Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

This came in the mail today:

It’s going on the wall above my movie shelves.

Etsy link if you want your own, the same seller also has a Hollywood Video sign if that’s more your speed.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1254007538/

Ngl I thought that was a photoshop until I clicked the link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Ah anxiety inducing art

How so?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

late fee reminder

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

late fee reminder

I worked for the company for like 7 years and they singlehandedly got me to appreciate physical media and started me on my journey to having a movie library, so they’ll always have a special place in my heart.

RIP Blockbuster.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
RIP the real video stores it loving destroyed.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Today's the last day of the Kino Lorber winter sale. I really wanted Bob le Flambeur, but to hit the free shipping threshold I got:

Bob le Flambeur
The Train (4k)
Touchez Pas au Grisbi
One, Two, Three

All blind buys.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Really wish arrow would stop using DHL for shipping. It's the most mild of inconvenience but their movies usually ship 5 hrs from me (KY to Chicago) and it's takes 4-5 days to get them because of the hand-off to usps.

Rant over.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

haven't seen the train but those other three are fun as hell

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I've decided that if Vinegar Syndrome is going to have a division dedicated to SOV, I absolutely need them to release Fatal Deviation.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I've decided that if Vinegar Syndrome is going to have a division dedicated to SOV, I absolutely need them to release Fatal Deviation.

Them or Saturn's Core or VHShitfest

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

RIP the real video stores it loving destroyed.

It’s the places that offered 5 movies/5 nights/5 bucks that should be immortalized, although I do miss Blockbuster too.

(RIP Randall Video)

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I'm at Movie Madness in Portland at least once a week. 90,000+ titles, run by a nonprofit that also runs the Hollywood Theatre (where I volunteer all the time). They've got lots of original costumes and props on display, they have free screenings in their cute little screening room, there's beer and popcorn, etc etc etc. It's magic.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

God drat that rules

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder if a place like Movie Madness has benefited from the blu ray era and how blu ray discs are less prone to damage than DVDs were.

As someone who worked at Blockbuster through a big part of the DVD era, something that killed our ability to maintain a large catalogue of films was just the fragility of DVDs. An older film might've had 2 or 3 copies on the shelf to start, but all it ever took was maybe a few rentals to get them all scratched up. Then of course that would be it, the company wasn't gonna spend a bunch of money restocking older films just to have the discs scratched up again. So a few years after the conversion to DVD most Blockbusters had gone through this process of attrition where they barely had anything on the shelves anymore unless it was a new release. So it became a business all about just the new releases each week, which they would stock us up with like 30 copies of, then after a few weeks when the movie wasn't popular anymore those extra copies would just be destroyed.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
That Avatar Collector’s edition will come back in stock, right? I just want my extra cuts but I didn’t think that it would sell out, or that they wouldn’t print anymore. I feel like it would be crazy, but with the way even major distributors and films are, who knows!?

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Big Mac posted:

I'm at Movie Madness in Portland at least once a week. 90,000+ titles, run by a nonprofit that also runs the Hollywood Theatre (where I volunteer all the time). They've got lots of original costumes and props on display, they have free screenings in their cute little screening room, there's beer and popcorn, etc etc etc. It's magic.

There's something about the PNW and video stores, I swear. Seattle also has Scarecrow Video which has a very similar story.

It's basically the video store I dreamed of as a kid.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

That Avatar Collector’s edition will come back in stock, right? I just want my extra cuts but I didn’t think that it would sell out, or that they wouldn’t print anymore. I feel like it would be crazy, but with the way even major distributors and films are, who knows!?

poo poo I wasn't even going to worry about that for another month.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if a place like Movie Madness has benefited from the blu ray era and how blu ray discs are less prone to damage than DVDs were.

As someone who worked at Blockbuster through a big part of the DVD era, something that killed our ability to maintain a large catalogue of films was just the fragility of DVDs. An older film might've had 2 or 3 copies on the shelf to start, but all it ever took was maybe a few rentals to get them all scratched up. Then of course that would be it, the company wasn't gonna spend a bunch of money restocking older films just to have the discs scratched up again. So a few years after the conversion to DVD most Blockbusters had gone through this process of attrition where they barely had anything on the shelves anymore unless it was a new release. So it became a business all about just the new releases each week, which they would stock us up with like 30 copies of, then after a few weeks when the movie wasn't popular anymore those extra copies would just be destroyed.

There's lots of blu-rays, sure especially the new releases. But a HUGE number of DVDs. I couldn't say what they rent out more of, but I'd guess like 60-70% of the not-new release catalog is DVD. I've never had a bum disc from them, either.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the difference is that Blockbuster was catering to EVERYONE, whereas Movie Madness mostly caters to the dorks who aren't gonna stream something. I remember knowing so many people who would leave discs laying around without putting them back in the case. I don't think those people watch stuff they can't stream.

There's 4k stuff, as well, of course. And VHS for is available for more stuff than you'd expect. There have also been some things I've rented that I could've sworn were bootlegs - I rent Hellzapoppin' a couple months ago, that was on DVD-R.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

We wait 73 years for an upgrade to the DVD and get done dirty like this, by James Cameron of all people? loving Christ.

I hope the Aliens and Abyss 4Ks aren’t all jacked up.

Yeah, I had a feeling, and I had a look at the Abyss 4K theatrical release trailer from a month ago. I figured that would give us some indicator on how it would look. I didn't notice anything at the time, but re-watching it now, there are a few shots in it that I feel are some cause for concern like the one at 0:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cCVYAcIIAo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The release of the year has arrived:

also VS is sending me a copy of Tremble All You Want and I get to keep The Ernie Game.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
yeah despite the poor picture quality and limited lifespan, you could kick a VHS around the room and they'd be fine

meanwhile, terrorvision are working on restoring ANOTHER old obscure kung fu from VHS hell, tbr sometime 2024:

https://twitter.com/BradFHenderson/status/1737273395794854180

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

dorium posted:

The release of the year has arrived:

Got mine yesterday as well. Can't wait to get through all the one more things.

They're still doing the ABC years as a 2nd set, I think?

I hope they do Kojak next.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I appreciate them separating the sets that way because I'm really only interested in the 70s episodes. When it came back in 1989 it wasn't the same, the writing for the Columbo character had changed.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like the 70's episodes the most and am excited to get my set today but I would really like a set with the last three seasons and specials too. I don't like them near as much but especially the last episode are still worth a watch IMO.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Couldn't decide on which artwork to go with, but I do really like this poster:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

esperantinc posted:

Got mine yesterday as well. Can't wait to get through all the one more things.

They're still doing the ABC years as a 2nd set, I think?

I hope they do Kojak next.

Yeah that’s still coming.

I’m interested in the ABC years but I may just wait for it to be on sale. I lucked out on this box set and my director at my job gave my team a $100 Amazon gift card each. Free Columbo!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Aftermath just posted a good article about the True Lies remaster and similar. I'm not one of the people who was burned by these releases because I wasn't planning on picking them up but the In The Mood For Love portion rings true, and as someone burned by the American Graffiti "remaster" I really do get it.

https://aftermath.site/true-lies-4k-uhd-blu-ray-james-cameron-peter-jackson-park-road-post

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The next conference for my subject area is likely to be held in Wellington in 2025. Shall I book extra time for myself when I’m down in Wellington to burn Park Road Post down to the ground?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

edogawa rando posted:

The next conference for my subject area is likely to be held in Wellington in 2025. Shall I book extra time for myself when I’m down in Wellington to burn Park Road Post down to the ground?

They'll never catch you because all pics will be AI Upscaled and no detail will exist to identify your visage.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Aftermath just posted a good article about the True Lies remaster and similar. I'm not one of the people who was burned by these releases because I wasn't planning on picking them up but the In The Mood For Love portion rings true, and as someone burned by the American Graffiti "remaster" I really do get it.

https://aftermath.site/true-lies-4k-uhd-blu-ray-james-cameron-peter-jackson-park-road-post

I was so bummed when I saw comparison stills for the Aliens remaster, same with The Abyss. I had no idea about the True Lies fiasco till about a day or two ago holy loving poo poo. :stare:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aliens and The Abyss fall into the category where it's certainly not ideal, definitely a missed opportunity, but I'm still gonna end up buying them. I haven't seen anything that makes me feel like they're bad enough to outweigh the advantages that the UHD format brings(mainly HDR).

True Lies looks really really terrible though. Distracting to the point that it would be tough to watch, like definitely worse than Terminator 2.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really like True Lies so that's very disappointing. I hope Aliens is better, may just stick with my blu ray from the quadrilogy set.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

quote:

What makes all of this worse is that True Lies, as I understand it, did not need to be shoved through the AI wringer. According to The Digital Bits, Park Road Post had a recent 4k scan of True Lies from the original camera negative. Park Road Post’s own website claims they have a Lasergraphics Director 10K film scanner on the premises.

what the gently caress?????????

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

LOL at them using the pirated version for screen caps and not even changing the file names though

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

no one should pay for that poo poo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/ghoulbasement/status/1737479187575849106?s=46
This made me laugh

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/thefilmstage/status/1737582998478819407?s=46

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Absolutely noooooooothing has shipped from VS or Severin in time for Christmas, but you know who'll treat ya right?

:hellyeah:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Hell yeah. I'm hoping for that Columbo set for Christmas but if not it's no biggie.

My VS order has finally shipped, which is nice, mostly because it means Shiva Baby will be here in time for a friend's birthday. We tossed in a copy for ourselves while we were at it, too.

Oh and my The Warriors Limited Edition set arrived today! Had to have the classic poster as the disc cover, and the book is a real beauty in-person. This is basically as perfect a release as we're going to get and I'm really happy about it. Can't wait to watch the theatrical cut - I've only seen the version with the comic book transitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Another film being released on Blu-ray in the US before a UK theatrical release date...