Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

PhilippAchtel posted:

https://twitter.com/SeamusORegan/status/1711851802910474469

Funny how these comments have lost their punch after the deaths of tens of thousands and the displacement of 1.5 million people...

October 10th was a different time! Who could have known Israel was bad then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

JT’s going to run again because he hasn’t beat daddy’s record yet, and none of these losers have the juice to Martinize him.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

I stand with Ukrainian-Canadian candidate Volodymyr Nonofthabov for Liberal party leader

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Glimpse posted:

JT’s going to run again because he hasn’t beat daddy’s record yet, and none of these losers have the juice to Martinize him.

He's going to run (screaming like a child (from my epic factual denunciation of his policy proposals))

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I heard little peter pepperpot angry on the radio today he reminds me of preston manning

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I heard little peter pepperpot angry on the radio today he reminds me of preston manning

i wonder how he feels about the word "reform"?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Canada is just the weirdest place

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kia-canada-car-sales-1.7063216

quote:

Is your new car on a storage compound? Inside Kia's scheme to deliberately withhold deliveries

New Kia vehicles that have arrived from overseas are sitting on a storage lot in Wolverton, Ont., purposely locked up even though customers have been waiting months and months — some well over a year — to get their vehicles.

The new cars are being withheld from Kia's Ontario dealerships — and reportedly from many more across the country — as part of a controversial plan by Kia Canada to game the number of sales in the last six weeks of the year.

Go Public has obtained a video in which a Kia regional manager explains the scheme — passed down from top Kia executives — to more than 100 dealership reps in Ontario during a Nov. 17 video call.

"All of you are gonna be very unhappy with me today," said Kia's central region manager Vince Capicotto as he outlined the plan, which he said would roll out nationally.

Instead of shipping all the vehicles to dealerships, Capicotto told the dealers only some will be released — the rest will remain on various compounds until the new year.

The reason for this, he explained in the call, is to avoid appearing too successful in the eyes of headquarters in Korea.

"With the global slow down, Kia Canada wants to control wholesale and retail performance in 2023 to not show high over-achievement," he said.

"There's a high risk with over performance that Kia headquarters will not provide Kia Canada resources necessary in our budget for 2024 to have a successful year if we over perform for the balance of 2023 at too high a rate."

I assume what this means is that budgeted compensation increases for Kia Canada execs won't happen if Kia HQ reduces their budget.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
KIA BOY$

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Karach posted:

Canada is just the weirdest place

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kia-canada-car-sales-1.7063216

I assume what this means is that budgeted compensation increases for Kia Canada execs won't happen if Kia HQ reduces their budget.

This is the kind of stuff people rail at communism for, but :capitalism:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Kia Canada: We won too much. We got tired of winning. Somebody said to us, Please Mr Kia, I have a headache. Please don't win so much. This is getting terrible.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

CLAM DOWN posted:

they asked a thousand boomers by telephone, i don't think any stock should be placed in these polls

Who do you think votes for leadership.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

i prefer da vinki twins

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHAwWGIlURA

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
when i was at a bar 20 years ago or so there was a guy there that sold kias and we'd heckle him during pool games by doing the AIIEEEE WELCOME TO DA SWAMP from the old TV ads

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

i wonder how he feels about the word "reform"?

Don Ferguson wouldn't try it because he knows pee pee is unintentionally funnier than he could ever be at that character

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's certainly no need to parody him

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/YaroslavB/status/1737665602171326955?t=7qQQpsCwxHdGRmRV3SRylQ&s=19

Oh lovely we're doing this now, too. On the one hand I've gor a government I can't stand constantly doing idiotic nonsense and tripping over their own tongues everytime they approach a microphone and then on the other side the opposition and right wing rags lime the Sun pull poo poo like this.

What's a person to do when the provinces are run by criminals, the feds are a laughing stock and municipalities operate on Russian roulette rules for whether you get a normal person or a psychopath running the show?

Disillusionment is a word I wish had a stronger synonym.

Edit:
And surprising nobody the Sun doubled down.
https://twitter.com/gmacofglebe/status/1737890727051341974?t=i5ceI0lpYGv7HOnzpRU7eA&s=19

Hey, Sun, much as you wish it were true, Canada is not America just yet.

Arc Hammer has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Dec 21, 2023

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1737900253561651274?t=OwvrwqDX8XqQsKtc3wBDkg&s=19

Let him nap

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Danielle Smith is taking right now and it is something else. The woman is loving delusional

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Arc Hammer posted:

Edit:
And surprising nobody the Sun doubled down.
https://twitter.com/gmacofglebe/status/1737890727051341974?t=i5ceI0lpYGv7HOnzpRU7eA&s=19

Hey, Sun, much as you wish it were true, Canada is not America just yet.

Shortly after posting that the Sun did in fact take down the caricature and apologize, probably only because Trudeau threatened to capitalize on their idiocy.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
what was the problem with the cartoon? it elided biden ripping out zelenskyy's heart?

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

pokeyman posted:

what was the problem with the cartoon? it elided biden ripping out zelenskyy's heart?

honestly my biggest issue is it's not even relevant anymore, the US is looking to cutoff The Ukraine and get them to figure out paying for the rest of the war themselves

turns out you can't take out a HELOC on one war to pay for the other

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

pokeyman posted:

A. Cargo Cult US GOP
B. Blatant Anti-semitism? Like compare a photo of Zelensky with the bignosed pickpocket in it
C. Also opposite of reality

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i know how much y'all love toronto life

linoleum floors posted:

New Toronto life hate read just dropped:
We sold our house in Fergus, Ontario, and bought an 11-bedroom château in France

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/sold-house-ontario-bought-chateau-france/

We met online before it was cool to meet people online. It was on Lavalife,

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DynamicSloth posted:

Shortly after posting that the Sun did in fact take down the caricature and apologize, probably only because Trudeau threatened to capitalize on their idiocy.

gently caress 'em. When you get called out like this and then double down any follow up apology is just bullshit to placate the crowd calling for your head. They don't mean it, never will mean it and the sun will continue to be the worst.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just once I'd like to see cartoonists mix it up, give Zelensky big cartoon mouse ears, Trudeau a honking shnoz, and Obama luscious flowing locks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

yeah that nose is a lot, fair enough

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

I will never violate the NAP.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

pokeyman posted:

it's a bit nauseating to depict Ukraine as ripping off America when the Americans backed the worst groups in the country to the hilt and caused their effective national suicide

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mila kunis posted:

it's a bit nauseating to depict Ukraine as ripping off America when the Americans backed the worst groups in the country to the hilt and caused their effective national suicide

I mean that sounds like a plausible description of how the americans who matter feel about ukraine these days

and I don't mean to defend the cartoon at all, it's a stupid political cartoon so I figured its total failure to resemble reality would be unsurprising and unremarkable. just surprised sometimes at what gets people's hackles up and I appreciate the explanations

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

infernal machines posted:

i know how much y'all love toronto life

I actually kind of like this one. It highlights the absurdity of being able to buy a 6500 square foot castle in France in trade for a 4-bedroom located in the outskirts of the outskirts of Toronto.
There's no woe is me tale and they acknowledge that this is a bad idea financially, just a wacky dream that they were able to accomplish.

I'm guessing it was simpler for them to get residence permits in France due to both being UK citizens.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

mila kunis posted:

I mean Zelensky and his offshore bank accounts are probably seeing their share of this too but yeah, that's fair

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

I thought most of the winter deaths in Quebec were caused by poor insulation and old people but now I think they're all just slipping on icy stairwells.

Montreal's nice rowhouses seem pretty based (assuming they aren't all $6000/month for a bachelor's at this point) but those metal stairs seem really hinky

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

just gesticulating beside my goblet of fluorescent piss

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

mila kunis posted:

Setting aside the big Jew nose stereotype, if Zelensky was labeled "Zelensky," it'd be pretty on point. But Ukraine is an undifferentiated mass to both liberals and conservatives, and that colors their perceptions of anything related to the conflict.

pokeyman posted:

I mean that sounds like a plausible description of how the americans who matter feel about ukraine these days

and I don't mean to defend the cartoon at all, it's a stupid political cartoon so I figured its total failure to resemble reality would be unsurprising and unremarkable. just surprised sometimes at what gets people's hackles up and I appreciate the explanations

The guy quoted above criticizing the cartoon absolutely would not accept that Ukraine is a victim as much of the West as Russia. 90% of this is the fight over anti-semetic aesthetics, ignoring the substance of the issue, because that's ground liberals are very comfortable with.

The other 10% is cope about Ukrainian "agency," inconsistent with the real events of the last 10 years.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Fidelitious posted:

I actually kind of like this one. It highlights the absurdity of being able to buy a 6500 square foot castle in France in trade for a 4-bedroom located in the outskirts of the outskirts of Toronto.
There's no woe is me tale and they acknowledge that this is a bad idea financially, just a wacky dream that they were able to accomplish.

I'm guessing it was simpler for them to get residence permits in France due to both being UK citizens.

Tag urself I’m “turning my 11-bedroom 6500 sq ft chateau on 37 acres into a luxury artists retreat airbnb.”

I’ve actually stayed in the French equivalent to Airbnb (gites-de-France) and the funniest part of it to me was 1) cash-in-hand payment and 2) BYO-bedding.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

DaysBefore posted:

I mean Zelensky and his offshore bank accounts are probably seeing their share of this too but yeah, that's fair

green crewnecks are expensive

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2023/12/thousands-of-young-canadians-travel-home-to-visit-standard-of-living-theyll-never-afford/ posted:

Thousands of young Canadians travel home to visit standard of living they’ll never afford
3 hours ago by Ian MacIntyre ( @mrianmacintyre )

OTTAWA – With Christmas only days away, thousands of young Canadians prepare to journey home and visit a quality of living that they will never possibly hope to afford.

Across the entire nation travellers in both the Millennial and Gen Z cohorts are preparing for annual holiday visits with a level of affluence, purchasing power, and overall comfort that they will never know in their adult lifetimes.

“There’s really nothing like it, flying across the country in the crowds and finally landing safe and warm on the doorstep of this level of incomprehensible affluence,” recounts Edmund Talley, who shares a Toronto 3-bedroom apartment with five roommates. “Each Christmas when I arrive home everything looks exactly the same, except for that one year they got a home equity line of credit and built an addition on the back of the house with a heated indoor jacuzzi. Time flies!”

Still, Talley reports that visits home can also be emotionally fraught. “Obviously we try not to talk about religion, or how mom and dad paid just $80,000 for this house in the late 80s when dad was the assistant manager at an Esso and sole breadwinner of the family,” Talley recounts. “But by the time the turkey is on the table we’re inevitably discussing how the house is worth $1.4 million, and how a commensurate mortgage now would take me five lifetimes to pay off.”

“Still,” Talley added wistfully, “it’ll be nice to make some memories visiting this standard of living before I fly back to my own place in Toronto’s ‘Little Garbagetown’ neighbourhood.”

Kyah Simms will soon drive from her basement apartment in Vancouver’s East side to visit her parents’ 4 bedroom split level in suburban Kelowna. “Every year I look forward to reconnecting with a pantry stocked with brand name snacks, as opposed to nothing but instant ramen and mold.” Simms reports plans to bring back a package of Double Stuffed Oreos, to prove to her skeptical roommates that they are in fact a real product.

While many young Canadians report an eagerness to spend as much quality time as possible cleaning dishes in a dishwasher and sleeping on a bed frame that wasn’t scrounged from a sidewalk, others report apprehension about visiting an unattainable standard of living.

“Every year at the holidays it’s the same old fight, between me and my parents’ new home theatre system,” notes Emily Wu of Calgary. “I haven’t watched a single TV show this year that wasn’t on my tiny cracked phone screen, and now I have to go five rounds with the new 80-inch TV my dad bought with his annual bonus.”

“Also, what is an ‘annual bonus’,” Wu added, perplexed.

At press time, every aging parent is preparing to spend the holidays asking what’s stopping you from giving them grandchildren already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
ouch