Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

thin blue whine posted:

i tried re-watching the whole series a few weeks ago after not having watched any X-Files in probably 15 years, but after a couple episode i realized i just wanted to jump around and watch single episodes so i've been doing that. i forgot how good some of the MotW episodes are but Bad Blood. i liked Bad Blood a lot more on a re-re-watch.

Yeah there are quite a few nothing eps, especially early on that there aren’t any really good reasons to watch except for completionist purposes. Like early Simpsons having clip shows, can watch if you want but why?

lol just remembered a Lone Gunman episode where they have a working car engine that runs off water instead of gasoline but they don’t release it as they somehow think it will be worse for the environment. Never mind that such a device would easily mean safe & free infinite heat, power, etc as well as taking a lot of power from some of the worst autocracies, and make blood for oil wars obsolete. But no, this will clearly result in more roads so Lone Gunmen are vetoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah there are quite a few nothing eps, especially early on that there aren’t any really good reasons to watch except for completionist purposes. Like early Simpsons having clip shows, can watch if you want but why?

lol just remembered a Lone Gunman episode where they have a working car engine that runs off water instead of gasoline but they don’t release it as they somehow think it will be worse for the environment. Never mind that such a device would easily mean safe & free infinite heat, power, etc as well as taking a lot of power from some of the worst autocracies, and make blood for oil wars obsolete. But no, this will clearly result in more roads so Lone Gunmen are vetoing.

The rationale is it would be bad because so many people would be making these engines the resource drain would outstrip the benefits.

It's possibly the dumbest conclusion in TV history.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I don’t remember the episode well enough to know if this was addressed but water isn’t an infinite resource, especially if it has to run on fresh water. Im on team Gunmen for this one.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I don’t remember the episode well enough to know if this was addressed but water isn’t an infinite resource, especially if it has to run on fresh water. Im on team Gunmen for this one.

Fresh water is a shitload easier to make than gasoline

The only way it makes sense is if the manufacture of the engine is somehow REALLY bad for the environment

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Love the files. Love this loving reaction Mulder has as soon as this lady mentions aliens:

https://i.imgur.com/vgx63IH.mp4

and moments later when she starts listing alien stuff:

https://i.imgur.com/vJua2QY.mp4

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
"In the United States, on average, 1.5 gallons (5.7 liters) of water are consumed for every gallon of oil refined"
https://escholarship.org/uc/item/5pr6r5h6#main
Water and Energy Interactions, James E. McMahon and Sarah K., (2011) Price Energy Analysis and Environmental Impacts Department Environmental Energy Technologies Division Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Berkeley.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Bad Blood is one of the best episodes, hence my custom title.

Also Doug Hutchinson hit on me at the X-Files convention in 1998 when I was 18 (yes this has been my personality for a long time) so yes he's 100% creeper.

Fun fact : we get the term "ship" from X-Files message boards in the 90s from people who wanted Miller and Scully to be together. I was a "no-romo" because I thought they should be platonic soul mates.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Saganlives posted:

Love the files. Love this loving reaction Mulder has as soon as this lady mentions aliens:

https://i.imgur.com/vgx63IH.mp4

and moments later when she starts listing alien stuff:

https://i.imgur.com/vJua2QY.mp4

Bambi???

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I forgot that was her name lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Did...did the cigarette smoking man shoot her mother.

:ohdear:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bonzo posted:

I'm re-watching 80s Twilight Zone and the first half of season 1 is good but then it falls into heavy boomer themed episodes. One stars a very young Scott Grimes and it about a woman that choose a career over having kids. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy_Lost_(The_Twilight_Zone)

There was also the late 90s revival of the Outer Limits, which I remember being REALLY into. I think there was a point pretty early on where the X-Files was busy jumping up its own rear end and our sci-fi fan crew in high school just collectively agreed that Outer Limits was by then the superior show.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

There was also the late 90s revival of the Outer Limits, which I remember being REALLY into. I think there was a point pretty early on where the X-Files was busy jumping up its own rear end and our sci-fi fan crew in high school just collectively agreed that Outer Limits was by then the superior show.

Outer limits starts around Season 3 of X-Files, just where the myth arc starts to get spotty- but at the peak of overall quality.
It goes on to 2002, and if it was good around season 6 (When the X-Files was showing it's whole rear end) in 99 then I can definitely see this!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I saw this in theaters and I own the Blu-ray. Makes a great Wes Craven double-feature with The People Under the Stairs (of which I also saw in theaters and own the Blu-ray) :frogbon:

I loved People when I randomly saw it a few years back. Feels like I was the only one who did.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"If These Walls Could Talk" remains one of the best little known setups for a horror story that I know of.

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

i'd like scully to explain this

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

mulder met a fitness instructor who's x-file is that she has tooms like flexibility

he died shortly after this was taken.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

i'd like scully to explain this

Look at that pig's huge ball

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Truth is out there

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SRQ posted:

mulder met a fitness instructor who's x-file is that she has tooms like flexibility

he died shortly after this was taken.

Of dehydration?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Shageletic posted:

I loved People when I randomly saw it a few years back. Feels like I was the only one who did.

childhood favorite of mine. crazy that the starring couple also plays a couple in Twin Peaks

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

maybeadracula posted:

The mytharc episodes feel the weakest NOW

But the show wasn't made for now. Those were the most exciting by far at the time

If they're all stand-alone you can miss one, but you had to watch in case CSM CGB was going to show up

I didn’t like the multi episode aliens arc of xfiles and always wished they made all random monsters. This is not nostalgia because I haven’t watched xfiles in decades.

To be fair I felt very alone in this opinion.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
https://www.cbr.com/x-files-reboot-ryan-coogler-update/

Apparently Ryan Coogler, director of Black Panther, is rebooting X-Files on Disney+. I credit this thread

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Assuming it would be set in modern times, what is the 2020's equivalent of casual business suits with giant shoulder pads?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How do you do a conspiracy show when the only conspiracies people care about is racism

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shageletic posted:

How do you do a conspiracy show when the only conspiracies people care about is racism

Probably ends up in horrible the racism is just a cover territory given the zeitgeist’s near endless appetite to cover up for and defend racists.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Some of the 'pre-X Files' series might be worth a revisit.

Doomwatch was a UK show from the 70s. Here is a plot synopsis of one episode

"Doomwatch hears that in south Wales, tough ex-miners have taken to drinking gin instead of their usual beer, and are unresponsive to their wives' sexual advances, instead preferring to attend secret cock-fighting tournaments. After Quist is asked by the minister to look into the situation, as it is happening within his constituency, he and his team trace the cause to the local fish farm, which is using a special chemical to dissolve the bones in the fish. Unfortunately, this has led to the workforce becoming sterile..."

I can't remember how accurate this is as a description, but it sounds close. I don't think it was 'just' sterility either, but sort of actually chemically castrating people.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Episode one: The Lakeville murders.
Scene 1 - Int: Skinners office - day.

Mulder: After looking through weeks of looking through all the evidence in Lakeville murders, their wounds, the locations the bodies were found, the weird chemicals found in their blood stream, it was obviously to Skully and I it was the work of lizard people covering up their global pedophile ring, we must arrest Hunter Biden immediately.

Skully: Mulder I've repeatedly told you, your ideas are insane and sad and very, very stupid, please stop trying to bring me into this.

Mulder
: Skully you just need to believe. See the Truth!

Skinner: Yeah, I've had enough this Mulder, your fired. God I hope I never have to see you again.

Mulder: You're both part of this, Hilirary pedophile jewish lizard people!!!! Vote Trump 2024!!!! Only He knows the Truth!

Scene 2 - int: Mulder's mothers basement - night

Mulder starts his laptop, opens 4 chan and makes a new post - " you won't belive the day I've had so my former co-workers have been toltally been brainwashed by the mainstream media clinton/lizards, and now i'm fired, and worst today had me so busy Ihaven't even had time to look at the new Q drop"

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 19, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's ironic.

Scully's skepticism in the face of unrelenting weirdness is the most unexplainable aspect of the show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maybeadracula posted:

Look at that pig's huge ball

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

redshirt posted:

It's ironic.

Scully's skepticism in the face of unrelenting weirdness is the most unexplainable aspect of the show.

Scully's skepticism and also insanely Catholic when the story demands. Meanwhile mulder has no time for that weird poo poo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Scully's skepticism and also insanely Catholic when the story demands. Meanwhile mulder has no time for that weird poo poo

Scully's Alien Baby

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cornwind Evil posted:

"If These Walls Could Talk" remains one of the best little known setups for a horror story that I know of.

drat, sure looks like it from the synopsis. Weirdly enough I don't remember the episode at all, but then again it has been 28 years since I saw it. I wonder if Outer Limits is available for streaming anywhere (anywhere reasonable, I mean, I'm not gonna start paying for Paramount+ or something) or if I should just pirate it? In any case I want to see it again.

E: Doesn't look like it's available legally in Finland.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
On rewatch and actually finishing the show this time I was surprised to see that despite popular consensus they do a lot to wrap things up and more or less explain everything that's going on... And then Fox gave them a renewal. So you get Duchovny's stand in running around the desert and only being seen from a distance because he agreed to be in like 5 episodes a season.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I really liked that dynamic. I don't think Mulder ever criticized or objected to it the same way Scully did the standard paranormal stuff but it was clear what he thought of the religious side of things.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The Finn posted:

https://www.cbr.com/x-files-reboot-ryan-coogler-update/

Apparently Ryan Coogler, director of Black Panther, is rebooting X-Files on Disney+. I credit this thread

What a terrible loving idea!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

What a terrible loving idea!

Welcome to 2024

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"Listen, we're really desperate here... Can we tie X-Files into the MCU and have them discover the existence of mutants?"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JediTalentAgent posted:

"Listen, we're really desperate here... Can we tie X-Files into the MCU and have them discover the existence of mutants?"

Can't wait for the show to revolve around the whereabouts of Mulder or whatever in the lead-up to a 7 part spin-off series.

I'm not opposed to Disney+ or whatever, but I don't subscribe anymore because I can only watch Gravity Falls (any X-Files fans, especially those with older pre-teens, should see that if they havent) and classic Simpsons so much, and the panning/scanning on X-Files episodes irritated me.

I just think X-Files is such a show of and about its time, that I can't see a remake working well. There's been societal sea-changes that mean that the options are a tone-deaf straight reboot, or a totally different show. And if we're seeing new agents, good loving luck finding the chemistry of Mulder and Scully!

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 19, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mulder is a logger living and working under an assumed identity in the same place as dexter. Also there's also every other sort of miscreant there, from mob bosses to bank robbers, but mulder's too distracted hunting for bigfoot and aliens to notice all the potentially ripe arrests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

I really liked that dynamic. I don't think Mulder ever criticized or objected to it the same way Scully did the standard paranormal stuff but it was clear what he thought of the religious side of things.

Yeah they basically flip the dynamic around whenever there's a religious episode. Mulder becomes the skeptic and Scully is totally ready to believe that the devil is here or an angel or whatever crazy poo poo. Aliens though? Scully ain't down for that.