Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

You can't even call alt-milks milk here any more because the national dairy council are frightened babies with way too much clout.

I'll never call you milk! You're not my real milk! :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wasn't there also a soda that went from No.1 to out of business because they thought they were too big to fail and stopped advertising?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Moxie

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Nuh-uh. My Cat's called Moxie and we see her every day.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't mess with daddies milkies

e: your boners may be in jeopardy

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I went to the wiki to read about this soda and, unrelated to the actual topic of advertising, just wanted to post this paragraph

quote:

The Moxie brand was purchased in 1966 by the Monarch Beverage Company of Atlanta. In 2007 Monarch sold it to its previous owner, Cornucopia Beverages of Bedford, New Hampshire, which is owned by the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Northern New England, a subsidiary of the Kirin Brewery Company, which is a subsidiary of Kirin Company, Limited, which is a subsidiary of Kirin Holdings Company, Limited, based in Tokyo, Japan (a member of the Mitsubishi keiretsu).[23]

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Garrand posted:

I went to the wiki to read about this soda and, unrelated to the actual topic of advertising, just wanted to post this paragraph

Lmfao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Millions of people think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2JCRo5xiM

as the "Beef: It's What's For Dinner™" theme

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Prefer the sinister crop

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I fuckin love Copland’s music and was thinking of it before entering this thread, so that’s a pretty niche coincidence

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

for fucks sake posted:

Prefer the sinister crop

Reinterpreted for our time

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
The incredible edible egg.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

JGdmn posted:

The incredible edible egg.

Lol remember the "Eggs: Give 'em a break" phase

Sometime in the early 80s we discovered what cholesterol was and America lost its collective poo poo to the extent that it almost flattened the egg industry out of existence. "2 eggs per week" was the limit or you would surely die

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Data Graham posted:

Or are just old progressive rock fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCniNYZoFg

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Data Graham posted:

Sometime in the early 80s we discovered what cholesterol was and America lost its collective poo poo to the extent that it almost flattened the egg industry out of existence. "2 eggs per week" was the limit or you would surely die

Back in the '80', a UK politician, Edwina Currie, triggered a 60% fall in egg sales over a period of a few weeks, because she basically said UK eggs were riddled with salmonella.

quote:

The controversy caused weekly losses in the egg industry of £5 million, and 5,000 of the United Kingdom's chicken farmers facing bankruptcy. In the following days and weeks, egg sales dropped 60 percent, and were still 30 percent down in January 1989. It took another 25 years for egg sales to return to what they had been before 1988.

It's what she's remembered for, that and having an honest-to-god affair with John Major.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I told a nurse that I ate an egg and porridge for breakfast every day. She said the current maximum was four eggs per week. I said I can't stomach plain loving yoghurt in the morning and I sure as gently caress would not be eating cottage cheese with porridge. She looked at my cholesterol levels and said: "OK eat the eggs".

If I die it won't be because of eggs anyway.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Dec 19, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm sorry if you are named Edwina, but that is a terrible name for a woman

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I told a nurse that I ate an egg and porridge for breakfast every day. She said the current maximum was four eggs per week. I said I can't stomach loving plain yoghurt in the morning and I sure as gently caress would not be eating cottage cheese with porridge. She looked at my cholesterol levels and said: "OK eat the eggs".

If I die it won't be because of eggs anyway.

On the other hand I ate a pair of hard boiled eggs for lunch every day for a while as an easy to transport lunch with enough protein to fill me up until dinner when I was working at a place that didn't have refrigerators.

My cholesterol went loving apeshit, to the point where the Dr. had me come in for four different follow up exams to make sure it stayed down after I cut the eggs out. I forget the numbers now, but it was comically over what it should have been, like if normal is 2 I had loving 25 or something. Zero other dietary / lifestyle changes other than not eating two eggs a day.

Maybe there's a genetic component to it? Maybe eggs are a land of contrast? :iiam:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Were they 2 ostrich eggs?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

On the other hand I ate a pair of hard boiled eggs for lunch every day for a while as an easy to transport lunch with enough protein to fill me up until dinner when I was working at a place that didn't have refrigerators.

My cholesterol went loving apeshit, to the point where the Dr. had me come in for four different follow up exams to make sure it stayed down after I cut the eggs out. I forget the numbers now, but it was comically over what it should have been, like if normal is 2 I had loving 25 or something. Zero other dietary / lifestyle changes other than not eating two eggs a day.

Maybe there's a genetic component to it? Maybe eggs are a land of contrast? :iiam:

Well, I don't eat two eggs, for one thing. Two eggs is twice as much as one egg. My cholesterol was 4,9 (1,07hi 3,3lo) at the time. Yes I know it doesn't add up.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Ain't gonna let someone post ELP without linking to Australia's runner-up national anthem (behind Working Class Man, natch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zurZig4L8

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Were they 2 ostrich eggs?

I am going to keep eating my two brontosaurus eggs a day and no know-it-all doctor is going to stop me

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dietary cholesterol impacts in blood lipids is very genetic and if you're impacted you can see single eggs jerk your levels and if you're not impacted you can eat pork brains and eggs every morning with no impact.

You'll also notice the Got Milk campaign is doing double duty, focusing on reminding you skim milk exists which was a big deal in the 90s because we decided fat was bad even for children and the dairy industry was very ready to process whole milk into a much more profitable set of skim milk and butter.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I saw the Denver Philharmonic do a show at Red Rocks and the final piece was Copland’s Hoedown; the conductor actually used the short pause at the end to say, “Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner.™”

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I remember seeing this a lot when I was young and impressionable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRv9ZQOCPo

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Nationalism is surprisingly good branding. Irn bru lives by being "the Scottish soft drink" and plays that up constantly. Personally i buy it becsuse its interesting compared to other soft drinks, but admittedly im drinking less soft drinks now becsuse they all taste of absolute dogshit because of the sugar tax here. Means they jack it all full of sweeteners and they taste foul.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

for fucks sake posted:

Prefer the sinister crop

The underworld boss that breaks your kneecaps when you don't answer in the form of a question.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Genetics can be pretty good. I keep chickens and eat tons of eggs and I have the best cholesterol numbers I’ve ever seen.

I do think another part of it is that most people eat crappy fast food and drink soda though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Velocity Raptor posted:

I remember seeing this a lot when I was young and impressionable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRv9ZQOCPo

I still eat cheese by the hunk thanks to this

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Data Graham posted:

I still eat cheese by the hunk thanks to this
I’m a slab guy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well, I don't eat two eggs, for one thing. Two eggs is twice as much as one egg.

i learned something today

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Grassy Knowles posted:

i learned something today

I ran the math.

It checks out.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHAFMFFQlkI&t=24s

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
On the advertising side there’s an apocryphal story that anyone who studies marketing hears, about a guy sitting next to William Wrigley on a plane, and asking “Hey, your name is basically synonymous with ‘chewing gum.’ Why do you keep advertising?”

Wrigley’s response was something like “Sure, and let’s just turn the engines on this plane off now that we’re in the sky.”

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

RCarr posted:

Who pays for those? Do all the milk companies chip in? It’s one of those weird unnecessary things. Like you don’t need an ad for milk. Anyone who’s going to buy milk will already have been buying it. It’s like a canvas ad telling you to buy beef.

I'm pretty sure the California Raisins campaign got people eating a lot more raisins than they were before, although the ads became so expensive after a few years that they were no longer worth it

for fucks sake posted:

Prefer the sinister crop

Most definitely

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Top Of Mind Awareness is a real thing especially in saturated markets like beverages and alcohol. You see a wall of hundreds of options and the last one you saw will stick out.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

for fucks sake posted:

Prefer the sinister crop

Ah, that's not milk in his moustache, it's bone dust

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Killer robot posted:

Marketing is like that. Reminding people of your well-known product can still drive sales because people don't just want to eat specific things purely out of the ether. The pork campaign hit when pork was sagging under the reputation of being a fatty unhealthy meat and sales went up after. The Got Milk campaign started when milk sales were in decline, and they went up again. You can never know for sure how much was the ad campaign, but by all appearances it worked.

The lol epic bacon memes were astroturfed in part by the pork council too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

freeedr posted:

I fuckin love Copland’s music

:hai: I like to listen to his music on the 4th of July because I think it’s a way better idealistic celebration of America than the 1812 Overture that isn’t even American anyway

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Two eggs is twice as much as one egg.

And that’s terrible.