Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Smith sucks rear end but “backing Ridder” feels relatively low on the list of reasons to bury him. Why isn’t the GM catching heat for this? Or does he have roster control?

You can fairly criticize Smith for the Falcons looking like poo poo in every phase of the game. A terrible offensive scheme. And constantly giving touches to idiots like Jonnu Smith and Mack Hollins and Tyler Allgeier over guys anybody with eyes can see are insanely talented when they get opportunities. But like what is he supposed to do at QB when he’s got the choice of Mariota, Ridder, and Heinecke lol, none of them was ever going to work out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Febreeze posted:

Sirianni has taken the Eagles to the playoffs 3 years in a row, a super bowl last year, you are a lunatic if you think he's gone even if the rest of the season goes badly

keep in mind that there were people in this thread who said Shanahan's seat should be hot after the niners started 3-4 last year. this thread hungers for coach blood, reason doesn't enter into it

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Docjowles posted:

Smith sucks rear end but “backing Ridder” feels relatively low on the list of reasons to bury him. Why isn’t the GM catching heat for this? Or does he have roster control?

You can fairly criticize Smith for the Falcons looking like poo poo in every phase of the game. A terrible offensive scheme. And constantly giving touches to idiots like Jonnu Smith and Mack Hollins and Tyler Allgeier over guys anybody with eyes can see are insanely talented when they get opportunities. But like what is he supposed to do at QB when he’s got the choice of Mariota, Ridder, and Heinecke lol, none of them was ever going to work out

Smith needs to go. The FO is spending incredible resources on blue chip players that should make the team better and he is just straight up unable or unwilling to develop an offense that takes advantage of their talent. A team can't be successful with that kind of a schism between the FO and HC.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also Ridder was only a 3rd-round pick, you're not married to him. The GM has plenty of leeway to find another guy if the mid-round rando didn't work out.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Sirianni is a nobody who was hired to be a yes man and just guide the stacked roster to wins. Was carried by coordinators up until this year when they left and now the emperor is fully clothed.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dropping a Penix or Daniels or whatever decent rookie qb into the Falcons seems like they’d immediately be substantially better.

Ridder really holds the team back.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ridder’s no look red zone pick into triple coverage was really something to behold

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's loving incredible that the Jets lost to the Ridder Falcons

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It's loving incredible that the Jets lost to the Ridder Falcons

Is it? Why does it surprise you that your awful team with a bad coaching staff and garbage QBs lose?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Is it? Why does it surprise you that your awful team with a bad coaching staff and garbage QBs lose?

Because they are supposed to have an elite defense

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1737140981479477584?t=nNn8SFYAgYtVgNTHi0L79A&s=19

The Athletic posted:

Year after year, the Steelers have been among the league’s highest spenders on defense, produced record-setting sack numbers and relied on timely turnovers to carry a failing offense. But just like in 2019, the questions at QB remain unanswered, and the offense further devolves into an anchor holding the team back.

And now the Steelers are back where it all began, fighting to keep Tomlin’s non-losing season streak alive with only the faintest playoff hope and Rudolph under center.

The only change is the duck calls for Hodges have transformed into a growing crescendo clamoring for Tomlin’s job.

I don't think he's gone this year even if they lose our but the fact Tomlin is getting these articles doesn't bode well.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the jets defense is as good as they are demoralized (very)

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It's 2023, you can't win games with just defense if your offense is an abortion.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Benne posted:

lmao he's not even close to warm. Y'all are more reactionary than Steelers fans.

I suspect the ownership group will demand that he clean house of his staff, like they did to Cowher twice in his tenure.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A fun game

Every NFC South win outside of the NFC South this year

Buccaneers: @Vikings, Bears, Titans, @Packers
Falcons: Packers, Texans, @Jets
Saints: Titans, @Patriots, @Colts, Bears, Giants
Panthers: Texans

Packers, Texans, Titans, Bears, you've all lost twice to NFC South teams, be embarrassed.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

mcmagic posted:

they lost 13-8 lmfao

Nov 6, 2002

D-LINK posted:

I suspect the ownership group will demand that he clean house of his staff, like they did to Cowher twice in his tenure.

So many teams would be better off if they could operate like the Steelers and Ravens and had better institutional control, such that the HC didn't slowly usurp power over the entire organization. The Patriots would be a lot better off if they could tell Bill that he needs to hire actual coaches and not just his children and former players and doesn't get to control the roster. You're starting to see the same problem in KC with Reid. Same stuff that led to his departure in Philly.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I feel like HCs and GMs should have a ten year term limit with the same team. Doesn't matter how great, keep it moving.

Nov 6, 2002

Near the end of his Philly tenure Reid was doing stupid poo poo like making his oline coach the DC and no one could tell him otherwise. Sound familiar?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Woozie66 posted:

I feel like HCs and GMs should have a ten year term limit with the same team. Doesn't matter how great, keep it moving.

CC: Brian Cashman

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Near the end of his Philly tenure Reid was doing stupid poo poo like making his oline coach the DC and no one could tell him otherwise. Sound familiar?

lol I forgot about that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I have been a known Tomlin hater and I have no idea if his next stop would be great or a disaster lol

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Smith needs to go. The FO is spending incredible resources on blue chip players that should make the team better and he is just straight up unable or unwilling to develop an offense that takes advantage of their talent. A team can't be successful with that kind of a schism between the FO and HC.

Just to be clear I totally agree with this. But the thrust of that Athletic article seemed to be that Blank is mostly mad at him for drafting Ridder which was confusing because he is not the GM??? Why isn’t he on the hot seat for the myriad other ways in which he’s an awful coach

Or maybe just bad reporting, the Athletic isn’t exactly at the top of their game these days

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The Jets scored 8 points and gave up less than 200 yards of offense. the defence wasn't the problem!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Jets scored 8 points and gave up less than 200 yards of offense. the defence wasn't the problem!!!

The Panthers' D was better against the Falcons!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The Panthers' D was better against the Falcons!

Should probably also mention it was a muddy, windy poo poo hole game

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You seriously cannot blame the defence for losing a game where the offense scores 6 total points

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The transitive property of the NFL states that Zach Wilson singlehandedly beat the Eagles and Bills and...

This is dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

The transitive property of the NFL states that Zach Wilson singlehandedly beat the Eagles and Bills and...

This is dumb.

The real tragedy is that they won that Giant game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You seriously cannot blame the defence for losing a game where the offense scores 6 total points

Turns out I can because I am a movie stereotype ethnic parent and anything less than perfection is failure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The point was more than the Jets are like the worst team in the NFL if they can't beat the Ridder Falcons no matter how the game went.

Nov 6, 2002

triple sulk posted:

lol I forgot about that

Teams just let coaches get more and more power as they grow successful until the HC screws up the secret sauce. Reid, just this year, hired his remaining son to the coaching staff. Someone in KC should be intervening there. The history of Reid's children working for him is... bad, very bad.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

mcmagic posted:

The point was more than the Jets are like the worst team in the NFL if they can't beat the Ridder Falcons no matter how the game went.

Packers lost to them too

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Febreeze posted:

Sirianni has taken the Eagles to the playoffs 3 years in a row, a super bowl last year, you are a lunatic if you think he's gone even if the rest of the season goes badly
Not this season, no. Next season is going to be a make or break point though, especially if the bottom completely falls out of this season, playoffs be damned.

Everybody's now seeing on full display what we've been bellyaching about since September, a team that's simply not good enough. There's too much talent on the offense to be this anemic, so maybe they change OC this offseason, but then what? If things continue to stagnate, how many coordinators can Nick run through before he gets got?

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they will fix all this by the end of the year or next season, but next season is going to be the test here.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Phobeste posted:

That's signalling they're interested in belichick and would give him full roster control imo

Why not. Josh McDaniels is already available and Matt Patricia will be soon, you can get the whole gang back together.

I'm so so so sorry Herbie

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Nervous posted:

Why not. Josh McDaniels is already available and Matt Patricia will be soon, you can get the whole gang back together.

I'm so so so sorry Herbie

I could not possibly care less if Bill brought McDaniels with him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean McDaniels is a really good OC with a long, long career of building an offense around great QB's.

And he'll never ever get poached as a HC candidate ever again. He's like the perfect OC for Herbert. He could be there 15 years.

If you view hiring a defensive coach's biggest weakness that any good OC will get snatched from them after a year or two... McDaniels is your solution. He's an unhirable prick to any Head job, he's peaked. Give him a good QB and let him go to town

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

I mean McDaniels is a really good OC with a long, long career of building an offense around great QB's.

And he'll never ever get poached as a HC candidate ever again. He's like the perfect OC for Herbert. He could be there 15 years.

If you view hiring a defensive coach's biggest weakness that any good OC will get snatched from them after a year or two... McDaniels is your solution. He's an unhirable prick to any Head job, he's peaked. Give him a good QB and let him go to town
Wasnt McDaniels bad in St Louis after his first HC tenure? And he only looked good again when he went back to NE? My memory is fuzzy so I could be mis-remembering.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
well yeah but belichick would be there so you'd get good version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wasnt McDaniels bad in St Louis after his first HC tenure? And he only looked good again when he went back to NE? My memory is fuzzy so I could be mis-remembering.

That Rams team was uh.

Yeah.