Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HopperUK posted:

Aaahhh. AAHHHHHH

Thank you though :)

this guy seems p chill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WppPorbWBxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMc1X-BMLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPQx-aC-ibw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

When you all say Rogue Trader is buggy, is it like a fun Bethesda type buggy, or more “save games literally get ruined” type of buggy?

Mostly the former in my experience but there have been a few people in the Rogue Trader thread saying they ran into save-breaking or quest flag bugs. Act 4-5 are especially buggy but there's a patch coming next week to fix the Act 4 stuff. There are some abilities that don't seem to work and sometimes cutscenes don't trigger. Owlcat has been pretty quick and accurate with the fixes so far.

My playthrough has been almost bug-free, I'm blessed by the omnissiah :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 18, 2023

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I finished my six hours of the Skull and Bones beta. Overall it seems ok. I got to the part where the game starts to lay it thick with the sidequests but it felt like a waste doing that stuff when it was all going to be lost anyway. I managed to solo Rabe, the rank 4 boss/bounty, and that was a tough fight that ended with seconds on the clock. I also completed one of the PVP events, which made me pick up a map at sea and then sail with it to a specific outpost to dig up some pretty good loot. Seems the game spawns relatively powerful ships in your path when you do that event so I guess even if no actual players join there's still some token resistance.

The coolest part was definitely trying to attack the boss convoy that makes its way through the map sometimes. I was hopelessly outmatched but the big group of enemies combined with the rough seas, which make ship handling super tough, made for an awesome setup.

https://i.imgur.com/j4DqMJf.mp4

I'd be curious to see how big the final map is. It was cool sailing away from the starter areas and seeing new factions/ships/resources pop up but already by the end of my six hours I was feeling the grind a bit. It didn't help that I knew I'd lose my progress if I ever bought the full game but it's clear the quest design is pretty simplistic. It's probably going to be one of those things where I buy the game on a big sale, put like 50 intense hours in it doing all the side content I come across and then don't touch the game again for a few years.

https://i.imgur.com/16qAhNI.mp4

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Jarvisi posted:

Yeah but how do I know what a good crew lineup is? It's baffling

This video and associated channel is a good onboarding situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTD-ipz9a-o

If you're not already on the Trese Brothers Games Discord, hop on it - the Star Traders Frontiers channel is full of good advice to help you get onboarded and the ST:F wiki gets updated regularly too.

This article from the wiki might be a good read:
https://startraders.fandom.com/wiki/Crew_Management

Most all the game is documented good inside the app itself by hovering over stats that give you tooltips except for the difference in what strong dice and standard dice are - they're 40% and 20% success rates per strong or standard die respectively. The meat of the game is assigning crew to cover skills good enough to pass the contested skill checks which use a mix of strong and standard dice.
https://startraders.fandom.com/wiki/Dice_Mechanics

One example of this is ship skill pools - your components contribute to a skill rating that's then filled up by your crew's skills added together, and the first 100% count as strong dice and 101%-200% count as standard dice.

The ST:F thread has been a little quiet lately and can also help get you onboarded, if you've got further questions and don't feel like going on the Discord then feel free to post over there.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856470

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 18, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Star Traders is incredible and you can honestly get by just picking things based on roleplaying flavor. The way the actual mechanical calculations work is pretty obtuse so it can be frustrating to powergame in but you really don't need to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Is there a lot of that going around? I'm not up to date on the thread, but I haven't heard anyone talk about ruined savegames.

arguably better then BG3 at launch but not by much, Owlcat are supposed to be releasing several major patches in the coming weeks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: oh lmao it's super confusing

Yeah they did it in a very strange way. If you're anything like me you got the combined Outward + the first DLC from a Humble Monthly with of course the Three Brothers being the one not included.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks to all who offered help! I will try again.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
If I love House Flipper but haven't gone through the DLC, should I buy 2 or go through the DLC for 1 first?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I, Butthole posted:

If I love House Flipper but haven't gone through the DLC, should I buy 2 or go through the DLC for 1 first?

I really like 2 but there's no real reason to buy it right now if you have more of 1 to play. Go ahead, 2 will be there when you're finished.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Elex II carries on the Piranha Bytes tradition of having long tedious fights with little creatures be interrupted by level 100 monsters showing up that kill you by fuckin touching the ground near you.

Trying to like this game but aarghh it feels like it's trying to make me hate it.

Also annoyed that the game supposes that the main character spent 8 years between the end of the first game and this living in a cave oblivious to everything that's been going on. Like literally outside the cave is a town, there's no fuckin way you are this ignorant.

edit: god dammit the captain of the guard caught me committing theft while we were doing a security sweep, now he's shooting me with fireballs but he can't hurt me because we're allied

credburn fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 18, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Space is always super compressed in those games, so you don't have to tediously walk through empty terrain. Just mentally adjust the distances between locations by a few km of nothingness.

It is outright stated that he was fed up after Elex 1 and none of the factions would listen to him anyway.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Star Traders is incredible and you can honestly get by just picking things based on roleplaying flavor. The way the actual mechanical calculations work is pretty obtuse so it can be frustrating to powergame in but you really don't need to.

I found it to be incredibly difficult when making choices based on flavour and RP. Really felt as though I had to hyper specialize in one thing if I wanted to pass the checks. This was a year ago though, so maybe it’s been tweaked since then.

It doesn’t help that there are so many cool things to do. Hell yeah I’m going to try and spy on a planet. And of course I’m not going to say no to an alien archaeological expedition or smuggling illicit goods :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Here's a weird question:

On the Steam Client, I have literally never noticed before that on the left hand side is a section that shows recently viewed titles, tags, recommended, categories, browse by genre etc. Just noticed for the first time like 30 seconds ago, and right at the top it mentions my most recently browsed game on the store is "EA SPORTS FCTM 24"

I have literally never looked at that game before in my life or was even aware it existed. Can I assume the Client just straight up lies to make you think you were looking at some new release game in the hopes you'll buy it? Or has somebody somehow managed to break 2 factor authentication, log into my account and... browse titles on the store?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

League of Legends closed beta when a sizable chunk of the player base was goons because one of the devs posted here was extremely fun before anyone knew what they were doing. That's when mobas are good :hai: once people start theory crafting and metagaming and becoming pros they go downhill fast.

Another good example is the moba version of Monday Night Combat, it was extremely good because it didn't live long enough for anyone to figure it out. Good mobas are ephemeral

It's not even just MOBAs, this is pretty much every competitive game ever when players of it have become experienced and jaded. Hell, it's even a decent chunk of cooperative games and some single player games. Playing to win can really drain the fun out of a game if you let it take priority over playing for fun; knowledge gaps just help the toxicity fester faster.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I was curious to see if we would get another expeditions game but it looks like the studio is probably done :(

https://campfirecabal.com/studio-closure/

I think a lot of that team, the ones that didn't go to work on some blockchain (hahaha) game, are working on another. One of the developers said so on the Steam forums.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A friend and I picked up Dead Island 2 on sale on EGS to play co-op, and that game's pretty good! We played a lot of Dying Light 1/2 and I loved Dead Island 1 so I was looking forward to seeing how this stacks up. The combat is as you'd expect, but the hits feel a lot chunkier in Dead Island 2 compared to Dying Light 2. Heavy weapons like hammers and maces really feel brutal and the tech they have for sorta body deformation as zombies take damage is honestly pretty impressive. Seems like Dead Island 2 has more maps that you progress and backtrack through that are fairly large and open as opposed to the original game only having 3 large open maps and each act of the game taking place in a different open world area. Anyway, game's good if you're into Dying Light/Dead Island and possibly have a friend or two that can run around with you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is that on a one year EGS exclusive contract or an indefinite one? I’ve held off on buying it because I know what happens when I buy things on EGS- I never end up playing them because I forget the EGS launcher exists and end up getting them all a second time when the exclusivity ends.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is that on a one year EGS exclusive contract or an indefinite one? I’ve held off on buying it because I know what happens when I buy things on EGS- I never end up playing them because I forget the EGS launcher exists and end up getting them all a second time when the exclusivity ends.

Not sure, I was going to wait for what I assume was the inevitable steam release but the sale price with coupon on top was too good to pass up.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Abiotic Factor has a playtest that gives instant access to the demo. Here is a video of the game where he describes this as a mix between subnautica and halflife 2. Seems like a really cool game and also has 1-6 person coop (he plays this solo, seems fine that way).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72EFhL96yc8&t=78s

I haven't heard any mention of this game before, I haven't played it yet, but seems really cool.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Alan Wake 2 is fantastic, shame it is also buggy trash held together with duck tape and prayers. Aside from a host of other issues I encountered along the way, I already had to wait two weeks for them to patch a progression blocking bug last month, and now I guess I can wait again until they fix this new "not being able to pick up the inventory upgrade" bug.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

GhostDog posted:

Alan Wake 2 is fantastic, shame it is also buggy trash held together with duck tape and prayers. Aside from a host of other issues I encountered along the way, I already had to wait two weeks for them to patch a progression blocking bug last month, and now I guess I can wait again until they fix this new "not being able to pick up the inventory upgrade" bug.
That's some bad luck, I don't think I hit a single bug the entire time

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of alan wake 2, james mccaffrey (voice of max payne / alex casey) just died :smith:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Floodkiller posted:

It's not even just MOBAs, this is pretty much every competitive game ever when players of it have become experienced and jaded. Hell, it's even a decent chunk of cooperative games and some single player games. Playing to win can really drain the fun out of a game if you let it take priority over playing for fun; knowledge gaps just help the toxicity fester faster.

it’s more fun for those competitive players though. some people think competition and trying to play as good as possible is really fun. different strokes ig

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Foul Fowl posted:

it’s more fun for those competitive players though. some people think competition and trying to play as good as possible is really fun. different strokes ig
"Different strokes" only applies if the other strokes are also present and accounted for. Competitive toxicity seems to infect all corners of even remotely competitive games, even played non-competitively. I stopped playing Overwatch years ago ecause even in casual unranked matchmaking people on my own team were telling me to kill myself because I didn't know the exact correct metagame or whatever. It's just exhausting to be around people who think that the Work Hard And Become The Best At All Costs training montage mindset is somehow indicative of a superior personality.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

That's me!

I never finished BG3 because the novelty of figuring out the mechanics wore off. Same with Rogue Trader now, largely figured out how to break combat and now I'm bored.

But I'll never get bored of DOTA, always something I can do better / smarter or otherwise improve on.

^^sociopathic man children aren't the games fault

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that’s obviously not what i was talking about though, that post was talking about metagaming and theory crafting and all these other terms that boil down to putting a lot of effort at getting good at the game

e: responding to volte not the poster above (i’m the same this is why i play fighting games)

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 18, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

repiv posted:

speaking of alan wake 2, james mccaffrey (voice of max payne / alex casey) just died :smith:

Also the voice of Thomas Zane and Zachariah Trench. :smith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think competitive games are a lot better when they rely on player intuition and instinct instead of number crunching and meta knowledge, which is part of what makes Legion TD2 the best competitive game :colbert:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://store.steampowered.com/yearinreview/
Steam year in review up.

As usual my most played is

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BG3, Darktide, Spider-Man, Vermintide 2, and Solasta. Sounds about right.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Volte posted:

"Different strokes" only applies if the other strokes are also present and accounted for. Competitive toxicity seems to infect all corners of even remotely competitive games, even played non-competitively. I stopped playing Overwatch years ago ecause even in casual unranked matchmaking people on my own team were telling me to kill myself because I didn't know the exact correct metagame or whatever. It's just exhausting to be around people who think that the Work Hard And Become The Best At All Costs training montage mindset is somehow indicative of a superior personality.

One reason hunt has held my interest longer than any other competitive game is that the possibility space is so big that it’s kind of resistant to forming a correct way to play or metagame beyond the very broad strokes. every fight is unique and you can make an argument for many different approaches to a situation, so as long as your teammates try their best that’s all you can ask for because there really isn’t some meta choreography they’re supposed to know and follow. I also think the game sometimes being pure psychological torment means that the people who stick with it are more likely to be cool to play with. the folks I’ve met playing hunt on the awful discord are legitimately the coolest people that I’ve played any game with and generally very good at limiting emotions to frustration with the game, not with each other. (I’d still never play it with pubs though)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Nobody asked about this but Tower Unite is a really nice chill game for farting around and visiting random peoples houses “condos” and seeing how they designed it. Dunno how it compares to Second Life or VR chat, but it definitely fills that “3D chat room” niche. Theres a lot more to the game, like mini games and shared plazas, but 90% of my time is visiting random peoples houses and chatting up the owners as I ask them about their video game collections since the game allows custom objects and canvases/textures.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sab669 posted:

^^sociopathic man children aren't the games fault
Sure, but it doesn't really matter if the end result is the same. I don't think there's anything to be done about it, but it's a valid lament. I'm not a MOBA player but the rise of the competitive grindset (and the toxicity that inevitably comes with it) has definitely put me off team-based multiplayer games in general, even casually. (edit: Ironically CoD despite having a reputation for angry 12 year olds is one of the only ones I still feel fully comfortable playing casually because nobody really seems to give a poo poo about unranked matchmaking. Sure there's the occasional dipshit that'll get mad, but that attitude doesn't feel like it's in the air at all times when I'm playing.)

Foul Fowl posted:

that’s obviously not what i was talking about though, that post was talking about metagaming and theory crafting and all these other terms that boil down to putting a lot of effort at getting good at the game
The post was lamenting a previous time with less focus on raw quantifiable performance and meta knowledge. After all it also comes down to caring about how good other people are at the game. You can't really theorycraft in isolation. It's not a problem or a deficiency to be fixed, but it is an aspect of online gaming that has changed drastically over the years.

Volte fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 18, 2023

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

I think competitive games are a lot better when they rely on player intuition and instinct instead of number crunching and meta knowledge, which is part of what makes Legion TD2 the best competitive game :colbert:

don't they all, basically? i mean i don't play dota or league of legends or overwatch but i imagine in those games, like fighting games, the metagame is a relatively small part of 99% of players' overall performance, and that the metagame mostly matters at the very highest level of skill, but it's oversized in everyone's imagination because 'character broken' is easier to swallow than 'opponent is more skilled'

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

OgNar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/yearinreview/
Steam year in review up.

As usual my most played is

I can’t wait to play this again. I like to give it a few version updates before hopping in. I think it’s been 2 versions, but it doesn’t quite feel *right* in terms of time yet. Steam says I played it last in Feb ‘22. How much has changed?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Owl Inspector posted:

One reason hunt has held my interest longer than any other competitive game is that the possibility space is so big that it’s kind of resistant to forming a correct way to play or metagame beyond the very broad strokes. every fight is unique and you can make an argument for many different approaches to a situation, so as long as your teammates try their best that’s all you can ask for because there really isn’t some meta choreography they’re supposed to know and follow.

This just convinced me to finally pull the trigger on buying Hunt because that's exactly what I love so much about Legion TD2. The amount of possible permutations and the limited information provided to you (all while under a time crunch) makes it impossible to math out the ideal move to make in any given situation and it always comes down to "do what you think is best" instead of having objectively correct moves to make.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volte posted:

Sure, but it doesn't really matter if the end result is the same. I don't think there's anything to be done about it, but it's a valid lament. I'm not a MOBA player but the rise of the competitive grindset (and the toxicity that inevitably comes with it) has definitely put me off team-based multiplayer games in general, even casually.

The post was lamenting a previous time with less focus on raw quantifiable performance and meta knowledge. After all it also comes down to caring about how good other people are at the game. You can't really theorycraft in isolation. It's not a problem or a deficiency to be fixed, but it is an aspect of online gaming that has changed drastically over the years.

I dunno, that feels pretty revisionist to me, honestly. You definitely had plenty of people telling you to kill yourself back in the days of 1.6 and DoD and other competitive things of that era. Even poo poo like Midtown Madness 2 or loving chess on the Microsoft gaming thing that it has been so long I don't even remember the name now had people occasionally flip the gently caress out.

I think what's changed is that there hasn't been enough push back over the years on people who are already willing to act like that being psychopaths and now they can find echo chambers of other pieces of poo poo on Discord or what have you, much easier than the Vent or Roger Wilco days. It's not the competition, per se, it's just assholes getting louder.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Volte posted:

That's some bad luck, I don't think I hit a single bug the entire time

To me it seems the game has some real issues with states/triggers. Like, they tried to do this somewhat nonlinear thing but then they also have certain conditionals that need to be met for things to progress and they just don't work right.

It's a small thing, but if I start the game and mash the A button to skip the splash screens I have to agree to the EULA again, every time. If I just let it start up without pressing anything, I don't. Like, just don't do anything to disturb the order of operations, or else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Volte posted:

Sure, but it doesn't really matter if the end result is the same. I don't think there's anything to be done about it, but it's a valid lament.

The thing to do about it is parents today raising their gaming kids with actual "sportsmanship". Like that's the crux of it; a lot of the people playing these games never played team sports and never learned that you win and lose as a team. Sometimes your teammates let you down, somtimes you let them down. The distance created by playing online doesn't help, but it's just a basic lack of respect for the people in the game.