Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Salt Fish posted:

Every ad I get is for deodorant but I don't even wear it, so I feel like internet ad targeting has completely failed.

Lmao even the algorithm thinks you smell bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Smell-O-Vision is real and it's being used to target you for deodorant sales

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

euphronius posted:

People are jumping to criticize the statement “advertising doesn’t work” when the effort posts above were limited to internet advertising

Internet ads are definitely useless but I think people vastly overestimate the reach and influence of ads in other forms. We don't exactly have a control group to compare consumer choices to

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
GAS PUMP ADS THAT SCREAM AT YOU AS YOUR CAR IS BEING FILLED UP

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Philthy posted:

Those ads are very successful at getting me to go to other gas stations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

cat botherer posted:

Those ads are very successful at getting me to go to other gas stations.

You can just jam your keys in the speaker. Just try not to jam them through the speaker because then you can hear them again. The goal is right up against the speaker.

If you find a gas station that somehow prevents access to the speaker, the answer is domestic terrorism.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
I have so little trust for modern capitalism that I'm going to spend $100 at a lumber yard and then build a bed for my kid rather than buy something composed of sawdust and used motor oil.
Yeah I just booked up all my free time for the next week, but drat it at least I'll know that that bed isn't poisoning my family or about to fall apart.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

You can just jam your keys in the speaker. Just try not to jam them through the speaker because then you can hear them again. The goal is right up against the speaker.

If you find a gas station that somehow prevents access to the speaker, the answer is domestic terrorism.

Sometimes one of the buttons is an undocumented mute button.

Anyway, I usually wash my windows while the gas pumps so doesn't matter what the screen is doing.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Milwaukee permanent makers are legit great for writing on dirty/oily surfaces so consider this post a twofer on how to label a gas pump's mute button and an example of brands mattering to a point

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 19, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Peter Falk posted:

I have so little trust for modern capitalism that I'm going to spend $100 at a lumber yard and then build a bed for my kid rather than buy something composed of sawdust and used motor oil.
Yeah I just booked up all my free time for the next week, but drat it at least I'll know that that bed isn't poisoning my family or about to fall apart.

Good parent

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

shazbot posted:

advertising definitely works on me when I’m watching something on Hulu and it shows me the same ad 14 times during the same movie. Around the 10th time I’m just annoyed but you better believe that 11th time really seals the deal.

Hulu is just an example. It’s everywhere. The ads are so (targeted? Shame on me?) that it’s the same goddamn ads over and over again. And rather than just not repeat ads they’d rather just beat you in the face with them

Yeah about the only place I actually see ads anymore is on Duolingo (because that is not a good enough learning tool to pay for) and it's the same one or two ads over and over for the ~15 min I use the app per day, changing every couple of days, and just... Who is the person doing the research that obviously says "seeing the same ad 5 times in a 15 minute period makes the human cattle remember your brand" versus the reality: seeing the same ad 5 times in a 15 minute period irritates me, makes me associate your brand with wasting my time, and ensures I won't buy anything from you even if it would save my drat life.
(e: of course I mean commercial-style video ads; still image advertising is loving everywhere and I'm not wandering through public spaces angrily staring at the ground so I don't see the adverts plastered on all sides of every surface. Not yet, anyway.)

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 19, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Peter Falk posted:

I'm going to assume you haven't checked the price of wood lately if you think you can do this for $100.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah about the only place I actually see ads anymore is on Duolingo (because that is not a good enough learning tool to pay for) and it's the same one or two ads over and over for the ~15 min I use the app per day, changing every couple of days, and just... Who is the person doing the research that obviously says "seeing the same ad 5 times in a 15 minute period makes the human cattle remember your brand" versus the reality: seeing the same ad 5 times in a 15 minute period irritates me, makes me associate your brand with wasting my time, and ensures I won't buy anything from you even if it would save my drat life.
(e: of course I mean commercial-style video ads; still image advertising is loving everywhere and I'm not wandering through public spaces angrily staring at the ground so I don't see the adverts plastered on all sides of every surface. Not yet, anyway.)

Duilingo Revanced sorts this out pretty handily fwiw

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to assume you haven't checked the price of wood lately if you think you can do this for $100.

The lumber itself has gotten shittier too, at most places the overwhelming majority of boards will be warped or split.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My parents bought a new couch during the pandemic and it didn't arrive until 10 months later because the manufacturer wasn't able to find affordable good lumber

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bradzilla posted:

This. Advertising isn't just the overt commercials you see/hear, it's loving EVERYWHERE. Logos are plastered on literally everything for a reason.

Big reason I like to live where there's more trees than people. God damnit it's awful when ads are everywhere you look.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Dip Viscous posted:

The lumber itself has gotten shittier too, at most places the overwhelming majority of boards will be warped or split.

The big box stores don't carry 3/4" plywood anymore, it's all 11/16"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

A lot of wood was imported from Russia and that got closed off. Wood is a mess right now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

A lot of wood was imported from Russia and that got closed off. Wood is a mess right now.

I got a lot of wood up here if you truly need it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redshirt posted:

I got a lot of wood up here if you truly need it.

Only if it's a mess. :wink:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Salt Fish posted:

Every ad I get is for deodorant but I don't even wear it, so I feel like internet ad targeting has completely failed.

They're great at advertising poo poo to you after you already bought it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jelly posted:

They're great at advertising poo poo to you after you already bought it.

I did marketing for a sunglasses "brand" (they were just importing cheap sunglasses from china with a custom logo printed on them to make them seem "luxury") and this was such a dumb thing to deal with. When people are shopping for sunglasses they just buy a pair of sunglasses, they don't spend days or weeks or whatever considering all of their choices. So all the targeted ads would target people who "have an interest in sunglasses" which means people who searched for (and already bought) sunglasses recently. In the end it was more helpful to target people who had never shown an interest in sunglasses because that probably meant that they didn't have any sunglasses and could use some.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Only if it's a mess. :wink:

Logs falling sideways all over the place.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Random Stranger posted:

Your right it was $103.something with tax, but yeah any wood product pricing is so loving dumb. I'm considering getting a chainsaw mill and dropping some ash that I need to clear anyway. At least that way I could prep it exactly how I want.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Philthy posted:

I think my gas station hosed something up because the ads are always playing except they stop when you start filling up.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

spebding a substantial, considerable amount of time posting about, thinking about, and talking about ads. ftw

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Random Stranger posted:

Just goes to show that however skeptical someone is about capitalism, there's always that little bit more you could be doubting.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

Diet Poison posted:

This was in my post, the answer is there is no research, the evidence is that it doesn’t work, and it’s being kept afloat by stubbornness + the same few companies selling ad space back and forth in higher valuation, which is a scam bubble like 2008. I did read about how people don’t pay attention on the internet as a result so I had that coming. Buy cokey cola

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't care if I win or lose!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

deep dish peat moss posted:

My parents bought a new couch during the pandemic and it didn't arrive until 10 months later because the manufacturer wasn't able to find affordable good lumber

i was working at a furniture company that started up during the pandemic and i saw first hand the prices going crazy and the wood getting shittier. that company is no longer in business

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Canonically, Mario had plans to take his girlfriend to WrestleMania.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I keep seeing ads for pizza hut and dominos lately. Like almost all ads on youtube are for those two things in the last week or so. Not gonna lie, it was making me hungry for pizza.

I ordered pizza from somewhere else. I don't particularly have anything against those two chains (UK, don't know how it compares) but there's a local place that does doner meat, fresh crushed garlic and actually spicy chillis as toppings, so I ordered from there.

Which leads me to the other thing that got shittier: no premade/fast food that says 'hot' or 'spicy' on it is hot or spicy anymore. A bit like sour candy. Did we all collectively just get too desensitised to spice/sour stuff and that's why it sucks now, or is it actually worse? Thankfully there are still decent hot sauces that aren't the gimmicky "rear end blaster 5000" kind of bullshit that actually taste of something as well as having a bit of heat, but it sucks I can't just take something off the supermarket shelf, heat it up and have something that has a bit of a kick to it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/gim01lD.jpg

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I keep seeing ads for pizza hut and dominos lately. Like almost all ads on youtube are for those two things in the last week or so. Not gonna lie, it was making me hungry for pizza.

I ordered pizza from somewhere else. I don't particularly have anything against those two chains (UK, don't know how it compares) but there's a local place that does doner meat, fresh crushed garlic and actually spicy chillis as toppings, so I ordered from there.

Which leads me to the other thing that got shittier: no premade/fast food that says 'hot' or 'spicy' on it is hot or spicy anymore. A bit like sour candy. Did we all collectively just get too desensitised to spice/sour stuff and that's why it sucks now, or is it actually worse? Thankfully there are still decent hot sauces that aren't the gimmicky "rear end blaster 5000" kind of bullshit that actually taste of something as well as having a bit of heat, but it sucks I can't just take something off the supermarket shelf, heat it up and have something that has a bit of a kick to it.

You're getting old, friend.

Me? I just started really liking spicy foods. Nothing rear end in a top hat puckering but I like a good sweat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Quote-Unquote posted:

It is very very much the exact opposite. At least in the US.

Good luck getting anything spicier than black pepper 50 years ago. Now you can get a single spicy chip at a gas station and die.

I, thankfully, attribute immigration to it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Beastie posted:

You're getting old, friend.

Me? I just started really liking spicy foods. Nothing rear end in a top hat puckering but I like a good sweat.

I am nearly 40 so yeah, maybe. I've loved spicy food my entire life, despite being the whitest British guy. My mum was never a big fan of spicy food but she tells me that she started getting a massive craving for it while she was pregnant. I was born two weeks early, on a day when the hospital was offering patients chilli con carne as a special (I arrived 10 minutes before lunch was due to be served, according to my mum. She did not have the chilli).

Having had covid 3 times has probably not helped my tastebuds.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It is very very much the exact opposite. At least in the US.

Good luck getting anything spicier than black pepper 50 years ago. Now you can get a single spicy chip at a gas station and die.

I, thankfully, attribute immigration to it.

We sometimes get a limited run of spicy crisps (chips) that are pretty spicy, but they always go off the market after about a month. I did see a British guy do that one-chip challenge thing and the dude was in tears. Cost him like £30 for a single tortilla chip to be imported, which is just loving silly - and I don't want something gimmickly hot, just enough to get a bit of a sweat and some endorphins going. I have some capsaicin extract that I use if I'm cooking a big batch of food because you literally only want one or two drops across several meals. I put two drops into a single serving of soup once and I did not have a good time.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 20, 2023

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Quote-Unquote posted:

Do you have Mexican products there? Just find any Mexican hot sauce with habaneros and you can’t go wrong.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Internet Old One posted:

Do you have Mexican products there? Just find any Mexican hot sauce with habaneros and you can’t go wrong.

In terms of hot sauces, yeah, that's no problem. I'm talking more about pre-packaged food, or stuff from fast food restaurants. So many things say that they're spicy but it's like... well, I guess this might have been in the same room as some paprika once.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I am nearly 40 so yeah, maybe. I've loved spicy food my entire life, despite being the whitest British guy. My mum was never a big fan of spicy food but she tells me that she started getting a massive craving for it while she was pregnant. I was born two weeks early, on a day when the hospital was offering patients chilli con carne as a special (I arrived 10 minutes before lunch was due to be served, according to my mum. She did not have the chilli).

This is a really heartwarming story. Almost out of a children's book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Beastie posted:

This is a really heartwarming story. Almost out of a children's book.

Unfortunately I was born with pyloric stenosis, which meant that food could not leave my stomach to the rest of my digestive tract until they could operate to fix it. So despite my probable desire to eat chilli, I vomited huge amounts after every meal.

This is a thing that has not gotten shittier, because it's now a really trivial keyhole surgery to solve, whereas I have a large indented scar in my abdomen. Medical science in general is loving amazing nowadays. Shame the UK healthcare system is being destroyed by our government :(