Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Sleeper cell rabies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah rabies are insane because by the time you're symptomatic, you're already dead

quote:

Once symptoms appear, the result is virtually always death, regardless of treatment. The time period between contracting the disease and the start of symptoms is usually one to three months but can vary from less than one week to more than one year
there's a very good reason it's literally illegal to own pets that didn't get rabies shots

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's mild

and endemic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wolfs posted:

what’s a good bike light?

can I just buy a little high candela flashlight and put it in a handlebar mount then pocket the light?

I got a Towild CL1200. It’s bright, it’s weatherproof, and charges via USB-C. In a pinch, the USB-C port works in reverse to turn the lamp into a power bank.

I can’t attest the the battery life because I have never run it down all the way.

It puts out a shaped beam that has a pretty good pattern for illuminating the road ahead and the shoulders. It has reasonably crisp cutoff to avoid blinding other people on the road, but I don’t know if it’s actually StVZO-complaint.

For thirty-five bucks, it’s not bad. I’ve gotten my money’s worth on night rides that I would not have taken before.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This post about rabies is a classic.

quote:

Rabies is scary.

Rabies. It's exceptionally common, but people just don't run into the animals that carry it often. Skunks especially, and bats.

Let me paint you a picture.

You go camping, and at midday you decide to take a nap in a nice little hammock. While sleeping, a tiny brown bat, in the "rage" stages of infection is fidgeting in broad daylight, uncomfortable, and thirsty (due to the hydrophobia) and you snort, startling him. He goes into attack mode.

Except you're asleep, and he's a little brown bat, so weighs around 6 grams. You don't even feel him land on your bare knee, and he starts to bite. His teeth are tiny. Hardly enough to even break the skin, but he does manage to give you the equivalent of a tiny scrape that goes completely unnoticed.

Rabies does not travel in your blood. In fact, a blood test won't even tell you if you've got it. (Antibody tests may be done, but are useless if you've ever been vaccinated.)

You wake up, none the wiser. If you notice anything at the bite site at all, you assume you just lightly scraped it on something.

The bomb has been lit, and your nervous system is the wick. The rabies will multiply along your nervous system, doing virtually no damage, and completely undetectable. You literally have NO symptoms.

It may be four days, it may be a year, but the camping trip is most likely long forgotten. Then one day your back starts to ache... Or maybe you get a slight headache?

At this point, you're already dead. There is no cure.

(The sole caveat to this is the Milwaukee Protocol, which leaves most patients dead anyway, and the survivors mentally disabled, and is seldom done).

There's no treatment. It has a 100% kill rate.

Absorb that. Not a single other virus on the planet has a 100% kill rate. Only rabies. And once you're symptomatic, it's over. You're dead.

So what does that look like?

Your headache turns into a fever, and a general feeling of being unwell. You're fidgety. Uncomfortable. And scared. As the virus that has taken its time getting into your brain finds a vast network of nerve endings, it begins to rapidly reproduce, starting at the base of your brain... Where your "pons" is located. This is the part of the brain that controls communication between the rest of the brain and body, as well as sleep cycles.

Next you become anxious. You still think you have only a mild fever, but suddenly you find yourself becoming scared, even horrified, and it doesn't occur to you that you don't know why. This is because the rabies is chewing up your amygdala.

As your cerebellum becomes hot with the virus, you begin to lose muscle coordination, and balance. You think maybe it's a good idea to go to the doctor now, but assuming a doctor is smart enough to even run the tests necessary in the few days you have left on the planet, odds are they'll only be able to tell your loved ones what you died of later.

You're twitchy, shaking, and scared. You have the normal fear of not knowing what's going on, but with the virus really loving the amygdala this is amplified a hundred fold. It's around this time the hydrophobia starts.

You're horribly thirsty, you just want water. But you can't drink. Every time you do, your throat clamps shut and you vomit. This has become a legitimate, active fear of water. You're thirsty, but looking at a glass of water begins to make you gag, and shy back in fear. The contradiction is hard for your hot brain to see at this point. By now, the doctors will have to put you on IVs to keep you hydrated, but even that's futile. You were dead the second you had a headache.

You begin hearing things, or not hearing at all as your thalamus goes. You taste sounds, you see smells, everything starts feeling like the most horrifying acid trip anyone has ever been on. With your hippocampus long under attack, you're having trouble remembering things, especially family.

You're alone, hallucinating, thirsty, confused, and absolutely, undeniably terrified. Everything scares the literal poo poo out of you at this point. These strange people in lab coats. These strange people standing around your bed crying, who keep trying to get you "drink something" and crying. And it's only been about a week since that little headache that you've completely forgotten. Time means nothing to you anymore. Funny enough, you now know how the bat felt when he bit you.

Eventually, you slip into the "dumb rabies" phase. Your brain has started the process of shutting down. Too much of it has been turned to liquid virus. Your face droops. You drool. You're all but unaware of what's around you. A sudden noise or light might startle you, but for the most part, it's all you can do to just stare at the ground. You haven't really slept for about 72 hours.

Then you die. Always, you die.

And there's not one... loving... thing... anyone can do for you.

Then there's the question of what to do with your corpse. I mean, sure, burying it is the right thing to do. But the loving virus can survive in a corpse for years. You could kill every rabid animal on the planet today, and if two years from now, some moist, preserved, rotten hunk of used-to-be brain gets eaten by an animal, it starts all over.

So yeah, rabies scares the poo poo out of me. And it's loving EVERYWHERE. (Source: Spent a lot of time working with rabies. Would still get my vaccinations if I could afford them.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

This post about rabies is a classic.

the thing that really got to me (though I played it cool at the time) was my cousin describing that once you were found to be symptomatic, you'd be restrained and isolated, but you couldn't be sedated or euthanized or otherwise cared for because you might bite someone and infect them with rabies in turn, so you'd just be locked away until you die (in a horrifying fashion, as the post describes)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gently caress try tossing a biscuit full of opiates or something.

mystes
May 31, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

the thing that really got to me (though I played it cool at the time) was my cousin describing that once you were found to be symptomatic, you'd be restrained and isolated, but you couldn't be sedated or euthanized or otherwise cared for because you might bite someone and infect them with rabies in turn, so you'd just be locked away until you die (in a horrifying fashion, as the post describes)
Yikes

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

And this is why you should drive rather than bike. Don't want to get bit by a rabies infected bat while cycling

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Nitrousoxide posted:

And this is why you should drive rather than bike. Don't want to get bit by a rabies infected bat while cycling
There's pretty good evidence that rabies can be aerosolized. A rabid bat could slam into the grille. This would spread virus-laden blood and guts all over the radiator to evaporate, turning the cabin air into a nightmare death miasma.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I rode my bike a tunnel with some bats on Friday. No joke.

I was wearing an N95, though, so the bats are going to have to try harder if they wish to get me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

yeah if you're biking at night around other cyclists often, it's best to buy STvZO-compliant bike lights so you aren't a nuisance to cyclists/peds. but if you're only biking around cars, the brighter the better. your taillight should definitely be red if you're macgyvering anything
I've recently convinced my LBS to at least stock some STvZO lights, I'm honestly amazed they've not been made the only option for on-road.

For MTB lights, wide-area flood and thousands upon thousands of lumen please.

Smythe posted:

the holidays make people insane. its badass
It's not just the holidays. The moment some people get behind the wheel anything that's not smooth, speeding flow is reason enough for limitless impotent rage.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

people are just insane I think. extremely aggressive confrontational society
It's nothing as bad here in scandinavia but we still get the odd rear end in a top hat.

In other news that cab driver that honked at me then got out at the light to physically threaten me no longer works there lmao.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Dec 18, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol at these tiny penalties
EPA Reaches Settlements Over Clean Air Act Violations at Ports in California and Hawaii | US EPA

www.epa.gov posted:

SAN FRANCISCO (December 18, 2023) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has entered into settlements with nine companies or individuals regarding claims of violation of the Clean Air Act. The companies and individuals, all based in California or Hawaii, violated the legal ban on importing into the U.S. any motor vehicle, motor vehicle engine, nonroad engine or equipment that does not conform to EPA emission standards and requirements. Uncertified vehicles and engines can emit harmful air pollutants at 30% or more above allowable standards.

"The illegal importing of vehicles and engines circumvents controls put in place to protect us all – and our environment -- from hazardous air pollution,” said EPA Pacific Southwest Regional Administrator Martha Guzman. "These settlements will serve to prevent pollution from unlawful vehicles and engines, helping to improve air quality and prevent asthma and other respiratory and health harms.”

Since 2008, there has been a steady flow of illegally imported uncertified motorcycles, equipment containing small gasoline-powered engines (e.g., generators, mowers, chainsaws, etc.), and recreational vehicles. EPA is working with U.S. Customs to stop such illegal vehicles and engines at ports of entry and require exportation or destruction.

The EPA’s expedited settlement agreement (ESA) policy for the Clean Air Act Vehicle and Engine Import program is an efficient, standardized process to resolve violations by first-time violators in matters with lower penalties.

Details of the nine agreements:

1 On June 27, 2023, EPA ratified an ESA with PACCAR Inc. for importing one heavy-duty diesel engine at the Port of Calexico, located on the US-Mexico border. The company paid a penalty of $4,545 and, as required, returned the uncertified engine to Mexico. This enforcement initiative was funded by a US-Mexico-Canada Agreement grant to prevent illegal imports from entering the United States through the Southern Border. 

2 On June 27, 2023, EPA ratified an ESA with Dar-Yih David Wu, Shenzhen Senlinyun Technology Co. Ltd. for importing 50 gasoline sweepers at the Port of Los Angeles. The company paid a $2,500 penalty and, as required, exported the uncertified equipment to a country other than Canada or Mexico.

3 On July 21, 2023, EPA ratified an ESA with One Dreamworks Inc. for importing 480 chainsaws and 30 hedge trimmers at the Port of Los Angeles. The company paid a penalty of $8,018 and, as required, destroyed the uncertified equipment.

4 On August 15, 2023, EPA ratified an ESA with E-Speed Inc. for importing 40 dirt bikes at the Port of Los Angeles. E-Speed paid a penalty of $3,200 and, as required, destroyed the uncertified equipment.

5 On September 19, 2023, EPA ratified an ESA with Golden Dragon Farm Inc. for importing one piece of diesel-powered farming equipment at the Port of Honolulu. The company paid a penalty of $800 and forfeited the equipment to U.S. Customs and Border Protection for destruction.

6 On September 25, 2023, EPA ratified an ESA with Springbrook SGC LLC for importing two highway vehicles at the Port of Los Angeles. The company paid a penalty of $300 and, as required, destroyed the uncertified vehicles.

7 On October 31, 2023, EPA ratified an ESA with Eddie Hardister for importing one gasoline plate vibrating machine engine at the Port of Honolulu. Eddie Hardister paid a penalty of $140 and forfeited the engine to U.S. Customs and Border Protection for destruction.

8 On November 1, 2023, EPA ratified an ESA with KCK Builders LLC for importing one gasoline forklift at the Port of Honolulu. The company paid a penalty of $2,860 and forfeited the engine to U.S Customs and Border Protection.

9 On November 1, 2023, EPA ratified an ESA with Pro Motion Racing Productions Inc. for importing 92 gasoline engines intended to be used in uncertified, ridable scooters into the Port of Los Angeles. The company paid a penalty of $2,583 and U.S. Customs and Border Protection facilitated the re-export of the engines.

The denial of entry into the United States of these uncertified engines resulted in the prevention of 21,495 pounds of hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, 736 pounds of particulate matter, and 51,139 pounds of carbon monoxide. Hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxide react with other chemicals in the air to form both particulate matter and ozone, and can aggravate respiratory diseases, particularly asthma.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

had to drive today... a disgusting act

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I'm going to drive later. I hope everything explodes in fiery death while I'm doing so

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tried to drive today but the battery in my apartment's gate fob went out so i'm stuck until bezos delivers another

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what if cars...are good?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
i am all activated after getting yelled at to ‘look both ways’ and slow-rolled when this rear end in a top hat had a stop sign. it was a busy intersection so I got in the middle of it to stop 11 cars and chastise him while pointing my cane and yelling ‘it’s a loving stop sign idiot. get the gently caress out the car if you wanna talk to the disabled woman about it.’ and then just repeating ‘get the gently caress out the car or drive away.’ when he tried to say anything.

hate having to stop everyone and make a scene to have an audience just to make sure I don’t get followed home for crossing the street in the crosswalk.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

:blessed:

Aggression is the only thing they understand. You did the Lord’s work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

i am all activated after getting yelled at to ‘look both ways’ and slow-rolled when this rear end in a top hat had a stop sign. it was a busy intersection so I got in the middle of it to stop 11 cars and chastise him while pointing my cane and yelling ‘it’s a loving stop sign idiot. get the gently caress out the car if you wanna talk to the disabled woman about it.’ and then just repeating ‘get the gently caress out the car or drive away.’ when he tried to say anything.

hate having to stop everyone and make a scene to have an audience just to make sure I don’t get followed home for crossing the street in the crosswalk.

loving knocked on the window of a lady's car the other day and yelled at her that she needs to stop at stop signs when she rolled through an intersection where I had almost gotten hit a month or so ago, and someone did get hit in the last couple of weeks.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
gently caress them cars

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mauser posted:

gently caress them cars

please be very careful when loving cars

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

WHO posted:

Dogs are the main source of human rabies deaths, contributing up to 99% of all rabies transmissions to humans. Rabies can be prevented through vaccination of dogs and prevention of dog bites.

:staredog:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
:dogstare:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

tread carefully...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Commander has bitten like two dozen SS agents, and none of them have developed hydrophobia.

The stats are rigged!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

e: nvm

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Play time is over

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
*everyone in the world is bitten at once in one giant synchronized dog attack*

no human, playtime has just begun!

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
Excited for a winter solstice disco group bike ride coming up in my small town. Don't have any discowear though

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CarIsbad, California. Home of Tony Walk

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’m gonna bike my kids to the library later

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I'm going to take a bus today

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Grassy Knowles posted:

I'm going to take a bus today

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

Carsbad, California. Home of Tony Walk

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I got banned from NextDoor because I replied to

quote:

bicyclists never ever stop at stop signs!!!!!!! I live at the corner of X St* and Y St, and all day long bicyclists just ignore the stop sign and keep riding!!!

with

quote:

Was that you I saw yesterday driving a car directly into a man and his dog crossing in a marked crosswalk at that exact intersection?

*low-car bicycle route parallel to two high-car-speed, high-car-volume roads

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Greg12 posted:

I got banned from NextDoor because I replied to

with

*low-car bicycle route parallel to two high-car-speed, high-car-volume roads

didn't know the cspam mods and iks were on nextdoor

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The DOT just published a new manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices.

While this only directly affects federal highways and roads, most smaller towns just adopt it in full rather than trying to develop their roadway rules and most states heavily borrow from it. Expect to see these changes in new roads all around the country in the coming years even outside explicitly federal ones.

The new one has a bunch of changes related to pedestrian and bike safety such as bike placement at intersections, painted bike lanes, and signaling favoring bikes and pedestrians. The agency said one of their main focuses for this manual was reducing the focus on moving cars quickly and instead improving non-vehicle safety on roadways.

quote:

According to Bhatt, the new rules will make streets safer for pedestrians through “stronger language on crosswalk markings, traffic signals and sidewalk detours and closures,” and more audible information devices for visually impaired pedestrians. Bicycle safety measures include turn boxes at intersections and traffic lights that encourage separation between cars and bikes.

https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news/us-dot-updates-standards-traffic-control-devices/702938/

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

stronger language will be so effective at getting drivers to stop killing people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did they outlaw beg buttons yet.