Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Sure would love if I could activate the wagon in the event, WITHOUT enemies spawning up my rear end indefinitely so that I instead end up swinging at them.
And while I'm complaining, the loving slow tracks the winged dipshits like to drop everywhere are hardly visible and incredibly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I found the winged demons a pain in the rear end for that reason. I prioritize killing them.

Also addendum to my priorities (Statues, Renown, etc). I need to unlock all of my aspects first from dungeons because I'm so flooded with upgrades that I didn't realize how key some of them were to builds and I only had those via item drops.

I had a power dip but now I'm back in just brutal form. Still need to grind the others but I largely skipped dungeons in my story playthrough.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pro tip is don't run NMDs if your only goal is get the christmas tokens. Just do a tour through christmastown every so often! Every frigid totem thing has between 3 and 6 heirlooms, and every blighted revelry event is a santa token + five totems of heirlooms

The slowest and worst ways to grind christmas event are NMD and just killing enemies as if it was helltide. Those heirlooms are the key!! You can get the ~100 tokens you need for your class & its weapons in under an hour. Or more reasonably, do it over a few ~5 minute chunks every so often when there are whisper events there.

i missed that first response, mb. i've not gotten an heirloom from any of mine yet so i guess there's a breakpoint there, maybe around NMD 40? so that'd be the floor if you wanted to do it that way for some reason

i'm just trying to get my glyphs to 15 and it doesn't look like it'll cut off more then maybe half an hour of just straight grinding events by comparison

also man ive seen 1 Goa in however many dozens of keys i've got so far and it was straight the single worst affixes i've ever seen. slow going.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

MJBuddy posted:

I found the winged demons a pain in the rear end for that reason. I prioritize killing them.

Also addendum to my priorities (Statues, Renown, etc). I need to unlock all of my aspects first from dungeons because I'm so flooded with upgrades that I didn't realize how key some of them were to builds and I only had those via item drops.

I had a power dip but now I'm back in just brutal form. Still need to grind the others but I largely skipped dungeons in my story playthrough.

i'm using the metamorphosis vampire power and boots with evade charges so i can stay permanently unstoppable for stupid mobs just like these

also you have to re-grab those dungeon provided aspects every season if you're not on eternal, so only grab the ones you're going to be immediately using this season.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Insanely silly that I can't use/unlock the Christmas cosmetics for a class unless I'm on that class

I nabbed the back trophy and the crossbow for rogue since I want to play that next season. In order to actually use the cosmetic unlock item, I have to roll a rogue, use the items, and then delete the rogue

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Sure would love if I could activate the wagon in the event, WITHOUT enemies spawning up my rear end indefinitely so that I instead end up swinging at them.
See I have the opposite problem. Most classes can get a ton of resource from that event by hanging around the cart killing waves of enemies and stacking fragments, then when the screen is relatively clear going and popping a totem; but most importantly you leave one totem alone so that you can spent most of the 2 minutes building up a ton of fragments, and then pop the last totem to summon santa.

However, classes like ball sorcerers who summon a screen full of ability spam tend to accidentally pop all of the totems really quickly, whether you want to or not (especially if you've managed to get burn /xfals into your build). So I don't get as many fragments, just the stuff from the totems and santa (which is still a lot, relatively, it's just not as much as other classes can get from that event).

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

See I have the opposite problem. Most classes can get a ton of resource from that event by hanging around the cart killing waves of enemies and stacking fragments, then when the screen is relatively clear going and popping a totem; but most importantly you leave one totem alone so that you can spent most of the 2 minutes building up a ton of fragments, and then pop the last totem to summon santa.

However, classes like ball sorcerers who summon a screen full of ability spam tend to accidentally pop all of the totems really quickly, whether you want to or not (especially if you've managed to get burn /xfals into your build). So I don't get as many fragments, just the stuff from the totems and santa (which is still a lot, relatively, it's just not as much as other classes can get from that event).

That's great, but I can only ever get maybe 2 totems down, and the screen is just about never empty.
3 of those extinguisher fucks will spawn on it and when I see and start making my way to them, OOPS now I'm slowed to poo poo/frozen because there were 6 invisible ice trails right in front of me.
i've also seen like, 0 other players in the area doing any of this since the overall event started.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What class / build are you playing? It might be an idea to put a ranged / movement ability on temporarily for midwinter, because when that particular event actually goes off right, the gain is so much higher than anything else in the entire holiday.

Different classes having different parity in this game is kind of crazy though. Seasons seem to make it worse, and it goes back and forth, but it is pretty bad how you can compare one build (shadow necro) to another (s2 blood necro) and it's not like there's a .5 efficiency bonus to one like in most games, they're just not even in the same league.

Thank also everyone who did testing with low level / high level nmds for drops. Still doesn't seem like it's anywhere near the efficiency of running in a loop round the yuletide looking for santa.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The midwinter shop thing is broken on same screen co-op. Unlike every other shop in the game, you can't use it at the same time. If player two opens it while player one has it opened, it just closes out P1's window.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

harrygomm posted:

also you have to re-grab those dungeon provided aspects every season if you're not on eternal, so only grab the ones you're going to be immediately using this season.

Yeah a leveling guide I used had some unclear language that implied to me that dungeon aspects and dropped ones were frequently exclusive and that the dropped ones were "powerful" so I ignored them after beating story.

Then I upgraded off of an old ring with encircling blades and realized what they meant.

A lot of the progression system has just clicked in my head the last few days.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Midwinter shop is apparently half price for the bags and the attachment if you go to tier 1 before visiting.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Burt posted:

Midwinter shop is apparently half price for the bags and the attachment if you go to tier 1 before visiting.

This is hilariterrible

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah the Aspect costs 5, 8 or 10 santabux depending on your WT (same price for WT1 and WT2). The only difference is it's a Rare, Sacred, or Ancestral Aspect, so imprinting it on an Ancestral Rare Item will cost more gold/veils/legendary salvage mats if you bought the cheap aspect. Obviously those mats are Infinite so you may as well get 'em at half price!!

The goodie bag costs less but contains less & also worse gear at lower tiers. They uniquely drop Sacreds (in WT1 and WT2) and Ancestrals (in WT3) that are -10 levels from the usual minimum which is nice, but honestly the bags are not worth buying once you're in WT4

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
haven't verified myself, but the last time i saw it brought up, people were saying the lower world tier aspect had one of its inherent stats lowered on lower world tiers, maybe the movespeed? idk easy enough to check before you buy though

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Burt posted:

Once again...WTF

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

harrygomm posted:

haven't verified myself, but the last time i saw it brought up, people were saying the lower world tier aspect had one of its inherent stats lowered on lower world tiers, maybe the movespeed? idk easy enough to check before you buy though

I just checked, and at least in the vendor screen, it has the exact same descriptions and numbers. Maybe it's different when you buy it?

I would test that but I don't want to waste money on that or the goodie bags lol

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 19, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i just got to check it too and saw the same. maybe there's a bug where the effect applied to your character is lower but who knows, not going to figure that out on console

i know the aspect is only primarily useful when the holiday event is around because it needs the buff from the bard thing, but are the aspects staying around post-event? might be cool to have one laying around for whatever reason but if they just disappear i'm not spending the dosh

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i wanted to see about how much time this was gonna take so i did a lap according to the wudijo map and i got the following:

starting/ending:
78/4263blighted fragments
6/416 lost heirloom
0/5 trophy
117/149 proofs

so in 45 minutes i completed one lap and gained 32 proofs. so maybe 40-45 proofs/hour with more familiarity/better luck/build focused on speed instead of max HC survivability etc. i need 300 more proofs if i want to buy all the cosmetics and one aspect :/

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
oh also i thought varshan/greg/zir were level 100 bosses too but i guess their level 75. did about 20 greg and 15 varshan and didnt get any of the cosmetics. boy that's not great, it took 30 levels of collecting summon mats to get that many attempts so if those cosmetics are super rare im gonna have a bad time

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Don't worry, this game is not grindy if you simply don't engage in the content the developers put out.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

harrygomm posted:

oh also i thought varshan/greg/zir were level 100 bosses too but i guess their level 75. did about 20 greg and 15 varshan and didnt get any of the cosmetics. boy that's not great, it took 30 levels of collecting summon mats to get that many attempts so if those cosmetics are super rare im gonna have a bad time

Yeah I've done a lot of zur and varshan still no cosmetics from either

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

bamhand posted:

Don't worry, this game is not grindy if you simply don't engage in the content the developers put out.

That's how I'm doing it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any word or previews about next season yet? I hit 51 on my rogue, got to WT4 and sputtered out because NMDs suck rear end.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The next campfire chat is early January.

All we know so far is that we're getting The Gauntlet, a re-runnable fixed layout weekly dungeon with a leaderboard based on how many monsters you can kill in a run.

Loot changes arent coming until season 4

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm gonna see what the Rogue situation is like in this game. That'll put me at all 5 classes played, but I assume things will have changed enough by Season 4 that I can roll back around to Sorc again and it'll feel different from s0

Is the $130 annual expansion gonna coincide with Season 5?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

3 month seasons so
3: January
4: April
5: July
6: October

Expansion is "Late 2024"

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

bamhand posted:

but then you won't have beaten the game so you can't just do that

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Who are posts like that supposed to benefit lol

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
They really need to remove all the renown stuff, I will never finish all the regions. The game just isn’t good enough to grind it out. If it stayed from season to season it would be fine as you slowly work toward it but no. They can get their engagement up from me by pointing good content in.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hitting tier 3 is free and easy. Just pretend tiers 4 and 5 don't exist. Who cares about obols, and paragon points are only for endgame.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lord Packinham posted:

They really need to remove all the renown stuff, I will never finish all the regions. The game just isn’t good enough to grind it out. If it stayed from season to season it would be fine as you slowly work toward it but no. They can get their engagement up from me by pointing good content in.

Ya bro I did all but one but I will never finish that last one, or even get all the statues in that area, junk game play

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Get your free horse armor.

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1737174487307542786

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
2006-Me wouldn't believe these times of abundance we live in

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Between that and the Prime gaming horse, that's like an AAA game they're just giving away for free.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I guess it’s nice now to see straight away the potential enchant affixes and realise it’s pointless to throw mats at it. Baby steps

AOZ just lags out for me after certain levels and it’s unfun. I can do a 10 in about six minutes and then 11 and above just locks up the moment I’ve got a screen full of elites. I’m on an Xbox so can’t really tweak anything and with 350 up/down and 10ms I shouldn’t have to either. Switching off damage display makes no difference.

BG3 has come along at the perfect moment

I’ve enjoyed the season but I would really really like them to fix the bloody loot as even thinking about squinting at it all over again makes my eyes cross. Getting a shako and the Ahavarion spear made for a very fun few weeks.

Please give me some kind of cube to use these mats with. Having 250k fragments for each gem is so dumb.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Lord Packinham posted:

you can also do it on your eternal characters, where progress does stay season to season. i understand this is not as ideal as having it be universal progress or removed, but that option does exist. besides which, they have been changing basically every system to be less existent so in 2-3 seasons, i bet that system will be smoothed down into basically nothing like you're saying

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It might not be so bad if you could do something with aspects you don't need instead of selling them for a token amount of gold that might as well not exist.

Really hope they work on that next, something for aspects. It's nice playing this event and getting a ton of legendaries, but my stash space is getting full and storing spares of critical aspects in case I need to respec is a ballache.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

ClydeFrog posted:

I guess it’s nice now to see straight away the potential enchant affixes and realise it’s pointless to throw mats at it. Baby steps

AOZ just lags out for me after certain levels and it’s unfun. I can do a 10 in about six minutes and then 11 and above just locks up the moment I’ve got a screen full of elites. I’m on an Xbox so can’t really tweak anything and with 350 up/down and 10ms I shouldn’t have to either. Switching off damage display makes no difference.

BG3 has come along at the perfect moment

I’ve enjoyed the season but I would really really like them to fix the bloody loot as even thinking about squinting at it all over again makes my eyes cross. Getting a shako and the Ahavarion spear made for a very fun few weeks.

Please give me some kind of cube to use these mats with. Having 250k fragments for each gem is so dumb.

it seems to be laggy especially for DoT classes and X'Fals users. some streamer types were speculating it's because the monsters are living long enough that they actually have to run damage calculations for the screens full of dudes instead of just making them as dead and culling them. idk the thought behind it, but seeing high end PCs cripple at the 20-25 range, i'm not holding out much hope i'm gonna knock out a high level one on my xbox either

i'm all for getting a cube to do stuff with, but what does it matter if the gems are in a list of mats like they are? what are you hoping for instead?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It might not be so bad if you could do something with aspects you don't need instead of selling them for a token amount of gold that might as well not exist.

Really hope they work on that next, something for aspects. It's nice playing this event and getting a ton of legendaries, but my stash space is getting full and storing spares of critical aspects in case I need to respec is a ballache.

kind of a spin on the idea people liked from iirc The Division 2: break down aspects you don't need ala sigil powder and use w/e resulting thing to upgrade existing sigils. for example you pulled out a +2 sacred Umbral, you can upgrade it either/both to legendary and/or +3/+4

i don't like the intermediary busy work of breaking stuff down all the time, but it fits with current design decision style. i'd bet something like this is what they'll announce if i was a betting man

e: actually with the lack of uh soul fragments or whatever they're called, i'm having the opposite kind of issue. i have 1-2 perfectly rolled aspects of everything i'll ever need, but have a full stash of rings and amulets that are 3/4 that i can't even afford to reroll 1 times to see if it's worth equipping and slapping a good aspect on

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The only cube I want... is Kanai's

Not even sure how they'd adapt it to this game. There are like five categories of Legendary Affixes instead of just Weapon/Armor/Jewelry. And Uniques tend to be good because of their four perks as much as their main 'effect'