Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this sucks, rip. incredible career, he will be remembered as one of the most iconic voices in gaming long after.

that said, now sam lake has to do the max payne/alex casey voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I was just saying in the horror thread that it was seeing an offhand comment about him being in Control that got me back into Remedy's games after losing touch with them since Max Payne 2. It's hard to think of another actor that could do that for me after a good 15 year gap, I've been bummed all morning.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This really sucks :smith: rip James

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

they're gonna have to add a fourth name to the "in memory of" section of the credits... :smith:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wonder what they're gonna do for the Max Payne remake... And Alan wake 3 i guess

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m more curious if he did any work for the DLC for this game or what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m more curious if he did any work for the DLC for this game or what

I imagine he did some for the Night Springs stuff but I'm sure that is already recorded.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was already curious about the Max Payne remakes. I was thinking the Alan Wake remaster used the original audio, but I guess the Max Payne updates sound like they'd be more ambitious anyway, so that might not even be relevant.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat I just finished this game and it is probably my game of the year. gently caress man what a banger of a game. It just does everything so well. I loved everything, from the main mystery, the side mysteries, the characters, the revelations, the gameplay, the vibe, the setting. The mechanics in this game between the two characters. Like goddamn what a masterpiece. Not many are doing it like Remedy, folks

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I liked it a ton myself, though I still have a salty grudge against that loving gank squad that appears after you look at the cult stash in the woods behind the nursing home.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kchama posted:

I liked it a ton myself, though I still have a salty grudge against that loving gank squad that appears after you look at the cult stash in the woods behind the nursing home.

man towards the end of the game I was feeling so good about how I was doing with the combat I just murked those guys easily. But then low key struggled thanks to having low ammo on some of the bigger fights towards the end lol.

Anyway I'm reading through the thread for the first time and its very funny and also interesting how many people were upset about the save system. I guess everyone thought it would just auto save? Guys! The save system is there for a reason! Get in those safe rooms and save!!! lol I was always saving.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

man towards the end of the game I was feeling so good about how I was doing with the combat I just murked those guys easily. But then low key struggled thanks to having low ammo on some of the bigger fights towards the end lol.

Anyway I'm reading through the thread for the first time and its very funny and also interesting how many people were upset about the save system. I guess everyone thought it would just auto save? Guys! The save system is there for a reason! Get in those safe rooms and save!!! lol I was always saving.

I just really hate dealing with wolves and speed-guys in heavy woods.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The most fun I had with AW2 combat was NG+ We Sing with fully upgraded flare gun aoe so I was taking out 2-3 Taken per shot. I used nothing but the flare gun for the whole sequence.

edit Wolves are fast but have big hitboxes, so the shotgun is really good for killing them. Even on Nightmare two good hits kills them.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Kchama posted:

my personal most tense was behind the parade float workshop where you get ambushed by at least one submerged where i got caught in close quarters stuck between a bunch of junk lying around

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kchama posted:

I just really hate dealing with wolves and speed-guys in heavy woods.

ngl my favorite part about NG+ so far is having an upgraded Rifle as Saga and just doming the super speed axe throwers through their darkness shield.

edit: usually before they even notice me. Very satisfying.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 19, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

ngl my favorite part about NG+ so far is having an upgraded Rifle as Saga and just doming the super speed axe throwers through their darkness shield.

edit: usually before they even notice me. Very satisfying.

I was extremely satisfied the one time I just oneshotted one of them from behind with my Rifle. Such a good gun.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

my personal most tense was behind the parade float workshop where you get ambushed by at least one submerged where i got caught in close quarters stuck between a bunch of junk lying around

That one… took a couple of tries.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oh i should also note that with all weapons in NG+ upgraded it is extremely satisfying going into the Cynthia Weaver fight and unloading auto shotgun and auto pistol into her as she does the flailing run at you. I had to redo that fight a few times in my first playthrough lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I need someone to rewrite my past so it turns out I found enough collectibles to upgrade a weapon in my first time around :sigh:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Captain Hygiene posted:

I need someone to rewrite my past so it turns out I found enough collectibles to upgrade a weapon in my first time around :sigh:

This is why I have now played and completed this game 3 times.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just finished the first playthrough on story.

About to start ng+, do I keep the charms I've already collected?

I ran out of space on the later half of the game so I'm wondering if this time around I can just focus on using 2 weapons or something (handgun and rifle) and the containers will pretty much just have ammo for them if I ignore picking up the ammo for other weapons?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Haven't played thy new game+ yet but I just had a thought that it fits thematically with the whole spiral thing. It's not a circle because poo poo is slightly different this time going back to the theme of it seeming like your just going in circles but in reality it's getting better little by little.

I'm sure this has been brought up already but it just popped up in my head

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kin posted:

Just finished the first playthrough on story.

About to start ng+, do I keep the charms I've already collected?

I ran out of space on the later half of the game so I'm wondering if this time around I can just focus on using 2 weapons or something (handgun and rifle) and the containers will pretty much just have ammo for them if I ignore picking up the ammo for other weapons?

You keep all your charms. I just ran the main four weapons and I haven't had space trouble yet.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Even though I have the mayor charm I’m still going to use a guide to find the last few collectibles I need in NG+. I found the majority by myself so I don’t feel bad.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Oh hey, new patch on the PS5 this morning. Can’t find any patch notes but I wonder if it fixes the inventory upgrade pickup bug in Bright Falls.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Loaded up an old save and yeeeessss they fixed it

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Welp, at least I'll be able to get that the next time around.

Have they also fixed the case note bug where some of the files are always locked behind the available later thing?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Is that the bug where it seems like the item in the chest can't be picked up, but if you hover the cursor over the actual item, instead of the interactable circle UI element, you were able to pick the item up? I had that my first playthrough and it took me a little while to figure out what was going on. Try that trick if it pops up again.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I've been saving these for a bad day and it's is now time to do The Dark Ocean Summoning.
:blastu:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dark Ocean Summoning is a very good day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Everyone around Saga just going WHAT? because they can't hear her over the sound of all her ammunition clanking around as she moves

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Saga rolling up to the Dark Place like Arnold at the end of Commando.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Well that was fun.

I chickened out after few tries and used other guns too against the water ladies and the big dudes.
Others got the autopistol.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

There are patch notes! Huzzah, it fixes the issues with NG+ and not being able to pick up those two inventory expansions as Saga!

"Global

Fixed an issue where players were unable to pick up inventory capacity upgrades as Saga at Cauldron Lake shore and at the Bright Fall’s fishing pier.

New Game Plus

Removed duplicate Charms from the player’s inventory.
Prevent players from getting duplicate Charms.
New Game Plus now tracks players unlocks from all the previous games, not just from the first playthrough.
If you already have unlocked New Game Plus, you need to load any checkpoint from a non-New Game Plus session before starting a New Game Plus.
Note: You also need to start a completely fresh New Game Plus save file for the unlocks to take effect, after loading in an old checkpoint from a non-New Game Plus session.

Stubborn “Bright Falls” manuscript page in the bunker forest shack has been taught some manners and is now ready to be picked up by the players."

Wait no. What the gently caress. I've gotta start over? Ugh.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

There are patch notes! Huzzah, it fixes the issues with NG+ and not being able to pick up those two inventory expansions as Saga!

"Global

Fixed an issue where players were unable to pick up inventory capacity upgrades as Saga at Cauldron Lake shore and at the Bright Fall’s fishing pier.

New Game Plus

Removed duplicate Charms from the player’s inventory.
Prevent players from getting duplicate Charms.
New Game Plus now tracks players unlocks from all the previous games, not just from the first playthrough.
If you already have unlocked New Game Plus, you need to load any checkpoint from a non-New Game Plus session before starting a New Game Plus.
Note: You also need to start a completely fresh New Game Plus save file for the unlocks to take effect, after loading in an old checkpoint from a non-New Game Plus session.

Stubborn “Bright Falls” manuscript page in the bunker forest shack has been taught some manners and is now ready to be picked up by the players."

Wait no. What the gently caress. I've gotta start over? Ugh.

Well that's loving annoying. I just got through the cauldron lake area in ng+, doing that again is gonna be a it of a chore, though i suppose i can skip most of it.

For the reload an original game save thing though, when i reached the end of the game the first time around i think i overwrote the one save file i was using. Is that gonna mean i'm screwed because i won't be able to just continue?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I'm not sure how that's supposed to work, all the auto checkpoints will obviously be overridden and assuming players would waste one of 3 save slots to keep an old ng save is weird

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Well I think I'm lucky and for some reason all of my manually saved progress is from way before the end of the game.

Guess that means I just need to progress a bit, hit a checkpoint, quit and then jump to my already unlocked new game plus?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

reloaded my ng save I had stashed away "just in case" (phew) and it was right before I opened up my last two cultist stashes. And this time finishing them the game didn't bug out and not give me the lighthouse key! :toot:

Figure I'll try cleaning up a bit and see if it keeps for when I start another ng+ save.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ohh, that's a handy change. Seems like the patch notes are literal. Before, the game would only keep track of playthrough one and if you beat playthrough two, then playthrough three afterwards would ignore the second one happened. Pick anything up in playthrough 2 and it wouldn't be there in your log or ingame if you go back for a third to finish it off. Someone on Reddit missed the shotgun for saga that way.

This fixes a problem with Control's chapter select that this game almost had, where it treats chapter markers as permanent save files and will always give you the inventory you had at that moment if you go back in time... Unable to be overwritten by playing forward again unless you go all the way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 20, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Taking on Nightmare versions of bosses and completely no-selling them due to having a fancy loadout is pretty drat satisfying. Cynthia couldn't even do anything because I was stunlocking her between thrown flares and charged rifle shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Well, I liked The Writer a lot more than The Signal. The Signal was just a discordant note, held throughout the entire DLC; the story in The Writer actually had a progression and the difficulty was not spiked to the ceiling like it was in The Signal. The lighthouse approach was a standout of all of AW1, and, I think, an excellent metaphor for mental illness. Even if you have the light of reason, even if you can break down the barriers in your mind keeping the light from you, that doesn't make the monsters stop coming. They're always going to come forever, and sometimes they might even catch up to you, and you just have to hold firm, trust that the light will return, and wait for it to banish them again.