Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fil5000 posted:

The player character in Control arrives at the Federal Bureau of Control and is immediately made Director of the organisation, also she is psychic and was directed there by a alien. The central plot is "I must rescue my brother" but there's a ton of stuff inbetween each step of doing that.

I like Control a lot, they sort of combine being The Chosen One with you having no idea what you're walking into.

The key thing is that it's played for strangeness and absurdity. It's literally a joke that Jesse becomes Director five minutes into the game despite having barely any idea what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

John Murdoch posted:

The key thing is that it's played for strangeness and absurdity. It's literally a joke that Jesse becomes Director five minutes into the game despite having barely any idea what's going on.

Yeah. For some reason we're not seeing these complaints about the hero of time or that game I bought where I expected to be a lowly plumber. Within the first level I'm smashing through bricks, literally turning invincible, and shooting fireballs!
I wonder what the difference between Jesse Faden and those characters is.
she's a ginger

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah. For some reason we're not seeing these complaints about the hero of time or that game I bought where I expected to be a lowly plumber. Within the first level I'm smashing through bricks, literally turning invincible, and shooting fireballs!
I wonder what the difference between Jesse Faden and those characters is.
she's a ginger
It's because she only posts in Twitter formats

The game is about a shady bureau of weird poo poo, and I would have rather had a game about that. There's really not much more to it if y'all want to factor it down because you're really invested in the telekinesis game for whatever reason.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

John Murdoch posted:

I like that everyone just goes along with it without question, it's such a nice way of showing you that poo poo really has to get really really weird around here before people start worrying.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fil5000 posted:

I like that everyone just goes along with it without question, it's such a nice way of showing you that poo poo really has to get really really weird around here before people start worrying.

Who cares which person's way up at the top, I've got a refrigerator to stare at!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Fil5000 posted:

Same poo poo Different Dimension

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fil5000 posted:

There’s a lot of stuff through the enviornment and notes that sell it as like a 2.5, maybe 3 out of 5 level disaster which is great.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s a lot of stuff through the enviornment and notes that sell it as like a 2.5, maybe 3 out of 5 level disaster which is great.

I mean yeah, you can shoot at the problem, wear a suit that prevents you from being affected, and it's mostly localized to the Oldest House - and only parts of it. This poo poo's a Monday afternoon.

Some of the things in the House, they don't give you those options.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Y'all got to play as the director? drat, it made me a janitor's assistant

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

mind the walrus posted:

The game is about a shady bureau of weird poo poo, and I would have rather had a game about that.

So did you only play the first 30 minutes of the game orrr?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

You later get promoted to Assistant Janitor once you display some ability to get stuff done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

So did you only play the first 30 minutes of the game orrr?

The first two hours of the game has an ex director who was turned into a powerhouse because he couldn’t control the powers you use, even.

And it gets weirder from there!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Literally can't imagine feeling that the Twilight Zone poo poo was not far and away the main focus of Control. That's like 80% of the plot and 99.9% of the set dressing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first two hours of the game has an ex director who was turned into a powerhouse because he couldn’t control the powers you use, even.

:stonklol:
That's my favorite background thing in the game. It's so weird and terrible, and it's right there in front of you, but it's also easy to miss all the actual details if you're rushing through and not reading everything.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think I've even complained before ITT that the main plot is kinda weak and meandering and not very satisfying outside of a few specific moments. The game is far and away more about all the weird side stories and collectibles and stuff and the main story is an excuse to send you deeper into things.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

:stonklol:
That's my favorite background thing in the game. It's so weird and terrible, and it's right there in front of you, but it's also easy to miss all the actual details if you're rushing through and not reading everything.

It’s some real Harlan Ellison poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

John Murdoch posted:

I think I've even complained before ITT that the main plot is kinda weak and meandering and not very satisfying outside of a few specific moments. The game is far and away more about all the weird side stories and collectibles and stuff and the main story is an excuse to send you deeper into things.

This is my feeling about Control. Great setting to read about and explore, but I was not impressed by the actual story about the main character or the gameplay.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

John Murdoch posted:

I completely agree there. But also that was Alan wake too, just Control was even better about the cool sidestories and environmental storytelling.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Control had one of my least favorite things in gaming: a shitload of micromanaging equipment drops that do stuff like +7% reload speed or +3% chance to crit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

John Murdoch posted:

I think the main 'actually disappointing' thing about the main story of Control is that it seems to REALLY expect you to care about Jesse's brother, who's so uninteresting and bland that I literally don't remember his name. It always sucks when a story tries to make something emotionally resonate and it just doesn't.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He's called Jesse's brother

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

I think the main 'actually disappointing' thing about the main story of Control is that it seems to REALLY expect you to care about Jesse's brother, who's so uninteresting and bland that I literally don't remember his name. It always sucks when a story tries to make something emotionally resonate and it just doesn't.

I dunno, for me the game was so thoroughly oriented around Jesse that to me it's less that you, the player, are supposed to be super duper invested in her brother and more that ideally you should be at least a little invested in the fact that Jesse cares about finding Dylan. It's her primary motivation far more than it's yours. But I can see how that still wouldn't necessarily play well.

For me, the cracks are more in how there's no real payoff at the end of the game. What's Dylan's deal? He was corrupted by the Hiss exactly like you thought. How did the Hiss attack the FBC? Trench did it, because he was also corrupted. But also like, he's flatout dead at the start of the game so that revelation doesn't really have a lot of weight to it. What the heck is the deal with Polaris? :shrug: What happened to Darling? Oh he's off having cosmic adventures with Polaris now, don't worry about it. Jesse remembering the name of the Shawshank Redemption is genuinely one of the most significant payoffs.

This is even reflected in the map design of all things where the final showdown takes place down the unlabeled hellish inaccessible hallway of blaringly obvious importance that you can't even walk down without bleeding health you encounter almost immediately at the start of the game but can't do anything with yet. Yet the plot treats the revelation that it's the heart of the Hiss infestation or w/e as a credible plot point. Very odd.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's from years of training with knives.

He played Will Scarlett in Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Correction: Will Scarlett-O’hara. :eng101:

He’s from Georgia.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One of the things that really irked me about Control was part of the final sequence.

It took me much longer than it should have to figure out that the game wanted me to play along with the stupid nightmare sequence until the game arbitrarily decided it was time to break out. Rather than realizing it's obviously a fake hallucination from the start.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I can't even remember the end of control lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also thinking on it some more, the other issue with the final couple of acts is that they seemed to be trying to build up the mystery of whether it was Trench or Darling that pulled the trigger on the Hiss and if you're paying attention it's...really not that much of a surprise. Especially when, IIRC, they literally do the ole "this evidence seems to prove that one of them was up to no good!" misdirect, at which point if you're genre savvy you go "oh so it was the other guy after all, huh".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sebmojo posted:

But do you remember the end of Shawshank Redemption?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Remedy has a real habit of their endings being sequel hooks that don't usually go anywhere

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I was gonna make a joke about it being Jesse looking at the camera and going "looks like I was finally able to take...Control", but then I remembered they already had an entire musical number based on that

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Opopanax posted:

Remedy has a real habit of their endings being sequel hooks that don't usually go anywhere

the sequel, Alt, will be ok, but the third game, Delete, will crash people's minds

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

The protagonist realized they were never actually in control, probably

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

Control had one of my least favorite things in gaming: a shitload of micromanaging equipment drops that do stuff like +7% reload speed or +3% chance to crit.

The worst part is that the mods, at least pre-DLC, largely weren't little fiddly nothing bonuses. Mind you, that doesn't change the fact that managing that stuff was indeed awful. I suspect that a non-zero number of the people who claim the guns flatout don't do anything actively avoided jumping through all the hoops that would allow them to function properly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Another thing about Control is that 3 of the 5 guns seemed totally useless, unlike real life in which every gun is a problem solver

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kazil posted:

the sequel, Alt, will be ok, but the third game, Delete, will crash people's minds

Sometimes its harder on the minds, but they'll just need to move past and heal

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Dewgy posted:

Correction: Will Scarlett-O’hara. :eng101:

He’s from Georgia.

What part of Georgia, south central?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The only game that I've played that feels like a montage is Uncharted 3, because those locations felt less connected than 1 and 2 did. Me and mind the walrus got a way different impression of what Control was going to be doing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Fil5000 posted:

i like that the service weapon chooses the next director. i cant remember if the codex spelled it out or i inferred this but i juat assumed it was mjolnir

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i like that the service weapon chooses the next director. i cant remember if the codex spelled it out or i inferred this but i juat assumed it was mjolnir

There's a note talking about the Service Weapon that describes it as working essentially like Mjolnir, Excalibur, and Varunastra (a weapon in Hindu myth). It never says these are all the same weapon, but the implication is certainly there to be drawn. And by extension, the implication that the Oldest House is a place that's changed location and form in the past, and might've been Asgard or Camelot.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Deathloop was really fun and I'll possibly revisit it for another playthrough, but it has one of the most egregiously broken abilities I've ever seen in a non-modded video game.

To put it simply: the game has abilities called Slabs that are functionally pretty much Plasmids from Bioshock. One slab, Nexus has the following abilities:

• Enemies within its area of effect are 'linked' to one another in a Nexus network.
  • The Nexus network drains your energy at a rate linearly proportional to the number of people in it, and persists for as long as you have any Energy.
  • An upgrade to Slab makes it so that anyone in the Nexus network who moves close enough to someone not caught in the original area of effect will join the network in turn. This has no upper limit.
  • Another optional upgrade makes it so that you regain a small amount of health from anyone who dies while part of a Nexus network.

And most critically, whatever happens to one person in a network happens to all of them.

So basically you can find the most densely populated area in a level, fire off Nexus, wait 1-2 seconds for the network to maximally expand, and then just before your power runs out, shoot a single person in the head and kill 20 guys at once while simultaneously completely filling your health bar and expending laughably small amounts of ammo for the effect you've just achieved.

If you have the silenced submachinegun, you can basically stealth kill the entire level like this with minimal effort and practically no sneaking, because you just need to walk up to just outside of detection range of every group of enemies, hit them with Nexus, and then cap someone in the head. Nobody close enough to see them die will hear you kill them or know where the shot came from, so even if you didn't get absolutely everyone within line of sight they'll just rush over to where the crowd got instakilled and clump up into another juicy target.

I've never seen the combat in a game be so easily trivialised by a mechanic working as intended before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Disco Elysium has FAR more good little things than bad, but the bugginess of the MAP journal page for tracking repeatable checks is wildly annoying.

It won't scroll properly, it doesn't always bring up an indicator of the location of the check, it doesn't clear checks that no longer relevant whatsoever, and I feel like it's really unclear whether "the ones on white are available to retry" means the ones on a white background but written with black text, or the ones on a dark background but written in white text.

The other little thing dragging it down is the weird gross wet clacky noises that play anytime you're on the character skill tree page.

Still, outstanding game.