Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

1 gbps is enough for your home you nerds

if you “need” 10 gig just run 10gbase-t so you at least your house will look normal with normal ethernet jacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

this is the networking thread yall. we're out here trying to find ways to budget our way to 40GBASE-SR switches in 500 square foot apartments just to say we can

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the labor for fishing a replacement line through conduit between two buildings is greater than the cost of just getting the good fiber+transceivers anyway

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

an underground point-to-point link between buildings is an acceptable residential usage of fiber

wiring up every outlet in the house with fiber is not

reminds me of some obvious grift my school district growing up contributed to in the late 90s/early 2000s, they wired all the classrooms with multimode fiber because "fiber is the future"

the fiber was never used

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
brb, gotta do a fibre drop into the outhouse

Dec 26, 2023

Silver Alicorn posted:

had 2 cups this am. do I want an afternoon cup?

so i guess this explains the .04% inclusion rate

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

1 gbps is enough for your home you nerds

if you “need” 10 gig just run 10gbase-t so you at least your house will look normal with normal ethernet jacks

go out of this thread pls and ty

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao if you don't have a matrix style port in your brain stem

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

twinax and 10gbase-cx or gtfo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have copper 10g to 2x ports per room.

i don't know why i'd run fiber since all the runs are under 30m

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
word
on the street is that fibre is good for your bowels

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tim, where is the 10gbit appletv

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

go out of this thread pls and ty

hey man, im not the one wanting to compensate for something with 10 gbps fiber at home itt

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

i have copper 10g to 2x ports per room.

i don't know why i'd run fiber since all the runs are under 30m

you can even do 10 gbps over copper up to 100m with CAT 6a

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I only got a 10gb fiber switch but all my nics are connect-4 25Gbs since they are backwards compatible and only cost $55 US on ebay, going to connect my laptop directly to my nas
also got an xgs-pon sfp so my 3Gb fibre goes directly into my switch and looks super clean

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hey man, im not the one wanting to compensate for something with 10 gbps fiber at home itt

what

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i am advocating 10G copper

twinax 4 lyfe

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
10G coax imo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Truga posted:

10G coax imo

but an arm thick bundle of rg6's each carrying 100mbps, aggregated at the end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how fast can you transmit data over 50kV transmission power lines

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

post your 1.6tbit rigs

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

but an arm thick bundle of rg6's each carrying 100mbps, aggregated at the end

you joke, but my home gbit internet is a single rg6, and allegedly i'm getting 10gbit capability by summer (so realistically mid-2026 :v:)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im our resident ham radio guru, i wasnt joking at all, lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

HPE is buying juniper lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

specifically because they wanted the completely non functional AI garbage

mist is real neat and slowly reaching functional baseline feature parity with meraki while having much better deep dive configuration control. the marvis AI has been a dumpster fire on the scale of operation iraqi freedom burn pits since launch and hasn't improved an iota

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

marvis, make me a mint mulep

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

that’s what she said

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

reminds me of some obvious grift my school district growing up contributed to in the late 90s/early 2000s, they wired all the classrooms with multimode fiber because "fiber is the future"

the fiber was never used

it's not the future, yet, duh!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

hope: throw the four different legacy hpe switch platforms thrown out
reality: legacy networking leadership takes over juniper, shoves chatgpt ios interface on top of junos

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I did some certs on the Juniper website once when I was a sales engineer and they sent me 10cm Perspex cube that said NETWORKING EXPERT on it. it was great to annoy the actual engineers with by putting it on the table during meetings etc.

that’s my Juniper story.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

in a well actually posted:

hope: throw the four different legacy hpe switch platforms thrown out
reality: legacy networking leadership takes over juniper, shoves chatgpt ios interface on top of junos

lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I did some certs on the Juniper website once when I was a sales engineer and they sent me 10cm Perspex cube that said NETWORKING EXPERT on it. it was great to annoy the actual engineers with by putting it on the table during meetings etc.

that’s my Juniper story.

pics

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I don't have it any more, it was this sort of thing but square:

But instead of the JNCIE which was actually hard it was a bunch of datasheet certs with questions like "How many 40Gbps ports does the M320 support" which you could just google.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my upcoming job is a full juniper shop in the middle of converting a half dozen campuses to mist (hilariously with the assistance of my current/soon to be former employer)

real glad I'm not in the networking team for this one lmao

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I’m sure you won’t be ..…. mist

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:rimshot:

in actuality all my coworkers are panicking because I'm the only datacenter expert on the team but upper management doesn't give a poo poo about that because it hasn't bitten them in the rear end yet. 9 more work days and I'm gone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:xd:

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
my dev shop is all juniper, more than 10,000 ports worth, and multiple labs that size

this is gonna suck, isnt it.

i need to buy the network architect a bottle of something nice i think. hes gonna be real unhappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

over the past few years I converted from a cisco person to a juniper person

I really do not want to have to convert again. junos is just crisp. that golden action is so crunchy