Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I kept Shadow of Tomb Raider around for a long rear end time after I finished it because it was fun to just explore the areas and find all the stuff for an hour or two. its a real pretty game.

I remember one of the other two TR games had a bit of input lag that made it a bit of a chore to finish so I slammed thru it. I think it was the one with the Sumo final boss but it was my least favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Laserface posted:

I remember one of the other two TR games had a bit of input lag that made it a bit of a chore to finish so I slammed thru it. I think it was the one with the Sumo final boss but it was my least favorite.

Rise had pretty obnoxious input lag on the base Xbox One (S). Fortunately the X-enhanced patch fixed it (and was generally one of the best X patches we ever got, including the Enriched Visuals mode which was a stunning upgrade).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I still can’t get over the fact that the og Tomb raiders felt like legit exploration games + combat. You could do tricks like a hand stand on a ridge or swan dive into a lake. It felt organic, which the reboot did away with but instead included a stagger/dodge animation in service of shooting people.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I still can’t get over the fact that the og Tomb raiders felt like legit exploration games + combat. You could do tricks like a hand stand on a ridge or swan dive into a lake. It felt organic, which the reboot did away with but instead included a stagger/dodge animation in service of shooting people.

you can still swan dive off waterfalls in Shadow TR.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

checking out the flensed corpse of rewards and on top of reducing daily clicks down to one or two points each, searches are capped at three per fifteen minute window lol. I clicked the charity tab on to capture any inadvertent points I pick up but it's 100% not worth the daily effort any more

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Martman posted:

Remnant 2 is pretty clunky and I'm probably not gonna stick it out too long but I'm glad to try it on game pass. I'm impressed by how many accessories I'm getting that actually have interesting and unique effects rather than just "+x% to blah" or whatever, and the NPCs have some surprisingly nice flavor dialogue and vibes and stuff.

Performance is pretty rough on the Series S though sadly, and gamepad controls are... surprisingly bad in some ways. Or at least, the interface and menu navigation and stuff is.

Remnant 1 really clicked for me, I am enjoying the hell out of it, despite the obvious optimisation for coop and me being a single player kind of guy and despite controllers being terrible input devices for 3d precision

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Odyssey might be my favorite AC. I could never get into Origins for some reason, even though it's the same game but different setting.

It’s because Kassandra was fuckin’ great. Whatshisface the brother sucked I don’t know anyone who played as that boring scrub.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Geez Louise, that's quite the Insomniac leak. Looks like a bunch of Sony internal figures came out of it as well.

Chasiubao posted:

It’s because Kassandra was fuckin’ great. Whatshisface the brother sucked I don’t know anyone who played as that boring scrub.

Kassandra was the best, my favorite AC character. Wonderfully acted by *looks up name* Melissanthi Mahut.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 16, 2024

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I liked origins enough because of the setting. I tried Valhalla and I just am so burned out of the formula after playing Origins though.
Back to vampire survivors!

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Snacksmaniac posted:

I liked origins enough because of the setting. I tried Valhalla and I just am so burned out of the formula after playing Origins though.
Back to vampire survivors!

Never play two Ubisoft games in anything like quick succession.

Please to find it's finally been long enough for me to enjoy one again just as FarCry 6 drops.

It's gruel but nourishing. I will clear the hell out of some maps.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

More games need stuff like this imo

Hope the Indiana Jones devs get it right. No automated swinging and climbing I want to be able to gently caress up and swing face first into a cliff and slide down it painfully until finding something to grab onto. True evolution of the genre.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Weirdly enough the best part of Rise of the Tomb Raider was the strangely addictive survival roguelike mode they added as DLC.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jables88 posted:

I played Mirage immediately after bouncing off Valhalla (close to the beginning, when they split the first uninteresting "arc" goal into three smaller goals and then one of those into another three "go there and talk to this person" goals, right after the introduction of the base improvement systems, just endless checklists) and it was like a breath of fresh air. It's almost a retro game, a throwback to the ancient era of 2007

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Honestly Valhalla is only mid tier - it looks astonishingly good on the new consoles, but it controls like poo poo, the combat is super easy after a few levels, the map is saturated in icons, and holy poo poo the story is boring and about twice as long as it should be

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds like every assassin's creed ever

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Odyssey is a fantastic game that I've probably spent like 200 hours in, and I just couldn't get into Origins or Valhalla in the same way. I played through Valhalla, at least, but by the end it felt like a total slog (and I'll avoid spoilers except to say the ending itself is a turn that just feels really, really lovely). Kassandra made Odyssey a joy to play through, while Eivor was just kinda ... there. I've heard such wonderful things about Origins that I know I'll give it more of a shot one day, but the gameplay feels like a beta version of Odyssey and that makes it tough to go back to.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 19, 2023

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

American McGay posted:

For what? F76? It's an online game. There's no singleplayer. Only solo.

At one point, they were giving away some gift inside FO76 to Game Pass subscribers. I accepted it, thinking it would just sit there in my account until I actually played FO76. Much to my surprise, I immediately started downloading FO 76 and was now on a trial subscription tied to my Xbox account.

FO 76: so bad they had to dupe people into subscribing.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Chasiubao posted:

It was always meant to be a Kassandra game, which is why she is fully fleshed out and her brother seems like an afterthought. Deimos was added in late in development because one of the creative leads claimed that a woman lead wouldn’t sell.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Has anyone ever played the game "Ancestors"? I always see it on sale and it looks interesting but I've never seen a single other person even mention it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jables88 posted:

Please to find it's finally been long enough for me to enjoy one again just as FarCry 6 drops.

It's gruel but nourishing. I will clear the hell out of some maps.

This should be the first word in every Ubisoft game thread. I for the life me cannot understand how anyone can go from Origin to Odyssey to Valhalla. And I REFUSE to believe you didn't lose brain cells doing that.

That's coming from someone who has played all AC games till Odyssey and has played the first 3 Far Cry games, played many other ubisoft games like Ghost Recon Wildlands, For Honor, Watch Dogs.

So I do like their generic template copy pasta design because sometimes the setting and production value can carry it. But I will never play their games back to back because by the end of their games you end up being tired of the useless open world activities and the main story isn't strong either so just mainlining it isn't fun either.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Has anyone ever played the game "Ancestors"? I always see it on sale and it looks interesting but I've never seen a single other person even mention it.

It is very obtuse and clunky. I have tried several times to get into but a lot of people seem to not even make it out of the tutorial

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
It's cool that they've created an entire genre of mediocrity

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Beastie posted:

It is very obtuse and clunky. I have tried several times to get into but a lot of people seem to not even make it out of the tutorial

Agreed, I played for 10 minutes and uninstalled. It's a cool enough idea, but it doesn't play well at all.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SUNKOS posted:

More games need stuff like this imo

Hope the Indiana Jones devs get it right. No automated swinging and climbing I want to be able to gently caress up and swing face first into a cliff and slide down it painfully until finding something to grab onto. True evolution of the genre.

Yes!! I swan dived into concrete so many times in the first game lol. The character seemed to have weight and momentum, sort of like a rockstar game. Those first two games were so much fun.

By the 3rd game her boobs were so big on the box it was too embarrassing to buy.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

I think there’s a remastering of the original Tomb Raiders coming soon

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flux Wildly posted:

I think there’s a remastering of the original Tomb Raiders coming soon
There is, with options for both updated and PS1 graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGrYKr2MTMs

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I want to eventually play Valhalla but just so I can be a Viking warrior that just fucks everybody.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Never go with a Ubisoft game to a second location.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m so tempted to grab an X again due to these sales but I just know I won’t touch it after long. Maybe next year when my backlog has a bigger dent put into it. Shut up, it’ll happen this time.:)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Kins posted:

There is, with options for both updated and PS1 graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGrYKr2MTMs

Oh hell yeah! Back flipping dual wielding Lara is back.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I bought a $150 S and I have no clue what to do with it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Which 360 Halo had the best 4p co-op campaign?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hatty posted:

I bought a $150 S and I have no clue what to do with it

Buy dev mode and load 1,000 roms on it. Then buy a series x.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I already have an X :kiddo:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hatty posted:

I already have an X :kiddo:

Then make it an emulator machine or gift it to someone. Why did you buy one for no reason lol

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ZeeBoi posted:

It was always meant to be a Kassandra game, which is why she is fully fleshed out and her brother seems like an afterthought. Deimos was added in late in development because one of the creative leads claimed that a woman lead wouldn’t sell.

Fondly remembering the time a Ubisoft exec claimed with a straight face that they’d never done female lead in their games because animating women was “too hard”

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

webmeister posted:

Fondly remembering the time a Ubisoft exec claimed with a straight face that they’d never done female lead in their games because animating women was “too hard”

Well yeah ya gotta give em a different sexy walk and animate their boobs bouncing around all over the place while they walk

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Then make it an emulator machine or gift it to someone. Why did you buy one for no reason lol

$150? I'd do the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Can't have enough Xboxen