Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, I already noticed changes in the Pixel 8 Pro charging curve vs the Pixel 7 Pro that made it quite a bit faster, but I think it's gotten even better in the December update.

I plugged it in at 63% and it shot pretty quickly up to over 27w (hiting 28w a few times) and has held that high for the past several minutes. In just 5 minutes timve I've gained 12% and it's gotten to 75%. This is very similar to what the S23U would be doing at this level of battery charge.

By comparison. I just plugged in my 7 Pro at 70% and it maxes out at 15w. The Pixel 8 Pro was pulling almost double the wattage at the same battery level.

The more I play with the P8P, the more i'm convinced this is the most substantive upgrade to a smartphone this year over the prior generation and this is coming from someone who had no issues with the P7P.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
That's kinda hilarious to me, since I went from a p6 pro to a p8 pro, and it's basically the same phone for my purposes. Don't regret the purchase at all though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I went from a pixel 4 XL, to a pixel 8, and the feel like the CPU is barely any different tbh, feels slower at times even

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I went from a pixel 4 XL, to a pixel 8, and the feel like the CPU is barely any different tbh, feels slower at times even

Curious as to in what ways it's underperforming? Apps launching slower, screen lag or jitter scrolling through apps?

Phone CPU's have been able to do what I require of them for 3 or 4 generations now, and I've had pretty much all of them since Android was A Thing. The Snapdragon 855 in my OnePlus 7 still does non-gaming tasks like a champ, but the Tensor G2 in my Pixel 7pro doesn't 'feel' faster or slower. I don't know why a Pixel 8, as mediocre as it's CPU might be relative to the current benchmark champs, would be any slower than the SD855.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Zadda posted:

Samsung has an app called Smart Switch.

I haven't used it to transfer from iOS to Android but on the Samsung site they also have an iOS version of it so I think you can use that to transfer your data (contacts, messages, photo's).

It's been a while since I used it but if I recall you just have to have the app installed on both devices.

Thanks for the info, I tried it but couldn't get my contacts to transfer properly.
I will have to export them individually and import them into the new phone. Fortunately some are no longer used so I won't have to transfer all of them.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I'm interested in the Pixel tablet at $100 off. For anybody who has one, how are the following things (if you do them):

- Reading books (mainly kindle app)
- Reading / marking up pdfs
- Using a pen? if so which one
- Performance with streaming video + games in general

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sleng Teng posted:

I'm interested in the Pixel tablet at $100 off. For anybody who has one, how are the following things (if you do them):

- Reading books (mainly kindle app)
- Reading / marking up pdfs
- Using a pen? if so which one
- Performance with streaming video + games in general

Reading is fine for me. It's no e-ink display, but it works. The battery lasts for about 12 hours so when I was using it for reading and web browsing during vacation, I could use it throughout the day and charge it at night. You could get a bunch of extra hours with a quick charge too.

I don't do PDF stuff.

I don't use a pen. I do know that it has USI 2.0 compatibility, which means you can use a stylus instead of a pen if you want.
https://www.tomsguide.com/opinion/i-tried-3-different-styluses-with-the-pixel-tablet-and-this-is-the-one-id-buy

The internals are basically a Pixel 7, so the performance results match for games. You'll probably get 10 hours of video streaming on the battery, depending on brightness.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 15, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really want to like the OnePlus Open, but the software is garbo. Pure unadulterated crap when it comes to the actual everyday function of the device. The multiwindow stuff is good, but the basic Oppo WE KNOW BETTER WHAT YOU WANT RUNNING crap ruins it.

Today, got a prompt "Google Play is using battery, optimize?" You hit the notifcation and suprise, google play is not on the sofware optimization list because of course it's not being a core function of the phone. So, you prompted me with a notification to do a thing that you really don't have to micromanage on a device but can't anyways because it's not on the list to take action on. Not that it matters because even if you tell something not to optmize, every other day it chimes up again and goes "Hey, optmize this?" gently caress you no. Rip this functionality out of the device and stop with this absurd restrictive scheduling of apps.

Also, today I tried to use it to cast Youtube TV to my Google Nest Hub in my office for background TV. I've been doing this forever, but this is the first time that I used the OnePlus Open to cast.

TV only plays for about 15 minutes before exiting. Picking up the phone and bringing the app into focus has it saying "can't play video in the background." Umm, it shouldn't be trying to do that. I've casted a full day from my Pixels before.

It tarnishes the experience so bad. It turns a device that I actually trust to do it's thing into one that I can only reliably use when I'm interacting with it. It makes it a fine enough shitposting device, but fails at being an always on device that I can count on.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What specifically feels slower?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm very happy with the P8 since I got it, but its physical design is loving stupid. The back is so slippy, and the camera bar makes it sit at such an angle, that when I place it on a surface with an angle of greater than 0 degrees it just starts scooting itself towards the nearest edge and crashes to the floor.

This will all be resolved when my case arrives I guess but still it's faintly absurd that phones are now ambulatory

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Failed Imagineer posted:

This will all be resolved when my case arrives I guess but still it's faintly absurd that phones are now ambulatory

This will conceal the phone's sentience when they eventually become self-aware and take over the world.

And I, for one, welcome our new smartphone overlords.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The battery life on this S23 is absolutely impressive to me. Coming from a 6 Pro and a 7 to this is a starting difference, and it's much smaller!

I'm kind of annoyed that I dealt with such awful battery life for so long. I didn't realize how bad it was until I went to a different platform.

The Snapdragon Gen 2 for battery management is legit. I'm probably gonna rock this phone its entire life cycle - I love it that much.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I recently purchased a pixel 6 pro refurbished and the camera app keeps crashing the phone. Gcam does the same. It seems to be happening if the focus tries to shift too fast. Google didn't turn up anything that I could find.

Would this be an issue that could be rooted out, so to speak?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I guess this is only Android adjacent. But right now when I log in to Gmail on a computer e.g. at the university, Google

Prompts both my phones to verify the login attempt (this is fine)
Sends a notification to both my phones (okay)
Emails my Google account to let me know (I guess, but like, it was verified and successful)
Emails my associated backup accounts (Real, real overkill for a verified login)

There has to be a better way to make sure I could be informed of an actual break-in without hearing eight different new message requests I have to deal with. But the only way I can see how to do that is to just turn off stuff that would actually be useful in case someone got my password.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Naylenas posted:

I recently purchased a pixel 6 pro refurbished and the camera app keeps crashing the phone. Gcam does the same. It seems to be happening if the focus tries to shift too fast. Google didn't turn up anything that I could find.

Would this be an issue that could be rooted out, so to speak?

Maybe? I'd try a factory reset before I'd resort to rooting.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just switched over to a Samsung Note10 after my second Pixel 7 got locked (used purchase and "last guy didn't pay their bill" or something IDK). They threw in a free case but it's one of those ones with the little pop-out ring on the back, and I think it's preventing my wireless charger from working. Is this gonna happen with any case or just the ones with the metal doohickey on them? I don't really want to have to take my phone out of its case every time I want to charge it. Thanks!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Probably just the metal ring interfering with the charging coils, and it probably adds thickness right over the coils too where you don't want it. 10-ish dollars should get you a cheapy TPU spigen or something that won't interfere with wireless charging.

E: I charge my Pixel through a caseology Athlex and it's quite a meaty case, no metal bits though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The popout ring thing will prevent wireless charging due to size/distance from the charger more than the presence of metal. They're just too big.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Blurb3947 posted:

Maybe? I'd try a factory reset before I'd resort to rooting.

Factory reset and I'm seeing the same issue. It didn't seem to manifest until my apps finished downloading, so I think my next move is to reset and then start from scratch with app installations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's funny, with all the bellyaching that was done about Pixel charging the past two generations, the tech press is virtually silent on how much it has improved for the 8 series.

I've seen my Pixel 8 Pro hold 27-28w (hitting 30 a few times) all the way into the mid 70% range and only then backing off to around 20w. It was even charging at 15w above 90% which was unheard of for a Pixel. It only really dropped down to sub 10w in the last 5% or so. Pixel 7 Pro would only hold around 23w for 15 minutes or so before backing off to 15-18w and then it would drop to the 10-12 range above 80% and sub 10w above 90%.

Even the normal 8 was doing something similar, just maxing out around 24w. Just this morning I saw it go from 43% to 78% with the normal Pixel 8 in about 20 minutes of charging which is on par with the Galaxy series. Yeah, it's still not OnePlus/Oppo/Xiaomi charging speeds, but it's about as good as can be expected and still be USB-PD standards compliant.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Got my Pixel 8 Pro today (it is a nice phone!) but not the trade in kit. Does that come separately?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Mental Hospitality posted:

Got my Pixel 8 Pro today (it is a nice phone!) but not the trade in kit. Does that come separately?

This post just made realize that I never got mine lmao

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

hark posted:

This post just made realize that I never got mine lmao

That seems problematic!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Mine came as a separate package, a day or so later.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

spincube posted:

Mine came as a separate package, a day or so later.

same, I got a separate email from google about it

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Swinging by to voice my mild annoyance that Samsung always downloads 3 to 4 game apps every time a new security update comes out.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

OhFunny posted:

Swinging by to voice my mild annoyance that Samsung always downloads 3 to 4 game apps every time a new security update comes out.

What game apps? I don't think my S21+ has ever downloaded a game as part of a security update.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What game apps? I don't think my S21+ has ever downloaded a game as part of a security update.

Just a bunch of random crap every time. Did you get yours unlocked or through a carrier? I got mine from a discount deal with Verizon.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Just a bunch of random crap every time. Did you get yours unlocked or through a carrier? I got mine from a discount deal with Verizon.

Maybe that's a Verizon thing. Now here's something odd. I have an unlocked Pixel from the Google store and use USMobile which is a Verizon MVNO, even shows Verizon as the mobile network. When I setup my Pixel 8 it took the liberty of installing at least one Verizon app which is completely useless to me, as I have a USMobile account, not a Verizon account.

Maybe carrier locked phones install even more of their crap?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Maybe that's a Verizon thing. Now here's something odd. I have an unlocked Pixel from the Google store and use USMobile which is a Verizon MVNO, even shows Verizon as the mobile network. When I setup my Pixel 8 it took the liberty of installing at least one Verizon app which is completely useless to me, as I have a USMobile account, not a Verizon account.

They do. My grandfather had an A32 A51, or something similar, through Verizon. He did an update and a bunch of games and poo poo he'd never use just appeared on the phone, the increasingly weird and targeted ads he was getting in like the weather app didn't help things either. He's extremely tech-illiterate and it freaked him out so bad that my dad bought him an iPhone.

Any time I've gotten a carrier-locked phone, especially a Samsung one, the first thing I've done is replace the ROM on the device with the unlocked version. Of course this is no longer a problem as I just buy direct from the manufacturer now.

Guess it was at least still going on as of June of this year: https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-stop-installing-apps-without-permission/

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 21, 2023

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that even unlocked pixels have the Verizon app hidden away in them just in case it's needed. But I might just be hallucinating that memory.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Android can download carrier apps upon SIM install.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Android can download carrier apps upon SIM install.

I figured the carrier phones would. I think carrier apps plus Brick Breaker! Bubble Toucher! Jewel Jank! is kinda bullshit though. But deep down we all know why.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 21, 2023

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I figured the carrier phones would. I think carrier apps plus Brick Breaker! Bubble Toucher! Jewel Jank! is kinda bullshit though. But deep down we all know why.

Good lord, its a hellscape. My UK Fold 5 from the Samsung store has nothing like this. American carriers seem like a horror show

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Alan_Shore posted:

Good lord, its a hellscape. America seems like a horror show

Yeah pretty much

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Alan_Shore posted:

Good lord, its a hellscape. My UK Fold 5 from the Samsung store has nothing like this. American carriers seem like a horror show

You misspelled capitalist utopia.

Obviously monetizing literally everything is in the best interest of all.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

You misspelled capitalist utopia.

Did I? Are you sure?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Alan_Shore posted:

Did I? Are you sure?

Did I not make the sarcasm quite thick enough?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe not the right thread but I've got a question wrt Gmail notifications on android. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S10 and im trying to figure out how to get my Gmail to notify me when I get new emails. I get notifications for youtube comments and such but nothing when I get an actual email sent to my inbox. I checked my notification settings and everything looks to be turned on so I'm unsure if I've accidentally messed with a setting on my phone that is preventing notices from appearing. My outlook and Samsung inboxes for my work emails work fine for notifications, just my Gmail inbox doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe not the right thread but I've got a question wrt Gmail notifications on android. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S10 and im trying to figure out how to get my Gmail to notify me when I get new emails. I get notifications for youtube comments and such but nothing when I get an actual email sent to my inbox. I checked my notification settings and everything looks to be turned on so I'm unsure if I've accidentally messed with a setting on my phone that is preventing notices from appearing. My outlook and Samsung inboxes for my work emails work fine for notifications, just my Gmail inbox doesn't.

Check to see if you got some battery optimisation thing stopping gmail running in the background.