Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

guppy posted:

I'm a big dummy so bear that in mind but I think, still, that there are lots of advantages to running stuff in the cloud where you can, but it isn't necessarily the best option for everything under the sun. We've shifted a lot of stuff to the cloud, but not all of it. And it is also possible for something to be better/easier to administer and also have a higher TCO, which is something you still have to consider. I also think there remains an enormous blind spot in the tech industry -- that is, organizations whose primary function is creating software products or whatever -- where they think that their poo poo is not only the only thing that matters but is in fact the only thing that exists -- and they don't really understand that most companies are not tech companies even if they need to have computers and servers and whatnot, so they make sweeping proclamations that are really only true in their lil pond. That's not a shot at i am a moron or anyone else; a lot of advice that I see is written by and for people who work for FAANG companies or other similarly tech-focused companies, and they have absolutely no grasp of the fact that their priorities are not, and should not be, everyone's priorities.

I take no offense. Hell, none of you are wrong. I'm just saying the cloud-only mindset is coming for you. It doesn't matter what your preference as an engineer or architect or whatever is. This isn't a FAANG thing, I don't work with FAANGs or anything I'd really describe as adjacent to that. Lately I've been working with gross, slow-moving, ancient-business-model F100's that have CIOs/CTOs/board members/whatever INSISTING cloud is the only way to go whether it makes any sense or not. IBM Cloud, OCI, AWS, Azure, GCP, whatever. The workloads are moving god drat it and no one can stop it. Are there still on-prem workloads? Sure. And the people working on them have as much time as it takes their orgs to retire those workloads or SaaSify them or whatever other options there are. And there are always going to be edge cases but I don't think there are going to be as many left in 3-5 years as some people in this thread are hoping. The cloud mind virus is coming for you and your company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Where's a good place for those of us completely unversed in cloud poo poo to start learning? Anytime I read a post about cloud tech, it turns into gibberish to me five words in. I'm just a dumb hardware guy, and I've been wondering where to go from here. I feel like eventually my position will also go the way of the dodo as companies shift to just straight up replacing whole laptops instead of bothering with field service repair. And I'm sure the repair depots that arise to handle the inhouse recycling and repairs of returned hardware will be dens of misery and awful KPIs, so I'd rather not be stuck there. I'm just not sure where to start with this cloud business, though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Organic Lube User posted:

Where's a good place for those of us completely unversed in cloud poo poo to start learning?

https://learntocloud.guide/

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, but I got my start loving around with free AWS/Azure/whatever trials in 2016-ish after getting some exposure to Azure Classic at a bank. I think they were just the personal trials but my company might've gotten us some free partner sandbox bucks too. I'd just do stuff like this:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/aks/tutorial-kubernetes-deploy-cluster?tabs=azure-cli
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/quick-create-portal
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/quick-cluster-create-terraform?tabs=azure-cli
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network-manager/tutorial-create-secured-hub-and-spoke
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/serverless-application-model/latest/developerguide/serverless-getting-started-hello-world.html

I then lied to clients about how well-versed I/my company was in doing cloud migrations and greenfields and Terraform eventually and went from there. The second part is going to be trickier if you aren't already in a position to be part of growing that sort of thing. The cloud does a lot of things for you but at some level you just gotta roll your sleeves up and figure out what the services do and how you use them. If you have experience in what the cloud is abstracting it makes it way easier to grasp the ways it makes your life easier too.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Organic Lube User posted:

Where's a good place for those of us completely unversed in cloud poo poo to start learning? Anytime I read a post about cloud tech, it turns into gibberish to me five words in. I'm just a dumb hardware guy, and I've been wondering where to go from here. I feel like eventually my position will also go the way of the dodo as companies shift to just straight up replacing whole laptops instead of bothering with field service repair. And I'm sure the repair depots that arise to handle the inhouse recycling and repairs of returned hardware will be dens of misery and awful KPIs, so I'd rather not be stuck there. I'm just not sure where to start with this cloud business, though.

Azure or AWS basic certification training. There’s the entry level certifications (Azure Fundamentals/AWS Cloud Practitioner) that are mostly for sales types and I’d say they’re a good starting point. You don’t have to get certified by any means but they’ll teach you the concepts.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

For AWS get one (or all of) the Stephane Maarek courses for :10bux: (each) on udemy. It’s 12-15+ hours of content per course and includes labs based on free tier so it won’t cost you a dime and matches fully with the certification exam if you want to take it (hit me up if you are serious and want a 50% discount voucher if your employer won’t pay for it). Even withiut the exams it’s worth it and you’ll learn a ton.

Adrian Cantrill has better more in depth courses with more exercies I believe, but pricea are higher.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know I'm a broken record on Intune, but if you currently do things adjacent to end-user computing, like replacing hardware on laptops, Intune seems like a good thing to look into to me.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Two OSI model references at work today by a Juniper rep

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
They just lost The Iron Rose's business for life

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Heard about your OSI references. That’s a real kick in the knackers. That’s a fight on sight, buddy.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the only acceptable way to model network traffic is enormous water computers like in making money

gloop

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
What kind of recruiter tries to recruit people with a number from Kyrgyzstan, what the hell

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hotel Kpro posted:

What kind of recruiter tries to recruit people with a number from Kyrgyzstan, what the hell

A Kyrgyzstani one?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Hotel Kpro posted:

Those 100% in-person 6-month contract-to-hire positions in Bishkek aren't going to fill themselves.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm really over this contractor status I've got. It was apparently a 3 month "contract to hire" we are about on month 5 of the contract and I just got the times for the holiday weekend. I am getting a poo poo ton of unpaid time off the next few weeks which is gonna make the year end paychecks a little short. Also gotta push back a medical procedure because I can't afford not to work for a week. Any tips on talking to my boss and professionally politely asking what the gently caress are you doing keeping me on the hook like this?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Two OSI model references at work today by a Juniper rep

If they stopped at L3, I'll allow it. L4-L7 is an unholy mess.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

LionYeti posted:

I'm really over this contractor status I've got. It was apparently a 3 month "contract to hire" we are about on month 5 of the contract and I just got the times for the holiday weekend. I am getting a poo poo ton of unpaid time off the next few weeks which is gonna make the year end paychecks a little short. Also gotta push back a medical procedure because I can't afford not to work for a week. Any tips on talking to my boss and professionally politely asking what the gently caress are you doing keeping me on the hook like this?

As much as it sucks, find a new job that isn't C2H. It's an active choice to have not converted you yet. If your work is satisfactory and you're not going anywhere, why would they eat the cost of making you a FTE?

edit: i have a friend on month 14 of a 6 month contract to hire job with Disney, the entire industry takes advantage of this.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

C2H is BS and is used by garbage companies. IME it is more often than not used to screwed people over.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I was a sucker who sat on a C2H position for a long time. Said it was usually 6 months, I was at almost 3 years before I was finally let go after policies changed. I did like the job and thought I was paid pretty well, but looking back on it I should have walked or certainly worked much less.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

LionYeti posted:

Any tips on talking to my boss and professionally politely asking what the gently caress are you doing keeping me on the hook like this?

The best way to talk this over is when you’re giving your 2 weeks notice after you’ve found another job and have a signed contract in hand.

Unfortunately they are taking advantage of you and have no intention to offer you a contract unless they absolutely have to.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

i am a moron posted:

I take no offense. Hell, none of you are wrong. I'm just saying the cloud-only mindset is coming for you. It doesn't matter what your preference as an engineer or architect or whatever is. This isn't a FAANG thing, I don't work with FAANGs or anything I'd really describe as adjacent to that. Lately I've been working with gross, slow-moving, ancient-business-model F100's that have CIOs/CTOs/board members/whatever INSISTING cloud is the only way to go whether it makes any sense or not. IBM Cloud, OCI, AWS, Azure, GCP, whatever. The workloads are moving god drat it and no one can stop it. Are there still on-prem workloads? Sure. And the people working on them have as much time as it takes their orgs to retire those workloads or SaaSify them or whatever other options there are. And there are always going to be edge cases but I don't think there are going to be as many left in 3-5 years as some people in this thread are hoping. The cloud mind virus is coming for you and your company.

Yeah. It might not stick, but it's definitely a thing.

A previous employer got worked over by a C-suite full of dogmatic 100% to the cloud people. They wouldn't believe the people who work on the stuff when they said an appropriate cloud offering to replace some of our on-prem things didn't exist. Think small scale exotic architecture + exotic OS combos, for which cloud offerings start in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, when our needs are one low end machine with a handful of VMs on it for checking off that arch/OS in the matrix for some components. Even for the run of the mill x86 stuff doing it all in the cloud ended up penciling out to be more expensive than keeping some base load on premises capacity. Those guys eventually left but they sure made a lot of extra work and spent a lot of extra money in the meantime for no reason except wanting to put that "Led an organizational transformation to 100% cloud infrastructure" bullet point on their CV.

The company that eventually bought us had also been burned by the cloud mind virus in the past and was more than happy to let us keep doing our thing on-prem where it made sense to.

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 20, 2023

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Thats a good way to put it. My company is all in on the cloud even for areas where it doesnt really make sense yet.

Thats the frustrating part for me really. We've done a lift and shift and dusted our hands off like its mission accomplished without actually taking the time to rearchitect our stuff in a cloud native way. And the same Csuite who pushed to move us to the cloud its bitching about the cost now.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thats a good way to put it. My company is all in on the cloud even for areas where it doesnt really make sense yet.

Thats the frustrating part for me really. We've done a lift and shift and dusted our hands off like its mission accomplished without actually taking the time to rearchitect our stuff in a cloud native way. And the same Csuite who pushed to move us to the cloud its bitching about the cost now.

Don't worry - I'm sure that executive will be held accountable for their poor decision making and planning :)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I'm sick of work, I want to go live in a beach shack and drink alcohol in the sun until I die of some alcohol related disease.

My boss brings up an issue that has apparently existed since long before I got here; some clients we work with are unable to text our users phone numbers. Ok, cool, do we have examples? "Make it work, have the texts go to Teams, that's what the users want"

That's not how any of this works dude, just, loving hell.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Internet Explorer posted:

”Cloud is somebody else's computer" is like ”Micro$oft"-level nails on a chalkboard for me. It's as close to a surefire way to tell that I can ignore the next words that person is going to say.

It's supposed to be a joke? :shrug:

Collateral Damage posted:

Public clouds obviously have advantages in not having to manage hardware lifecycles, but in that regard it's no different than plain old VM hosting, that was also "someone else's computer".

This is kind of how I've thought of it. To me, it's just another computer not something magical. It needs to be managed by someone just like every other piece of technology.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just want to be the dude sitting in the corner sipping on whiskey, big scraggly beard, The Dude bath robe, no shoes, who in the middle of meetings sometimes does an inquisitive "huh" when things are getting too dumb. No explanation or anything. I just say "huh" and go back to my whiskey. And everyone scrambles to figure out what I mean because something must be wrong. Oh yeah, and I'm only known by my nickname. Just like some old Scotch oracle everyone calls "Steely Dan" or some poo poo. No email address, phone number, or Teams/Slack. No one knows what I do other than when I say "huh" everyone reevaluates what they're talking about in some architecture discussion.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 19, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gucci Loafers posted:

It's supposed to be a joke? :shrug:

I promise you that there are plenty of people out there who do not think it is a joke.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

I'm sick of work, I want to go live in a beach shack and drink alcohol in the sun until I die of some alcohol related disease.

My boss brings up an issue that has apparently existed since long before I got here; some clients we work with are unable to text our users phone numbers. Ok, cool, do we have examples? "Make it work, have the texts go to Teams, that's what the users want"

That's not how any of this works dude, just, loving hell.

Bonus points for bringing it up three days before Christmas

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We're also stuck in a contract with our VOIP vendor until 2030, this is a vendor you've likely NEVER heard of unless you live in Iowa and even then you probably haven't heard of them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

since moving I occasionally go 3-4 days without putting on real shoes

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Internet Explorer posted:

I just want to be the dude sitting in the corner sipping on whiskey, big scraggly beard, The Dude bath robe, no shoes, who in the middle of meetings sometimes does an inquisitive "huh" when things are getting too dumb. No explanation or anything. I just say "huh" and go back to my whiskey. And everyone scrambles to figure out what I mean because something must be wrong. Oh yeah, and I'm only known by my nickname. Just like some old Scotch oracle everyone calls "Steely Dan" or some poo poo. No email address, phone number, or Teams/Slack. No one knows what I do other than when I say "huh" everyone reevaluates what they're talking about in some architecture discussion.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

I have already posted this dream except I tell them to gently caress off and retire.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

since moving I occasionally go 3-4 days without putting on real shoes

Oh yeah, same here. It's great not having to leave the house for a week or two at a time.

jaegerx posted:

I have already posted this dream except I tell them to gently caress off and retire.

"huh"
*sips whiskey*

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You need door jeans so you don’t look like a slob when you get your food delivered.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i didn't get into IT because I love getting a lot of sunshine or fresh air I tell ya what

that said, I'll be moving into a house next year and I'm looking forward to having gardening space. might try to set up a nice bench out of the rain while working

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MF_James posted:

We're also stuck in a contract with our VOIP vendor until 2030, this is a vendor you've likely NEVER heard of unless you live in Iowa and even then you probably haven't heard of them.

Is it TPX?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

jaegerx posted:

You need door jeans so you don’t look like a slob when you get your food delivered.

I keep door sweats personally

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I try to wear real pants every day because otherwise I feel tired and demotivated. For some reason wearing real pants makes me feel more put together and motivated.

I've got an interview sometime next week, the first one since I got laid off on Halloween. It would be maybe a bit of a raise, but it's C2H, which sucks. Still though, it pays more than unemployment, and has health insurance! Which is good because unemployment pays more than the medicaid limit.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

jaegerx posted:

When I decide to retire, I will absolutely hold off on saying anything until I get an appropriately stupid request. "I'm not going to do that. I quit," will be much more satisfying than, "I've decided to retire."

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I found out that apparently the person I was brought on to replace is the sole person in the department to get fired and go to comedy heaven.

Apparently they gave him an admin account for doing AD tasks, and then gave himself VPN access and an RSA token for login, then his next move was to tell the manager he can work from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
king poo poo