Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao amazing

I had to do a bunch of WIC stuff for work a few years ago and it’s the most paternalistic weird program. The stuff you can buy is different in every state and it’s limited by size and brand and flavor, so for example you might be able to buy one specific peanut butter brand or like tortillas but only if they’re mission brand flour tortillas in a 12 pack and they’re 12” and not 10” or 14”

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

wic is such a needlessly cruel program. like the approved items list is never updated and it excludes items that get replaced with bonus sizes containers

having to see that poo poo when i had to fill in as a cashier was such a crack ping

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mola Yam posted:

hm i'd rather be flying and loving, but if you want to run through your powerpoints that's great too i guess

i keep dreaming that i have to fly someplace far away for work (usually china or paris) on shirt notice and im running late and have a suitcase full of non-useful items. those fuckers have already ruined my dreams. ill be damned if they do it more!

e: WIC is such an unbelievable pain in the rear end. i worked in a grocery store in high school. i had free school meals and was on SNAP, so it wasn't like i was angry at the women trying to feed their kids, but we had to run WIC through as a separate purchase - either do the WIC stuff before or after the rest of their cart, and the restrictions were so asinine. no, you really can't get this 24 oz jar of peanut butter. it has to be the 32 ounce of the same brand. yes, i know the smaller one is on sale and less per ounce than the big one. sorry, you grabbed the medium eggs, they gotta be large. you cannot have strawberry jelly, it says you can only have grape. i got very good at quickly heading off to grab the exact correct item so they wouldn't have to go hunting. hopefully they're not the paper vouchers anymore too

Eat This Glob has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Dec 17, 2023

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

0 rows returned posted:

wic is such a needlessly cruel program. like the approved items list is never updated and it excludes items that get replaced with bonus sizes containers

having to see that poo poo when i had to fill in as a cashier was such a crack ping

I suspect that it’s the way it is due to industry lobbying. They push for particular products that they know they’re producing in bulk and want to make sure move faster, so it helps to have a nice little captive market. That’s the only rubric I can understand the bizarre juice selections in, because otherwise it really just seems like somebody ways throwing darts at a board, like maybe you can get kiwi-banana-papaya but not kiwi- banana or kiwi-orange-papaya or whatever (made up examples but illustrative)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the cruelty, i sigh wearily, is the point

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Eat This Glob posted:

hopefully they're not the paper vouchers anymore too

I think every state's finally moved to the "eWIC" system where the cash register automatically reconciles the purchases with the available benefits, so it's not five minutes of individually ringing up every WIC item with a single check any more, but the covered items are still as arbitrary as ever and it requires the store has an eWIC-compliant point-of-sale system which means it's harder/more expensive for small stores to offer it

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
In parts of Australia they stopped putting cash into some first nations people's accounts to spend on what they wanted, and instead gave them a government controlled debit card that won't let them purchase certain things. Only black people in "problem areas". Whites get to spend their government support $ however they like.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bald Stalin posted:

In parts of Australia they stopped putting cash into some first nations people's accounts to spend on what they wanted, and instead gave them a government controlled debit card that won't let them purchase certain things. Only black people in "problem areas". Whites get to spend their government support $ however they like.

Here our program treats all the poor people equally bad because we're the great melting pot

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

WIC is a terrible, cruel system, yes, but we’re kind of burying the lede that a milk producer is redefining the measure of a half-gallon, presumably as a cost-cutting measure, while the country is still overproducing milk to the point that the government has been buying it to keep dairy farmers afloat.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
immiseration? in my economic system built on immiseration?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

0 rows returned posted:

doesn't it exclude a lot of like. actual food. im not usamerican so idk but from what i understand it seems stubbornly obsessed with keeping people away from certain real food items in addition to other basic necessities too

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

cash crab posted:

doesn't it exclude a lot of like. actual food. im not usamerican so idk but from what i understand it seems stubbornly obsessed with keeping people away from certain real food items in addition to other basic necessities too

at least in my state it’s a lot of weird restrictions on items as discussed but also absolutely nothing that is heated. if it is heated, food stamps won’t buy it.

you can buy a frozen microwave burrito and heat it after just fine, but an empanada is a bridge too far.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Red Baron posted:

at least in my state it’s a lot of weird restrictions on items as discussed but also absolutely nothing that is heated. if it is heated, food stamps won’t buy it.

you can buy a frozen microwave burrito and heat it after just fine, but an empanada is a bridge too far.

Food stamps (SNAP) and WIC are two completely different programs with entirely different rules because gently caress you that's why

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
huh, I had no idea

being poor in America sounds like it’s exhausting on top of how much it sucks already.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Red Baron posted:

huh, I had no idea

being poor in America sounds like it’s exhausting on top of how much it sucks already.

its illegal

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bald Stalin posted:

I believe that, like us, you have prohibition, but only in indigenous areas?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
It's quite a trick. See your way through these ever shifting restrictions to simply exist, let them twist and shape your identity. Other shoppers can look down on you for being lazy or taking up their time, "taking advantage" to eat in a country with staggering wealth and food. Still other people will abstain or otherwise not have access, out of any mix of bureaucracy ignorance inability or pride, and become a statistic that will somehow be leveraged as an argument against helping anybody.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Red Baron posted:

huh, I had no idea

It’s really expensive to be poor in the US, both in terms of money and time. For instance, if you don’t have a washing machine in your apartment, you’ve got to go to a laundromat, which will cost you a few bucks a load, and since you’re not leaving your clothes unattended in case someone steals them, you’re stuck there for an hour or so.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Frosted Flake posted:

I believe that, like us, you have prohibition, but only in indigenous areas?

In some places. How much is the local community asking for it vs. it being imposed vs. does that matter, I dunno.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

cash crab posted:

so the two food assistance programs in the US are:
  • SNAP, for anyone under a certain income threshold, can be used to buy any kind of food except for hot prepared food -- this is the program conservatives are complaining about when they're talking about people buying crab legs with food stamps
  • WIC, the supplemental program for mothers of young children, can only be used to buy specific monthly amounts of specific staple foods (milk, formula, jarred baby food, cheese, cereal, fruit juice, beans, etc.) off a pre-approved list of UPCs, and there's also a complicated schedule of which ages of children qualify for which foods

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There's also different sub-variants of SNAP:

SNAP EBT Food: This is the one that has the lists upon lists of valid things you can buy with it, and the stupid rules like "warming it up first disqualifies it"

SNAP EBT Cash: This is usually a smaller amount (if you get it at all) and acts basically like a debit card, in that you can spend it on whatever you want, or go to an ATM and withdraw it as cash. Except they still added some dumb paternalistic restrictions even though they're completely pointless, like you can't buy anything alcoholic with it. So if you want beer you have to first withdraw the value as cash and use the cash to buy the beer.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

All of this is managed through a private contractor for no reason just to make sure corporations get welfare from the welfare program, and each state has a different special private contractor for running it, so how much of a living hell your life is depends on how competent the particular contractor that took the governor out to golf 20 years ago or whatever happens to be.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I've probably complained about it in this thread before, but back when I worked in a sandwich place, it changed my worldview to see a sandwich was covered by EBT, but that same sandwich run through a toaster wasn't. Absolutely ludicrous, esoteric horseshit that only very technically helped the people who used it.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

SNAP EBT Cash: This is usually a smaller amount (if you get it at all) and acts basically like a debit card, in that you can spend it on whatever you want, or go to an ATM and withdraw it as cash. Except they still added some dumb paternalistic restrictions even though they're completely pointless, like you can't buy anything alcoholic with it. So if you want beer you have to first withdraw the value as cash and use the cash to buy the beer.

when the cash benefits were new, there was a big outrage about how some recipients were taking out money at ATMs located in places like strip clubs and head shops, as if the money was going to instantly fly out of their hands in exchange for a lap dance or a bong

then it turned out that most of those ATMs were just the closest one to where the recipients lived or worked, but that didn't stop states from blocking EBT cards in those ATMs anyway

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Also, poor people should be able to enjoy things.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Shame Boy posted:

There's also different sub-variants of SNAP:

SNAP EBT Food: This is the one that has the lists upon lists of valid things you can buy with it, and the stupid rules like "warming it up first disqualifies it"

i love rules lawyering especially when the entire point is just to make people suffer harder with more steps

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Bald Stalin posted:

syq please

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Bald Stalin posted:

No, sorry, joy is reserved for the monied.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bald Stalin posted:

oh great, another "let people enjoy things" poster

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

you know who else enjoyed strip clubs?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mawarannahr posted:

you know who else enjoyed strip clubs?

urmom

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

And that strip clubs name was Albert Einstein

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SpacePig posted:

No, sorry, joy is reserved for the monied.

People go bananas over homeless people with pets I've discovered.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

cash crab posted:

i love rules lawyering especially when the entire point is just to make people suffer harder with more steps
Ideas for the revolution:
Take the worst administrators in SNAP, health care etc. who literally are just this, take half their wealth, and give that and any drugs he might want to Matt Mercer in exchange for hosting a massive game of D&D where they can get into day-long arguments about doing anything for all of eternity. Will Wheaton makes all dice rolls for all players.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Islamic Shock posted:

Ideas for the revolution:
Take the worst administrators in SNAP, health care etc. who literally are just this, take half their wealth, and give that and any drugs he might want to Matt Mercer in exchange for hosting a massive game of D&D where they can get into day-long arguments about doing anything for all of eternity. Will Wheaton makes all dice rolls for all players.

Or we could strip them naked in the street and shoot them in the mouth.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

lol i just remembered that time my future wife and i were simultaneously unemployed and with unemployment, we made too much money to qualify for SNAP. you need to be broker than "currently earning no income beyond your unemployment check" to eat in america

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

lol i just remembered that time my future wife and i were simultaneously unemployed and with unemployment, we made too much money to qualify for SNAP. you need to be broker than "currently earning no income beyond your unemployment check" to eat in america

And even then you only get a couple months and you have to apply for like 10-15 jobs a day and produce paperwork proving that.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Koishi Komeiji posted:

And even then you only get a couple months and you have to apply for like 10-15 jobs a day and produce paperwork proving that.

ive only heard of 3/week being required for unemployment. is there an additional requirement for snap ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

ive only heard of 3/week being required for unemployment. is there an additional requirement for snap ?

quote:

General work requirements apply to people aged 16 to 59 to participate in the program, exempting students, caregivers of children under 6 and incapacitate people, people unable to work due to a disability, and people in drug rehabilitation. Such recipients must work 30 hours a week, or register for work or participate in state training; they may not reduce hours below 30 per week if working, quit, or decline a job offer without a good reason.[35] For able-bodied adults aged 18 to 49 without dependents under 18 in the household and who are not pregnant, there is a requirement for 80 hours per month spent at work, volunteering, workfare, or workforce training.

So "have a job or do some volunteering busywork or you don't get poo poo"