Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Faracapes only availability for years was DVD sets of not that many episodes that were like $100, it's not a surprise it generally is not cared about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
Farscape's a real treasure, had great fun going through it a few years back.

As for the first season, I thought Crais was kinda bland, didn't really rate him at the time. Certainly early Scorpius blows him out of the water. But in later seasons when he sticks around and bonds with Talyn, he has quite a neat overall arc.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I have been slow dripping Farscape over the past few months, in S3 now, it's an incredible show. Full agree with the above post about Crais.

Watched the episode of Disco S3 today that seems to be the soft pilot for the Starfleet Academy show, it was one of the better ones. Adira finally got some time onscreen outside of the romance arc, Book and Culber bonding was nice, oh and then there's the stupid main plot where Michael once again saves the day by proposing a committee, that she alone is uniquely qualified to serve on to mediate the deal. Lmfao come oooonnn. So I'm onboard for an Academy show with Tilly and could care les about the main plot.

It bothers me tremendously how stagnant the Federation of 1000 years in the future is. They could have set the show 200 or 500 or any time at all in the future and it wouldn't matter. Nothing has changed beyond some better UX and transporter tech. It's just uninspired.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Highly arguable.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

my bony fealty posted:

It bothers me tremendously how stagnant the Federation of 1000 years in the future is. They could have set the show 200 or 500 or any time at all in the future and it wouldn't matter. Nothing has changed beyond some better UX and transporter tech. It's just uninspired.

I definitely agree, but I feel like this might be a matter of practicality in the worldbuilding. Star Trek is already supposed to be the shining future, with all the cool tech that we dream of having. The 24th century already has answers to every real-world problem the writers could think of, so where do you go from there? Go too far, and you risk building a setting that's too alien to be readily understandable.

I think that the biggest mistake is putting it in an entirely different millennium, just because seeing a 3 in front of the year instead of a 2 feels so different. Setting something in the 3100s makes it sound like it should be a hyper-futuristic transhuman utopia where everyone's a shapeshifting immortal made out of programmable matter, while the 2900s still feels like it could be tricorders and transporters, but really tiny and convenient.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kesper North posted:

Can we just have more Farscape? I miss Ben Browder acting in things.

He was the best actor in the loving awful Bigfoot movie Hoax.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

8one6 posted:

He was the best actor in the loving awful Bigfoot movie Hoax.

He's been the best actor in so many terrible things! A lot of wasted talent there imo. But we'll always have Farscape, at least until our media overlords can run DRM on our forebrains.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

The Finn posted:

Hoping very much for this again

The next one should be part of a Lower Decks season

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Future Federation just being the 24th century with smaller transporters and smoother ships feels uninspired, but it makes sense in universe.

There seems to be a real limit to how far pure technological advancement can go, in previous series even the groups that have been spacefaring civilisations for thousands of years tend to just have faster ships or bigger space stations or transporters with better ranges. The real jump comes when they get sick of being in a rut and all ascend or some poo poo like that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The programmable matter stuff is a pretty big leap.
.I guess technically that is basically just replicators but better, but the applications like Book's morphing ship were cool

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Most of the applications of programmable matter is just stuff that they did with holograms anyway though.

Was book's morphing ship even programmable matter stuff? It just came apart into segments.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The programmable matter stuff is a pretty big leap.
.I guess technically that is basically just replicators but better, but the applications like Book's morphing ship were cool

Books morphing ship was rubbish. Why did it even have that feature? What advantage did it actually give it in practical terms? Did we ever see what happens to the cockpit when it morphs? I don't think we did.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It didn't even morph it just flew apart and then megazorded back into itself

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Farscape is a pretty interesting funhouse mirror version of Trek. It's the exact opposite in that conflict between the crew is the heart of the show, to the point that when the characters do some growth and deal with their bullshit the writers throw some massive curveballs to shake everything up. But when the crew is in a space crisis they usually pull together and have the same sort of 'what the gently caress? -> planning session -> do the thing' approach of say TNG. Sometimes D'argo gets mad and starts killing people but hey whattya gonna do.

Senor Tron posted:

Future Federation just being the 24th century with smaller transporters and smoother ships feels uninspired, but it makes sense in universe.

There seems to be a real limit to how far pure technological advancement can go, in previous series even the groups that have been spacefaring civilisations for thousands of years tend to just have faster ships or bigger space stations or transporters with better ranges. The real jump comes when they get sick of being in a rut and all ascend or some poo poo like that.

The Voth are the standard bearers here. Millions of years in space and mostly using Bigger Ships. The Koala does not favor them.

It's really for the best, you can't tell much of a story if your tech is so advanced that you might as well be Q; just wave your hand and the problem vanishes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, and 99% of the ancient stations and ships are always powerful but not that much more powerful than what Federation operates, and something that capable crew reverse engineers in matter of hours. We of course know that the writers cannot go too over the top before science turns into magic, but canon-wise there seems to be a stage where everyone gets more or less stuck.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Edit nvm

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

maybeadracula posted:

It didn't even morph it just flew apart and then megazorded back into itself

It felt like they wrote it, expecting to come up with something during Post, then didn't, so yeah they just made it do the above. It should have morphed into a mech, piloted by Grudge.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Grudge should have transformed into the ship itself.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I remember quite a few pages back people were wondering what "TNG" would be in the LD universe.

Well, there's now a canon answer from the newly-published Cerritos handbook: "Those Newer Guys."

And ENT is "Earth's Newbie Travelers."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I remember quite a few pages back people were wondering what "TNG" would be in the LD universe.

Well, there's now a canon answer from the newly-published Cerritos handbook: "Those Newer Guys."

And ENT is "Earth's Newbie Travelers."

It wouldn't surprise me if TNG inside Trek itself literally just stands for The Next Generation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

One hundred years for one generation? Seems very... SPACED out lol

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if TNG inside Trek itself literally just stands for The Next Generation.

That really only makes sense if your starting point is TOS

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

maybeadracula posted:

The dorks in the Lower Decks writers room would find a way to make it work somehow.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
So when does the second season of Prodigy come out?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

maybeadracula posted:

Not even there, really, since there's at least one generation skipped between those eras. (The crew of the -C would be the next generation from the TOS position.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wokow6 posted:

So when does the second season of Prodigy come out?

Early next year, still no firm date.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
TNG? Oh, you mean the Troi 'n Geordi era.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/variety/status/1737249153023885767?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Yeah I bet it was a hard R

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I caught so much poo poo from these threads at the time for saying how much I did not want this movie to happen at all and everything we’ve heard about it since has felt like absolute vindication.

What a terrible idea for a Star Trek script.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CPColin posted:

Yeah I bet it was a hard R

"I wonder why when we play Twain on the Holodeck that there's one word in particular that the Universal Translator doesn't and/or won't translate. They sure used it a lot back then, whatever it was."

(Another fun fact from the Cerritos Handbook: apparently Caitian curse words are so profane that the Universal Translator doesn't bother parsing them, everyone just hears (bleep). I suppose that's another way of saying we're never going to get uncensored media.)

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Yeah that's all real fukkin dumb but it's dumb to begin with to start with the premise of we're going to make an r-rated movie instead of having an actual story worth telling

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really want to read that drat script

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
On the one hand that sounds extremely poo poo for a star trek film but otoh I have liked pretty much everything Tarantino has done and I would love to see how stupid it would get.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Thranguy posted:

Not even there, really, since there's at least one generation skipped between those eras. (The crew of the -C would be the next generation from the TOS position.)

Clearly, TNG stands for The Next Generation following the crew of the Enterprise-C, who are venerated as exemplars of Starfleet values. TNG had big shoes to fill.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

On the one hand that sounds extremely poo poo for a star trek film but otoh I have liked pretty much everything Tarantino has done and I would love to see how stupid it would get.

Yeah, Tarantino should just make a loving sci-fi movie at this point. Dude's already made a western, what's one more schlock genre before he retires?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thranguy posted:

They're counting in Vulcan generations, maybe?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

TNG? Oh, you mean the Troi 'n Geordi era.

Scrap that, this is exactly how LDS would do it

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank gently caress we were spared this fate.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean that's the thing, Tarantino is a talented enough writer/director he can actually get a lot of his idiot ideas to work really well. It may not of been the a good Trek movie but I can almost guarantee it would of been an entertaining movie. At the very least it would of been fascinating to see.

If another director tries to do his script though it would undoubted suck to an incredible degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I bounced hard off Hateful Eight and OUATIH, especially the latter, so that combined with Tarantino’s style and general sensibilities not meshing at all with Trek just made his potential movie seem like a disaster waiting to happen.