Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

that first credits theme still owns

netflix doesnt have the op because of licensing issues presumably, but the ed does own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

hilariously it also got an audio version with naruto and sasukes actual voice actors.

lmao badass

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I don't understand how you can believe you'd get away with ripping off one of the biggest properties in the world. At least rename them to Fredo and Gandolfini.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

hilariously it also got an audio version with naruto and sasukes actual voice actors.

:kiss:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

stalin hit by a truck and wakes up in anime world where only a true communist can save them from the evil imperial capitalist pigs

I mean this is basically the plot to Overlord, pointless ethnic cleansing and all.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

netflix doesnt have the op because of licensing issues presumably, but the ed does own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_el2XhI8s

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Re the Jocat situation I lost track of it but someone expressed incredulity that Jocat could actually have been bullied off the internet for being too straight without it making headline news because it affirms the beliefs of horrible bigots who think the straights are being oppressed. I’d like to give the answer to that quandary: Jocat is gender non-conforming and wears bows and scarves and skirts and does not hate trans people, so those horrible bigots like that this is happening to him and think he deserves it. It doesn’t matter that it technically goes against what they claim to believe.

It can sometimes be easy to get into the mindset that being queer is like being part of a cool club. In many ways, it is, because lots of very brave people have worked super hard to make it that way, and it rules!!! However, it is also just a word for a type of person that lots of people super hate and want to kill. If we decide that people with a certain type of label don’t belong in the former (bi people, ace people, genderqueer people, or even gnc cishets!) that absolutely does not mean they stop being the latter.

Endorph posted:

I can’t tell whether this is more or less ridiculous than that time some people somehow got Jaleel White to do voicework for their terrible Sonic fan film. On the one hand, this sounds much bigger, but on the other hand, it seems likely that the voice actors in this case did not know it was originally fan fiction.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Ariong posted:

Re the Jocat situation I lost track of it but someone expressed incredulity that Jocat could actually have been bullied off the internet for being too straight without it making headline news because it affirms the beliefs of horrible bigots who think the straights are being oppressed. I’d like to give the answer to that quandary: Jocat is gender non-conforming and wears bows and scarves and skirts and does not hate trans people, so those horrible bigots like that this is happening to him and think he deserves it. It doesn’t matter that it technically goes against what they claim to believe.

It can sometimes be easy to get into the mindset that being queer is like being part of a cool club. In many ways, it is, because lots of very brave people have worked super hard to make it that way, and it rules!!! However, it is also just a word for a type of person that lots of people super hate and want to kill. If we decide that people with a certain type of label don’t belong in the former (bi people, ace people, genderqueer people, or even gnc cishets!) that absolutely does not mean they stop being the latter.

There's also that weird contingent of puriteen types wandering around Twitter who don't really seem to fall neatly into the left/right political dichotomy, but don't like when people are being too openly horny.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Hey you know who makes online content? Tom Green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOliuYO-byo

Huh, as he ages, Tom Green is kinda starting to look like James Spader with a bad hangover.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

There's also that weird contingent of puriteen types wandering around Twitter who don't really seem to fall neatly into the left/right political dichotomy, but don't like when people are being too openly horny.

theyre leftist on queer rights issues legally but insanely conservative on actual social performance

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
A group that genuinely doesn't care what you get up to so long as you do it behind closed doors

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Nazzadan posted:

She's since reactivated and gave a pretty "im pissed off about this" apology but yeah idk this whole thing tilts me because it was just a woman trying to make a joke which was taken completely seriously and at face value by its not intended audience and then you suddenly had the most uwu soft bean softy accounts telling her to kill herself over and over.

The joke was at JoCat's expense even before the plagiarism/content theft angle factored (stupidly) in. It's a caae of lolcow-farming behavior and ZSC shouldn't have done it from first principles - none of which excuses the harassment she received in return, to be clear.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Reading JoCat's post again I think it's pretty clear the actual IRL harassment occured in one of the previous blowups over this video and this latest incident was just sorta a "i dont want to deal with this anymore" which does suck that he got chased off but it's bringing an insane amount of heat down on people that made fun of the video this last time around and blaming people like Claire for his family getting the questionable mail (which is like, not possible? There was a day or two between her tweet and his tweet mail literally wouldn't have arrived in time lol). I also have seen burner chud accounts mass tagging trans posters with hateful content blaming them for JoCat quitting which is pretty clearly not aligned with his beliefs so this probably just got hijacked by opportunists that wanted to be real lovely.

DoctorWhat posted:

The joke was at JoCat's expense even before the plagiarism/content theft angle factored (stupidly) in. It's a caae of lolcow-farming behavior and ZSC shouldn't have done it from first principles - none of which excuses the harassment she received in return, to be clear.

I agree, she was making a mean joke and I also agree she shouldn't receive harassment over it. It's another conversation altogether if you should be able to make mean jokes like that about a content creator bigger than you and to me it brings up the concept of punching up

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 19, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Clerical Terrors posted:

If you don't do it there's a chance the empty spaces you leave will be filled in by scandalmongers and whatever weird narratives they come up with. But more than that it's probably just the person wanting to vent.

Why the gently caress would anyone care though? Let them speculate. Venting, sure, but it isn't any different than my irate boomer mom telling the underpaid clerk she's never going back to that store ever again like it's some kind of flex.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
did someone say radically progressive on gender and social issues while also being against sex in all its forms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySrpKMlhG2c

looping back to good history YT channels, this guy and Religion For Breakfast do pretty good coverage of old and new religious movements

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

its kinda a stretch to assume malice from that joke imo. with the plagiarism framing it reads to me more as "i'm in this picture and don't like it"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

I agree, she was making a mean joke and I also agree she shouldn't receive harassment over it. It's another conversation altogether if you should be able to make mean jokes like that about a content creator bigger than you and to me it brings up the concept of punching up

"Punching up" is a flawed concept in comedy to begin with. It does not hold water as a moral standard when stochastic harassment and parasocial derangement factor in.

When you make a public post at someone's expense you are saying "the moral value, catharsis, and entertainment my followers and I get out of this petty dig is more valuable than the subject's peace and dignity."

Are there people in this world whose peace and dignity are valueless? Politicians, CEOs, etc? Yes. But that's a very small group. And devaluing extant human dignity requires an extremely strong moral or harm reduction case. Making a few mutuals and followers laugh isn't good enough.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

its kinda a stretch to assume malice from that joke imo. with the plagiarism framing it reads to me more as "i'm in this picture and don't like it"

Tragically, inhuman precision and care becomes your responsibility when you accrue that many followers on social media, because that's literally an inhuman position to be in. Our brains didn't evolve to cope with it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

ZSC didn't do anything wrong. It's fine for someone to tweet that they think a video is stupid, which she didn't even really say directly. It was an extremely mild joke.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
This is a tangent but when this thread used to be 80% arguing about Lindsey Ellis it was a huge point of contention over her follower count and whether having more followers meant she was allowed to complain about anything.

Endorph posted:

twitter is so broken that if you have a bunch of followers i dont think you should quote tweet or post something and go 'i think this/the person who made it is bad' unless youre okay with sending insane people after that person. people can be forgiven for not thinking twitter is that bad and doing it anyway, but like, its pretty consistent as something that happens. it happens even if you dont have any followers
I agree with this though, like some people are probably just thoughtless and not intentionally doing some "teehee I technically didn't harass you directly, other people just happened to independently decide to do that" gambit but the end result is the same

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 19, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I agree! Unfortunately, an extremely mild joke told by a 40-meter-class kaiju is going to cause a tornado. Accumulating that much parasocial power changes your social position. It isn't fair but it's a fact.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flying Zamboni posted:

ZSC didn't do anything wrong. It's fine for someone to tweet that they think a video is stupid, which she didn't even really say directly. It was an extremely mild joke.

Yeah it's kind of insane to think she should've assumed it'd "break containment". I once shot off a tweet before bed of a screenshot of a Vaush video youtube had recommended to me where I said he sucked assuming it'd get a dozen likes and woke up to 20k likes and my replies filled not only with his moron fans but also him (as he'd passive-aggressively QTed me).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

twitter is so broken that if you have a bunch of followers i dont think you should quote tweet or post something and go 'i think this/the person who made it is bad' unless youre okay with sending insane people after that person. people can be forgiven for not thinking twitter is that bad and doing it anyway, but like, its pretty consistent as something that happens. it happens even if you dont have any followers

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/JoCat105/status/1737196752145399901

Lol okay so yes all the doxxing and mailing was from before this incident, surely the people that harassed Hesse feel silly right about now! Also that last bullet point seems way out of left field but apparently people have been bringing up past statements by him about the Wizard game as a reason to harass him so keep that in mind when you get to that doozy

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

DoctorWhat posted:

"Punching up" is a flawed concept in comedy to begin with. It does not hold water as a moral standard when stochastic harassment and parasocial derangement factor in.

When you make a public post at someone's expense you are saying "the moral value, catharsis, and entertainment my followers and I get out of this petty dig is more valuable than the subject's peace and dignity."

Are there people in this world whose peace and dignity are valueless? Politicians, CEOs, etc? Yes. But that's a very small group. And devaluing extant human dignity requires an extremely strong moral or harm reduction case. Making a few mutuals and followers laugh isn't good enough.

Tragically, inhuman precision and care becomes your responsibility when you accrue that many followers on social media, because that's literally an inhuman position to be in. Our brains didn't evolve to cope with it.

lol, what is comedy supposed to be if you aren't able to make fun of people. The issue is more people having to have hot takes on everything on the toxic (even before Elon Musk) social platform Twitter, dog-piling someone because its allows cheap and easy jokes, and making even the most trivial topics a huge social issue where you are a Nazi if you have the wrong opinion.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i have like 1000 followers and i usually scrub off usernames when i want to make fun of a bad post lol. no idea what any of the 100k follower people who were like "im going to weigh in about this video being cringe" were thinking

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
it all comes back to that son of a bitch harry potter

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mori ftw

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think harry potter should be harassed out of twitter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DoctorWhat posted:

as it turns out it is also a stupid concept when there are like 15 different axis of "up" and "down" you can look at things through, and it plays into one of the most fundamental beliefs of bullying and harassing behavior, which is that there is a moral justification for doing it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i think harry potter should be harassed out of twitter

Let's kick his rear end (actionable)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Anyways once again I feel like Hesse's joke wouldn't have taken off much at all if Jocat didn't for some reason decide to quote tweet it for his audience of children to misunderstand what the tweet was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

Anyways once again I feel like Hesse's joke wouldn't have taken off much at all if Jocat didn't for some reason decide to quote tweet it for his audience of children to misunderstand what the tweet was.
he was getting a lot of weird poo poo about the video for two years so i cant blame him for making a weird, off assumption. he shouldnt have done it but also hard to blame him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"punching up" also reminds me of those dumb rear end "you dont need to be offensive to be funny" tweets where the joke is like a picture of a hamburger with "hambor" written on it, so because i'm mad at those posts, that concept can die

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

punching up/down is a stupid concept. the reality is twitter is a bad platform for random dunks on people even if the dunks are light and funny. just keep it to your discord or smth.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Human beings were just not meant to have indistinct clouds of para-socially motivated, pseudonymous fans interpreting their every statement as actionable instructions. That's my hot take.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Well hang on hambor sounds kinda funny

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"punching up" also reminds me of those dumb rear end "you dont need to be offensive to be funny" tweets where the joke is like a picture of a hamburger with "hambor" written on it, so because i'm mad at those posts, that concept can die

cold pockets

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/KrisWolfheart/status/1736992450684584318

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I’m here for hambot

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

he was getting a lot of weird poo poo about the video for two years so i cant blame him for making a weird, off assumption. he shouldnt have done it but also hard to blame him.

Yeah that's fair. Just an unfortunate situation all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

fun hater posted:

Seriously. So sick of this motherfucker.

But I guess a wizard killed him, so whatever.