Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finally caught up. Goodbye Eri was great.

Tree Bucket's mashup is also great.

Great is... pretty darn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Dec 19, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

SimonChris posted:

The Vagabond of Limbo

I'll be honest, Vagabond hadn't been making a lot of sense to me - just too retro, maybe - but this moment with the guard, it speaks to me. It's nice.

Anyway, I mentioned I went through the cooking tag on Mangadex a couple days and one of the new manga I found gave me great joy: It's One Day Outing Foreman.

The art style is instantly recognisable to anyone who's read his work before: this is by Fukumoto Nobuyuki AKA FKMT, a well established and insanely prolific author noted for his focus on gambling, crime and psychological drama, as well as his distinctively ugly style of art. One Day Outing Foreman is not really a stereotypical FKMT work, though. It's well... here's the blurb on Mangadex:

quote:

At a certain prison under the surface, the "bottom of the bottom" that is the Teiai Underground Labor Facility, there is a man who uses his "one-day outing passes" to go above ground and enjoy all the luxuries of life while living in the poor conditions of the underground. His name is Ootsuki, and he is the leader of Squad E and a master of enjoying himself all day long with eating, drinking, and having a great time.

So yeah, it's a light hearted spinoff of Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji, which I haven't read, featuring what I assume are a couple of miniboss type characters on their day off from crushing indentured labour. Look, just read it, it's great.

This chapter is not very food forward, but we'll get to it.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The beer fridge with "Limit 3" but more cans in it than that, which if drunk presumably adds ridiculously to their already extortionate debt is a nice Kaiji touch

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Tiger, Tiger somehow reminds me of Dishonored, though not Victorian-era-esque of quite as bleak.

Also yeah, in was wondering what happened with Lavender Jack also.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Foxfire_ posted:

The beer fridge with "Limit 3" but more cans in it than that, which if drunk presumably adds ridiculously to their already extortionate debt is a nice Kaiji touch

You know, I did wonder about that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Valiantman posted:

Did Lavender Jack go on break or something?

Sort of! My webtoons downloader stopped working and I've been busy so it took me a while to find a new one. I should be able to start posting again today or tomorrow.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Spirit Circle

Oh hey, it's Robocat. And he's been repaired, by the looks of it

Huh

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Spirit Circle

Huh

"Watch out, this next life is super boring and nothing really happens to you in it. So anyway, this is the part where you met a time-travelling robot and an alien while investigating the mysterious block hovering over a mountain"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Paperinik and the Past Without a Future (transl. by secondhandscanlations)

This is well and truly the final Fantomius related scanlation I can find.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wait wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

There's humans in the duckverse?

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
hahaha what the hell, is spirit circle going to suddenly take a postmodernist swerve or something

i have literally no idea where this could be going

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Wait.

The commissioner has been in nearly every Fantomius story I have posted for the last several months... There were humans in the earlier posted duck stories as well.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Man, the resurrected daughter is a hosed up situation. She's an immortal with Alzheimer's, and she'll constantly forget why her mom isn't around anymore. She can't grow up. What kind of life will she have?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I've been hemming and hawing about posting MAJOR, would folks be interested in a baseball manga? It's nowhere near the quality of story telling that these other comics have, but it's fun and has baseball!

If there's interest (and maybe if there isn't) I'll probably get around to starting it when I have some time off in the next couple weeks.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Wait.

I think it's come up before that the European Duck comics are ambiguous about humans since the artists had a lot of leeway from Disney (they really didn't care that much about what goes on over here, really) with their stories and inventing Original Characters like Paperinik. Usually the default "human" setting is beagles with black noses, but some of the comics posted before have had straight up historical figures like Dante just turning up in human form alongside Donald & co.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

I've been hemming and hawing about posting MAJOR, would folks be interested in a baseball manga? It's nowhere near the quality of story telling that these other comics have, but it's fun and has baseball!

If there's interest (and maybe if there isn't) I'll probably get around to starting it when I have some time off in the next couple weeks.

gently caress ye

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

sports manga can be entertaining. as long as it's allowed to be posted i say go for it

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Tiger, Tiger

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF Comic: Looks like a cream pudding! A small soft noblelad!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

i like that "analmouth" is in the notebook with an X through it lol

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 39: Start Me Up (I'll never stop)

No utensil stand? The scandal!

Well, I always meant to come back to this one but I didn't realise it had been more than a year since I last posted it. Maybe a recap is a good idea?

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier! A fantasy world with rpg mechanics except written by someone who actually knows a thing or two about medieval society and all the rpg mechanics are manually operated! Experience and levels are tracked by people whose job it is to follow you around and record your adventures, right down to the combat log! Background music comes courtesy of a troupe of bards that also follow you around, ready to play the victory fanfare or defeat dirge as necessary! For some reason, all the characters are no making GBS threads actual medieval Catholics instead of some bullshit "Church of Light" nonsense!

We follow the adventures of Yoshida, a half-elf immigrant working as a courier in the Imperial city of Idazig: she's a bad person, but bad things keep happening to her, so maybe that's alright? Or the other way around? Her job sucks, her senior at work is lazy and incompetent, but Yoshida works her butt off anyway.

Episode 21: Human Resources, the Workload and the Courier

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

i like that "analmouth" is in the notebook with an X through it lol

And the cover of the book is "my notes" with the "s" turning into a heart.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Sakana

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Alright I'm gonna :justpost:

MAJOR is a pretty popular baseball manga that started in 1994 and ran to ~2015; needless to say there's a lot of comic to post. Major has both a sequel as well as an anime and has inspired a number of Japanese baseball players, including a Los Angeles Angels Dodgers player Shohei Ohtani. We will run out of translated chapters at some point, but that's not until Chapter 560 so I assume I'll run out of steam or someone will pick up where the last translation team left off 7 months ago.

I've never posted a comic in this thread so bear with me while I figure out the best cadence and how many pages to post in one go. It looks like ~ 8pages per post seems to hit the right narrative beats for the first chapter so I'll start with that.

MAJOR
Read right-to-left

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Never has someone's character been portrayed so thoroughly merely through their posing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fujimoto has nothing on this guy

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

One criticism that I’ve seen levied against this series is that both Tsumugi and Kohei are a little too perfect, Tsumugi does things that are appropriately childish, but she’s generally never the instigator in conflicts or truly “in the wrong,” and her dad almost always finds the right things to say to get her to learn the lesson by the end of the chapter, sometimes with a little help from others. While I can’t necessarily say that this criticism is wrong, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing. Having healthy parenting styles where the parent communicates with their child and treats them like a small human rather than “a kid” represented in media is important, I think, and I love this little family.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I kinda hope they never meet Kotori’s mom, and her only real contributions are in the form of cute recipes.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

not to bite on bpd's style but... guy in the bg stumbled upon the act

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Did Tower ever finish? I really liked it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Sweetness And Lightning

Don't know how I feel about that onion-cutting technique. I do it the other way around, i.e. the root of the onion is the 'anchor' that holds the thing together while you mince it.

Also, the vertical cuts should follow the curve of the onion, too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I think it's come up before that the European Duck comics are ambiguous about humans since the artists had a lot of leeway from Disney (they really didn't care that much about what goes on over here, really) with their stories and inventing Original Characters like Paperinik. Usually the default "human" setting is beagles with black noses, but some of the comics posted before have had straight up historical figures like Dante just turning up in human form alongside Donald & co.

Goes along with the shorts too, like the wizard Yen Sid and all. And not even getting into Sora and co. It's cartoon rules, that is barely any beyond executive mandates and even then.

The cartoons since Ducktales were stricter on that and even then not always. The reboot series has some fun with it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Samovar posted:

Don't know how I feel about that onion-cutting technique. I do it the other way around, i.e. the root of the onion is the 'anchor' that holds the thing together while you mince it.

Also, the vertical cuts should follow the curve of the onion, too.

Same here. I do like this guy, all my cuts are straight down though.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-easily-dice-an-onion-6260167

I've stopped bothering with step 8 however. Onions still get nicely dicey without it.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman: One Day Private Room Numakawa

Check out the titles of the books on the shelf.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paperinik and the Past Without a Future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
The Medieval Castle (April 1945)