Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Make sure the humidity where you're drying is less than 50%, ideally 40ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Warm and dry are generally more important than increased airflow, esp as polyurethane cures rather than dries, but whichever of ‘make it warmer, make it drier, move more air’ you can do will absolutely help.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I wrapped up a little cabinet to hold poo poo in our bedroom this morning. The cabinet and the drawer faces are 3/4" oak; I had ordered some handles but they still haven't actually showed up so I ended up just making some out of maple. I messed with dye gradients a while back but hadn't had a chance to try it with furniture. (The sheen on the poly is making the top look pale green despite it being the same color as the bottom drawer and some of the drawer faces look dirty but both are just me being too stupid to camera.)

Turns out the wall and the floor aren't even remotely square after a hundred years so I have some shimming in my future.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wallet posted:

so I have some shimming in my future

This should be the whole forum's subtitle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks, y'all. Turns out I have one more day than I thought for these boxes to offgas, so hopefully they won't stink too bad by then.

Here's a photo of them with one fresh coat of finish:

They're a bit slapdash, just glued butt joints, but since they're so small (like 4"x5"x2.5"), I don't expect that to be a problem. They're for holding the coasters visible in the back.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
My latest project is one I'd have preferred not to have to make so soon after the last one but you gotta do what you gotta do.
It's pretty big for a small woman but it's big enough to fit her and her pets in and will go in the niche next to the one I made for my dad two years ago.

Base, contrast strip, and top ambrosia maple. Sides quartersawn cherry.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry for your loss.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Nice looking box, sorry that you had to make it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
crossposting from the cursed thread

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

My Spirit Otter posted:

nice crapper but that's stone.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
A stone shitter doesn't seem like such a big leap from porcelain tbh

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Wasabi the J posted:

jesus it is, it looked like wood on my phone, whoops

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Nice looking box, sorry that you had to make it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My Spirit Otter posted:

Loling at the timing of this post

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Looks like marble, but I took it for granite.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Nice looking toilet, sorry you had to make it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Deteriorata posted:

Looks like marble, but I took it for granite.

Groan

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Some questions about the order of operations:

I'm pretty new to this. With my projects so far, I've used the following order: glue, smooth (sand/scrape/plane), finish (varnish). But it's rather difficult to sand things with inside corners or other complicated shapes. So I've googled around and it seems some people do things in other orders. You could also:

Option 2: smooth, glue, finish
You'd have to be careful with the glue-up to not damage anything because you've already done all your smoothing. Also how do you deal with squeeze-out here? I've generally just sanded/planed squeeze-out after but you won't be able to do that most likely. Some people say to remove the squeeze-out with a damp cloth right after gluing/clamping, others say you can wait some amount of time (how long?) and it'll be gummy and easier to remove. Any preferences?

Option 3: Smooth, finish, glue
I'm guessing to do this, you have to tape off areas in the joinery to prevent the finish from interfering with the glue. Doesn't seem very feasible if you're doing dovetails for example. Would have to be very careful with the glue-up to not damage or mar the finish. Same questions with squeeze-out as above. Will the glue not adhere to the finished areas?

I'm working on a small table. Basic design, the base consists of 4 legs joined by aprons with mortise and tenon joints. I'm thinking of going with option 3 for the base (the top will be attached later with buttons). Do I need to tape the insides of the mortise if I'm using wipe on poly, or is it unlikely to drip down inside? For the top, I'll go with option 1 (glue the panel up, then smooth and finish). Does this sound reasonable?

I guess the answers here are "it depends", but I'd love to hear from more experienced folks their thought process when approaching this.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A damp cloth does pretty well at removing squeeze-out and helps you see where it's going to be an issue while it's still not a big deal to remove, but typically I want to give the final assembly a quick sanding pass too; just because the individual components are sanded doesn't mean they'll fit together seamlessly. When there's a lot of hard-to-reach interior geometry going on I like to make use of strips of fabric -backed sanding belt and just sorta floss in there

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

I'm working on a small table. Basic design, the base consists of 4 legs joined by aprons with mortise and tenon joints. I'm thinking of going with option 3 for the base (the top will be attached later with buttons). Do I need to tape the insides of the mortise if I'm using wipe on poly, or is it unlikely to drip down inside? For the top, I'll go with option 1 (glue the panel up, then smooth and finish). Does this sound reasonable?

Even if you get poly inside the joint where you don't want it you can just sand it off before assembly, though I'm not sure you really need to do the poly ahead of time. Trying to make everything perfect before it's assembled is a lot harder than sanding it to look perfect after assembly. When I'm going to dye something I'll usually dye all of the components before assembly, sand, and then dye them again because if any squeeze out penetrates the wood it wont accept color the way the rest of the wood will anymore, but otherwise I don't usually find pre-finishing necessary.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Stultus Maximus posted:

My latest project is one I'd have preferred not to have to make so soon after the last one but you gotta do what you gotta do.
It's pretty big for a small woman but it's big enough to fit her and her pets in and will go in the niche next to the one I made for my dad two years ago.

Base, contrast strip, and top ambrosia maple. Sides quartersawn cherry.

This didn't get the love it deserves. Pity about the circumstances, but that's a lovely box. My condolences, that's really rough, losing your parents in such a short span.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Just Winging It posted:

This didn't get the love it deserves. Pity about the circumstances, but that's a lovely box. My condolences, that's really rough, losing your parents in such a short span.
Yeah it is really gorgeous. Maple and cherry and are so pretty together.

HappyHippo posted:

Some questions about the order of operations:

I'm pretty new to this. With my projects so far, I've used the following order: glue, smooth (sand/scrape/plane), finish (varnish). But it's rather difficult to sand things with inside corners or other complicated shapes. So I've googled around and it seems some people do things in other orders. You could also:

Option 2: smooth, glue, finish
You'd have to be careful with the glue-up to not damage anything because you've already done all your smoothing. Also how do you deal with squeeze-out here? I've generally just sanded/planed squeeze-out after but you won't be able to do that most likely. Some people say to remove the squeeze-out with a damp cloth right after gluing/clamping, others say you can wait some amount of time (how long?) and it'll be gummy and easier to remove. Any preferences?

Option 3: Smooth, finish, glue
I'm guessing to do this, you have to tape off areas in the joinery to prevent the finish from interfering with the glue. Doesn't seem very feasible if you're doing dovetails for example. Would have to be very careful with the glue-up to not damage or mar the finish. Same questions with squeeze-out as above. Will the glue not adhere to the finished areas?

I guess the answers here are "it depends", but I'd love to hear from more experienced folks their thought process when approaching this.
I would love to be good enough to pre-finish stuff but I've accepted that I'm not. The exception is screwed on cabinet backs where it is 800x easier to finish the inside if the back isn't attached. Similarly table tops usually get finished not attached to the base, drawers get finished without bottoms etc.

My basic order of operations is:
1. Finish machining
2. Belt sand
3. DA/orbital sand/hand sand to kill sharp edges
4. assemble (wipe down squeeze out well a few times with a wet rag)
5. touch up sand any squeeze out
6. stain/finish

If I know I'm gonna need to sand something flush like dovetails or drawer runners across a case front, I will usually only belt send them before assembly to remove tearout and machine marks and then do step 3 once it's assembled. Between diligently wiping down the squeezout with a wet rag and sanding those areas lightly with 220 after glueup, stain usually will still take. It may not take quite as well, but it isn't a glaring yellow glue spot.

A big reason I don't pre-finish stuff is that I often use glazes or similar in my finish process to sit in corners and highlight details in mouldings etc. More MCM/contemporary style probably lend themselves a bit more to prefinishing than more traditional stuff with applied mouldings.

I just recently had 4 different pieces in the shop I was finishing at the same time with three different finishes, and it made me get way more organized with my finishing. Made some little spreadsheets with easy checkboxes and space to date/time when stuff was done to ensure enough dry time. It wound up really being a huge help in keeping track of everything, especially with a second person helping occasionally. God knows how many times I've been wondering 'hmm was that the 3rd coat or 4th coat of lacquer I just put on?' or 'did I sand with to 120 or 150 already?'
For this distressed antique white oak finish:

Here's the finish/sanding schedule:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Handheld or like a pass through a wide belt sander?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm a bit surprised to see the belt sander in there, honestly, because I'm used to thinking of that as a very rough and imprecise tool. It won't give you flat or smooth surfaces, it'll just fairly rapidly remove material. Appropriate in some circumstances, for sure; for example, I could see using it to flatten out the ends on some dovetail pins or something. But as a standard part of your workflow? I feel like I must be missing something.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

rapidly removing material is an important first step in woodworking! unless you're gonna go all Axel Erlandson in which case you probably should start your own thread

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

rapidly removing material is an important first step in woodworking! unless you're gonna go all Axel Erlandson in which case you probably should start your own thread

I mean, if you want to start from the beginning, my order of operations is something like:

1. get rough-cut lumber
2. flatten, joint, and thickness lumber to S2S1E
3. cut boards to whatever sizes and shapes I need
4. dry assemble; do any required rough sanding to remove tool marks / do fine adjustments of pieces so they're well-fitted
5. glue
6. fine sanding
7. finish

Mind you, Kaiser Schnitzel has a lot more experience than I do. I'm sure that what he's doing is appropriate, I just don't understand it myself.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah the belt sander sits solidly on steps 3 or 4 (depending on how aggressive you get with it), which translates to pretty much exactly the same order of operations

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

Handheld or like a pass through a wide belt sander?
Handheld 4x24" Makita.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm a bit surprised to see the belt sander in there, honestly, because I'm used to thinking of that as a very rough and imprecise tool.
It is if you're not good at belt sanding!!! That's not an :owned: or anything. Of hand-operated power tools the belt sander and router are by far the hardest to use well. It helps a ton to put some of this graphite coated fabric on the platen. It really keeps the edges of the belt from digging in and kinda pads the belt a little so its not quite as aggressive. I absolutely fit all my joints and do all machining etc before I belt sand stuff because you're right that a belt sanded surface is no longer reliably flat or square.

quote:

It won't give you flat or smooth surfaces, it'll just fairly rapidly remove material. Appropriate in some circumstances, for sure; for example, I could see using it to flatten out the ends on some dovetail pins or something. But as a standard part of your workflow? I feel like I must be missing something.
A 100 or 120 grit belt in a hard wood gives a pretty decent surface actually! Now that I have a better planer and DA sander I don't belt sand as much, but a minute with 100 and 120 belts will save me 5 minutes of DA sanding trying to sand out machine marks, and it much more reliably removes them. If I DA sand only I always seem to discover a random mill mark when I'm staining. At the shop where I used to work we only ran 2 knives in the planer instead of 4 and it was a freakin 2 hr event to swap knives so we ran them duller than was ideal and also used a ton of sapele which is a recipe for lots of practice belt sanding. I would usually start at 80 or even 60 grit-with my planer I usually start at 100 or 120. Even starting at 80 doesn't take that long-the first pass with the coarsest grit takes a while to sand out the bad stuff, but after that you are just sanding out the scratches from the prior grit.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Christian Becksvoort, shaker furniture master has several belt sanders that he keeps readily available, all with a different grit of sandpaper loaded up. Surprised me as well, but people that do furniture for a living seem to gravitate to them for their speed.

Myself, I've never actually used one. It would probably be a quick way to ruin whatever I'm working on.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

My dad has been doing woodworking in his garage for 30+ years, and is looking at updating a bunch of his garage soon to improve organization and clean things up.

That said, he's had a ton of joint/mobility issues lately that aren't going anywhere. Any recommendations, articles, suggestions etc I can look at to try and make some subtle improvements for him?

He's going to be hesitant to do anything drastic, but I'd love be for him to have an accessiblle/usable shop that minimizes fall/trip hazards etc

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have a belt sander I built myself that is perhaps my most used homemade tool. I have been plannig to build more belt sanders since I find them so useful for both metal and woodwork.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Pics or it didn't happen

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a belt sander I built myself that is perhaps my most used homemade tool. I have been plannig to build more belt sanders since I find them so useful for both metal and woodwork.

post it binch

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here's an old photo. Changed a bit since then. Planning do rebuild it some day again to take longer belts.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sick. Here's my wet saw in exchange. It's for lapidary (rocks)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Thanks for the replies re order of operations

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Here's an old photo. Changed a bit since then. Planning do rebuild it some day again to take longer belts.

badass

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

for those of us immersed in the hobby or profession of woodworking, a belt sander (can) mean a benchtop rig like the one Divine Shadow just showed off; for the layperson American, though, when you say "belt sander" they are 99% of the time thinking of this:

It is useful to make the distinction when suggesting a tool or practice because while both devices sand with a belt, the former has a different workflow and IMO is much more controllable and less likely to, say, suddenly gouge a huge divot into your work, than the latter.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you ever try holding an entire assembled table up to a bench sander tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

well no lol and I use both although the portable belt sander is not a tool I have enough finesse with to use it for fine work, but it's nice when I want to apply aggressive 60 grit to some twisty grained oak that'll tear out and be a real pain in the rear end to deal with with a hand plane

Just saying if you are talking about a benchtop belt sander to a newbie you might need to be specific or they'll assume you're talking about a portable one