Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

It kinda sucks that they spent two origin characters on humans. It makes sense for wyll to a human because of his background lore of father being a royal high up in BG.

Where’s my half orc, dragon born, or even bad rear end dwarf? Feels like gale should’ve been different then human, we already have a half human in Shart to go along with Wyll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MintFresh posted:

It kinda sucks that they spent two origin characters on humans. It makes sense for wyll to a human because of his background lore of father being a royal high up in BG.

Where’s my half orc, dragon born, or even bad rear end dwarf? Feels like gale should’ve been different then human, we already have a half human in Shart to go along with Wyll.

Durge is a dragon by default

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Roah Moonglow is one of my most hated npcs in the game and it takes a lot of restraint not to murder her smug rear end the first time I see her in the goblin camp. But I always feel rather cathartic in Act 3 when I gun her down when she tries to flee with the gold.

Since she's got that big ol bag of gold plus her own merchant money in act 3, what happens if you just... kinda... throw Twist of Fortune at her as she runs?

Moon Slayer posted:

Oh good it's not just me then.

Speaking of that fight, I did it for the first time last night. (Deep Act III spoilers) Is the 1v1 Orin duel supposed to be unwinnable? I guess maybe if you're a melee/tank Durge you could pull it off but my relatively squishy Ranger/Rogue was literally torn apart in one turn by the Orin monster form. Since the Durge story continues with your defeat I'm sort of assuming that's the expected outcome.

Also, as I near the endgame and am starting to see how everyone's ending choices are taking shape, I really like how if you want you can be the leader of a team that absolutely refuses to learn from their mistakes. Gale goes all in on "this time my insane scheme to show up my ex get power will totally work!", Astarian and Shadowheart perpetuating their cycles of abuse, Wyll starting to truly believe his bullshit persona, etc. It's great.

Fun thing with that fight: it's supposed to be an enforced 1v1, but nobody seems to mind if you happen to bring along Fork and the Dance Macabre and some elementals.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I wonder if Marcus was supposed to be recruitable at some point. Afaik he's the only one other than companions that also strips if looted.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Your spoiler tags are messed up.

Are you supposed to talk to him somewhere before last light? That's been my first encounter with him

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I do like how when he's killed instead of disappearing like most corpses you can find his body out back where they dumped him.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Your spoiler tags are messed up.

Are you supposed to talk to him somewhere before last light? That's been my first encounter with him

Fixed :doh:

He shows up at Last Light when you first get there, if you didn't save the tieflings in act 1. You can side with him during the abduction attempt and then he'll be alive at Moonrise.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Azhais posted:

Durge is a dragon by default

Speaking of which - why do dragons and dragonborn look exactly the same? So dragons can take on a humanoid form as well as the usual one, and they look exactly like dragonborn which supposedly only have a distant ancestor? Also how did that come about, did someone gently caress a dragon once? I was very confused when I met kithrak boss's dragon in the sewers.

ChronoReverse posted:

I was a Sorcerer ... 186HP

???

Is this a typo? I didn't have any characters anywhere near this amount of hp at level 12, let alone a sorcerer

grinnard fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 18, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

grinnard posted:

Speaking of which - why do dragons and dragonborn look exactly the same? So dragons can take on a humanoid form as well as the usual one, and they look exactly like dragonborn which supposedly only have a distant ancestor? Also how did that come about, did someone gently caress a dragon once?

They're apparently hatched from dragon eggs in 5e. It's fairly vague on how that comes about other than "maybe the dragon gods did it"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Do githyanki characters have any special interactions with Dragonborn, since they're supposed to revere dragons?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Despite no ancestral links to the mighty creatures,

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

exquisite tea posted:

Do githyanki characters have any special interactions with Dragonborn, since they're supposed to revere dragons?

If I'm not mistaken, Laezel wants to ride the dragonborn that is you if you play one and talks about this

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

grinnard posted:

???

Is this a typo? I didn't have any characters anywhere near this amount of hp at level 12, let alone a sorcerer
Heroes' Feast, upcasted Aid, Necromancy of Thay's extra HP and the amulet that sets your Con to 23.

Warding Bond also gives damage resistance so losing half of my considerable HP was actually an enormous amount of damage.

Is it not a game over if you lose that specific Durge fight? I didn't know so I had prepared to the best I could since it was honor mode.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 18, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

Is it not a game over if you lose that specific Durge fight? I didn't know so I had prepared to the best I could.

Nope, which is why I thought the fight might be impossible to win.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Nope, which is why I thought the fight might be impossible to win.
I actually casted Otto's Irresistible Dance on my first turn (I won initiative of course) and since she started dancing I thought I had it in the bag before I was shown how wrong I was.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Lobe posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Laezel wants to ride the dragonborn that is you if you play one and talks about this

Whereas Karlach talks about wanting to ride you no matter who you are

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

yes. The gith are basically drooling over my dragonborn Durge. Even the queen bitch herself

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

grinnard posted:

Speaking of which - why do dragons and dragonborn look exactly the same? So dragons can take on a humanoid form as well as the usual one, and they look exactly like dragonborn which supposedly only have a distant ancestor? Also how did that come about, did someone gently caress a dragon once? I was very confused when I met kithrak boss's dragon in the sewers.

???

Dragonborn don't really have a defined origin in DnD 5e, because they were shoehorned in so people could play dragons. They were a prestige race in an earlier edition, where you could petition the Dragon God to transform you into a dragonborn. In the Forgotten Realms they're aliens from another planet.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I just assumed they came from humans and dragons loving.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

every modern crpg needs a Super Special playable race

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Huh, the "refreshed" status from the swamp well conflicts with a potion of heroism. Those things don't grow on trees you know! :argh:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Deuce posted:

Huh, the "refreshed" status from the swamp well conflicts with a potion of heroism. Those things don't grow on trees you know! :argh:

Can’t you only get temp hit points from one source?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Moon Slayer posted:

I just assumed they came from humans and dragons loving.

They don't call half-orks and half-elves , half-humans cuz I figure humans will gently caress anything in Faerun. If it walks and talks a human has hosed it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So do orcs and elves produce fertile offspring as well? You know, I've never thought about this before, probably for good reason

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That's always bothered me about D&D and other fantasy universes. That half-[race] is always human + [race]. I understand that it's likely due to rules writing and not wanting to do permutations for every race pairing, but still.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can’t you only get temp hit points from one source?

The refreshed status increases maximum hp by 10 until long rest, more like the Aid spell. It does not add temp hp.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

They don't call half-orks and half-elves , half-humans cuz I figure humans will gently caress anything in Faerun. If it walks and talks a human has hosed it

Dudes rock.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Man, I’m bummed out. If you do the goblin camp before confronting Kagha, then you just *can’t* confront her. On top of that, my Tiefling party was bugged and I couldn’t talk to any Tieflings. This led, apparently, to Zevlor not giving me a present.

Thinking of trashing this whole run now and starting over.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Trevor Hale posted:

Man, I’m bummed out. If you do the goblin camp before confronting Kagha, then you just *can’t* confront her. On top of that, my Tiefling party was bugged and I couldn’t talk to any Tieflings. This led, apparently, to Zevlor not giving me a present.

I had the same tiefling bug. If you press square (right click) and choose talk from the menu, you can talk to them.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

:eng99: gently caress off, game

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Toadsmash posted:

Lmao, this is at least in part why I have reactions set to confirm globally. No unintended sneak attacks on my watch!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Trevor Hale posted:

That happened to me in my last HM run and I missed the gloves, so for my new run, I just immediately pickpocketed an unconscious Zevlor when I let Anders deck him. It's funny how past events in an alternate version of the world affect your character's choices now. Also, I couldn't talk to any Tieflings in my last 3 runs now, so I think that's a common bug.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Toadsmash posted:

Lore accurate for an origins Astarion playthrough

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AgentHaiTo posted:

That happened to me in my last HM run and I missed the gloves, so for my new run, I just immediately pickpocketed an unconscious Zevlor when I let Anders deck him. It's funny how past events in an alternate version of the world affect your character's choices now. Also, I couldn't talk to any Tieflings in my last 3 runs now, so I think that's a common bug.

Someone out there is playing multiple playthroughs with the same Tav and calling it Groundhog Day

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEdszB_3Qdk

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Toadsmash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txLIwUiZXjE

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Monathin posted:

The point of Warlock/Paladin is twofold: being able to use Short Rest Spell Slots for your smites so that you aren't long resting after every encounter, and Blade Pact (or Hexblade in tabletop) letting you use CHA for your attack stat so you don't have to worry about micromanaging either STR or DEX. Bard/Paladin can put out some silly damage numbers if you're only expecting to do one fight before Long Resting but Warlock/Paladin is incredibly self-sufficient, alleviates a weakness of Paladin (running out of spell slots for Smites) and basically only cares about CHA and CON, which is what makes it such a popular multi.

Like I have no idea where you got "Warlock doesn't compliment Paladin" because that is literally the wrongest thing I've ever heard.

It doesn’t compliment paladin because aside from getting the extra attack and ‘having spell slots’ everything warlock does is built around Eldritch blast which is not something you’re going to be using if you’re focused on smiting.

Having to build up dex is not an issue as a bard paladin, you set dex to 17 and cha to 16 and con to 14 and you’re good. You don’t need to max out cha because nothing you’re doing with the build is utilising spell attack rolls/saving throws.
You end up with like 24 AC by the time you end act 1, which is pretty drat nice.

You do far more damage - your spell slots can last a couple fights unless it’s one of the major fights of the game - you’re already so far ahead of paladin warlock on damage it’s perfectly fine to use lower level smites as well - and even when they run out you still have flourishes to fall back on.

And since there is gently caress all stopping you from long resting pretty much whenever you want, talking about long resting as if it’s this super precious resource to be conserved is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Professor Beetus posted:

Someone out there is playing multiple playthroughs with the same Tav and calling it Groundhog Day

Reminds me of that hidden content of Karlach where she breaks the fourth wall, and says something like that. Somehow it was kind of spooky and frightening, in a Black Mirror kind of way.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Aren’t you supposed to throw potions on the ground NEAR your target, and not directly at them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

also why is spilling potion on your skin just as effective as ingesting it??