Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

What's it CALLED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wonder what he's filtering?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Plasma

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Protocols

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I love constantly bigging up Abelard and his family members in public to his embarrassment but also he's like "hell yeah"

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
whatre people building their abelards as

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MotU posted:

a friend

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

MotU posted:

a chungus who contributes little other than Does Not Die and Yells At People for Attention.

also yeah, talk him up to everybody and always, always make him announce you

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MotU posted:

THICC.

My main character has Iron Arm which grants at least +18 STR / TGH (and Warp Speed for +5 Move and +1AP)
Cassia has Reveal the Light for at least +28 WP / TGH
Voice of Command for at least +21 All Stats

I say "at least" because generally my main guy uses VoC on Cassia whose buffs then go even higher. And she'll VoC my main guy to make Iron Arm even better.

He gets up to like 150 TGH and if anything hits him it's always just like 1-5 Damage at most. He also has Endure to reduce all damage by his TGH. Just does a ton of damage and can cover so much ground with Warp Speed + Charge Attack + the momentous ability to restore all MP/AP and make attacks not spend your MP. Everyone ITT is all "Argenta is a boss" meanwhile by Abe is running around at Mach 1 turning everything into a paste with his big mace

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 19, 2023

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I made abelard a Vanguard but idk how useful it is.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vanguards the way to go yeah

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Vanguabelard with Heavy Armor laughs at the concept of taking damage.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah in endgame with Void Trooper armor he rules... for the two fights before game is over lol

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 19, 2023

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Help I'm stuck in act 5, I think it's a bug. I'm at Sanctum of Taaphetu and I inspected everything in the system I think, including the sun, and I beat the xeno fleet around the cluster of stars and now I have nowhere to go. I scanned the tomb world and nothing came up lol. Is something supposed to happen or did I miss something from a previous system?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

This complaining that it was because of "fans" that GW darkened up the Tau feels like the same sort of known "reason" as the known "reason" behind Endtimes that has consistently and repeatedly been brought up (i.e. GW staff getting pissy that Chaos lost a lot was why Endtimes happened - which is pretty categorically not true). Were there plenty of people who didn't like Tau for one reason or another? Absolutely. But this is the exact same timeframe where Eldar suddenly became a lot more dickish in the fluff as well (and suddenly started losing - or at best winning at grievous cost - literally everywhere including their own Codex). Because GW staff felt they had become too sympathetic and too much like the good guys, and so smashed that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Did I miss a plasma gun to create the Mechanicus Death Train in Act 1? I did not see this power in Pasqal but I love the guy, he's hilarious

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, there's a plasma gun after/near the sniper ambush in Act 1, before the final boss.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Stupid meetings out of the way, now I can actually play. C'mon just try and hurt him.

edit; Also it's super fun to use his "Push target STR spaces" attack :haw:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 19, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, there's a plasma gun after/near the sniper ambush in Act 1, before the final boss.
Ah OK. It's probably in my inventory somewhere then.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Nessus posted:

Ah OK. It's probably in my inventory somewhere then.

It might not be. The crate it hides in is invisible. You can see it on the map or its label when you hold tab.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just got an item that gives Pascal a free heroic action without using any momentum so basically no boss is ever going to have normal stats ever again. Operative is not that bad IMO.

Edit: I bought the original tau codex on the release date And I kind of disagree with the idea that they've been darkened up to some tremendous extent. They've always been space Imperial colonists, they've just provided more direct context over time, not made stuff up entirely. I don't have the physical book anymore but I'm pretty sure the first long form bit of fluff mentions ethereals having a suspicious level of control, for example.

Imo The big stylistic difference between Tau and other factions is about historical eras of evil rather than degrees of evil. The tau are Renaissance/Napoleonic evil whereas a lot of the other factions are solid 20th century.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 19, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Operative def helps tremendously post Act 3 when enemy dodge and armor go nuts

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm getting to the point where I have to consider taking useless Navigator talents on Cass, because they would boost other talents that scale their bonuses with the total number of Navigator talents she has.

Especially considering that the only thing my Cass does is solo all the encounters with her kill powers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Make Abelard a warrior/assassin so you can play pinball with him to murder everything imo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel like I don't even care when I level up anymore. Most of the remaining feats are highly limited bonuses that apply during like effects that last for one round.

Who cares if Abe can retaliate against every attack he parries after using an ability when he can just destroy them all instead?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah levelling up feels annoying after a point tbh

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

It might not be. The crate it hides in is invisible. You can see it on the map or its label when you hold tab.
I've been doing that pretty thoroughly.. are there other plasma sources early in Act 2 though? lol itemization

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

In 2 there are a good few. Like 4-5 I want to say? Its a good chapter for plasma heads

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

In the original fluff, Farsight himself was kind of suspicious/maybe evil? He was a normal Tau commander who suddenly went rogue and stopped taking orders and also started showing up with a giant weird warp blade bolted to his powersuit and encouraging all of his dudes to engage in melee combat. Nothing was concrete about his bit but it sure did look like he was a Tau guy who found Khorne.

When they revised the Tau to actually be just as evil as everyone else, he was swerved into being a guy who recognized that the Ethereals were mind controlling everyone and changed into being a renegade good guy instead.

You don't need to take it away, you just need to put limits on it. They even thought about this to some degree - their basic buff can only be cast on someone once every 3 turns, shared across all of your officers even. For some reason the "grant dudes extra turns" stuff isn't despite being vastly more powerful. You can simply make it so when someone is granted an additional turn from any source they can't get another from any source for a couple turns.

Officers have enough varied buffs that multiple officers wouldn't be rendered worthless by this change, since you could spec them into different types of buffs to complement each other.

They also need to tamp down super hard on resolve generation, because I'm 100% certain the combat system wasn't originally designed around you getting an ult every drat turn.

Resolve generation is where I fingered the blame upthread. The whole reason my party could become the Argenta Heavy Bolter Blowout was that I could get Argenta's resolve up to 20+ during the pre-initiative officer turns and then turn the trash enemies into marinara sauce. There's usually enough resolve generated between the two officers and Argenta that you've triggered two Heroic Acts--enough for a Steady Superiority for free attacks per turn and a Finest Hour to give Argenta her first full turn. At which point it's curtains. Yeah, free turns are the tool, but it's resolve building a spending and being able to activate everyone's heroic act in a single round that broke the game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm playing the game in the "intended manner" because I'm not evaporating entire combats in the first round or whatever.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Having 2-3 officers spam free turns on everyone gets kind of boring TBH, it makes the combat monotonous and removes the challenge. I'm considering respeccing Cass + Jae + my PC out of Officer so I can face some actual challenges

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are the Act 3 and on encounters even balanced around not running officers and unlimited weapon attacks?

For a 6000 hp enemy how do you take it down without extra turns and a source of repeated high damage attacks per turn before it wipes the party?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

Are the Act 3 and on encounters even balanced around not running officers and unlimited weapon attacks?

For a 6000 hp enemy how do you take it down without extra turns and a source of repeated high damage attacks per turn before it wipes the party?

Honestly just normal turns works fine if you have sources of super high damage like assassin yrliet and heavy bolter Argenta. Put vanguard abelard in front and he will hold the line just fine. The officer heroic action is really strong but spending 2 ap to give somebody else 2 ap I think starts scaling worse the later the game goes on.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Plus every officer you remove is another Assassin/Arch-Militant/etc you can have using high-damage attacks.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Somewhere I heard that we may get a patch sometime between the 20th and 22nd with a bunch of Act 4 and Act 5 fixes. Hope that's true because the game goes from tolerable levels of bugginess in Act 3 to actively frustrating enough not to continue in Act 4. I'll check out this "Wrath" game until then.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
But if you only have one archmilitant (one ranged and one melee) your buffs get concentrated on them and their grim reaper status comes earlier.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Honestly just normal turns works fine if you have sources of super high damage like assassin yrliet and heavy bolter Argenta. Put vanguard abelard in front and he will hold the line just fine. The officer heroic action is really strong but spending 2 ap to give somebody else 2 ap I think starts scaling worse the later the game goes on.

dunno about worse considering the value of that 2AP skyrockets as soon as you get to make multiple burst fires off of it. early on you get one extra shot since you dont have the tools to have multiples

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Goddamn the word bearer boss fight on the first planet is kicking my rear end. Any tips? Main problem is that I don't have enough movement to get everyone in separate cover first round, so usually at least one person goes down to the heavy bolter before they get a chance to act. The sniper is also a huge pain, can't reliably get him down before he domes at least one person. Did manage to kill the target on my fifth attempt - from a perils in the warp that annihilated him, Idira and Argenta, causing a loss anyway. Doesn't help that I have a bunch of wounds from the previous fights, and my last save before that sequence is hours earlier.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Goddamn the word bearer boss fight on the first planet is kicking my rear end. Any tips? Main problem is that I don't have enough movement to get everyone in separate cover first round, so usually at least one person goes down to the heavy bolter before they get a chance to act. The sniper is also a huge pain, can't reliably get him down before he domes at least one person. Did manage to kill the target on my fifth attempt - from a perils in the warp that annihilated him, Idira and Argenta, causing a loss anyway. Doesn't help that I have a bunch of wounds from the previous fights, and my last save before that sequence is hours earlier.

Your MC build and general party composition helps a bit for specific advice. For example , any officer with seize the initiative can force someone to walk up and hit him to change hate , like Abelard, or get Idira to throw a debuff like blind or Cassia to start her bullshit. Positioning your two sturdier/dodgier characters up front a spreading the rest so not everyone gets bolted and the ones who do survive generally works. After his turn, you can pile so many debuffs, he stops being a threat (Any of Cassia's debuffs, pascal's possibly heinrix with enfeeble, Abelard using Sworn Enemy etcall depends on your choices) As for the sniper, separating someone with a sniper or longlas and gunning for him can work. Argenta can mow cultists on the way and then switch to long range and she covers a lot of distance with Run and Gun for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!

Sharkopath posted:

Yes but officers actually have talents that make it so that they use 2 ap to give someone 4 ap and thats when poo poo goes crazy.