Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok Comboomer posted:

can you go to the fruit stand? A “battery replacement” at Apple (ie a replacement with a factory-fresh refurb unit with Apple warranty) is like $129 last I checked. No need to hammer anything.

I actually already tried :( They only do mail in service for this model when I asked at my local Apple Store. When I mailed it in they rejected the service because of the dented case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Curious if there's any way to get/read PDF's on an OG iPad without syncing (that computer is long gone, and I assume if I try syncing with a new one I'll lose basically all the apps on it).

Thing still works, got a few PDFs I'd like to read not-at-my-computer, no real other use for another tablet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Curious if there's any way to get/read PDF's on an OG iPad without syncing (that computer is long gone, and I assume if I try syncing with a new one I'll lose basically all the apps on it).

Thing still works, got a few PDFs I'd like to read not-at-my-computer, no real other use for another tablet.

It depends upon how far the iPad got updated. Off the top of my head you could:

1) email the PDFs to yourself, download them through Mail and read them that way
2) if it can access iCloud, download them through there
3) if it has the Files app, it can access Windows or MacOS folder file sharing

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ethics_Gradient posted:

An OG iPad , or even an iPad 1-4, would just be unusable at this point. You will go crazy with it loading, and that’s before getting into the fact that it’ll also horrible be out of date security wise.

I have an iPad Mini 2 sitting around, and i am debating turning it essentially into a picture frame, and I’m a bit 50/50 for those reasons. And a Mini 2 is like, an iPad 5. It’s horribly slow I couldn’t imagine how slow an OG iPad is.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well folks, today is the day.

About 4-5 months ago I started using an iPad daily and really liked it to the point where it's replaced my laptop (wife uses it mostly now). It's an iPad 8th generation with 32 gb and I was really feeling it.

Since it's my main device I decided to splurge and low and behold the specific one I wanted was on sale. Today, that iPad Pro 11 arrives today and I already have the Logitech keyboard waiting for it.

Y'all were right. You were always right. Once you commit and enjoy the iPad experience you start wanting all the bells and whistles, especially the 120Hz display. My phone being 120 and my iPad not kind of sucked. I'm really looking forward to it!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You’ll love that laminated screen too, it’s a game changer

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh…oh wow.

This screen is absolutely gorgeous. Is this what I’ve been missing out on?!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've finally switched to doing all my creative stuff on the ipad.. it's just more fun to do stuff than on my big boy windows desktop. The array of apps available now is pretty incredible too, and cheaper than traditional desktop software.

I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe fewer distractions? The pencil is just that good? I haven't figured it out but the result is the same.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kirios posted:

Oh…oh wow.

just wait until you get the Apple magic keyboard with the trackpad

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

xzzy posted:

I've finally switched to doing all my creative stuff on the ipad.. it's just more fun to do stuff than on my big boy windows desktop. The array of apps available now is pretty incredible too, and cheaper than traditional desktop software.

I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe fewer distractions? The pencil is just that good? I haven't figured it out but the result is the same.

When I need to actually buckle down and do something, I’m usually trying to do it on my iPad Pro. There’s occasional things where I need Bigputer, but between work messages and multiple monitors, it’s hard to actually get anything done.

There’s some limitations, but yeah single tasking at a single very good screen does wonders for me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kirios posted:

Oh…oh wow.

Wait until you play No Rest For The Wicked on the quad speakers, vs the single on the home button generation of iPads.

Love my M1 11". The 9th gen is alright, but 8gb ram for browsing and having FaceID is the poo poo

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 20, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the funny thing about the quad speakers is i don't really notice them being better or louder, i just turn my ipad ways and go "yep that's sound. that's sound too. that's also sound. IT'S SOUND ALL OVER HOW DID TIM APPLE DO IT"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

the funny thing about the quad speakers is i don't really notice them being better or louder, i just turn my ipad ways and go "yep that's sound. that's sound too. that's also sound. IT'S SOUND ALL OVER HOW DID TIM APPLE DO IT"

Maybe it depends on how good the sound guy is when mastering tracks then, cause No Rest For the Wicked has great separation on a pro

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I've been looking at tablets for a little while now and have come to the conclusion that it's got to be an ipad, but I'm not sure which model so I'm hoping this thread can help me out.

Why I think I want a tablet:

My left arm is all kinds of messed up right now so while I'm recovering I kinda want a touch oriented experience for personal computing because typing is miserable. I've been using my phone with my good hand but it's less than ideal for many things I want to do. Also feels like I'm gonna give myself an RSI this way lol.

What I want to do:
- Standard stuff like streaming videos and music, posting, reading ebooks of various formats + pdfs + manga, some games
- Marking up pdfs, scribbling notes and practicing kanji with my good hand

I've been looking at the air and the pros because a) 2nd gen pencil support and b) the opportunity to add a magic keyboard later when I'm all patched up again. I'm interested in the latter because I don't actually have a personal laptop so turning the ipad into something like one when I want it to might be nice. I'm not terribly price adverse if the hardware fits the use case.

Going to head to the store soonish to see these in person (need to check out if one size vs the other is better for me physically right now) but would appreciate people's thoughts if any.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I love my Air and use it as a laptop replacement all the time. I suppose if money didn’t matter I prob would’ve gotten a pro but at my usage the feature difference doesn’t make a wit of difference.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Sleng Teng posted:

I've been looking at tablets for a little while now and have come to the conclusion that it's got to be an ipad, but I'm not sure which model so I'm hoping this thread can help me out.

My left arm is all kinds of messed up right now so while I'm recovering I kinda want a touch oriented experience for personal computing because typing is miserable. I've been using my phone with my good hand but it's less than ideal for many things I want to do. Also feels like I'm gonna give myself an RSI this way lol.

What I want to do:
- Standard stuff like streaming videos and music, posting, reading ebooks of various formats + pdfs + manga, some games

I've been looking at the air and the pros because a) 2nd gen pencil support and b) the opportunity to add a magic keyboard later when I'm all patched up again. I'm interested in the latter because I don't actually have a personal laptop so turning the ipad into something like one when I want it to might be nice. I'm not terribly price adverse if the hardware fits the use case.

Going to head to the store soonish to see these in person (need to check out if one size vs the other is better for me physically right now) but would appreciate people's thoughts if any.

If you’re going to be spending a lot of time using the pencil drawing/handwriting the pro is well worth the small bump in cost for the 120hz screen imo. Just really helps with responsiveness and the feeling of smoothness.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sleng Teng posted:

What I want to do:

If you have mobility problem with your arms, the larger pro might be a bit heavy and fatiguing to hold up. The 11' air/pro is a bit ergonomic in that regard. So it might be worth thinking about (and pricing in) a good keyboard that'll let you rest it upright on your lap. If you're already eyeing up the Magic Keyboard case, you'll probably end up getting that sooner rather than later, and its probably the most egregiously priced apple accessory aside from those expensive wheels they used to sell for one of the desktop Macs, so might as well price that in now.

The pro is a very nice tablet, but its processor is complete overkill for basically anything that Apple actually lets you do on it. Even the multitasking pseudo-desktop interface they're slowly introducing (called Stage Manager) is as fast as it's really ever gonna be on the M1. But also, the promise of the desktop mode is better than the execution of it so don't go into an iPad for that.

I'd suggest saving a chunk of money and honestly just going for the M1 iPad Pro, which will do everything tablet-y incredibly fast. Only go for the M2 if you know the exact reason why you'd need that processing power - otherwise, you really don't need that extra power on a tablet.

Performance-wise, the M1 air has the exact same chip as the M1 Pro. So it really depends how much a high refresh rate screen matters to you. For some people, it's hard to go back once they've made that jump, and then they end up spending a whole lot of money upgrading anything else they own with a screen to match. So uh, watch out

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 20, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you can afford to buy the pencil and/or keyboard at the same time as the iPad itself, AppleCare also extends to the accessories, which is a nice perk.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thanks everyone!

Vegastar posted:

If you’re going to be spending a lot of time using the pencil drawing/handwriting the pro is well worth the small bump in cost for the 120hz screen imo. Just really helps with responsiveness and the feeling of smoothness.

Very much so, writing practice and markups are things I do daily. I'll have to test drive in store to see how much I care about the difference but I think I will since all my screens are 120hz already!

I gel with all of this. Yes, the weight/size is something I want to check in store because my left arm can support some load but not for very long so I need to check it out. Thankfully the other is fine.

The cost/perf curve is basically the biggest question I had and you made a compelling case to check out the M1 as I don't think I'm going to do anything that perf heavy on it - I have an actual workstation for that stuff.

Arivia posted:

If you can afford to buy the pencil and/or keyboard at the same time as the iPad itself, AppleCare also extends to the accessories, which is a nice perk.

Oh neat, I didn't know that. Might spring for the keyboard in addition to the pencil with the pad then!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

xzzy posted:

I wish I could do more creative stuff on my iPad. I use Reason to make music and the only Reason app that's available on iPad is Reason Compact, which has been fun the few times I've messed with it, but all my VSTs that I've paid a lot of money for are on my PC and I can't use those on my iPad. Same with Lightroom. The iPad version has been neat the few times I've messed with it, but I have presets for Lightroom on my PC that I don't think will carry over to the iPad version. Plus I think you have to pay monthly for the good stuff with Lightroom for iPad and I'm perfectly content using my :filez: version on PC :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nothing you can do about VST's, but more and more of them offer AU builds now which I think will work on an iPad (might need logic pro, I'm not clear on how the ecosystem is set up). I never got into VST collecting, I sank all my money into auv3 plugins.

And yeah Lightroom mobile is a paid thing. I'm a sucker that pays for it and really enjoy it. But I'd never encourage anyone to give Adobe money. Mobile should be able to import presets but I've never actually done it.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I just wanted to again thank people for their responses again in this thread. I made my way to a store earlier this week and found that the 11” pro was what I wanted and yesterday became the happy owner of an M1 plus accessories. Now I can comfortably do personal computing without feeling like I’m ruining my good hand!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sleng Teng posted:

I just wanted to again thank people for their responses again in this thread. I made my way to a store earlier this week and found that the 11” pro was what I wanted and yesterday became the happy owner of an M1 plus accessories. Now I can comfortably do personal computing without feeling like I’m ruining my good hand!

Ah great! It's a cool tablet. If you have a USB to HDMI/DP cable, you can use it reasonably well as a light desktop machine (so long as you don't get too fancy with multitasking). With a keyboard and mouse connected it'll extend rather than mirror, and give you a desktop-like environment on the second screen, with windows and things like that. Don't rely on it as a proper Computer computer, but if you need the extra screen space for the occasional thing it holds up better than you'd expect

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

The Grumbles posted:

Ah great! It's a cool tablet. If you have a USB to HDMI/DP cable, you can use it reasonably well as a light desktop machine (so long as you don't get too fancy with multitasking). With a keyboard and mouse connected it'll extend rather than mirror, and give you a desktop-like environment on the second screen, with windows and things like that. Don't rely on it as a proper Computer computer, but if you need the extra screen space for the occasional thing it holds up better than you'd expect

It never occurred to me that I could extend to a second monitor, I just assumed it would be mirror-only. That's awesome. Do you know if that works with a Magic Keyboard too?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

It never occurred to me that I could extend to a second monitor, I just assumed it would be mirror-only. That's awesome. Do you know if that works with a Magic Keyboard too?

Yes, it does.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Four days in. This iPad Pro still owns so freaking hard. Even browsing the forums is a lot more fun now.

I cannot recommend it enough. I’d rather get a few year old iPad Pro over any base or Air level iPad.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kirios posted:

Oh…oh wow.

I agree the Pro screens are great, but apparently next year they're getting OLED too and that's going to be so loving nice.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wonder how much they’ll jack up the price for the OLEDS

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

hatty posted:

Rumor is a lot. I like my M2 12.9” a lot but part of me also wishes it was OLED and part of me also doesn’t want to pay the price increase.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

hatty posted:

They'll do the iPhone 15 pro thing where they raise the minimum storage to 256, and charge you as if you selected a higher storage tier

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Kirios posted:

Four days in. This iPad Pro still owns so freaking hard. Even browsing the forums is a lot more fun now.

I cannot recommend it enough. I’d rather get a few year old iPad Pro over any base or Air level iPad.

This is where I’m at too right now, a couple of days in!

Though as The Grumbles warned it’s become a lot harder to look at my 6 yo phone thanks to this screen lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Having a 120hz ipad and a 120hz macbook wore me down and I eventually upgraded to a 120hz phone. Its like a mind virus

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Oddly I really don’t mind 60hz on the MacBook Air. I think it’s just touchscreens that get me.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah, I’ve had 120 Hz monitors for years but it’s the mobile devices that really get me apparently

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Fortunately I use a S23 which is already 120 Hz, but…yeah. Any screen that’s right in my face has to be 120 Hz. My wife uses a 6a and it is now immediately noticeable to me whenever I use her phone.

They’ve got me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am officially an old man because the upgrade to 120hz has been completely invisible to me. I forget it's even a feature until someone in the threads mention it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That sounds odd because I find that scrolling the SA forums in particular is a place where the difference is absolutely obvious.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

hatty posted:

Make iPads Pro into OLED screens and charge whatever you want.
-but-
Make the iPads Air 120Hz with quad speakers and keep the same price. :colbert:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm sure they wouldn't add another markup for OLED on top of that markup they added for the mini-LED screens a couple years back :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

After experiencing the Pro the Air makes even less sense for me in the current market. It needs more. Way more.