Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Negative, You need to manually install mods (downloaded from Nexus mods). It takes a little bit of work but it’s otherwise simply dropping mods into the appropriate folder in the Deck files. No need to tinker with the Deck itself if that’s something you’re not interested. The most “complicated” part is adding a line of text to the launch options.

I managed to install like 50+ Skyrim mods from the Nexus on my Deck, so I can probably figure this out.

Granted that was last year and I don't remember how I did it, but, eh :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I've only played World and Rise but I did like Rise more. I didn't like the clutch claw mechanics-wise and I find the wire bugs to be more useful overall (especially defensively). I do miss the tracking, I thought that had some cool immersion to it. The levels being more complex probably added to that since there was more exploration that could be done. Mounting vs Rodeo, I find them both kind of meh mechanically. No strong feelings one way or the other. I don't care for either game's tower defense modes.

Things that set Rise above for me are the ability customizations (huge), wire bugs and associated moves, and, in my opinion, better looking weapons and armor.

Honestly, my biggest complaint is that I do not believe that dango alone is a satisfying meal.

The best of both would probably be Rise but with World-scaled levels (and graphical fidelity).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Brutakas posted:

Honestly, my biggest complaint is that I do not believe that dango alone is a satisfying meal.

I'm greatly looking forward to getting to eat real food again in Wilds.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Rise is excellent, and a real blast, but I agree with those saying it smooths things out a little too much. Oh, and you absolutely have to install the matchmaking mod for rise on PC. The matchmaking is locked to your local region so it takes forever to find an sos flare unless you install the mod for worldwide matchmaking. Lag hasn't been an issue halfway across the world either, so it's mystifying why it's locked to begin with.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

pnumoman posted:

Rise is excellent, and a real blast, but I agree with those saying it smooths things out a little too much. Oh, and you absolutely have to install the matchmaking mod for rise on PC. The matchmaking is locked to your local region so it takes forever to find an sos flare unless you install the mod for worldwide matchmaking. Lag hasn't been an issue halfway across the world either, so it's mystifying why it's locked to begin with.

It's funny, they did the exact same thing with Street Fighter 6 despite it also having amazing netcode that can handle long-distance connections. Eventually they tweaked it because everyone was complaining about only matching up with the three other players in the same zipcode as them. Capcom just doesn't trust their own netcode. :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I might have to actually play rise if that's what this is for.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I think Rise has some presentation deficiencies compared to World that make it lesser-than for me; but the gameplay and monsters are at least as good. World had a real 'weight' to it, in visuals and gameplay. I know in Rise, you're basically from a ninja village, so I get them wanting you to feel lighter. But the sounds on the weapons are just totally anemic vs how they were in World, and even if that seems superficial, it made a big difference to me. Also it's ugly - like, not just so it works on Swtich, like the color grading and zones, and most of the armor sets. It's just not a super pretty game.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Captain Lavender posted:

Also it's ugly - like, not just so it works on Swtich, like the color grading and zones, and most of the armor sets. It's just not a super pretty game.

this opinion is buckwild

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nuebot posted:

Rise is done as far as updates go. 99/100 this is just gonna be a Zoid'd up Rathalos model kit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Rise is done as far as updates go. 99/100 this is just gonna be a Zoid'd up Rathalos model kit.

That's better because then I don't have to play rise.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Rise on a PC with max settings and HDR is gorgeous. World is still drat pretty, and overall presents better, but it's starting to show it's age a little bit. I would personally put them on par with each other visually.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

Zoids kick rear end and I will throwdown however much money I need to for the Monhun kits.

Hoping for Brachy or Glavenus

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

If it’s not a Liger Zero Mangnalamo fight what are we even doing here

Estel
May 4, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I think Rise has some presentation deficiencies compared to World that make it lesser-than for me; but the gameplay and monsters are at least as good. World had a real 'weight' to it, in visuals and gameplay. I know in Rise, you're basically from a ninja village, so I get them wanting you to feel lighter. But the sounds on the weapons are just totally anemic vs how they were in World, and even if that seems superficial, it made a big difference to me. Also it's ugly - like, not just so it works on Swtich, like the color grading and zones, and most of the armor sets. It's just not a super pretty game.

pnumoman posted:

Rise on a PC with max settings and HDR is gorgeous. World is still drat pretty, and overall presents better, but it's starting to show it's age a little bit. I would personally put them on par with each other visually.

I think it's more a matter of if you are looking at the characters and monsters or everything in the screen. Rise has characters and monsters practically on par with World but the locales are more boring and empty. That doesn't mean Rise is uglier than World but aesthetically World is a lot stronger compared to Rise and that is why some people may feel Rise is "uglier".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nuebot posted:

You should play Rise anyway.

Besides we all know this is a full MH Zoids game slated for 2024!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It'll be set in a town called Zoidburg

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Estel posted:

That doesn't mean Rise is uglier than World but

It does actually.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I don't care how "ugly" Rise is, I will play it everytime over World and it's boring monster selection and pseudo-GaaS garbage.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I don't care how "ugly" Rise is, I will play it everytime over World and it's boring monster selection and pseudo-GaaS garbage.

personally i love hunting a monster and then turning my axe into the same axe with a feather

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I guess I didn't have any issues with the monsters or gear in World because I hadn't played any other games.

I thought all the monsters were really cool, and the big boss fights were awesome.

E:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rise runs perfect on the Deck, can be modded for even more QoL (running on 16:10 ratio which it doesnt natively support), and is fantastic on the go. Once I got my Deck I actually preferred playing Rise on it than on PC.

Which mod is the resolution modifier? I found one that unlocks the framerate, but didn't see a res one. Also... lots of uh... "clothing" mods...

Annath fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 16, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Time to play some other Monster Hunters then! I've only played 3 (Rise, World, GU) but they're all excellent. If you like the fights you owe it to yourself to try out some other MH to get a bunch more cool monsters with sick fights.

Anyway, also I think MR World has some pretty cool armors. Base world maybe not so much until the Elder Dragons but Iceborne turned it around.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Annath posted:

Which mod is the resolution modifier? I found one that unlocks the framerate, but didn't see a res one. Also... lots of uh... "clothing" mods...

It’s part of Rise Scripts

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Time to play some other Monster Hunters then! I've only played 3 (Rise, World, GU) but they're all excellent. If you like the fights you owe it to yourself to try out some other MH to get a bunch more cool monsters with sick fights.

Anyway, also I think MR World has some pretty cool armors. Base world maybe not so much until the Elder Dragons but Iceborne turned it around.

World at least gave us the female Paolumu armour with the fluffy collar that looks super comfy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You should play Rise anyway.

Besides we all know this is a full MH Zoids game slated for 2024!

I didn't like it, too fast for my blood. I tried it! I just didn't have fun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm old and i have poor reflexes. that's part of why i main lance.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
https://twitter.com/QuirklessStoner/status/1736061752033394928?s=19

World stay winning

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What's the verdict on the Iceborne Community mod

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I just wish I could hang out with the monsters in Rise without them immediately aggroing to me.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Countblanc posted:

IMO it's very good. Cutscene skip and fast quest finish are great QOL, and the balance changes make the clutch claw more situational and not at all required.

I like the weapon balance changes too but I know that's more controversial.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Countblanc posted:

As ^^^ the base gameplay tweaks are great to have in one nice package and they're well done, I like them.

But it also comes bundled with individual weapon changes that vary in breadth/impact of change across the weapons. If you like what they've done for your weapons of choice, great. If not, time to look at how to simulate some of what ICE does using individual mods - I don't think you can get all of the core gameplay stuff that way, unfortunately.

I like the Omni lance rework for Gunlance for eg, though it's pretty comprehensive. Ditto their far more minimal changes for CB.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

v1ld posted:

I like the Omni lance rework for Gunlance for eg, though it's pretty comprehensive. Ditto their far more minimal changes for CB.

Adding to this: I also like the HH changes (which are basically just across-the-board damage buffs) and the GS changes (which add a new and entirely optional "combo-oriented" playstyle to supplement the TCS-focused playstyle from the base game, among other good changes).

I haven't played much with the other weapons but I can see DB, SnS, and LS being pretty controversial. The SA changes look quite nice to me but I haven't tried them out.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
After I picked up Rise on PS5 I couldn't play the switch version anymore. PS5 looks gorgeous and the load times are so drat fast compared to switch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

2025 feels like a long time away after rise. don’t they historically announce new titles closer to release?

I’m really glad the new game is targeting PS5 instead of switch since the visuals of world are one of the best things about it and still add a lot of value to that game for me, even if I thought rise felt a lot better to play. but the visuals in the trailer honestly didn’t look great compared to world’s fantastic lighting, especially for something targeting PS5. a bit strange for a first impression.

it would be awesome if the open world means they’re taking a stab at some death stranding-style building mechanics like wild hearts. That game turned out to be extraordinarily bad but I still think monster hunter + death stranding is a slam dunk of an idea and could be great if it was executed well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Man, it's been a while since I played World...

I installed Rise, grabbed my trusty Charge Blade, and... realized I have completely lost the muscle memory to time the blocks and swap to the correct mode :v:

But the game definitely looks pretty! Not as pretty as World, but still really good.

I will say that the Dango is a big letdown. As a diabetic, I can't help but think about how they're just devouring big balls of dough lmao. The obscenely indulgent meal cutscenes from World were much better lol.

They even got a nod in World of Warcraft with a daily event that culminates in a similar cutscene of overindulgence.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Owl Inspector posted:

2025 feels like a long time away after rise. don’t they historically announce new titles closer to release?

It's entirely possible that going open world and having crossplay (everyone cross your loving fingers) is taking the dev team longer than expected, and they don't want to have a repeat of Tri where they introduce a new environmental concept only to have everything else suffer for it. I'll happily sacrifice MHWilds coming out in 2024 if it means it comes out out finished in 2025.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

2025 means I got time to save up for a PS5 so I can play with my friends

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

It's okay I need at least until 2025 to play through Frontier.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

It's entirely possible that going open world and having crossplay (everyone cross your loving fingers) is taking the dev team longer than expected, and they don't want to have a repeat of Tri where they introduce a new environmental concept only to have everything else suffer for it. I'll happily sacrifice MHWilds coming out in 2024 if it means it comes out out finished in 2025.

So you're saying they're bringing underwater combat back. Awesome.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I just miss my friend Lagiacrus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Can't believe that not only are they bringing back underwater combat in Wilds but that every monster is just a variant of Gobul