Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

Unironically and with no shade wondering which match you put over it.

Randy Orton vs Daniel Bryan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SirDippingSauce posted:

Here's something I never quite understood that both AEW and WWE seem to require ther champions to do: lugging around the championship belt and being responsible for it. Like as bagge and luggage, and keeping it with them. It's an expensive item and forget about having too much beer at a steak house and leaving in your Uber or something like Jericho did, or instances where a WWE guy has left their championship somewhere... airlines screw up and lose luggage all the time. Even if it's just a replica title, and there is a special version of the belt to be used on TV... like, why require them to do this? Why not hold on to the replica not-as-good-for-tv title and only give or send it out with them if they know they're doing some kind of local media appearance or meet and greet or signing or something and then take it back when those are done.

Like if it's some kind of "prove you're responsible" act I can maybe see why WWE still does it. But why would AEW need to stick with that too?

It's just wrestling tradition, you want your champ to look cool and important in public. This stuff has predated WWE and AEW by decades, and will continue long afterwards.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Benne posted:

It's just wrestling tradition, you want your champ to look cool and important in public. This stuff has predated WWE and AEW by decades, and will continue long afterwards.

Airport security is always impressed when I pull out my Fiend championship belt

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I wanna say Paul Wight told a story about getting ribbed as WCW champ by someone telling him he was expected to wear the belt through the airport when travelling and so he did it, but I could be misremembering the wrestler

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Sandman McMahon posted:

Airport security is always impressed when I pull out my Fiend championship belt

and they show it by taking me aside for "random screenings" to ask me more about this very normal belt

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

History Comes Inside! posted:

I wanna say Paul Wight told a story about getting ribbed as WCW champ by someone telling him he was expected to wear the belt through the airport when travelling and so he did it, but I could be misremembering the wrestler

That sounds right. Maybe it was Nash or Hall that told him to do it. Somehow I remember Sting being the one to pull him aside and smarten him up.

But if it was me I’d be wearing that drat thing to the grocery store, the laundromat, everywhere.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just once I want to see a wrestler get trousers made with belt loops big enough to take the championship belt.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jeff Jarrett’s weird strappy gear

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Jeff Jarrett’s weird strappy gear

That outfit took me from “I don’t want to see this person on my tv anymore” to “I don’t want this person to exist anymore.”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
gently caress both of you for reminding me that JJ exists.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

gently caress both of you for reminding me that's J-E-Double F...J-A-Double R-E-Double T

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Ain't he great.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

gently caress both of you for reminding me that JJ exists.

BREE WOO BREE WOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Kkn0RuQns

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Numero6 posted:

Ain't he great.

Is there any correlation to the amount of musical instruments he has destroyed and the amount of tickets he has sold to wrestling events?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Jeff Jarrett rules now, keep up with the times!!!!

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Yeah, weird strappy gear Jeff Jarrett is dead. New Texas Chainsaw Massacre Champion Jeff Jarrett is alive and rules.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Is there any correlation to the amount of musical instruments he has destroyed and the amount of tickets he has sold to wrestling events?

Looks like uncle Jim isn’t completely drunk yet tonight.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Every jj match in aew has been fun and has the right finish

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm surprised they even had a belt that tiny.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Never drew a dime dot gif

Shard posted:

Every jj match in aew has been fun and has the right finish

It’s crazy that this is an accurate statement

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Jarrett is definitely one of the people that AEW have brought in that I've been thinking "Do they really need this person in this position or even in the company?" who not too long after made me change my mind and think "I'm glad this person is here."

Sting, Christian, and Big Bill are the others and they've all been fantastic in their roles.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah Jeff Jarrett turning out to be a fantastic hire was on absolutely nobody’s bingo card when he debuted.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah Jeff Jarrett turning out to be a fantastic hire was on absolutely nobody’s bingo card when he debuted.

Unless you were one of the believers who remembered Double-J Double-M-A, the greatest segment in TNA history :hai:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Double-J has always worked best as a midcard/upper-midcard slimy dickhead heel. His biggest fault was being overexposed and overpushed in latter-days WCW and early TNA. As one of the guys that mainevented PPVs going into the foundation of TNA, I guess it made sense that they'd want to structure the show around him, but he clung on to the top of the card for far too long.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't wait for him to leave AEW so that I can watch AEW.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

edogawa rando posted:

Double-J has always worked best as a midcard/upper-midcard slimy dickhead heel. His biggest fault was being overexposed and overpushed in latter-days WCW and early TNA. As one of the guys that mainevented PPVs going into the foundation of TNA, I guess it made sense that they'd want to structure the show around him, but he clung on to the top of the card for far too long.

Yeah, JJ's shtick only works when you know it will backfire on him at some point. When he won all the time, it sucked and made watching TNA feel pointless.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

edogawa rando posted:

As one of the guys that mainevented PPVs going into the foundation of TNA, I guess it made sense that they'd want to structure the show around him

"They" was him. Jeff and his brother founded the company, and he owned a stake in the company for many years. And hey, why trust someone else to be the champion of your wrestling company, when you can do it yourself? Those other guys could bolt for WWE next week! And to be fair, yeah, he was arguably the biggest established name in TNA at the time.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

rujasu posted:

"They" was him. Jeff and his brother founded the company, and he owned a stake in the company for many years. And hey, why trust someone else to be the champion of your wrestling company, when you can do it yourself? Those other guys could bolt for WWE next week! And to be fair, yeah, he was arguably the biggest established name in TNA at the time.
Jerry Jarrett was Jeff's father, not brother. But you're correct that NWA:TNA used old territory logic to focus on one of the owners/bookers since they were way less likely to jump ship than anyone else.

But also: NWA:TNA was founded in May 2022 (with Jerry being the main stakeholder) and he sold controlling interest to Dixie Carter/Panda Energy only a few months later in October 2002 and Jeff won the world title in November. His reigns were:

1. November 20, 2002 to June 11, 2003 (defeating Ron Killings)
2. October 22, 2003 to April 21, 2004 (defeating AJ Styles)
3. June 2, 2004 to May 15, 2005 (defeating Ron Killings, Ray Gonzalez 'won' the belt in Puerto Rico for a day during this run)
4. September 15, 2005 to February 12, 2006 (Rhino won the belt as a substitute for Kevin Nash and then dropped it back to Jarrett two days later during this reign)
5. June 18, 2006 to October 22, 2006 (defeating Christian Cage)

During those reigns, Jarrett successfully defended the belt against Ron Killings, Nathan Jones, Curt Henning, Road Dogg, Christopher Daniels, Don Harris, AJ Styles, D-Lo Brown, Raven, Disco Inferno, Chris Harris, Dustin Rhodes, Apolo/El Leon, Jeff Hardy, Monty Brown, Kevin Nash, Elix Skipper, Sting, Diamond Dallas Page, Slyck Wagner Brown, Tully Blanchard, Dory Funk Jr., Rhino, Samoa Joe, Sabu, Abyss, and Jay Lethal. All of those victories came after his dad sold the company, and also while it was still technically the NWA world championship. Other than the TNA King of the Mountain Title (fka Legends Title, fka Global Title, fka Television Title) he never actually held a "TNA title", though he did somehow main event at Lockdown 2007, Sacrifice 2007, Slammiversary 2007, Lockdown 2010, Slammiversary 2011, and Slammiversary 2015 though they were all multimans except the 2011 which was the blowoff of the Jarrett/Angle MMA Dad feud.

So on some level Jarrett's Reign of Terror did not last as long as I remembered it lasting, but it was still basically four years which is four years too many, but also pretty much all of it happened after his dad peaced out and I guess he convinced Dixie Carter to focus on him even more?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

why's it called the TNA kick anyway

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Basically, what happened was that there was less of a spotlight on Jeff once TNA was getting real money from Spike TV. IOW: When they started to be able to sign people to long-term contracts and there was less of a need to build around "the one person who won't leave."

neoaxd posted:

why's it called the TNA kick anyway
The way it was explained to me when I first heard a wrestler call "TNA Kick" and I asked about it was that, at the peak of the X Division — especially during Motor City Machine Guns matches — it was constantly used as a cutoff spot. So someone started calling "TNA Kick," everyone understood what it was, and it stuck.

I forget who it was, but I've heard a story of a wrestler calling "TNA Kick" in front of Scott D'Amore and then preemptively apologizing when he saw D'Amore's reaction.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

But also: NWA:TNA was founded in May 2022 (with Jerry being the main stakeholder) and he sold controlling interest to Dixie Carter/Panda Energy only a few months later in October 2002 and Jeff won the world title in November.

Have any other wrestlers been time travelers that we know of? Surely Vince would've been all over that kind of angle.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Have any other wrestlers been time travelers that we know of? Surely Vince would've been all over that kind of angle.

- Wyatt-era Daniel Bryan

- The New Day (they even had their own comic adventure about it)

- The New Breed

- Archibald Peck, thanks to the time-travel properties from Eddie Kingston's spinning backfist

- Two variants of Lance Steel

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lest we forget Tekno Team 2000. I don’t know what their gimmick was meant to be but I assume they were a tag team from the year 2000 traveling back with all of the world’s knowledge of tag team wrestling.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

Lest we forget Tekno Team 2000. I don’t know what their gimmick was meant to be but I assume they were a tag team from the year 2000 traveling back with all of the world’s knowledge of tag team wrestling.

In the mid 80's there was the New Breed who traveled back from the year 2002 and would pepper their promos with Transformers lingo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

In the mid 80's there was the New Breed who traveled back from the year 2002 and would pepper their promos with Transformers lingo.

More importantly they'd address Dusty as President Rhodes

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

Kid me thought they were the coolest looking wrestlers of all time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

neoaxd posted:

Even Erik Watts didn't think Erik Watts was the coolest looking wrestler!

In fairness, kid me was convinced Brutus Beefcake was cool so I was no better

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

harperdc posted:

I don’t know if it started specifically with AKB or was used earlier for men’s or women’s idol groups, but the contemporary usage definitely ramped up with that group from like 2008 through now. They definitely have had ‘graduation ceremony’ shows for members leaving to be solo artists and such.

Super late to the conversion, but Morning Musume was definitely using the term before AKB did.

(Now that's a group I haven't thought of in at least a decade...)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

neoaxd posted:

Same, embarrassingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

El Gallinero Gros posted:

More importantly they'd address Dusty as President Rhodes

That owns