Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Aramoro posted:

I'm not sure what happened here. I went to the Bottomless Pit and talked to it for a bit and then one of my crew members went Missing and right enough Jae vanished from my party. But then the Missing quest just completed itself without me doing anything and Jae is right there on my ship.

That's the normal outcome of that, yes (Jae should have a brand new trait for her trouble). You can also choose to sacrifice the team member, or there's apparently a sooper sikrit way to gently caress with the Darkness but I haven't managed to trigger it.

Carcer posted:

Tau are on the wrong side of the galaxy.

Having said that, I would kill for a DLC that gives you a crisis battlesuit companion.

That's not really a narrative issue though. "Drukhari nabbed a Firewarrior for fun torture purposes that one time. He's got nowhere better to be than on your ship, plus he owes you for the rescue."

Blockhouse posted:

It's not a bug. Idira is something like 95% more likely to trigger perils of the warp than a sanctioned psyker

At least when she has the reviving backpack she doesn't blow her own noggin' so much. Still pops demons left and right tho. Free momentum !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Relevant Tangent posted:

There's a wormhole that the Ordos Chronos keeps coming into existence to prevent anyone from exploring that connects directly to where the Tau are currently fighting a bitter war with the Imperium in the Koronus Expanse. It also enables legitimate time travel which obviously horrifies everyone sensible.

The Ordos what

*google*

TIME COPS???

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

habeasdorkus posted:

All of what you said is entirely correct, but I read the discussion about assassins to be about normal hitters, not "Eversor on lease from the Officio Assassinorum." Like, the Inquisition having moles in various planetary governments is pretty common.

I like the fact that every time you have the opportunity to ask Heinrik if there are secret agents on your planets/ship he won't answer, just gives you a Look. "OF COURSE DUMMY".

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

murder plot spoilers: if you don't have argenta with you in bad elf town, does she never confess she offed theodora?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Blockhouse posted:

The Ordos what

*google*

TIME COPS???

They're hilarious, they've existed at least three times prior to the current incarnation as far as the current incarnation can tell and nobody is sure if they're succeeding or failing. Normal Inquisitors are already one bad day away from being completely batshit and now you've got Quantum Uncertainty fuckers messing up the timeline. There's an Ork that went into the past to kill himself so he could have twice the snazzy guns and it worked. Imagine how much the time cops hate him. At one point before the Eye opened and the Imperium got split in two the Ordo Chronos realized there were at least three completely different timelines all trying to make themselves real and all equally valid.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Relevant Tangent posted:

There's a wormhole that the Ordos Chronos keeps coming into existence to prevent anyone from exploring that connects directly to where the Tau are currently fighting a bitter war with the Imperium in the Koronus Expanse. It also enables legitimate time travel which obviously horrifies everyone sensible.

There's nobody sensible in this theme.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Blockhouse posted:

The Ordos what

*google*

TIME COPS???

I didn't know about this until now, but I should have guessed. Of loving course a kitchen sink setting like 40k would end up having Time Cops.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Prism posted:

An Ork Warboss once ran into his past self by warp travel fuckery. He of course proceeded to kill his younger self in order to acquire another copy of his favorite gun. Nothing makes more sense.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Thankfully for the setting's sanity, the Ordos Chronos is currently (as much as that has meaning) occupied with a civil war over Guilliman's newly decreed calendar that moved the setting past the year 999M41 so there's no chance of Imperial time-fuckery being employed in the foreseeable future.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Prism posted:

Orkimedes begs to differ

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In the Rogue Trader tabletop it’s possible to build a ship with so many bonuses to warp travel that with a decent (player-character Navigator) you can semi-reliably arrive before you left.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Warmachine posted:

That, and the already litigated "these guys aren't grimdark enough."

Honestly, I think them trying to grimdark them up with the Ethereal mind control stuff and the second class citizen alien stuff made them less interesting than when they first came out and hadn't been fleshed out yet so their fluff was basically "little blue dudes who are mostly chill and whose natural response to meeting aliens is to negotiate with them and work with them/befriend them instead of glassing them from orbit/killing them/eating them like literally every other faction in the setting".

But people got really angry about the slightest hint of optimism in 40k and at the existence of a faction that could plausibly be considered "good guys" without too many asterisks.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It's stupid too because they Tau have still always been bad guys it's just that they're Star Trek villains and seem less obviously horrifying than everyone else but they are from the same mold as the Romulans or the Cardassians. If they were in Star Trek it's not hard to imagine Picard matching wits with Water Caste diplomats or getting into a territorial dispute with an Air Caste commander of a Tau vessel, but the Tau aren't dealing with the Federation, they're dealing with the Imperium of Man and they come off a lot better in the comparison.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tomalak but a tau

Taumalak

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
glad theyre fixing things since I still can't settle on an officer build that I wanna run with Abe/Cassia/Argenta/Yriliet/Heinrix. did ch1 quite a few times tho. every recc seems to have them as a psyker and well, dont trust none of that nonsense

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Probably because for a while the main place to field them on tabletop was in the inquisition armies.

Yeah, this is exactly right in my case. I had the Daemonhunters Codex back in 3rd Edition, which is where most of my 40k knowledge comes from.

AnEdgelord posted:

It's stupid too because they Tau have still always been bad guys it's just that they're Star Trek villains and seem less obviously horrifying than everyone else but they are from the same mold as the Romulans or the Cardassians. If they were in Star Trek it's not hard to imagine Picard matching wits with Water Caste diplomats or getting into a territorial dispute with an Air Caste commander of a Tau vessel, but the Tau aren't dealing with the Federation, they're dealing with the Imperium of Man and they come off a lot better in the comparison.

I'll side-eye their aesthetic all day, but I definitely liked them better when they were a foil to the rest of the grimdark. "These guys would be evil in any other setting, but in this one they are basically saints" was a funny bit. And honestly if they wanted to grit them up, just lean into your fascism justification thing and have the Tau get their poo poo kicked in constantly with people backstabbing them, or propaganda getting spread among the periphery that you're just not equipped to deal with because you don't understand that the fash don't care about little details like "truth" or "honesty." Alexandros Joneros says the Ethereals are turning the friggen Squiggs gay, and this is a total lie but the PR caste can't figure out that you're not really capable of fighting this stuff on even terms.

Would have been neat commentary on real life but I guess GW wasn't ready for that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

In the Rogue Trader tabletop it’s possible to build a ship with so many bonuses to warp travel that with a decent (player-character Navigator) you can semi-reliably arrive before you left.

Yeah in my TT game I got confused recently keeping the calendar because they arrived a month before they left.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Complications posted:

Thankfully for the setting's sanity, the Ordos Chronos is currently (as much as that has meaning) occupied with a civil war over Guilliman's newly decreed calendar that moved the setting past the year 999M41 so there's no chance of Imperial time-fuckery being employed in the foreseeable future.

Opposite Guilliman just found out that the Ordos Chronos is in a civil war called the Chronostrife over what the date is with five main factions, and a bunch of lesser ones. As a result he couldn't figure out what year it is cause between the main five there are at least 800 years of variance and it's another thing on the list he has to work on repairing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MotU posted:

glad theyre fixing things since I still can't settle on an officer build that I wanna run with Abe/Cassia/Argenta/Yriliet/Heinrix. did ch1 quite a few times tho. every recc seems to have them as a psyker and well, dont trust none of that nonsense

Voice of Command + Inspiring Presence + Bring It Down. Pump Fellowship to the moon, and take Master Tactician with Linchpin and Inspiration. Your officer becomes essentially a firestarter that points at one person and yells at them to generate Momentum. You don't really have time to spend AP on psyker powers. By midgame, your first bonus turn with whoever you decide to kingmake will generate a full Heroic Act, and get you most of the way to the second one when the turn bounces back to your officer.

When you hit Exemplar, there's a couple good talents for officer characters and one of them gives a damage boost when the officer is within 2 squares, so you can be the guy who is just sitting next to the machine gunner screaming into their ear. :allears:

For reference, my almost permanent party was Abe/Cassia/Argenta/Yrliet/Pasqal, using Ulfar instead of Abe when Ulfar was around and switching Yrliet for Heinrix when appropriate. Heinrix is actually a decent pick for a party psyker since Word of the Emperor buffs resolve which means more momentum. Your officer + Cassia provide so many free turns.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah in my TT game I got confused recently keeping the calendar because they arrived a month before they left.
Did they jump their past selves?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the Wiki it looks like a lot of work was done on that topic.

quote:

As the Indomitus Crusade's first phase drew to a close some dozen Terran years after his awakening, Guilliman calculated the current year by the five main factional variants of the Imperial Calendar to be anywhere between the early 41st Millennium and an entire millennium later, and that was leaving out the numerous lesser, more heretical interpretations. Guilliman had been hoping to find a solution to the Imperium's tortured dating system; he had instead found there was none. It was something else that would ultimately require his personal attention to repair.

The problem faced by Guilliman was that after the opening of the Great Rift, near every active Imperial war zone had to devise and reinforce its own chronological system. Even had the Imperium of Man not been split in half by the massive Warp rift, the sheer interstellar distances it covered prohibited any accurate reflection of time and space.

Despite the flexibility of the "check number" system of old outlined above, pioneered at the time of the Great Crusade, where the first digit of each timestamp indicated its veracity, it became easy for dates and times to lose all meaning between star systems. Guilliman finally resolved the problem after a long conference with his historitors and the mysterious organisation of the Ordo Chronos. He decreed that a single logic could no longer be applied to time and space within the Imperium.

Through the senate of the High Lords of Terra he made his theory and resultant process into law. There could no longer be a unified Imperial calendar with so much temporal distortion occurring across the galaxy. Even though the rift's temporal warping effects might not have reached the furthest spinward planets at the galaxy's fringes, its psychic echoes -- and the lack of the Astronomican that resulted -- were still felt profoundly on those worlds.

Therefore, each sub-section of the Imperium would have to look to its own chronology, and use the coming of the Great Rift in that sector as its overarching reference point. The Cicatrix Maledictum became the defining point of the new era.

Reading this also got me into reading about the Historica
https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Logos_Historica_Verita

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Issaries posted:

Did you do the Dargonis colony build to the end? Genestealer Cult gathering and rising up was part of the colony storyline as you upgrade your colony.

Ah gently caress, I just accidentally started this and did the wrong thing.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Well I thought Lowlcat had gotten over their love of absurd difficulty spikes and then I hit the act 3 final boss. 1000 hp and multiple abilities to just heal back to full huh, including one guaranteed in a cutscene mid battle.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I killed her in the first round.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

I killed her in the first round.

I could kill her in the first round except she interrupts the turns granted by heroic ability to fully heal and then give all her minions turns. It ended up being much easier to just ignore her and mulch her minions and then finish her off in one final 20000 damage argenta burst.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

The game's new way of tormenting me is to give everyone the level up button despite being level 35 and not being able to pick anything or unlock the level 36 archetype.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

lfmao. thanks for getting me out of bad elf town, good elf. but you're still a xeno sooooo.... *bolter to the face*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Janissary Hop posted:

The game's new way of tormenting me is to give everyone the level up button despite being level 35 and not being able to pick anything or unlock the level 36 archetype.

one must imagine sisyphus happy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

wait, no, you're tantalus gently caress

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Blockhouse posted:

The Ordos what

*google*

TIME COPS???

The Ordo Chronos is great.

My vote for best minor group of Inquisitors still goes to the Ordo Redactus, whose goal is to redact Imperial history and get rid of anyone looking into it, and the Ordo Originatus, whose goal is to learn everything they can about Imperial history. IIRC both of them just have slapfights constantly instead of ever getting anything done one way or the other.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

and they're all subscribed to inquisitor vail's mailing list

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

I could kill her in the first round except she interrupts the turns granted by heroic ability to fully heal and then give all her minions turns. It ended up being much easier to just ignore her and mulch her minions and then finish her off in one final 20000 damage argenta burst.

kill minions with argenta to gain versatility and momentum -> use momentum to give argenta extra turns

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Warmachine posted:

When you hit Exemplar, there's a couple good talents for officer characters and one of them gives a damage boost when the officer is within 2 squares, so you can be the guy who is just sitting next to the machine gunner screaming into their ear. :allears:

I think of it more like the scrawny guy who goes "Yeaaah, what she said !" behind the big bully

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
got to that bit of chapter 3 and I'm just stunned that Yrliet's the one mandatory companion for the sequence who then can't actually do anything in fights because she can't use any of the found equipment unless you're either cheesing it or used a talent.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Warmachine posted:

Voice of Command + Inspiring Presence + Bring It Down. Pump Fellowship to the moon, and take Master Tactician with Linchpin and Inspiration. Your officer becomes essentially a firestarter that points at one person and yells at them to generate Momentum. You don't really have time to spend AP on psyker powers. By midgame, your first bonus turn with whoever you decide to kingmake will generate a full Heroic Act, and get you most of the way to the second one when the turn bounces back to your officer.

For reference, my almost permanent party was Abe/Cassia/Argenta/Yrliet/Pasqal, using Ulfar instead of Abe when Ulfar was around and switching Yrliet for Heinrix when appropriate. Heinrix is actually a decent pick for a party psyker since Word of the Emperor buffs resolve which means more momentum. Your officer + Cassia provide so many free turns.

drat forgot pasqal, need to dump either the elf or the nerd . . .

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

I think of it more like the scrawny guy who goes "Yeaaah, what she said !" behind the big bully

In my Trader's defense, she was pretty good with a sword and hunting rifle, so she'd "spot" poo poo (tag it with At All Costs) and swat anything that tried to run into melee.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

got to that bit of chapter 3 and I'm just stunned that Yrliet's the one mandatory companion for the sequence who then can't actually do anything in fights because she can't use any of the found equipment unless you're either cheesing it or used a talent.

I'm actually trying to remember how I got around this. I think I found her after getting my gear back or something.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Runa posted:

one must imagine sisyphus happy

Sisyphus's punishment is not the boulder, or the mountain. Indeed, he throws himself into his work, for he has been promised by the Gods that if he succeeds just once he will be returned to life.

Sisyphus's punishment is hope.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magni posted:

Check Jae's willpower stat. Then realise you could have done that for any one companion.

I didnt 'do' anything to Jae, she vanished and reappeared without any intervention from me

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can't figure out how to use Operatives properly and am considering using Toybox to forcibly turn Pasqal into a Warrior. How horrible an idea is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I can't figure out how to use Operatives properly and am considering using Toybox to forcibly turn Pasqal into a Warrior. How horrible an idea is this?

As far as I can see you don't. It's a bright spot of Indra being dead is I can't have 3 of the fucks in my party anymore.