Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

The thing that made me finally like the eight bound was building them without the torso armor. They have fully sculpted bare torsos that give them a much more brutal look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I even like the eightbound and I have no idea why they bothered making them two seperate units, lol. But i prefer one datasheet with multiple options than multiple datasheets with less options each

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

SuperKlaus posted:

Well yeah it wasn't so much about reasons for Custodes and Guard to fight because everyone in the setting is a violent blockhead. I was more idly wondering if the Custodes were a super secret squirrel thing, to make for a funny epilogue to a Kill Team game with a friend where Guard beat Custodes.

Custodes rule because they are who you see chilling with the Emperor on the stained glass when you go to church. In Necromunda the Cawdor fight with polearms in reverence of them!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

smug jeebus posted:

These aren't finished yet, don't look at them

That's pretty close to the point that if I actually played 40K I'd definitely do that conversion.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

The real question is why the hell are exalted eightbound not squads of 8 instead of 3?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Improbable Lobster posted:

I even like the eightbound and I have no idea why they bothered making them two seperate units, lol. But i prefer one datasheet with multiple options than multiple datasheets with less options each

You'd prefer only 3 units instead of 4-6 units?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Custodes are cool but a guy in robes with a spear and guy in robes with a spear and a jetbike is a bit thin for an army. That also puts them in the eldar in power armor category too.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Lostconfused posted:

Custodes are cool but a guy in robes with a spear and guy in robes with a spear and a jetbike is a bit thin for an army. That also puts them in the eldar in power armor category too.

Both in lore and on the tabletop, Custodes are distinguished more by being hard to kill than exceptionally killy (although they still are that, because 45pt per troop model). That also makes thematic sense, what with them being bodyguards and janitors. It's not at all like squishy eldar.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
Have them uncover some lost secret cache of definitely not terminator armor that the emperor himself crafted at the molecular level to make your arms long enough to box with god or something.

Hang on going to look at the store to make sure this doesn’t exist already

Edit: well, never mind then.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Eej posted:

You'd prefer only 3 units instead of 4-6 units?

I'd prefer stuff like Exalted Eightbound be an upgrade on the Eightbound datasheet rather than an entirely different unit.

Another example is that I prefered when the space marine predator had the lascannons as an optional upgrade rather than having two datasheets where the only difference is one gun.

Ultimately I think it's just personal preference.

Also World Eaters should have gotten more of the regular chaos space marine toys

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 19, 2023

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
they also got bespoke special rules that define what you're supposed to be using them for

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Also World Eaters should have gotten more of the regular space marine toys

they can't even have bikes

:smith:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

they can't even have bikes

:smith:

Bikes seem like they're on the way out for chaos in general, though I guess they could become an Emperor's Children thing if they get refreshed - those minis are like 2nd edition, right? I figured World Eaters are going to get skullcrushers since they've got Juggernaut characters.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Bikes are the most common rumor I see get thrown around as the new model refresh that will come with the 10th CSM codex. Just a rumor obviously, but I haven't even heard another unit thrown in as a possibility everyones just going "bikes bikes bikes"

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 19, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I haven't read a single 40K Black Library book involving the World Eaters, but the idea of a group of them being able to maintain Heresy old combat bikes without surfs or a gaggle of Dark Mechanicus gearheads working on them all the time seems doubtful. Now that I think about it more, it's kind of a rad idea.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
bikes bikes bikes bikes bikes bikes bikes bikes

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

AndyElusive posted:

I haven't read a single 40K Black Library book involving the World Eaters, but the idea of a group of them being able to maintain Heresy old combat bikes without surfs or a gaggle of Dark Mechanicus gearheads working on them all the time seems doubtful. Now that I think about it more, it's kind of a rad idea.

In (I think) Red Angel, whats left of Lotarra gives a WE champion crap for trying to take over the Conqueror with out thinking through anything; asking him if he even knows when the last time the ship took on fuel, or from who.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

it's kind of a rad idea.

Ths is all the justification World Eater bikes need.

Also I want to read a story about a World Eater Predator tank commander who wires his nails into the feedback systems of the tank and becomes a living demon engine :black101:

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 19, 2023

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Ths is all the justification World Eater bikes need.

Yeah "Rad as hell" should be the justification for more models.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I'd prefer stuff like Exalted Eightbound be an upgrade on the Eightbound datasheet rather than an entirely different unit.

Another example is that I prefered when the space marine predator had the lascannons as an optional upgrade rather than having two datasheets where the only difference is one gun.

Ultimately I think it's just personal preference.

Also World Eaters should have gotten more of the regular chaos space marine toys

I don't get why you want to give WE less datasheets and remove special rules?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
After yesterday I can safely say that tech Marines are absolute loving bullshit and need to be changed because of 1 singular enhancement. drat that hurt.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Eej posted:

I don't get why you want to give WE less datasheets and remove special rules?

I don't. I was just expressing a preference for some of the design conventions of older editions of the game

Sorry I guess?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I just don't get that pov because having one sheet with upgrades that do totally different things means you're kneecapped with the rule of 3. Maybe you want 2 cheaper anti infantry boys and 2 more expensive anti everything guys? Maybe you don't need 2 guys with non stacking wound reroll auras but want to max out on 3 units of Exalted (some comp lists do this)?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Eej posted:

Yeah I just don't get that pov because having one sheet with upgrades that do totally different things means you're kneecapped with the rule of 3. Maybe you want 2 cheaper anti infantry boys and 2 more expensive anti everything guys? Maybe you don't need 2 guys with non stacking wound reroll auras but want to max out on 3 units of Exalted (some comp lists do this)?

Okay

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Its because 40k has 30+ playable armies and there are just not enough ways to be distinct. Do you want the elite melee, the elite melee or the elite melee faction? How about the shooting focused bad at melee faction or the shooting focused bad at melee faction? And if that's too tricky for you we have sixteen different varieties of space marine, including three different flavours of "Better than regular space marines".

Comparing with previous editions, I think this is why they are going with (or went with) more army based rules. You can have that basic spectrum but you got an army with free rerolls, extra dice, respawns, +1 to hit/wounds on specific targets or the whole army for a turn.

But like I said before, this is why I think they should eliminate or consolidate some of the factions. Frees up some room for other armies to stand out that aren't just regular space marines.

Also if I'm out to lunch on this I've only gotten back into the game in the past few months.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
dear james workshop

there are too many armies nowadays. please eliminate three. i am not a crackpot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Clearly the answer is more armies and even less balance testing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The answer is to cut out more Xenos

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Eej posted:

The answer is to cut out more Xenos

Isn't that 30K?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Cease to Hope posted:

dear james workshop

there are too many armies nowadays. please eliminate three. i am not a crackpot.

How will people cope without assault space marines, assault space marines and assault space marines?!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bikes are cool, they're how you get space knights. Plus Chaos poo poo Just Works because it's following its own laws.

Safety Factor posted:

30k Emperor's Children are very much power armored eldar. They live for the charge. They even have a unique one use reaction to let them counter charge. If they're not charging they're dying. To run them well you need to watch your positioning and invest in transports, jump packs, etc. to make sure you can control the engagement more than your opponent.

Giving them a conditional always strikes first only on their charge would go a long way towards approximating their 30k feel, IMO. But that might not be what you actually want.

In 30k they're all about obsessive perfection, which translates great into mechanics - the units are specialized enough to reward good planning and clever play, and punish blundering around reacting to whatever.

But 40k EC are currently in a weird place, thematically. They're sex and drugs and rock-'n'-roll. The perfection is gone, along with the obsession and temptation themes. They're artless, and they shouldn't be.

I think that's what's kept them from getting out into a codex: it's really easy to do them wrong. AoS has some great vibes with the Hedonists, and that's a good place to draw from, but it's a distinctly AoS aesthetic.

I'd guess that the new Heretic Astartes list is a preview of where they're headed, and that's probably okay.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I didn't play in 9th that's just when I started collecting/painting and never got game ready, but isn't all the strikes first stuff very in line with what you got if you built your CSMs as EC in 9th with all the mandatory Slaanesh marks and with Lucius in the army?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There was a kinda thing where if you had the Mark of Slaanesh and started in engagement range you'd fight first.

I just had another look at the 9e Chaos Marines book and there's probably more but I can't figure it out from this mess.

E: p76 states more or less that Emperor's Children get Noise Marines as troops and that's basically it.

You might be conflating 9e and 10th, where 10th has a bunch of "if Lucius is your warlord ..." rules

E2: in 9th The MoS lets you fight first regardless of who charged whom. In 30k, charging increases EC's initiative by 1 so they're going to fight first in most cases. (30k resolves melee combat in initiative order.)

The difference is that it was always on in 9th, vs being an earned reward in 30k.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 20, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

World Eaters are canonically armed and maintained by the gifts of Khorne. Who needs armoury serfs when your god repairs your armour after a good fight?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Cease to Hope posted:

dear james workshop

Custodes, Knights, Chaos Knights.

Done.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

World Eaters are canonically armed and maintained by the gifts of Khorne. Who needs armoury serfs when your god repairs your armour after a good fight?

Would Khorne even consider the bike part of their armor though? He'd just give you a Juggernaut to ride into hell, or your bike would just start turning into one. I mean, that's probably the reason why WE don't have bikes. They grew legs and ran away.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Why are Deathwatch and Grey Knights under Space Marines anyway? Aren't they both special Inquisition death squads for xenos and psycher/warp stuff respectively?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Deathwatch are under Space Marines because they are literally space marines who are seconded to the Ordo Xenos for variable lengths of time.

Grey Knights are not under Space Marines they have their own codex.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
WE don't need bikes, they need jakhals riding flesh hounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
not even shitposting. less "what if an old CSM unit, but khorne" and more "what new stuff can we do with the WE aesthetic?"

please give WE more dudes who are half chainsaw, a khorne coven who cleans the skulls, a shooting unit that flenses and flays, penitents who fight harder on death than they do normally

anything but "CSM guy with chainaxes", please