Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

cock hero flux posted:

(NATO institution post ~1975) tried to do it and the resulting system was extremely expensive and didn't work very well.

/thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

new russian/hamas/chinese disinformation hit

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12855869/army-tiktok-mutiny-gen-z-recruits.html

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6837462588788444422

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

requisitioning a bunch of trawlers and making them drag long vertical sheets of net seems like a budget anti-torpedo solution

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Just store the boats on land where the torpedoes can’t reach them.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Land based carriers? Hot drat! Like a motorhome for F35s

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Land based carriers? Hot drat! Like a motorhome for F35s

now we're cookin

but that's a lot of weight to move around, so it'd be most efficient to put these land carriers on rails.

i can see some mis-educated empty suit at HII re-inventing the Schwerer Gustav for the 21st century already

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Just make everything out of Deserts of Kharak

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Car brains would never allow a train. It would be a giant pickup truck with an extended cab long enough to land planes on.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

the carrier-posting in the other thread got me thinking: is there a weapon and/or a defensive protocol for destroying torpedoes?

I think prevention is the better solution to torpedoes. What if we built a type of ship and put a bunch of detection equipment on it and then had it patrol far away from the Aircraft Carriers in order to find and destroy any ships that might launch torpedoes at us? We would need to build a bunch to have full coverage. We could call them Torpedo Ship Neutralizers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just get the lower decks and lash them to the sides of the hull armed with butterfly nets to catch the wild torpedoes as they leap out of the sea.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

hear me out, we take an AC130 and we park it on the carrier, and we put the carrier on those crawler tracks from NASA and then wheel it towards the enemy and we shoot the big plane gun at the bad guys while crawling towards them

hell, we could even drive it into the ocean if they try and swim away!

drones? don’t make me laugh. send the Hercules up and shoot them with the howitzer

best part is, you’re gonna love this: made in America.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Rodney The Yam II posted:

hear me out, we take an AC130 and we park it on the carrier, and we put the carrier on those crawler tracks from NASA and then wheel it towards the enemy and we shoot the big plane gun at the bad guys while crawling towards them

hell, we could even drive it into the ocean if they try and swim away!

drones? don’t make me laugh. send the Hercules up and shoot them with the howitzer

best part is, you’re gonna love this: made in America.

The movie The Creator had a US military land carrier. Which didn't make any sense as to how it ended up in south east Asia when they were at war with everyone in Asia. The US also made a trillion dollar space station warship in orbit.

Crazy movie where:
1. The US got rid of AI and all the productive forces that come along with a new group of labor
2. Got into a war with all of Asia because Asia wouldn't stop using AI.
3. Still manages to conduct a forever war half way across the globe with impunity and magical super tech.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BearsBearsBears posted:

I think prevention is the better solution to torpedoes. What if we built a type of ship and put a bunch of detection equipment on it and then had it patrol far away from the Aircraft Carriers in order to find and destroy any ships that might launch torpedoes at us? We would need to build a bunch to have full coverage. We could call them Torpedo Ship Neutralizers.

lol it is kind of fun seeing people recreate the Jeune École by accident.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

lol it is kind of fun seeing people recreate the Jeune École by accident.

it's such a fun idea that p much every single mil fantasy or scifi series that has any kind of ships in it does it on purpose

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ughhhh posted:

Crazy movie where:
1. The US got rid of AI and all the productive forces that come along with a new group of labor
3. Still manages to conduct a forever war half way across the globe with impunity and magical super tech.

what neoliberal ideology does to a motherfucker

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ughhhh posted:

The movie The Creator had a US military land carrier. Which didn't make any sense as to how it ended up in south east Asia when they were at war with everyone in Asia. The US also made a trillion dollar space station warship in orbit.

Crazy movie where:

American war films are never anti-war because the US is invincible in them even if what they are doing is outright evil. Think if half the choppers got shot down during the Ride of the Valkyrie’s scene, what would people think? It would have probably been mostly forgotten about.

It would probably hit have more hard that after all that hatred and military build up, that the space cruiser was a hunk of poo poo and all of this was a pointless waste of time.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Dec 18, 2023

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Just make everything out of Deserts of Kharak
Land carriers across africa would be rad as hell though the mountain where I'm living is not ideal.

Sounds like a job for the MiC!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

American war films are never anti-war because the US is invincible in them even if what they are doing is outright evil. Think of half the choppers got shot down during the Ride of the Valkyrie’s scene? It would have probably been mostly forgotten about.

An OH-6 is shot down during that scene.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Dec 18, 2023

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ardennes posted:

American war films are never anti-war because the US is invincible in them even if what they are doing is outright evil. Think of half the choppers got shot down during the Ride of the Valkyrie’s scene? It would have probably been mostly forgotten about.

the creator is pretty anti-war and the robo-vietcong are the good guys

it depicts the us bombing literal buddhist monks lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

That isn’t anti-war, the anti-war part is if they tried and still failed or took losses.

Frosted Flake posted:

A OH-6 is shot down during that scene.

I am talking not about a couple hits but just they get trashed and barely can clear the village.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Dec 18, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

and a UH-1 is destroyed on the ground as well,

I take your point, but I'm just saying

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

The US soldiers line up and execute monks. Also for some reason people in Asia are still living in straw huts and lovely standards of living even though they have all the super advanced AI and robots because ????

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Ardennes posted:

Think if half the choppers got shot down during the Ride of the Valkyrie’s scene, what would people think? It would have probably been mostly forgotten about.

absolutely disagree, those kinds of scenes are very popular

or think of the d-day scene in saving private ryan, it would not have been nearly as popular (and imitated) if they met little resistance

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

and a UH-1 is destroyed on the ground as well,

That is a suicide attack and the response from Kilgore is to call then “savages.”

It isn’t zero losses necessarily but general invincibility, the Vietnamese are generally helpless besides some lucky hits and maybe suicide attacks.

How about if an actual SPAAG opened up on them and starting cutting Hueys in half? It would have had a very different tone.

Whenever the US military is in control, it isn’t anti-war, it doesn’t matter what they are doing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Megamissen posted:

think of the d-day scene in saving private ryan, it would not have been nearly as popular (and imitated) if they met little resistance

It's an interesting point,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93Uoj-Qmtw

The US landings in Torch went well, but then Gela, Salerno and Anzio they were almost thrown back in the sea. Utah went very well and Omaha gets all the attention.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Megamissen posted:

absolutely disagree, those kinds of scenes are very popular

or think of the d-day scene in saving private ryan, it would not have been nearly as popular (and imitated) if they met little resistance

It also ended with the soldiers literally cooking Germans with flame throwers and general victory. It is true that on Omaha they depicted more causalities than normal but it is Omaha which is practically mythological.

Some random attack on a Vietnamese village has no glory, especially if it goes bad.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Some random attack on a Vietnamese village has no glory

Waterloo was just a crossroads in Belgium until there was a battle there.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Waterloo was just a crossroads in Belgium until there was a battle there.

Napoleon wasn't wandering in with a company to clear out some Belgians. If you want to be anti-war, you have to sap every drop of glory from what you are doing and part of that is believing you are truly invincible.

Full Metal Jacket: What would happen if the the machine gunner got cut in half while he was giving his little psycho speech?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oh I thought we were talking about how to remember the glory of even the smallest skirmishes and how movies can depict that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6C4Zpvngc

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Dutch military is asking for more land (they're already one of the largest landowners in the country) to practice larger and different types of operations on. They want to be able to practice more fighting in urban terrain and also a beach to practice beach landings. What loving beach do these assholes think we're ever going to be landing on the mind loving boggles.

Meanwhile domestic 155mm shell production is 0. And the only artillery the entire army has is the PzH2000 lol, of which they have a total of 4 batteries lmao.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

It's an interesting point,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93Uoj-Qmtw

The US landings in Torch went well, but then Gela, Salerno and Anzio they were almost thrown back in the sea. Utah went very well and Omaha gets all the attention.

I do wonder why we stopped getting movies about the Italian theater after the 60s. I guess because victory didn't come through there and it was just grinding up dudes for little gain once they got to the mountainous north? Maybe studio economics related to the large population of Italians in the US?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Dutch military is asking for more land (they're already one of the largest landowners in the country) to practice larger and different types of operations on. They want to be able to practice more fighting in urban terrain and also a beach to practice beach landings. What loving beach do these assholes think we're ever going to be landing on the mind loving boggles.

Meanwhile domestic 155mm shell production is 0. And the only artillery the entire army has is the PzH2000 lol, of which they have a total of 4 batteries lmao.

Nato and the Eu are insane enough to think they'll be landing on Chinese beaches

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Italian front mostly gets ignored because a lot of men got lost for little result. Omaha started a mess but it came together and was a triumphant while Utah and most of the other beaches were a bit boring (except when it came to Caen but again there wasn’t that much glory to be had).

You need a narrative of victory, it is why Platoon was far more of a anti-war film than Apocalypse Now.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Dec 18, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Ardennes posted:

It also ended with the soldiers literally cooking Germans with flame throwers and general victory. It is true that on Omaha they depicted more causalities than normal but it is Omaha which is practically mythological.

Some random attack on a Vietnamese village has no glory, especially if it goes bad.

pretty much every scene that takes inspiration from the valkyrie scene has transports getting shot down, often a lot of them

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Megamissen posted:

pretty much every scene that takes inspiration from the valkyrie scene has transports getting shot down, often a lot of them

I am talking about the scene itself, other works doing their own thing may have a different message. If you are showing your own forces as brutal yet victorious, you aren’t being anti-war.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

A fitting patch. As the saying goes, "The horse they never rode and the line they never crossed because they were yellow."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It will obviously never happen but a Band of Brothers/The Pacific-level biopic about Stanisław Maczek, Władysław Sikorski, Wladislaw Anders and generally the Polish forces during the war would be loving lit, particularly the events leading up to and after the assault on Monte Cassino, the fallout of the Yalta conference, and their absolute dog-poo poo treatment at the hands of the British after the war.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

I do wonder why we stopped getting movies about the Italian theater after the 60s. I guess because victory didn't come through there and it was just grinding up dudes for little gain once they got to the mountainous north? Maybe studio economics related to the large population of Italians in the US?

I was reading a book about war films, and the short answer is that films through the 1960's were made by people who had been there for an audience that had been there. Now that we're two generations removed, films are not representations of history but representations of cultural memory. So, in the 1950's there were a bunch of, what are now very boring and dry movies, about individual battles, because the writers, directors and often actors, had been there, or at least in the same war. In the 60's, there's a mix. But now?

We'd get something like Guy Richie's Robin Hood, where it's so contemporary that the setting is meaningless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZQqp-tO8J4

Only it would be the Italian Theatre as Ukraine instead of the Crusades as the Iraq War.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

ughhhh posted:

Crazy movie where:

The best magical super tech is cutting to a new shot so the ship can teleport to a different altitude. Is it a mile up? In low earth orbit? Mountain top height? How about all those and everywhere in between as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The best magical super tech is cutting to a new shot so the ship can teleport to a different altitude. Is it a mile up? In low earth orbit? Mountain top height? How about all those and everywhere in between as well.

Thrust vectoring rules the skies