Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

mystes posted:

I haven't looked into it but I'm guessing it it's just looking at all the tags from all of your games and picking the tags with the most hours

Since games tend to have lots of tags that doesn't really necessarily relate to the main category you would associate with the games you played the most

Yeah, it's something not super consistent, with them probably skewing some numbers vs. visual representation. I've got "colony sim" as one of the points on my graph that's near maxed but only one game in my library is tagged with it that I even played this year, and it's not super high on my list versus a bunch of other types of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

This doesn't match up with my actual top games at all. I've played a bit of ETS but a fraction compared to MW2/3, BG3 and Starfield. I guess it's counting the cars in MW.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I am kind of considering that Jedi Survivor game or the new Avatar game using the Epic coupon. Did they ever fix all of the PC port issues with the Jedi game?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I feel like a babby having only three (released) games on my wishlist.

You guys have recommendations for CRPGs, grand strategy games, or Vermintide-likes?

I don't even like 40k very much and I think Rogue Trader is a standout, it's the latest game by the Pathfinder devs so it's a strong recommend even acknowledging the release jank.

While BG3 has the budget and the production values, and honestly the cultural penetration, I feel like RT is the real gem of the genre this year.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

According to my steam review my ideal game is a deck based city builder with a tower defense phase that's also an emotional story where choices matter.

So, ya know, get on that, game people.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
According to the graph I played a lot of… hero shooter?

It's Team Fortress 2, isn't it? They are counting tf2 as a "hero shooter"?

This feels deeply wrong to me somehow.

e: Also, wtf is "emotional". I'M NOT EMOTIONAL. That's just Spiritfarer, I assume?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Antigravitas posted:

According to the graph I played a lot of… hero shooter?

It's Team Fortress 2, isn't it? They are counting tf2 as a "hero shooter"?

This feels deeply wrong to me somehow.
TF2 was the original hero shooter.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I reject that label. It's just tf2. :colbert:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

ILLUMINATI??!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Uhhh..Control maybe? Are they going off community tags for games?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

SlothBear posted:

According to my steam review my ideal game is a deck based city builder with a tower defense phase that's also an emotional story where choices matter.

Haven't played it myself but: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1108370/Ratropolis/ ?

For Star Traders you need to know sort of what you want to do before you start. If you don't want to do space combat don't work for your starting noble contacts! If you don't want to do spy stuff or lots of crew combat don't work for the older daughter! If you want to do bounty hunting work for the Son! If you aren't sure what you want to do but are cool with a variety of combat and trading work for the accused daughter!

If you want to be a peaceful trader or an explorer that only fights in crew combat just pull over when you get hailed.

I can't imagine playing without some attention on space combat. Do some math when picking components so that you don't have more guns at any given range than you can shoot/move with. Pick somebody to hate and you will never worry about running out of fuel again... because you can hit them whenever you run short. The real money/exp in space combat is taking the enemy ship through boarding, then blowing it up. They'll eventually hate you enough you can't spoof them with bribes... but never so much the Military Officer's salute won't save you.

You can get away with fighting ships for just their fuel if you regularly check for easy patrols with +rep.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

buglord posted:

Uhhh..Control maybe? Are they going off community tags for games?

If you like Strategy games, you've definitely put a lot of hours into theHunter: Call of the Wild™, but could we also suggest Madden NFL 24, Guild Wars 2, and Hardspace: Shipbreaker?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Owl Inspector posted:

One reason hunt has held my interest longer than any other competitive game is that the possibility space is so big that it’s kind of resistant to forming a correct way to play or metagame beyond the very broad strokes. every fight is unique and you can make an argument for many different approaches to a situation, so as long as your teammates try their best that’s all you can ask for because there really isn’t some meta choreography they’re supposed to know and follow. I also think the game sometimes being pure psychological torment means that the people who stick with it are more likely to be cool to play with. the folks I’ve met playing hunt on the awful discord are legitimately the coolest people that I’ve played any game with and generally very good at limiting emotions to frustration with the game, not with each other. (I’d still never play it with pubs though)

:yeah:

Azran fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 18, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve been curious about Hunt, but I’m not a very good fps player and don’t want to be a liability to the team. Maybe I’ll watch some videos and see what I think.

I’ve heard that cheating is rampant and basically unopposed by Crytek, too, but I guess not so much that you two aren’t having fun!

My Steam spider graph indicates that I like things beyond the ken of mortals:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Apparently I've played 447 sessions of Hitman in 2023, which is more than there are days in the year.... :sweatdrop:

disposablewords posted:

I think something's just screwing up at the moment. It's doing that to me but for Lethal Company, with no mention of stuff I know I was looking at much more recently. It has worked normally before, too.

Thanks, I figured it had to just be a weird glitch but still relieved to see it is happening to others too.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Apparently I've played 447 sessions of Hitman in 2023, which is more than there are days in the year.... :sweatdrop:

Thanks, I figured it had to just be a weird glitch but still relieved to see it is happening to others too.

Nice job Agent 447. Now make your way to the extraction point :D

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Not terribly surprising.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Here for a long time not for a good time I guess

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Respect for Morrowind :hai:

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I am kind of considering that Jedi Survivor game or the new Avatar game using the Epic coupon. Did they ever fix all of the PC port issues with the Jedi game?
Yeah, it's in a much better state than it was at release. I'd recommend it too, it's one of my favorite games of the year.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It ran like complete butt on my 3060 / ryzen 7 3700, ended up refunding it for that on the EGS. :negative:
It's probably the worst running game I've tried yet, even that Guardians of the Galaxy game ran 100x better.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 19, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i desire the forbidden steam chocolate

https://twitter.com/villecallio/status/1736687442734751818

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve been curious about Hunt, but I’m not a very good fps player and don’t want to be a liability to the team. Maybe I’ll watch some videos and see what I think.

I’ve heard that cheating is rampant and basically unopposed by Crytek, too, but I guess not so much that you two aren’t having fun!

My Steam spider graph indicates that I like things beyond the ken of mortals:

In over 2k hours I can count on both hands the number of actual cheaters I've seen - Crytek a while ago implemented Easy Anticheat and banned Reshade too. In general it's a game where being even moderately good at the game (plus some luck) can lead to some absurdly-seeming shots. Like this is from yesterday, back to back: in the first clip, I just guessed where a player's head would be given speed and trajectory (Hunt has bullet travel so you have to account for that, no bullet drop tho). In the second clip, I just randomly shot where I presumed the player was (after checking the body, I guessed wrong, but I still hit her lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXn9-X1J28w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIfCZ4ic8UY

The delay in the vid is because I was playing with 200+ latency, the game itself is pretty snappy when you're in the same region. But yeah, in general good game feel, some basic mechanical knowledge and good ears can get you very far in this game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Binary Domain in TYOOL 2023?!

It's a drat good game! (*teammates bitch at me for saying 'drat'*)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Foul Fowl posted:

fair enough, i don't know anything about mobas and i feel vindicated every day for my decision to never play competitive team games (only 1v1) and to never play co-op games with strangers

Rock and Stone, buddy…

Could change your mind!

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
40% of my play time was spent between elden ring, bg3 and age of wonders 4 but it really wanted emphasize the sheer quantity of 2$ VS clones and roguelikes I bought this year

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

:toot:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

That slice is clearly more than 0% so this is some bullshit right here GABE.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Mods ban this sick filth

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

You still bought the new games, right?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Working through the back catalogue before getting to any of the flashy new releases. Responsible gaming.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

My idol.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SlothBear posted:

This game is cool. I never expected to like a deck-based city-builder tower-defense but it ate up a good 30 hours of my time back when it came out

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256816089/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1608639179

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RIP to the folks who spent a lot of time playing hentai games have have friends really insistent on seeing their Steam Year in Review.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If you play steam games but don't buy new ones it's like stealing from Gaben himself

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

kazil posted:

If you play steam games but don't buy new ones it's like stealing from Gaben himself

If somebody ever successfully explains how that money total could have been converted into potential knife purchases, Gabe will go into an unholy rage and wreak havoc upon the land.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Detective No. 27 posted:

RIP to the folks who spent a lot of time playing hentai games have have friends really insistent on seeing their Steam Year in Review.

If someone's too cowardly to do that openly, they should just get a secondary account for it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

When you all say Rogue Trader is buggy, is it like a fun Bethesda type buggy, or more “save games literally get ruined” type of buggy?

I have spent over an hour of my life real time looking for how to complete a map to finally throw up my hands, read a guide, get spoilered for the ending, and discover that the reason I could progress was because the entrance to the area I needed to go to (they're little orbs that let you know you can go to another area) just never spawned. Closing out the game, restarting and loading an older save fixed it, but rip 1 1/2 hours of my life.

I've also been in fights where a half dozen enemies couldn't see my party, so they spend 20-30 seconds on their turn just sitting their while the AI has no idea what to do. Two minutes of time where the enemies does nothing is absolutely maddening, especially when all you do on your characters' turn is move them because they don't have line of sight to anything to shoot.

I would have rage quite if the world wasn't so cool.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I feel like Owlcat games are usually like that and it's best to wait because they eventually do a good job of fixing most of the issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

:hmmyes:

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 19, 2023