Who Are Better Than You And Will Bully You About It, but still.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Warthur posted:

Amy sexually abusing the Doctor was bad but Amy emotionally abusing Rory is not something I am looking forward to on this rewatch, my main memory is that she treats him without a shred of respect at all. Which is probably playing into Moffat's fetish for Smug Women Who Are Better Than You And Will Bully You About It, but still.

This is my memory of it too unfortunately.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

E: re Trenzalore -

I wonder if the plan was still to have the Doctor/Eleven visibly age throughout the season. In a kind of “if the Doctor stands still on a planet, he only deals with Daleks or Weeping Angels every six hundred years or so” kind of way.

Obviously London in the twentieth century is the exception to this rule.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Matinee posted:

I wonder if the plan was still to have the Doctor/Eleven visibly age throughout the season. In a kind of “if the Doctor stands still on a planet, he only deals with Daleks or Weeping Angels every six hundred years or so” kind of way.

Obviously London in the twentieth century is the exception to this rule.

That's my understanding of the original plan. Yeah.

You'd introduce a child in one episode, and have them be a grown up in the next. Or have the main setting evolve around the Doctor, with the clock tower being a constant but otherwise moving from pre-industrial styles into modern day buildings etc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Moffat desperately needing some kind of a domme or whatever and it constantly coming out through his writing is like everything else about his writing where like, at first you can be like "Well, it's low-key enough, that guy forgot to put his pants on, they sure did dwell on it for a weirdly long time, but overall this is a good episode," and by the time it's happened on multiple shows, you're like "Jesus Christ, Steven, save it for the apps."

Like you could do the John Irving chart that has stuff like "contains bears" or "features wrestling" but for seasons of television written by Steven Moffat. The man is more compulsive about his calling cards than Marv from the Wet Bandits.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The man is more compulsive about his calling cards than Marv from the Wet Bandits.

This is an incredible simile and I will absolutely appropriate it in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HD DAD posted:

I assume we would have gotten more Tasha Lem if Moffat’s “extended arc on Trenzalore” plan didn’t get derailed due to Smith wanting to leave.

Wonder what the Year of Matt Smith Specials would've been like had he stayed around

Well, probably we'd get the stories about all the little tidbits glimpsed at in Time of the Doctor