Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i was on ebt for about eight mos this year when i suddenly stopped receiving funds in october and nobody at the local office knows anything about it. i get told to renew and then get told to renew again, i get made appointments to take phone calls that never come, i sit on the 1-800 line endlessly. this state wants me dead lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Eat This Glob posted:

lol i just remembered that time my future wife and i were simultaneously unemployed and with unemployment, we made too much money to qualify for SNAP. you need to be broker than "currently earning no income beyond your unemployment check" to eat in america

I had a partner who once qualified for a princely $100 a month in benefits, but they qualified while working 8 hours a week due to a disability. When they were able to get up to 30 hours a week the majority of their new income went to their health insurance, since they got enough hours to qualify for benefits, but not their employer contributing to them.

They were on SNAP for an additional 2 years like that until they wound up with a full time job and living with me. Years later the state clawed back the 2ish grand of 'welfare fraud.'
They were even a state employee during that window, so the government knew exactly what their takehome pay was the entire time and that they were an educator.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

lol yeah. reminds me of the time the IRS soaked us for using obamacare subsidies for health insurance for half the year when we qualified for them. my wife was in nursing school at the time, and she needed to have health insurance. my job didn't offer it, so off to the exchange. i thought "gently caress it, may as well get me some coverage too."

so she graduates in may or june and immediately gets a job. we canceled our obamacare plan because new job had bennies. it turned out that the IRS called foul on us based on income for the calendar year and not the period we used obamacare, so we had to pay back like $3k for having the temerity to use a government program that we qualified for when we used it and stopped using it when we no longer had need of it

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

ive only heard of 3/week being required for unemployment. is there an additional requirement for snap ?

It varies from state to state but when I was on snap you had to apply for some ridiculous amount of jobs. I don't remember the exact number but it came out to like 10-15 a day. And this is after random mandatory meetings, waiting in line for 3 hours to get a card renewal, mountains of paperwork.

A government employee told my group at a meeting right before thanksgiving that if we were visiting family outside of the city to stop and apply at every McDonalds along the way and fill out an application even if they weren't hiring to satisfy the paperwork since you never get a day off from the application requirement.

And then when I was taken off the program after a couple months I got a letter from them saying a government employee made a mistake and assigned me too much money and that it was my responsibility to pay that back or they would take it out of any future tax returns.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Milo and POTUS posted:

People go bananas over homeless people with pets I've discovered.

A homeless person is a pitiable wretch worthy of only contempt and scorn. A homeless pet is a cute little guy I can empathize with, just wook at his widdle face.

It's like how those Sarah McLaughlin ASPCA commercials got people tearing up every time, but any commercial about starving children is ignored.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

pets don't carry the original sin op

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
My mother got state unemployment benefits and Social Security disability at the same time because her employer was stupid enough to say they fired her for the disability. So in order to get enough in benefits to pay for her obviously expensive as poo poo healthcare she was in a superposition of looking for a job and not looking for a job simultaneously. Luckily Texas doesn't care enough to put in the effort to check if she actually applied to whatever jobs she'd fill in every week (I guess evil has an opportunity cost and that would've been too much time and money for the state).

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Dec 18, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

dang. America sucks!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

mawarannahr posted:

dang. America sucks!

garbage rear end country designed only to punish people for being poor

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
I've qualified for the benefits at earlier points in my life but i never got on em bc reality is it's easier just to load up a cart and steal most/all of it than futzing with that poo poo at the register.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Applying for jobs for unemployment is easy. Get on LinkedIn and do the "InApply" option where the application is just your LinkedIn-generated resume gets sent to the employer. You will never get a callback from an InApply application, so you don't have to worry about losing benefits because you turned down an offer, and LinkedIn keeps a record of what you applied for so re-certifying for benefits is simple.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mawarannahr posted:

dang. America sucks!

a lot of people are saying

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Milo and POTUS posted:

a lot of people are saying

Many such cases

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

Applying for jobs for unemployment is easy. Get on LinkedIn and do the "InApply" option where the application is just your LinkedIn-generated resume gets sent to the employer. You will never get a callback from an InApply application, so you don't have to worry about losing benefits because you turned down an offer, and LinkedIn keeps a record of what you applied for so re-certifying for benefits is simple.
This might be good to know depending on the extent to which I eventually become my parents, thanks

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Nothing beats the feeling of checking the "I'm in a trade union and exempt from attending your mandatory job fairs or having to do x amounts of applications each week" box.

My union hall calls me when work opens up again.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

"Dad, where do all those mall Santas come from?"
*shows picture*
:stonk:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

this better not awaken anything in me

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Taylor Swift has gone too far.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Oh God they don't have real faces

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

the santussy

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

mycomancy posted:

Oh God they don't have real faces

And yet they must scream

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Santa Baby

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Wanna take a lick of that old saint nick

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my wife and i have been fruitlessly looking for a crypto who would gently caress us both at the same time, so this piques our interest

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Eat This Glob posted:

my wife and i have been fruitlessly looking for a crypto who would gently caress us both at the same time, so this piques our interest

i can only assume the entire swinger community is cryptofash so just look for the pineapple

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Eat This Glob posted:

That's any crypto if you invest enough.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tokin opposition posted:

i can only assume the entire swinger community is cryptofash so just look for the pineapple

theres a surprising number of tow truck drivers for some reason

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was laughing my rear end off last night at an episode of Shark Tank from a couple years ago where 2 of the sharks were ga-ga over some dumb product that included NFTs.

"I think NFTs will be around forever, and every American will own one soon."

"I own the domain for nft.com"

Usually I feel like the sharks are too big to fail, so you may as well take any deal they offer because then you'll be on Team Too Big To Fail and they'll just press the "Rich people get richer" button on your behalf, but I bet those guys took a loving bath on NFTs.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Good. I hope they did.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

my landlord has a pineapple yard flag. he and his wife, both 80, might be down to clown. i should say "'sup"

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

PostNouveau posted:

I was laughing my rear end off last night at an episode of Shark Tank from a couple years ago where 2 of the sharks were ga-ga over some dumb product that included NFTs.

"I think NFTs will be around forever, and every American will own one soon."

"I own the domain for nft.com"

Usually I feel like the sharks are too big to fail, so you may as well take any deal they offer because then you'll be on Team Too Big To Fail and they'll just press the "Rich people get richer" button on your behalf, but I bet those guys took a loving bath on NFTs.

rich people are universally morons op

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

my landlord has a pineapple yard flag. he and his wife, both 80, might be down to clown. i should say "'sup"

gently caress landlords, but literally. Please help him to a stroke

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I always assumed they wring a cheap quick buck out of your idea (that goes almost entirely to them and not you) and then immediately shut it down forever. Like they're not going to spend money to make money later on your as-seen-on-tv invention when they can just burn your business to the ground and cash out immediately.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Red Baron posted:

rich people are universally morons op

No, you see Mark Cuban is a super genius who deserves to be a billionaire and own an NBA team because he had the unique and infinitely valuable idea of *checks notes* putting radio on the internet in the 1990s.

Shame Boy posted:

I always assumed they wring a cheap quick buck out of your idea (that goes almost entirely to them and not you) and then immediately shut it down forever. Like they're not going to spend money to make money later on your as-seen-on-tv invention when they can just burn your business to the ground and cash out immediately.

They usually don't take enough of a stake to control the company. I assume they just immediately connect you to one of their many flunkies, and then you get to be on QVC, and the money faucet turns on.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Dec 27, 2023

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

No, you see Mark Cuban is a super genius who deserves to be a billionaire and own an NBA team because he had the unique and infinitely valuable idea of *checks notes* putting radio on the internet in the 1990s.

okay okay what if we put the internet “pages” onto ACTUAL pages

I call it the magazine

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Red Baron posted:

okay okay what if we put the internet “pages” onto ACTUAL pages

I call it the magazine

hoyl gently caress

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

They usually don't take enough of a stake to control the company. I assume they just immediately connect you to one of their many flunkies, and then you get to be on QVC, and the money faucet turns on.

I'm not sure QVC is the money faucet you seem to think it is, but I guess plenty of people treat "AS SEEN ON SHARK TANK!" as some sort of consumer reports seal of quality for some goddamn reason so that probably makes it worth it overall :shrug:

Also according to the wiki article you can just like... say no afterwards apparently? So you can go on, accept their deal in front of the camera so you get to put on your packaging that you were a shark tank approved thing, and then not have to deal with Kevin O'Leary ever again. That seems pretty great, I don't know why everyone doesn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

look the scrub daddy was on shark tank and now he has a scrub mommy and baby so obviously capitalism works