Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cold on a Cob posted:

English in India contains a number of archaic English expressions and words. Some seem to be going away; I haven’t seen “do the needful” in quite awhile for example.

e: lol there it is

i get emails every week telling me to "do the needful"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

yeah but those are from me

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

kindly do the needless

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
all the mails I get say "please revert"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Were they from an older generation where benedictions were more commonly used?
It does seem a bit too friendly for business language, though.

I used to favour all sorts of variations on "Yours ...,\n&NAME" with words like appreciatively, thankfully, helpfully, and so on and so forth.
Someone once observed that if I was being curt with people, I'd just end with "Yours,\n&NAME" and I was surprised to learn they were right.

no but they did have a very old taste in jumpers

most people get a "regards, $name" or a "thanks, $name" unless I'm pissed off and then they just get $name

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cool people get my first initial, and if they’re really cool they start doing it back

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you mean they just start drawing a big "L" on all your work?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
just walking around the office like

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

my boss signs off with =)NAME

I use mvh* Name externally and /Name internally

* med venlig hilsen = with kind regards, danish boilerplate

basically everyone starts with Hej/Hi Name, freaks and weirdos write Kćre/Dear

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cold on a Cob posted:

English in India contains a number of archaic English expressions and words. Some seem to be going away; I haven’t seen “do the needful” in quite awhile for example.

e: lol there it is

a surprising amount of instances of the word cum as well

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jabor posted:

you mean they just start drawing a big "L" on all your work?

I knew someone whose name had three Ls as initials and would sign off with L3

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Maybe they're a fan of Lebesgue spaces

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

sounds like they were very unresponsive

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"prepone" is probably my fave Indianism. because it isn't a word in standard English, but when you hear it in context it makes complete logical sense lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

"prepone" is probably my fave Indianism. because it isn't a word in standard English, but when you hear it in context it makes complete logical sense lol
excuse me while I prepwn my server

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Chris Knight posted:

is that the opposite of postpone? i love it and will use it in the future

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

is that the opposite of postpone? i love it and will use it in the future
yep!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

that's definitely a word I've heard used in regular English

I mean not often but.....

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

my boss signs off with =)NAME

I use mvh* Name externally and /Name internally

* med venlig hilsen = with kind regards, danish boilerplate

basically everyone starts with Hej/Hi Name, freaks and weirdos write Kćre/Dear

J

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also if you have correspondents in the us military, they almost all universally use v/r or very respectfully

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Subjunctive posted:

there was a thing recently that I can't find (but trust me!) where a Russian cyberoperative was trying to manipulate or trick or whatever a person at a UK college by impersonating someone, but it was detected because the chancellor had banned the "hope this finds you well" sort of email prelude

though not the thing in question and not even really the same class of linguistic tell, but lol@ https://twitter.com/SevaUT/status/1684573361526169601 recently

frequent use of "dear friends" as the literal translation of the common formal soviet "дорогие друзья" is the one that usually stands out to me

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I know of the idiomatic Japanese expression that literally translates to "it cannot be helped".

"He is going to lose, it cannot be helped"
You find it in anime translations sometimes.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Carbon dioxide posted:

I know of the idiomatic Japanese expression that literally translates to "it cannot be helped".

"He is going to lose, it cannot be helped"
You find it in anime translations sometimes.

“it can’t be helped” is an idiomatic English expression. the Japanese phrase that’s commonly translated that way literally means something more like “there is no way”.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NFX posted:

I knew exactly what you were talking about and spent way too long trying to find it. […] i feel very strongly that ya'll need to know about dame sally mapstone

I appreciate your diligence; I gave up too easily it seems

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

shikata ga nai. and it's also the name of a metasploit payload encoder

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

champagne posting posted:

a surprising amount of instances of the word cum as well

https://drdo.gov.in/120-mm-penetration-cum-blast-pcb-and-thermobaric-tb-ammunition-mbt-arjun

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I guess cum blasting is the next frontier of warfare

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

shikata ga nai. and it's also the name of a metasploit payload encoder

There's also "shouga nai", which means "there is no ginger"

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
so apparently some moderately well-trafficked anonymous economist website is notorious for racism and sexism, as anonymous sites are often wont to be. the problem was the anonymity was coming from an unsalted hash of the users ip.
someone figured this out, brute forced the IPs, and put out a paper identifying the racist and sexist stuff coming from basically every major university

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/15/1197956091/econ-job-market-rumors-ip-addresses

the website is calling this hacking and went to what's obviously a definitive source, ChatGPT:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/faculty-issues/diversity-equity/2023/07/20/study-says-it-found-ip-addresses-anonymous-ejmr posted:

EJMR sent an email saying, “you may wish to consider what a neutral actor (ChatGPT) thinks about the study.”

EJMR’s email then includes a question to that artificial intelligence program: “Would reverse engineering partial hash codes of thousands of website users to get their IPs with brute force be considered hacking?” ChatGPT, according to the email, replied “Yes, that activity would certainly be considered hacking, and more specifically, it would be illegal and unethical.”

here's a sample thread with the 4 digit hex codes included. shocked it took someone this long to try to reverse it

https://www.econjobrumors.com/topic/are-you-safe-or-not-from-doxxing-chart

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"a neutral actor" oh my god it's not a magic genie you loving rubes

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's not even an actor. these people are too stupid to breathe

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it's like the default mode for the bluechecks on Twitter when replying to an actual expert to do the "well i asked ChatGPT about this and"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the best part of chatgpt is i can immediately disregard the opinions of anyone who brings it up as a source

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

spankmeister posted:

it's not even an actor. these people are too stupid to breathe

well, they’re economists, so clearly there’s a market for someone to handle the breathing for them while they handle the higher value work (posting racist poo poo on pseudonymous forums)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

it's like the default mode for the bluechecks on Twitter when replying to an actual expert to do the "well i asked ChatGPT about this and"

lol of course the kind of people who are willing to give elon money are also eager to defer to the magic robot daddy about everything

mystes
May 31, 2006

uninterrupted posted:

so apparently some moderately well-trafficked anonymous economist website is notorious for racism and sexism, as anonymous sites are often wont to be. the problem was the anonymity was coming from an unsalted hash of the users ip.
someone figured this out, brute forced the IPs, and put out a paper identifying the racist and sexist stuff coming from basically every major university

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/15/1197956091/econ-job-market-rumors-ip-addresses

the website is calling this hacking and went to what's obviously a definitive source, ChatGPT:

here's a sample thread with the 4 digit hex codes included. shocked it took someone this long to try to reverse it

https://www.econjobrumors.com/topic/are-you-safe-or-not-from-doxxing-chart
Lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

racist economists you say? well now ive seen everything!

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

they're also dumb as poo poo and make sweeping generalizations about unrelated fields

quote:

If you post from home using a private ISP such as Cox or AT&T, hundreds of users literally share the same IP. It's not possible for them to pin a specific post to YOU.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
haha amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

They don't seem very knowledgeable about security so someone should probably just create some fake "see if you were doxxed by the ip address leak" site to trick them into entering their actual names