Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Harlock posted:

If I have any concerns or misgivings about the 15th Doctor, I hope they do not do a romance plot with Ruby.

Can we have an "alien" companion outside of audio for once?

and have that be the romance plot :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno, it all feels fairly consistent if you're dealing with a civilisation that privileges study, particularly the study of itself and its own culture, while shunning physical interaction with the outside world. So yeah, I figure it would have been a class at the Academy.

Yes, but as you yourself said, that's something that could be handled by automation. They'd probably have special TARDIS repair drones on hand in case of an emergency, so that the Time Lords, the ruling elite of Gallifrey, wouldn't sully their hands with something as plebian as TARDIS repair.

Remember too, by that point in the series' run, TARDISes weren't supposed to be something any Time Lord could just hop in and pilot. They were only supposed to be used by select Time Lords that were sent on special assignment or missions approved by the High Council. By stealing a TARDIS, the Doctor (and Master, and Meddling Monk, and Drax) was on the run, a wanted criminal, for taking it without authorization. And even the Doctor couldn't pilot it 100% correctly most of the time. If a Time Lord wasn't going to be one of those chosen few, why would they need to know how to operate a TARDIS, let alone repair one?

I suppose "basic TARDIS knowledge" could just be one of those things a Time Lord gets put into their individual memory by being linked to the Matrix, that's certainly a possibility; but again, I don't see why that'd necessitate them having to do the actual grunt work of manual repair (unless of course, they're on the run like the Doctor, or the Master, or the Meddling Monk, or Drax, or...).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Man has priorities. MAs, Decalogs in place, NAs, EDAs, Target novelisations and… some Buffy VHSes?!

If I recall correctly, he used Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Joss Whedon (oof) as a kind of blueprint for how to approach the revival of Who back in 2005?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

If I recall correctly, he used Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Joss Whedon (oof) as a kind of blueprint for how to approach the revival of Who back in 2005?

Oh yes, he very heavily cited Whedon and that show as one of his main inspirations. Which is a big part of the reason I don't much care for NuWho, because I absolutely detest Whedonesque dialogue, and that was long before his sexual harassment/predator stuff was made public.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Can we have an "alien" companion outside of audio for once?

How about Nardol?

jisforjosh posted:

and have that be the romance plot :getin:

I said, Nardol.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yes, but as you yourself said, that's something that could be handled by automation. They'd probably have special TARDIS repair drones on hand in case of an emergency, so that the Time Lords, the ruling elite of Gallifrey, wouldn't sully their hands with something as plebian as TARDIS repair.

Gallifreyian automation doesn't seem to involve robots or servitors (though I'm a fan of the robot butlers from Lungbarrow and the like, but we'll ignore them for the sake of argument) so much as giving complex objects their own limited sentence and ability to self maintain. So their vehicles have their own minds, as do their superweapons in Silver Nemesis and Day Of The Doctor. Their internet is entirely made of brains. So, perhaps, quick fixes to this kind of technology is the equivalent of us turning a computer on and off again, or even just plugging one in -- a sort of limited level of technical expertise everyone is expected to be able to do.

That said, given how controlled TARDIS access could be I don't know if repair would be inherently considered a declasse occupation. It could be considered aspirational or quite sophisticated.

It's also worth considering that Castellan guards might be recruited on temporal missions at a moment's notice, so they might have some level of training that just comes with the job to go along with staser practice and such.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mini Boat has recently turned five and, having noticed the Christmas episode's trailer, was asking about it. It's on before his bedtime and will be required viewing in this house, but I thought I'd test him on another episode beforehand to see how he handles mild peril and settled on Eleventh Hour for the following reasons:

- Introduces a new Doctor and explains a lot of Doctorish things
- Opening is told from the perspective of a child
- Plenty of silly / funny moments with excessive running about
- The villain is threatening but nothing too overly horrific happens
- It's straight up one of the best episodes of nuWho

Anyway, he was transfixed. He was engaged from the second the TARDIS flew on screen, he loved the Doctor's post-regeneration diet, he thought Prisoner Zero in all its forms was really cool and not too scary and he's just requested to watch it again after school. For something that's over fifteen minutes long and not animated that's a huge achievement.

If I do have a budding Whovian on my hands what other episodes would be good for him to watch? Maybe some of 12's episodes in the school? I feel like some of the rest of 11's first season might be a bit heavy going for him but he knows the Doctor has lots of different faces so I'm okay with jumping around a bit.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah not that Mini Boat cares but Eleventh Hour has a great supporting cast of British sitcom legends. Annette Crosbie, Nina Wadia, Olivia Coleman before she'd won every award going. Plus Patrick Moore as himself!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

That said, given how controlled TARDIS access could be I don't know if repair would be inherently considered a declasse occupation. It could be considered aspirational or quite sophisticated.
So I think there's hints in the show that the reason the TARDIS console is shaped like that is that it's really meant to be run by a team of operators, one on each side, and my headcanon is that the standard way you are meant to use a TARDIS is to go out in your time survey team, use the scanner to check in on what's going on in whichever time zone you've gone to visit, and never actually leave unless it's an emergency.

So I imagine that TARDIS security is partially based on controlled access, partially based on the idea of TARDIS operator teams keeping each other honest, and partially based on the fact that only an absolute fool would try and operate a a TARDIS solo or with one grandchild assisting...

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Warthur posted:

So I think there's hints in the show that the reason the TARDIS console is shaped like that is that it's really meant to be run by a team of operators, one on each side...

The Doctor directly states this in Journey's End when the various companions help him fly the TARDIS

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

In Name of the Doctor we see some blue collar workers below the Citadel that seem to be Tardis mechanics/scrappers.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Party Boat posted:

The Doctor directly states this in Journey's End when the various companions help him fly the TARDIS

That's the bit I was thinking of, I forgot whether it was late 10th Doctor or early 11th.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

RTD just spoke on the Radio about Helena Bonham Carter and said she was joining the Whoniverse soon.

Interestingly he also said she was offered a previous role in the show whilst they worked on Nolly together but he asked her to turn it down as he had big plans for another role for her.

So... timeline wise does that mean she might of been offered the role of Tecteun? It's the only big role I can think of that kind of lines up?

EDIT: That doesn't line up at all now that I've checked unless he was discussing Nolly with her and knew he was returning back in 2020.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm so loving tired of every bit of media using the term universe

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whoniverse sounds like Hooniverse, and honestly it's past time the Doctor put the TARDIS on its side and slapped some wheels on it

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Infinitum posted:

Whoniverse sounds like Hooniverse, and honestly it's past time the Doctor put the TARDIS on its side and slapped some wheels on it

As drawn by Ed Roth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

RTD just spoke on the Radio about Helena Bonham Carter and said she was joining the Whoniverse soon.

Interestingly he also said she was offered a previous role in the show whilst they worked on Nolly together but he asked her to turn it down as he had big plans for another role for her.

So... timeline wise does that mean she might of been offered the role of Tecteun? It's the only big role I can think of that kind of lines up?

EDIT: That doesn't line up at all now that I've checked unless he was discussing Nolly with her and knew he was returning back in 2020.

My first thought was her being offered the role of the TARDIS from Gaiman's episode, honestly. Suranne Jones was amazing in the role as actually filmed, but it's 9000% an HBC role.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

My first thought was her being offered the role of the TARDIS from Gaiman's episode, honestly. Suranne Jones was amazing in the role as actually filmed, but it's 9000% an HBC role.

I thought that too but unless Russel has been planning his return for a long time why would he tell her not to take that as something better is coming along?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Sugar skull in Flux maybe?

Edit: oh wait that's got the same issue as Tecteun. I thought flux was much more recent lol

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 19, 2023

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Sugar skull in Flux maybe?

Edit: oh wait that's got the same issue as Tecteun. I thought flux was much more recent lol

Me too. I googled it and it was years ago now.

Outside, wild card guess, she was going to be who Jodie regenerated into when that scene was the last we'd see of Doctor Who for a long while.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn’t be mad at HBC as 16.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Hang in who's Russell kidding here? He bloody loves recasting people in more important roles later!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

2021 was the announcement RTD was returning. I suppose she might have read for something on RTD’s production but he told her to wait?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

I guess if you really wanted to you could retcon it to being just the citadel he destroyed?

I always figured that Gallifrey was inhabited by Gallifreyans, and the Citadel was the capital and held most of the Time Lords, the ruling class.
I'd be fine with that.

I maintain that the idea of the aristocracy of Gallifrey stealing everything that made them special was actually a fine idea, but the way Chibnall did it was just horrible.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Barry Foster posted:

Thirteen was a woefully underdeveloped character

I dunno once the Flux season made her into a disaster lesbian it all kinda "clicked" for me

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Watching The Hungry Earth and Chibnall having the Silurian black ops team wearing lizardy masks is so silly. Does he think human special forces wear monkey masks?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I forgot Chibnall wrote those Silurian episodes. I also forgot everything about the episodes, which I always seem to with Chibnall. I don't know why he slides off my brain so much. That whole Flux arc, I barely remember anything about it at all. Sugar skull? Was that one of the baddies? I have no idea at all!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Sugar Skull Gang was one of the high points of the Chibnall era because they at least seemed to be leaning with relish into the campiness of it all.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Watching the Yentob RTD hagiography. I don't know if you can get this if you don't have iPlayer but it's worth watching I think (even if, as I say, it's a bit of a positive vibes only BBC soft focus style thing).

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The Silurian two-parter also has a weird-arse thing where Amy keeps insisting that she's "dressed for Rio" and everyone else comments on how she's lightly dressed but... she's just dressed normally. Short shorts, sure, but she's wearing a wool knitted top and a leather jacket and Rory's got two shirts on and a puffer jacket. It's like there was a first draft where she's in a bikini for the whole thing and Gillan said "...no" but they didn't edit the script accordingly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

lines posted:

Watching the Yentob RTD hagiography. I don't know if you can get this if you don't have iPlayer but it's worth watching I think (even if, as I say, it's a bit of a positive vibes only BBC soft focus style thing).

Does Yentob do anything else?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

2house2fly posted:

I forgot Chibnall wrote those Silurian episodes. I also forgot everything about the episodes, which I always seem to with Chibnall. I don't know why he slides off my brain so much. That whole Flux arc, I barely remember anything about it at all. Sugar skull? Was that one of the baddies? I have no idea at all!

All I remember of the Silurian episodes is drilling and Rory trips (?) or something and gets eaten by the crack in the skin of the universe

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I just remember the second episode starting off with a narration by the....scientist lizard guy? about how this was a story of the doctor's loss, but at the end Rory is erased so no one remembers him?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

lines posted:

RTD hagiography

Ugh

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Fil5000 posted:

Does Yentob do anything else?

Oh to be clear I meant "Yentob hagiography" as a particular description, all one phrase. Man can do a back-slapping puff piece! Someone has to.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

All I remember of the Silurian episodes is drilling and Rory trips (?) or something and gets eaten by the crack in the skin of the universe
Is shot to death by a Silurian but I can see why you would forget that, given that he then gets crackgobbled anyway which overshadows what the Silurian did.

There's a really weird thing about that two-parter where about 14-15 minutes into the first episode the Doctor declares that they have about 12 minutes before the Silurians arrive topside, and then around 25-27 minutes into the episode they show up. It's approximate - the Doctor was making a rough guess, after all - but it's basically a stretch of the episode which is trying to do real time.

The thing is, the Doctor and Amy and Rory and their buddies-of-the-week do an absolutely wild amount of preparation in that 12 minutes - putting up cameras all over the place, drawing actually quite detailed and nice-looking maps, and so on and so forth. It'd be really quite hard to actually do all that stuff in 12 minutes!

It feels like it would have been trivial to say "an hour" or "half an hour" and it would have made no plot difference and it would have avoided this incongruous note entirely - there's a force dome over the village so they can't leave, and 30-6o minutes seems to be the right amount of time for a very motivated group of people to just about do all the stuff they do. I don't get why they don't just say "half an hour", unless the point was to do a real-time bit, as a callback to Chibnall doing 42, an episode which unfolds in real time as a sort of Doctor Who take on 24.

Except... that was also pointless. 24 was impressive because it was a 24 hour story and maintained the realtime schtick across its entire span. A 42 minute story doing the same thing is less interesting, especially in science fiction TV, where even if there's not been many stories where it's explicitly been the point that the whole thing takes place in real time, there's been plenty of episodes of television where it might as well have taken place in real time (or could be interpreted as such with trivial script adjustments). Like, off the top of my head you could have the action of The End of the World happen in real time, and that's the second episode of new-Who.

So the Silurian story is doing a watered-down, less challenging version of the thing Chibnall did with 42, which in and of itself is a fundamentally unimpressive feat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That two parter has a lot of really blatant last minute edits to it, which resulted in poo poo like the Doctor banging on about how much he adores the child vivisectionist.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Oh that's why its called 42.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Those are both Moffat written 2-parters

Yeah I get that The Last of the Timelords was a thing for a while, but if 15 is a soft reboot they should reboot some Time Lords floating about as well

Said it before, but there is a perfect opportunity to have a bunch of Time Lords out there when they open that crack to give 11 back more regenerations. Gallifrey was hiding, but the Time Lords that had spent a lot of time off world before the Time War and were then trapped on world in Day of the Doctor because they had all been called back to fight? Those ones would have been waiting for the first chance they got to get out and the crack opening would have given them that chance.

Don't even need to put all that in the show, just have it in the back pocket when an explanation is needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
tbh I assume they'd have mostly been purged under Rassilon.