Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"The Fume Knight runback was nothing, maybe that was just a one-off thing"

*touches now glowing armor*

"Oh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Epic High Five posted:

"Oh"

there was at least one boss where i legitimately did not kill them until i cleared the run

absolutely worth it though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Epic High Five posted:

"Oh"

Why is the runback so awful for a boss so incredibly cool....

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Epic High Five posted:

Oh my GOD that runback to the blue smelter demon is a crime against humanity. Easily the worst I've ever experienced in any game and I do not believe it could even theoretically be made worse. Pushing the bounds of the genre here. If I couldn't have eventually just killed them all so they stopped respawning this fight would've taken me days.

The fight itself, though, was incredible. What a goddamn duel that was, extremely tough but very fair
Not sure about Sunken King, but the other two DLC have areas specifically for co-op without telling you and that's one of them. The one in Ivory King is much worse! The only area I had to give up on since I was playing offline and it was too hard.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As long as I can kill things in there so much they stop spawning, the runback is of no concern, but this time around I'm definitely clearing it out BEFORE I cross the fog wall. I'm long past the point of levels making any difference but I guess I can aspire to 999 lightning resin

snoremac posted:

Not sure about Sunken King, but the other two DLC have areas specifically for co-op without telling you and that's one of them. The one in Ivory King is much worse! The only area I had to give up on since I was playing offline and it was too hard.

Sunken was the gank squad, it was pretty awful but ultimately more about doing a delicate dance of pancaking and running while keeping the bow guy from LOS. Runback was super easy too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
because the "Wrapped" gimmicks are coming out now I wanted to fulfill a year-long goal of mine and go through all of the games that I played through this year and leave a short remark about them.

___

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I completed the story campaign, which I'm very proud of because it's one of the times when I can confidently say I "finished" a game.

Panzer Campaigns: Kiev '43 - I completed a long scenario in parallel with a book about the Soviet reconquest of the Ukraine. It's one of the better Panzer Campaign games to get into because it's set at a time when the Soviets are gaining significant material and quality advantages over the Axis, but they're not yet complete pushovers either.

War Thunder - I played this in parallel with reading about WW2 fighter tactics and I walked away from it having proven that the tactics can be expressed and can work inside the game in a way that gives you a qualitative advantage.

Second Front - I only got about two scenarios into this, but it's a near 1-to-1 adaptation of Advanced Squad Leader as a video game and that's an incredible feat.

City of Gangsters - there's been a number of crime-as-a-tycoon-simulator games but this one is the first one that really clicked with me.

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - I did a full run of the story campaign this year and it's still so drat good.

Diablo 2 Resurrected - I basically bought a Switch just to play this and it's still a great time-waster when I can't decide what to play.

Pharaoh: A New Era - this is still a fantastic city builder; the best of the Impressions Games series, and it's such a gift to gaming that they made an updated version of it. [Special mention: Caesar 3 has a fan-made mod called Augustus that basically elevates it to HD remake status]

Vampire Survivors - the platonic ideal of number-go-up action RPG and the best "loading" game of its kind.

Rail Empire - this is the spiritual successor to Railroad Tycoon 2 and I'm stunned it doesn't get more word-of-mouth.

Civilization 6 - I don't always agree with Civ 6's design decisions but the mere ability to play Civilization on a console, and especially on a Switch, is an incredible achievement. I've lost whole afternoons doing the "one more turn" addiction but without having to sit at my desk.

Deliver Us Mars - a game that I finished from top-to-bottom. Not as good as Deliver Us The Moon, but a competent sequel.

Civilization 4 - I played this when my desktop went down for repairs and I had a broken arm and could only drive a mouse and ended up just straight playing it for its own sake long after the desktop was fixed. Still the best Civ in the series.

Grid Legends - I've played a number of racing games, but this one manages to integrate a single-player campaign into itself with a strong plot. Very unique in that regard.

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - I didn't play this as much as I really should have but I recognize the sheer innovation it brings.

Elden Ring - I played this just enough to beat one boss but that feeling by itself was so exhilirating that I was terrified of playing more lest I pollute my warm feelings for this game.

Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition - I watched a lot of AOE 2 tournament videos while doing physical therapy for my broken arm and I eventually absorbed so much information that I got good enough to beat two single-player campaigns with no cheats or mods. I'd consider that an accomplishment. It's probably one of the best RTS-es on the market right now, with completely modernized graphics and UI.

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint - I played this heavily for like two weeks trying to make a dent into the single-player campaign but looking back on it now I honestly couldn't tell you anything particularly nice about it. It got completely overshadowed by the Sniper Elite series, which does the same things Ghost Recon sort of lets you do, but is far more rewarding when doing it.

Age of Empires 4 - I played this because I had it and figured it was probably close enough to AOE 2 that I could sort of muddle through without getting too deep into the nitty-gritty, and I was mostly right. If anything, knowing a lot about AOE 2 probably detracted from the experience a bit because I kept thinking about how it was different when I should've just been enjoying this game for its own sake. It's good, and it deserves more of my attention all by itself sans the comparisons.

Civil War Campaigns - Antietam - I had just read a book about the Second Battle of Bull Run and played this to re-fight that battle. I won handily as the Union. Loved it.

Remnant 2 - the first Souls-like I played that didn't terrify me with both implied and actual difficulty. A Borderlands-like that didn't irritate me with bad design decisions and a setting that I didn't like.

Sniper Elite 3 - I completed this game from top to bottom. It's a fun ride through North Africa that's just long enough to stay interesting.

Sniper Elite 4 and Sniper Elite 5 - either of these are really the better games compared to 3, because their graphics are new enough to not be noticeably dated, and the maps are large enough to really let you play sniper and approach objectives from however you like. If anything, the missions are so sprawling that I didn't get to finish them all the way, but I definitely enjoyed my time with these.

Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic - my personal Game of the Year. It completely changes the way you'll look at city-builders, or even strategy games in general, once you grasp the strict materialism that the game is built upon. It will teach you concepts of industrialization, labor theory of value, transportation, slack-vs-efficiency, the primacy of a planned economy, and about political economy in general.

Starfield - my runner-up for Game of the Year. I know that the reception on this game has been rather cold, but I credit it with having let me discover more of myself in the process of playing it. Having never seriously engaged with a Bethesda-type open-world game before this year, the process of learning how to throw yourself into the roleplaying was eye-opening, and I approach RPGs entirely different now as a result. I guess, sort of like with Workers & Resources, I like these games not merely on the merits of the games themselves, but what they taught me about myself and the world.

Fallout 4 / Fallout New Vegas / The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim / The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - I played these off-and-on and bit-by-bit as a follow-up to Starfield because I'd avoided them before from not really seeing the appeal of those games, right up until Starfield changed my mind. I don't consider myself done with any of these games by any stretch of the imagination, but I wanted to mention that I'm learning and growing. FO4 is probably my favorite so far from what I've seen - just the pack-rat aspect of the game really clicks with me.

Subnautica - I asked the Games thread for a recommendation about a game that was like FO4's settlement building, and this came up, and I loved it. It's the first real survival-slash-Minecraft-like game that I really connected with, and it helps that I'm also a diver in my own right in the real world and could relate.

Two Point Hospital - I struggled to like this game when I first tried to play it last year, but as a testament to Workers & Resources mindset I was able to polish off level after level once I'd applied the notion of excess capacity over efficiency. I only stopped because I got in trouble with the wife for actually having played it too much.

Unity of Command II - yet another game I played because I was reading a book in parallel with it, this time about the Eastern Front. I didn't care too much about the original Western Front setting of the base game, but the Soviet DLCs are top-notch. This still remains a fantastic and very accessible game about World War 2 Operational Warfare.

Snowrunner - after two solid weeks of 12-hour days where I never got to play anything except the occasional Vampire Surivors in-between meetings, I picked this back up while holed up in a cabin with my Switch. I was instantly hooked again, and especially after carrying-over relevant experiences from everything I've played before where you embrace the open-world nature of the game and combine it with the different truck types to form a sort of The Lost Vikings vibe where you deploy a task force of specialized trucks to perform operations, rather than as singular vehicles roaming the map.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al! posted:

anor londo has everything: a really annoying part with a long runback, one of the coolest bossfights in the entire series, and a totally optional area you can go into and do something objectively evil

wtf is evil about killing that little gremlin

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

Elden Ring - I played this just enough to beat one boss but that feeling by itself was so exhilirating that I was terrified of playing more lest I pollute my warm feelings for this game.

what the gently caress

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh no this thing rules, maybe the rest won't be as awesome!?!?!?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Two Point Hospital and Campus are really good. Not every map or DLC is great but the core concept is really really neat.

I wish they had retained just a bit more of the satire from Theme Hospital but I get why they won't step on any toes when they're already a niche genre looking for an audience.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was terrified of playing more lest I pollute my warm feelings for this game.

goons have done it again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
see, I never got past the very first boss of Dark Souls 3, and I've never even gotten to a boss in Mortal Shell, so my feeling was like "wow, I beat a boss, better quit while I'm ahead because if I get frustrated in dying over and over to anything else I'll just get soured on the game!"

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

gradenko_2000 posted:

see, I never got past the very first boss of Dark Souls 3, and I've never even gotten to a boss in Mortal Shell, so my feeling was like "wow, I beat a boss, better quit while I'm ahead because if I get frustrated in dying over and over to anything else I'll just get soured on the game!"
was your first ER "boss" the soldier in the tutorial pit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

was your first ER "boss" the soldier in the tutorial pit

no it was the Beastman of Farum Azula

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

gradenko_2000 posted:

DS3 is hard as poo poo compared to ER (especially for newcomers) and also super linear so i wouldn't worry about it, just go explore wherever at your own pace and eventually you can just out-level most things anyways

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

he is hard at the very beginning, if you stomped him you did gud ER is nice coz if you hit a roadblock boss somewhere you just go find another one elsewhere

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

beastman's actually a bit of a bastard

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
elden ring is basically just snowrunner

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Cuttlefush posted:

elden ring is basically just snowrunner
I will never be tricked into truck game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I think I'm done with Rogue Trader. Not only the fights ramp up the bullshit by an order of magnitude, but by act 3 the bugs really start piling on. Like someone else said, I'm gonna wait a couple of months until they fix it. Probably also restart with some better builds.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint - I played this heavily for like two weeks trying to make a dent into the single-player campaign but looking back on it now I honestly couldn't tell you anything particularly nice about it. It got completely overshadowed by the Sniper Elite series, which does the same things Ghost Recon sort of lets you do, but is far more rewarding when doing it.

The modern era Ghost Recons are incredibly frustrating, because Wildlands has the better map, but Breakpoint has the better gameplay (once they had removed the stupid mmo systems). Breakpoints map is absolutely stale and lifeless.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I like anor londo because the dimensions of all the rooms and walkways make it feel like you're running around a dead mmorpg

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

I think I'm done with Rogue Trader. Not only the fights ramp up the bullshit by an order of magnitude, but by act 3 the bugs really start piling on. Like someone else said, I'm gonna wait a couple of months until they fix it. Probably also restart with some better builds.

I have the kind of brain that demands I make builds for characters I barely care about playing and its taking a great deal of willpower to not buy it now. The fact that several talents literally do nothing at the moment is whats giving me the strength

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1736988258419269662

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

:smith: same

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Nix Panicus posted:

I have the kind of brain that demands I make builds for characters I barely care about playing and its taking a great deal of willpower to not buy it now. The fact that several talents literally do nothing at the moment is whats giving me the strength

I'm also very into this part, but as it is right now literally half of the game is unfinished. And from what I read on the steam forums past the point where I stopped - it only gets worse.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

This is why Death Stranding has an essential "take a nap" mechanic

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm enjoying Rogue Trader a lot, but I have a lot of patience with crpg jank. I was forged in the fires of classical jank.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Fume Knight....INCREDIBLE.

These last two fights have just been insanely good, I see why people say the DLC makes the slog of a start worth it

Hell Yeah

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Epic High Five posted:

Fume Knight....INCREDIBLE.

These last two fights have just been insanely good, I see why people say the DLC makes the slog of a start worth it

love the fume knight. possibly the best boss in the game, though the coolest is in the third DLC. did you have 4 stakes when you got down there or did you have to keep one of the healing totems up?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i'm having a contest this december to see who can finish the most mario games with my retro game club, mario tennis is a bear to master the controls over. loving grass courts

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

love the fume knight. possibly the best boss in the game, though the coolest is in the third DLC. did you have 4 stakes when you got down there or did you have to keep one of the healing totems up?

imo fume knight is the difficulty test of Souls games. if you can beat that one, you're ready to take on anything else they have to throw at you (in that franchise at least)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i'm having a contest this december to see who can finish the most mario games with my retro game club, mario tennis is a bear to master the controls over. loving grass courts

mario tennis would take forever. what i'd do is smb, all of the edutainment titles, mario paint etc. there's a really good mario(?) themed picross game for the snes too

does completing ports to other systems count? would you have to beat all of super mario all stars or would that count as one game?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

how do you "beat" mario paint, would it just be the flyswatter minigame

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm enjoying Rogue Trader a lot, but I have a lot of patience with crpg jank. I was forged in the fires of classical jank.

Ordinarily same, but I have so many other good games to stare at and not play as ADHD executive paralysis takes over

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

the credits roll when you do

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
anything older than 10 years and is a "Mario Title" counts, some games count for bonus points because they were on our list of submitted games (we had like 4 or 5 Mario games on the list of games people had submitted to play as like a game of the month so we decided to kind of do them all at once). So so far I've played SMRPG, all of All-Stars, and SM64. It was slow going at first but as we enter the second half of the month it's starting to tighten up and get competitive.

another question for the thread: is All-Stars the first "Remaster" game? with like updated skins and features for an existing older game? It's the first one I can think of.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

this is what we agreed on, yeah lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

anything older than 10 years and is a "Mario Title" counts, some games count for bonus points because they were on our list of submitted games (we had like 4 or 5 Mario games on the list of games people had submitted to play as like a game of the month so we decided to kind of do them all at once). So so far I've played SMRPG, all of All-Stars, and SM64. It was slow going at first but as we enter the second half of the month it's starting to tighten up and get competitive.

another question for the thread: is All-Stars the first "Remaster" game? with like updated skins and features for an existing older game? It's the first one I can think of.

It seemed like a really novel and cool idea when it came out IIRC so yeah probably

Mario 2 (Lost Levels) was the first expansion pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
that's a very complicated question. is tetris a remaster?