Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite MMA story of 2023?
This poll is closed.
The fall of Valentina Shevchenko 3 7.14%
Tom Aspinall's comeback 1 2.38%
Francis Ngannou floors Tyson Fury 34 80.95%
actually boy that one was really great 1 2.38%
honestly you should probably vote for that one 1 2.38%
why are you still reading this 2 4.76%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I'm fine with Page in the UFC, but I want him to fight guys on that Kevin Holland tier for a bit before he sniffs a proper contendership fight. Treat him as an entertaining gatekeeper.

Hes probably like 3 or 4 years late coming across to make a real run. He's almost 37 as it is.

Unless he tears through some guys like peirera does I doubt he'll do much.

Could be some fun match ups if they play it right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Why isn't Colby proving himself to be dogshit on the world's stage in the poll

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

curious to see how long before they politely ask Sean Strickland to stop calling people the hard got 50 times a presser. kind of amazed Disney hasn't said anything about it. I'm generally all for saying whatever. but I can't believe they are just letting that happen constantly lol. cannot imagine that happening with the n-word or any racial slur.

the hard got?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

GSP threw that brick far.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
guessing that’s “f-ggot”

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

guessing that’s “f-ggot”

Yeah its this he used it like 5 times when referring to Dricus alone.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

guessing that’s “f-ggot”

yeah this one. just kinda strange to hear in a press conference. i mean of course just saying the word pales in comparison to any number of people and places the UFC is either tacitly or openly supporting. but. to repeat: it's just strange to hear at a press conference for a major sport

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the ufc's a money laundering ring for fashes so it doesn't really surprise me, but it is mightily disappointing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

guessing that’s “f-ggot”

yeah this one. just kinda strange to hear in a press conference. i mean of course just saying the word pales in comparison to any number of people and places the UFC is either tacitly or openly supporting. but. to repeat: it's just strange to hear at a press conference for a major sport

:dogstare:

oh okay, never heard it described that way before. I recall a night a few months ago where 2 or 3 fighters said it in their post fight speeches in front of dc and he correctly ripped away the mic, I guess its fine if youre strickland dropping that word in 2023...

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The guy is a mirror reflection of UFC's fan base (in his views and behavior). They know who they're promoting and why. He's like a power fantasy for ignorant pieces of poo poo.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheKingslayer posted:

a power fantasy for ignorant pieces of poo poo.
Bank this for January

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Bank this for January

this thread does it again

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

The guy is a mirror reflection of UFC's fan base (in his views and behavior). They know who they're promoting and why. He's like a power fantasy for ignorant pieces of poo poo.

My kickboxing gym recently did an end of year sparring event and one guy wore like a three wolf moon Strickland shirt and a different guy told me he liked Strickland because of the funny stuff he said. It was pretty grim and took me by surprise.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

GSP threw that brick far.

"ehhhhh dey've got dis allosaurus exhibet at de drumheller, you should come"

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

anybody have that conan/gsp video handy? im hankering to see it again

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/12/18/colby-covington-is-ufc-biggest-loser/

Jonathan Snowden posted:

The problem with Covington is that you can see the doubt written on his face. It’s a part that requires confidence if nothing else—and the eyes don’t lie. This dude is constantly shook, afraid he’s going to get his lines wrong, afraid he’s going to get his rear end beat at a Miami steak house, afraid he’s going to die alone.

Jaysus

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Unperson_47 posted:

https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/12/18/colby-covington-is-ufc-biggest-loser/

Jonathan Snowden posted:

The problem with Covington is that you can see the doubt written on his face. It’s a part that requires confidence if nothing else—and the eyes don’t lie. This dude is constantly shook, afraid he’s going to get his lines wrong, afraid he’s going to get his rear end beat at a Miami steak house, afraid he’s going to die alone.
Jaysus

:drat:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Eat This Glob posted:

anybody have that conan/gsp video handy? im hankering to see it again

Don't know how to quote a locked thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031023&pagenumber=3&perpage=40&userid=0#post531682737

https://streamable.com/zh80cp

Preceded by this amazing post by beep by grandpa:

quote:

Are you guys trying to find the gsp Conan vid cause I think i favorited that and I back up all of my youtube favs but right now I'm quite drunk at my gf's and will post it when I get home tmrw bc i love you all and want you to be happy ok goodnight :)

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 19, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

ilmucche posted:

Don't know how to quote a locked thread

What happens when you press quote?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I get a loading failed error on the app

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Oh yeah the apps are different, works on desktop though :shrug:. (Though I think it didn't up until a year or two ago)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i downloaded that poo poo lol give me a sec

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://streamable.com/5lg7n3

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

lmao ty everyone

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eat This Glob posted:

lmao ty everyone

I lol every time.

similarly good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXSQ33LL7Q

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Thank you. I was very disappointed the last time I searched YouTube for this and couldn’t find it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I wish my local liquor stores were shelved in such a way that I could knock over an entire stock of Proper Twelve as a plausible accident.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fwiw the UFC does brief their fighters on stuff not to say and not to curse etc but Strickland is mad as a cut snake and he's going to do it anyway.

Dana undoubtedly doesn't care but he's motivated by money as much as anything so it would take the big wigs stepping in to stop it and realistically if they're making money the big wigs probably don't give a poo poo either.

Who knows maybe Strickland will have some kind of awakening or get his head punched in by Duplasse and he'll go away for a while.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh good we can trade our locally-grown organic bigot for one that’s factory-farmed

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Oh good we can trade our locally-grown organic bigot for one that’s factory-farmed

Dana White's Power Plant

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

FishBowlRobot posted:

Thank you. I was very disappointed the last time I searched YouTube for this and couldn’t find it.

found it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I know the 2 African fighters living in America and the third living in NZ who held or were holding belts got angry with him when he said he wanted to be the first "true" African champion but has he actually said or done anything I missed that puts him up there with Strickland?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thugnasty put up a video thanking Josh Emmett for not following up and hitting him when he was KO'd.

That was a nice video to send.

Reminds me of BJ Penn lovingly embracing Matt hughes on a motorcycle. Who was in turn lovingly embraced by a train.

Post your favourite nice moments between fight mans.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Thanks!

Pro click for anyone else who wants to save the GSP/Conan video to a playlist.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Mike Perry having body punching competitions with Eddie and Ben Rothwell is strangely wholesome, in a Mike Perry kind of way.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

google isn't being helpful, but chris leben left a nice (but poorly written) note for mark muñoz alongside a chocolate bar and a crudely drawn penis at his hotel after their fight back in the day

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

google isn't being helpful, but chris leben left a nice (but poorly written) note for mark muñoz alongside a chocolate bar and a crudely drawn penis at his hotel after their fight back in the day

I do remember that I wanna say it was a fruit and nut flavour which made me think. 'Gross'.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

BlindSite posted:

Thugnasty put up a video thanking Josh Emmett for not following up and hitting him when he was KO'd.

That was a nice video to send.

Reminds me of BJ Penn lovingly embracing Matt hughes on a motorcycle. Who was in turn lovingly embraced by a train.

I liked when Yves Edwards would bring snacks to share at weigh ins with his opponents

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

No one is better than Sean O'Connell when it comes to being a nice fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I'm not sure how I feel about a fighter sincerely thanking his opponent for not killing him. When he's back on his homestead building a barn 3 days later.

Kind of feels like the gladiatorial combat has somehow become more Roman than it used to be.