Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

A Fancy Hat posted:

The best wrestling matches are the ones that can tell a story in the ring.

The worst wrestling fans are the ones that can only understand a story if it's told outside of the ring.

It's always been a really weird disconnect for me.

ah yes, the Marvel-ification of wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Venomous posted:

ah yes, the Marvel-ification of wrestling

You need to understand the lore before you can appreciate guys giving monologues inside of the ring.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The_Rob posted:

You need to understand the lore before you can appreciate guys giving monologues inside of the ring.

https://x.com/bryanalvarez/status/1349172183403094019?s=20

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Doing the "WWE should bring back the Nation of Domination" but with a twist.

https://twitter.com/AEW_Blog/status/1736488068658417965

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
Well I'm pretty sure Sega would prefer they call the series Like A Dragon now, but.. Oh wait they were just being weird and racist, nevermind.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the whiplash on that idea, jeez

-AEW should bring back Ryo Mizunami, everyone's cool bigger brother
:cool: :dance: :rock:

-...as part of a stable of Japanese gangsters, because what else could they possibly do with all that talent but make sure they conform to an easily identified stereotype :negative:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SatansOnion posted:

the whiplash on that idea, jeez

-AEW should bring back Ryo Mizunami, everyone's cool bigger brother
:cool: :dance: :rock:

-...as part of a stable of Japanese gangsters, because what else could they possibly do with all that talent but make sure they conform to an easily identified stereotype :negative:

I’d like it more if they were just cute fun loving girls who love beating everyone up for fun.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Oh my god I missed the word Yakuza in the tweet at first and was just like "oh yeah more joshis would be awesome but putting them in a stable just because they're all Japanese is pretty wack" and now I'm just...nooooooo. no don't do that

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Put all the Joshis in the BCC.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
goons constantly calling Shida with a kendo stick Yakuza Shida: ok
having more than 1 yakuza joshi with a stick: no bad

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Have people on the forums been associating Shida with the Yakuza?

I think it’s just been in term of fashion sense but maybe I missed seeing it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TV Zombie posted:

Have people on the forums been associating Shida with the Yakuza?

I think it’s just been in term of fashion sense but maybe I missed seeing it.

Trusting the forums search engine this phrase has been used six times in the last two years including the post you are replying to. I hope these posters are ashamed.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

I can't recall if I've seen folks in here talk about the whole Yakuza/Shida thing, but I remember seeing fantasy booking on Reddit after Shida wore dope rear end suits that one time.

https://twitter.com/shidahikaru/status/1362972914002386947?t=QIuhK8fb_qRoMO9JadhRuQ&s=19

I would like to see Shida look and act like a goddamn boss because she rules. Probz don't need to loop in all the joshis bc they're Japanese tho.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AEW does need more girl gangs tho

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

spooky girl gang is a huge step in the right direction

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

coconono posted:

AEW does need more girl gangs tho

This is very true. Girl gangs are always cool

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MassRafTer posted:

Trusting the forums search engine this phrase has been used six times in the last two years including the post you are replying to. I hope these posters are ashamed.

And are they even people describing that as her character or talking about the rumor that she stopped doing the white suit (which she looked loving cool in) to avoid a yakuza image?
Because that's the only context I remember seeing it.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

What a buffoon

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Coolness Averted posted:

And are they even people describing that as her character or talking about the rumor that she stopped doing the white suit (which she looked loving cool in) to avoid a yakuza image?
Because that's the only context I remember seeing it.

its like 3 pages of search calling her yakuza shida or yakuza-suit shida and wanting to see more of it, because shida is badass. in fact just one of the posts were talking about her trying to distance from the image, and she was still called yakuza shida after that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah some people were very excited about suit Shida’s Yakuza (the video game) vibes.

Probably not so much the organised crime version.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah some people were very excited about suit Shida’s Yakuza (the video game) vibes.

Probably not so much the organised crime version.

Buddy

Homie

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's not worth downplaying the racism of the idea of making a bunch of Japanese women "the yakuza", really ever but definitely not because people got too excited about hikaru shida wearing gangster chic clothing in 2021 and i guess won't stfu about it. i wouldn't know that part

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Coward Tony, form the 2024 version of AJW's Gokuaku Domei stable.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Suits on wrestlers are cool and good so drop the organized crime nonsense.

I want a bunch of women in perfectly legal 80s power suits. Shida, Nyla Rose, Yuka Sakazaki, and, uhh, let's say Taya Valkyrie all as a tough 80s businesslady fashion stable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

anyway Shida shouldn't wear a dumb suit she should steal Yasha Kurenai's gear

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
It's ok to just like seeing attractive women in suits, we don't have to make it weird!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sega 32X posted:

I want a bunch of women in perfectly legal 80s power suits. Shida, Nyla Rose, Yuka Sakazaki, and, uhh, let's say Taya Valkyrie all as a tough 80s businesslady fashion stable.

Important 80s verisimilitude question:

shoulder pads in the women’s suits or no

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

iggy pop shida

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Important 80s verisimilitude question:

shoulder pads in the women’s suits or no

The entire point of Nyla being in the stable is to have giant shoulder pads.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sega 32X posted:

The entire point of Nyla being in the stable is to have giant shoulder pads.

:hmmyes: Good answer.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I like Shida's current ring gear and some of her other versions that leaned into the samurai gimmick, but Shida looked good in suits too.

Sega 32X posted:

Yeah, I really liked seeing Penta in promos and scrums wearing a suit and his mask. The only thing cooler than a wrestler in a suit is a masked wrestler in a suit. Though Andrade's tear away suit wasn't as cool as his new jackets imo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
There were even edits of her as Underboss clan... people are just being weird about this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I assumed it was because getting cat hair off that suit was murder

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They are but please don't ask me to explain exactly which group is being weird because I don't know and this discussion has only made me more confused

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Having the chonan, chono, muta in Yakuza Kiwami 2 as Yakuza property developers owned

Having Okada and Naito in Yakuza 6 as rival gang leaders owned.

Wrestlers being Yakuza owns.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy fun.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

cagliostr0 posted:

Having the chonan, chono, muta in Yakuza Kiwami 2 as Yakuza property developers owned

Having Okada and Naito in Yakuza 6 as rival gang leaders owned.

Wrestlers being Yakuza owns.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy fun.

Yeah, I dunno if we're apparently racist or sexist or soft on crime or what the problem is supposed to be with a bunch of Japanese wonen being in a badass Yakuza group.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Joshis in a mafia stable but they’re Italian mafia and they all do the hand thing and talk about ziti and gabbagool

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I think we're in that weird loop where goons want to misread eachother in the least charitable way.
If I recall right, none of the wrestlers who make appearances as themselves in like a dragon games are yakuza in game, they're just gansters, criminals, or coliseum fighters. There's a history of companies and people in Japan wanting to make it clear they're not claiming affiliation or disrespecting the real world yakuza, so distance themselves from it.

Shida looks cool in a suit, lady gangs are cool, wrestling is cool, and you are my internet friends -which means none of you are cool, sorry.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 18, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Seams posted:

The Joshis in a mafia stable but they’re Italian mafia and they all do the hand thing and talk about ziti and gabbagool

Yeah but see how that isn't cool or badass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Seams posted:

*talking about cm punk* HE WAS ABUSIVE TO DA STAFF