Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://www.pcgamer.com/best-ongoing-game-2023-warhammer-40000-darktide/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there any mod that will let me see a teammate's build *after* the mission is done? I've been on a couple missions with psykers and zealots who are putting up absolutely unreal results. I assume they're not cheating, and I wanna know their secrets.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there any mod that will let me see a teammate's build *after* the mission is done? I've been on a couple missions with psykers and zealots who are putting up absolutely unreal results. I assume they're not cheating, and I wanna know their secrets.

https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide/mods/160

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNa86T4izbo

One last little message from the Karnak Twins before they got choke slammed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm doing the warp charge BB penance and I don't really get the utility of warp charge versus empowered. It relies on a bunch of poo poo to happen and chance when empowered is just turned on always and is a big power boost. Am I not getting it?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

JBP posted:

I'm doing the warp charge BB penance and I don't really get the utility of warp charge versus empowered. It relies on a bunch of poo poo to happen and chance when empowered is just turned on always and is a big power boost. Am I not getting it?

Warp charges are extra free damage and also cooldown on your abilities. You're able to spam them much faster, which matters for things like the shield. Also it's extremely easy to get warp charges, especially on Damnation where the game shits out elites and specials like it has diarrhea.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Warp charges affect all damage, empowered is only your blitz. You generally use warp charges in staff focused builds, or soulfire builds so you can spam shriek.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNa86T4izbo

One last little message from the Karnak Twins before they got choke slammed.

Knowing Warhammer, there's a good chance that Nurgle just stapled them back together fifteen minutes after the fight.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

This game has an UNCANNY way of always insuring there is somebody else playing the same class as me in my group no matter what I pick. I wish I could change class at loadout screen.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can't change your class, but you can change your layout/talents. I'll sometimes swap if I notice someone using a very similar build that we don't need two of.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This game has an UNCANNY way of always insuring there is somebody else playing the same class as me in my group no matter what I pick. I wish I could change class at loadout screen.

I agree. Half the time I pick veteran I feel like I am compelled to play 'protect the other veteran/s who never pull out their melee weapon' because if I don't, they will die at the first sign of trouble. In some of these cases, I would like to just throw my hands in the air and swap to ogryn or bubble stunlock support psyker.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Seems like 90% of players that aren't level 30 are veterans, while damnation is pretty nicely varied.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If you're doing a Purgatus build you can build up Warp Charges super easy thanks to that one perk that gives you a 10% chance of getting one on killing any enemy with Soul Blaze, blast into a crowd of Groaners and Pox Walkers and odds are pretty good you'll walk away with at least a couple charges if not a full set

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

JBP posted:

Seems like 90% of players that aren't level 30 are veterans, while damnation is pretty nicely varied.

Maybe in your region, but when I'm playing damnation its 50% veteran, 30% psyker, 20% fanatic, and 10% ogryn

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Fatshark confirmed that Veteran is the most common class, and it feels like it’s by a pretty sizable margin. The other three all feel pretty even.

e: Statistically, if all classes were equally represented in the population, and three random pubbies joined you, you’d have a roughly 58% chance of there being at least one other person on your team the same class as you. If it’s really true that Vets make up 50% of the population, and you’re playing Vet, that chance rises to 87.5%. I don’t think they’re quite that numerous, though.

megane fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 19, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

John Darktide is part of all of us.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captainicus posted:

Maybe in your region, but when I'm playing damnation its 50% veteran, 30% psyker, 20% fanatic, and 10% ogryn

I reckon when I play it feels like 30/30/20/20 between vet, zealot, psyker and ogryn. Like I'm always getting 2 vets or zealots and another class. I'm playing psyker right now and when I see another psyker I get excited because you can do some funny synergy if you get some time in loadout.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ogyn is honestly like turning the difficulty level down a few notches with the right loadouts, grab all the toughness damage reduction minor nodes and 1 point in the middle keystone and you can just walk through a dozen elite gunners unloading into your face and barely have your toughness bar move before you fill it right back up to full with a heavy attack on something nearby.

You are more in danger from the gunners combined force pushing you into a wall unable to move forward then you are from their damage and your greatest threat is teammates killing everything within heavy attack distance of you before you can.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not surprised Veteran is the most commonly played class. It's like The loving Elf in Vermintide for being a shooter and people have wanted to play Guardsman Simulator 40K for decades.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You are more in danger from the gunners combined force pushing you into a wall unable to move forward then you are from their damage and your greatest threat is teammates killing everything within heavy attack distance of you before you can.

I've had this exact thing happen with gunners / new flamers before with tank ogryn, which is very funny. Just standing there for 4s wishing I had charge ready as the gunners chip away at the tougness bar.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am somewhat tempted to switch to a batshit stupid talent tree and gray weapons after matches, now that some goons have taught me how to top charts with a shield

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Captainicus posted:

I've had this exact thing happen with gunners / new flamers before with tank ogryn, which is very funny. Just standing there for 4s wishing I had charge ready as the gunners chip away at the tougness bar.

Turn sideways and dodge slide at them while charging a heavy. It's like a dance and everyone's your partner.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pull out your kickback and knock them all down.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is there a guide on how to craft weapons? I played a bunch at launch and am now kinda jumping back in but I haven't spend any of my resources to craft weapons as I have yet to hit level 30 (currently 25) with my zealot.

I remember reading it was pointless until you hit level 30 and then you wanted to find grey weapons with the highest level to start upgrading but I don't know if that is still true.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Popete posted:

Is there a guide on how to craft weapons? I played a bunch at launch and am now kinda jumping back in but I haven't spend any of my resources to craft weapons as I have yet to hit level 30 (currently 25) with my zealot.

I remember reading it was pointless until you hit level 30 and then you wanted to find grey weapons with the highest level to start upgrading but I don't know if that is still true.

Super quick - Grey weapons at 310+ (iirc) will give you higher tier blessings upon being upgraded. If you are fishing for blessings this is a decentish way to do so.

Ideally you have a bunch of candidate weapons with good stats in that 370+ stat rating (weapons with tremendous dump stats notwithstanding), and upgrade them from whatever state they are in to orange.

Knowing what you are looking for on the perks and blessings side of things really helps you do not waste plaststeel, as you can modify 2 out of the 4 slots (either 2 blessings, two perks, or one of each), but this locks the others that you didn't modify.

So ideally, a blue with good stats, a good perk and a good blessings is an absolute must buy, because you know you're free rolling the last perk/blessing, as if they aren't good you can change them off.

Conversely, upgrading greys can be a bit of a risk because you have no idea what any of the perks/blessings are going to turn out (aka "Hadron Bricking my Grey").

It's all a trade off between getting lucky and attempting to mitigate the rolls with known info.

EDIT: wait until your character is 30 and can start picking up high statted weapons before spending plasteel. Getting the shop checker (https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/armoury-exchange/hcjihmkcnjkfkaeebhnpjcnnibpoolgc) helps to build up your arsenal of potential weapons to upgrade.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Turn sideways and dodge slide at them while charging a heavy. It's like a dance and everyone's your partner.

I will remember this for next time!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Legit Businessman posted:

EDIT: wait until your character is 30 and can start picking up high statted weapons before spending plasteel. Getting the shop checker (https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/armoury-exchange/hcjihmkcnjkfkaeebhnpjcnnibpoolgc) helps to build up your arsenal of potential weapons to upgrade.

Thanks! I'll wait until level 30 to really dive into this, for now save the materials.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there a way to make scryers gaze useful in a build? I made my guy full maniac right tree and it was funny but I'm not sure what weapons to use. I paired it with very good burn/+damage blessed rapid fire lasgun and my force sword and would clown on everything that wasn't armoured.

It's worth giving it a go for the German man yelling great lines when you activate it and wade into a hundred dudes turbomurdering.

E: tomorrow I'm going to buy my psyker a chainsword

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 19, 2023

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

JBP posted:

Is there a way to make scryers gaze useful in a build? I made my guy full maniac right tree and it was funny but I'm not sure what weapons to use. I paired it with very good burn/+damage blessed rapid fire lasgun and my force sword and would clown on everything that wasn't armoured.

It's worth giving it a go for the German man yelling great lines when you activate it and wade into a hundred dudes turbomurdering.

I think scryer's gaze is best with a weapon you can hit good horizontal head-height slashes with (devil's claw, illisi force sword, whatever the new knife is named) combined with warp charges. Take the upgrade for finesse damage on scryer's gaze, activate when you are about to kill a dense crowd or slice through some elites (so you quickly restock your warp charges) and go nuts. With the bonus from scrier's gaze, bonus finesse damage, and 6 warp charges, you'll be able to make quick work of non-ogryn. You'll get good duration of scryer's gaze while cleaving through crowds in melee from the inbuilt peril reduction (though if you use a force sword you will have to be careful empowering it until after gaze is over). Maybe not as effective as a juiced-up fanatic in melee, but quite fun!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
What I appreciate about this game is that I've yet to run into a class mix that just doesn't work. if you're playing with people who are at least okay you can get by with pretty much any mix.

My favorite combos from a hillarity standpoint:

1 psyker 3 zealots, otherwise known as "I'm afraid!"

3 ogryn 1 psyker, the "i feel extremely safe"

2 vets 2 ogryn "THE GUARD PREVAILS!"

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

4 ogryn or 3 Ogryn, 1 vet are my favorite combos. Big lads on tour, or protect the boss.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Benagain posted:

What I appreciate about this game is that I've yet to run into a class mix that just doesn't work. if you're playing with people who are at least okay you can get by with pretty much any mix.

From a mechanical standpoint, I appreciate having a bubble shield psyker in the party, especially if I'm that psyker. But from a sheer fun standpoint, I always enjoy a 4 ogryn party. Just a group of big happy boys pummeling monstrosities to death with rocks.

Arc Hammer posted:

Finally got all the hidden penances for Veteran. The one for finishing a mission with 0 ammo and a 90% hit rate was annoying even when I used a low ammo weapon because I'm never sure if a hit on an enemy kill credited to your teammates counts or not. So I played like a nob knocking over enemies with shout and then shooting point blank in the face methodically until I ran out of ammo before switching to melee the rest of the run.

This reminded me I never actually did that one, and I wanted the top-tier black helmet with the rebreather. Finally knocked it out today and good lord, that was a tense match. Had another vet in the party with the talent that replenishes ammo for elite kills.

Any other day that would be great, but not in the final wave when I was getting bullets back as quickly as I could fire them.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 19, 2023

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

4 ogryn or 3 Ogryn, 1 vet are my favorite combos. Big lads on tour, or protect the boss.

3 Ogryn, 1 Vet with the ammo crate grenade talent, and the +2 bombs maelstrom modifier.

:getin:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

JBP posted:

Another good SG build is Voidstrike with Transfer Peril. Make sure your staff has good peril resist and quell speed, and be sure to take the 20% peril resist talent for SG. It rips through everything and can keep SG up for 30+ seconds easily… just be ready to gently caress up the timing and explode yourself a few times while you get used to it.

I don’t know if they ever fixed the bug where Warp Siphon didn’t decrease the cooldown on SG. Regardless, you could probably pick whatever you want for the capstone.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

wait, it checks the orientation you're facing to determine if you're sliding towards them? or am I misreading this?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

wait, it checks the orientation you're facing to determine if you're sliding towards them? or am I misreading this?
I think they mean to first look sideways and then dodge in the direction that the (now off-screen) enemy is at, then quickly look towards them again for your attack (if needed). It's basically a janky way to allow you to dodge forwards since the game normally doesn't allow that.

Besides using it for some extra reach on your heavy attacks you can also do this while reloading to keep up the pace.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Think of it like crab walking or Ocarina of time speedrun side hopping.

If you aren't using your dodge (especially as an ogryn) to move around the combat area, you're missing out.

You should be dipping, diving, and dodging to get in a better position to land your melee attacks.

It feels great once you get into that flow state, and it very much feels like a dance.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've always used sliding, though that's mostly muscle memory from playing Zealot.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Benagain posted:

The only combo I've seen that did not work was 3 flamer zealots and a braced autogun vet, we got picked apart by gunners and snipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

I only play this game late at night after my wife goes to bed, with pubbies, so high I can barely walk, and I have hundreds of hours in it lol

This is the way