Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lol that her husband is probably still locked in the toilet.

As soon as she told him not to unlock it until she said I thought of poor Huell

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Looking forward to if the Mother-in-Law changes her tone to Dorthy now that she knows the backstory. She's worried about her son foremost, but knowing who she was fleeing from and why might make her more inclined to help. Game see's game kind of thing. Or not.
I think it's very important that the blended "previously on" for this episode included JJL saying "she's a wolf in sheep's clothing, we keep her close for now" as it does indicate JJL could go either way on supporting her. Building up her defensible side in the same episode via the discussion with the bankers before her discussion with Roy, while additionally admitting (something the character does not do) that she was fond of her granddaughter in spite of her previously commenting on her "boyishness," was a great way to sledgehammer home the idea that she actually shares priorities with Dorothy. This is now something that JJL understands (to a point, she doesn't know Roy's reach quite yet) but Dorothy does not. We may come to find that if Dorothy explained her Roy situation with JJL, the entire season could have been avoided.

Yeah, Fargo definitely feels like it's back.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was expecting Roy and Lorraine to team up. Nope.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was expecting Roy and Lorraine to team up. Nope.

They have very similar, but utterly incompatible world views where they're both kings of the universe and lawbringers to lawlessness. They can't cope with someone else in the same position, because that's their position.

The season's been really insistent with their similarities. They both have a couple under their thumb that they counsel through their issues, they both have roughly symmetrical followers (her Danish is his Gator, plus a more competent black dude who acts as chief of security in either case), both have a separate police officer sniffing around them. They're not perfect one to one copies, but it's all very chess-like all the same.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

And in other news, the Nightmare Before Christmas and Home Alone were added to the National Film Registry, today. Hmm. Good year for those films.

Open Source Idiom posted:

They have very similar, but utterly incompatible world views where they're both kings of the universe and lawbringers to lawlessness. They can't cope with someone else in the same position, because that's their position.

The season's been really insistent with their similarities. They both have a couple under their thumb that they counsel through their issues, they both have roughly symmetrical followers (her Danish is his Gator, plus a more competent black dude who acts as chief of security in either case), both have a separate police officer sniffing around them. They're not perfect one to one copies, but it's all very chess-like all the same.

Really insistent is right. They both have precisely the same view of Scotty. Other things I could think of now that you mention it, but that one I saw on my own just watching.

I wonder who Scotty's father is. Could go either way, though I don't think there's anything wrong with going with the default of Wayne.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I kinda wish I didn’t watch the season preview they showed after the first episode, it gave away too much.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

Tag yourself. I'm enema guy.

He continues to be relevant.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I love how Lorraine seems genuinely a little bit interested in Roy at first and then as they keep talking she's so visibly disappointed that he's just a boring-rear end clinger to some generic bullshit ideology. Purely disgusted that she thought, even for a moment, that he may have been an actual real person worthy of her time.

Contrasts nicely with her seemingly growing respect for her daughter in law as she discovers more about her personhood.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ruddiger posted:

I kinda wish I didn’t watch the season preview they showed after the first episode, it gave away too much.

I always skip those things, whether it's for a season or just the next ep

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

I always skip those things, whether it's for a season or just the next ep
I skip them as well but I often wonder how much a showrunner thinks about those things when crafting their show. I like to believe they don't think about them at all and some editor has to deal with that later on but considering how often I've heard of shows completely misrepresenting their upcoming episodes via those previews, I can't help but think some folks have them in mind as they create the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's not universal but I'm sure I've heard before that there are some shows where the "NEXT TIME!" preview is made with no input from the production team at all. Whether that's the channel it is airing on or some poor assistant got tasked with putting together 10 30-second clips for each upcoming episode I don't know.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm not watching the Fargo previews but this conversation made me fondly recall the ridiculously obtuse next time on Mad Men spots.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not watching the Fargo previews but this conversation made me fondly recall the ridiculously obtuse next time on Mad Men spots.

I never saw those but I understand they were amazing things like a single shot of a door being slammed shut or something? :allears:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mad Men's previews were truly sublime. Order jumbled into pure nonsense, utterly impossible to understand what was being hinted at

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The final season of Barry knew what they were doing with the next episode previews.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I like the Columbo intros that make it seem he’s gonna get murdered

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

limp dick calvin posted:

I like the Columbo intros that make it seem he’s gonna get murdered
Oh my god I remember this. That classic music playing, Columbo opening a door with a surprised look on his face, someone shooting a gun. I only ever saw this stuff in my grade school years, can't remember a lick of it, and I still feel like that's half the show's openings.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yes! Thank you! As I was reading this discussion, I remembered there being a show that had hilariously disorienting, meaningless previews and Mrs. Pants did as well, but neither of us could remember which show it was. I wasn't even a big Mad Men fan but would watch it while she did and I always laughed at the previews.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I know I'm not the only one to pick up on this. But I think I'm too stupid to "get it." It's too on the nose to be coincidental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsonCMXEy0g

quote:

Bell: I was sheriff of this county when I was twenty-five years old. Hard to believe. My grandfather was a lawman; father too.

No clip available for Fargo, but it's Episode 2 and the introduction to Roy.

quote:

Roy: I was sheriff of this county when I was 25. Hard to believe. Grandfather was a sheriff. Father, too.

Exhibit B:

I'd say it's almost a reversed No Country, where the sheriff is the 'bad guy.' You could maybe even argue it's just an exaggerated retelling, where the sheriff's flaws are upfront and on display. Bell may have been more noble, but he is also a self deluded fool. The ending to No Country tells us that what he had wasn't "nothing new."

I've never read the book, but I'm told it differs slightly and Bell comes across as more cowardice?

Meanwhile Munch seems like an amalgamation. A direct reference to Chigur, but his long life reminds me of The Judge from Blood Meridian.

E; oh, I also just wanted to say I watched Killers of the Flower Moon. And I could not see Gene Jones as anything other than the clerk at the gas station. Took me out of the film every time he was on screen.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 16, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Martman posted:

Mad Men's previews were truly sublime. Order jumbled into pure nonsense, utterly impossible to understand what was being hinted at

The one I remember most had an ominous panning shot of Don lying facedown on the ground, and in the context of the episode he's just taking a little rest after getting home drunk or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE posted:

I know I'm not the only one to pick up on this. But I think I'm too stupid to "get it." It's too on the nose to be coincidental.

No, it's deliberate, but they do poo poo like this every season except for different Cohen films. I've never really got much out of it though.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I hope Dot doesn't get pulled over for her "DLR" plates.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Nameless Pete posted:

"What I want to know is are you going to look for her or are going to sit drinking coffee in the one house in the state where I know that girl ain't at."

Not just the "ain't," but ending a sentence with a preposition as a deliberate power move.

Loved the callback to a similar scene in Raising Arizona.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Exodor posted:

Loved the callback to a similar scene in Raising Arizona.

Hoping they find a way to work in someone describing some clothing as having “yodas and poo poo” on them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I have really fond memories of watching S1 and S2 way back when they first came out, I thoroughly enjoyed it and Season 2 has to be my all-time favourite. I partially watched S3 but I don't remember if I finished it, I didn't feel hooked and I am pretty sure I lost enthusiasm and quit halfway through.

That being said, there's a S4 and S5, so I came here to ask if you all think it's worth watching the new seasons. Does it still have the magic of the first two seasons or has it lost it's lustre?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 3 and 4 have their moments but for me they'd lost the magic that Season 1 and (especially) Season 2 had, and 4 in particular kind of never really goes anywhere or achieves much of anything, and not in an entertaining "Burn After Reading" way. Season 5 so far feels about on par with Season 1 to me, and I really hope they can stick the landing because so far it's just been great.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Well that's just making me want to skip watching S3 and S4 and just go right to the latest season.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

recently re-watched 3 and there's a lot to like there, i think it's way better than 4

also the main cast all just kills it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah s3 is good, and it's got a bunch of fun homages to the movie. Don't skip it imo.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
Season 3 has a bunch of great moments but lacked the overall cohesion and consistency of the first two seasons.

The one moment that sticks in my memory from season 3 the most is a very small scene where Michael Stuhlbarg’s character goes home to his wife and despondently tells his wife he doesn’t understand the world anymore. Watching that scene a few months after Donald Trumps inauguration hit me hard.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I remember season 3 ending on an extremely strong note, so it might be worthwhile seeing that through

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of Season 3, but I did think seeing Gloria and Varga setting across from each other, both laying out their philosophy of what the world is was a very good scene, especially as the show doesn't come down on one side or the other but leaves you to consider which you think is more likely (or, perhaps, more hoped for).

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Qubee posted:

Well that's just making me want to skip watching S3 and S4 and just go right to the latest season.

It is an anthology series, so no real reason not to watch the seasons in whatever order you want.

Will echo that S3 is worthwhile, S4 meanders, and S5 has been a return to form.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
S3's worth it for David Thewlis alone, thought he killed it and his character is up there with Lorne Malvo

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

i guess noah hawley said s5 was just "a few lines" removed from the movie, ive been trying to figure out what he means by that but im coming up empty.

like, there's the wife getting kidnapped but it's for completely different reasons, maybe that's what he meant tho. have you guys noticed anything?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hawley's a bit of a wanker, go look up his "what is this thing we call TV" essay he sent to critics along with preview copies of Legion season two.

I wouldn't put too much stock in figuring out what he's saying beyond the idea that the premise is very closely riffing on the film.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I can't explain why, but somehow this season seems closest to the movie since season 1, so I don't think he's completely off base. But it's just a vibes thing, nothing I can articulate.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jerusalem posted:

Season 3 and 4 have their moments but for me they'd lost the magic that Season 1 and (especially) Season 2 had, and 4 in particular kind of never really goes anywhere or achieves much of anything, and not in an entertaining "Burn After Reading" way.

It's been a while since I've seen any of it and, even then, I think I made it through three episodes, but am I right in remembering that season 4 had a heavy social justice angle that seemed shoehorned in and like it was trying to play into what was going on in real life around the same time it was released?

Maybe it was unintentional on the show's part and coincidental that it came out not long after the summer of 2020.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
What the gently caress, S3 rocks. Peter and the Wolf; the whole thing's done in gold, silver, and red; bowling alley; unstoppable deaf friend; the whole elevator scene; throat singing; POV air conditioner; Mary Elizabeth Winstead...

Ray's a kitten now, you fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That’s right.