Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a big difference in quality between the AirPods Pro 1st gen and the newest ones? I was hoping to get a battery replacement (aka a full replacement for £30 cheaper than a "repair") for my 1st gen set due to the crackling/static issue in one of them, but then I discovered that the battery fee is £49 per loving ear. at which point I'm halfway towards just upgrading to the new ones anyway.

FYI beats fit pros sound exactly like bass-boosted airpod pros (gen 1, I haven't tried gen 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I think the case for second gen got an AirTag chip popped in it for find my support.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

withak posted:

You aren’t supposed to “wish” for stuff, you are supposed to buy what The Algorithm shows gives you.

This but you can sign up for the Apple Credit Card with a low introductory 30% APR and then whenever you see an item you want to add on your wish list you just buy on credit bingo bango it’s so simple

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Jose Oquendo posted:

YMMV but I found the noise cancelling to be better in the 2nd gen. They also have slightly better battery life and Find My Support which I 'thin'k' the first gen doesn't.
Maybe I ought to just save up for a bit and buy new AirPods then rather than replace the battery / unit in a single ear to get rid of the static every time I put them in.

Clark Nova posted:

FYI beats fit pros sound exactly like bass-boosted airpod pros (gen 1, I haven't tried gen 2)
They're more or less the same price as AirPods Pro 2 unfortunately so I'm not sure of the benefit other than being bassier. :(

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

YMMV but I found the noise cancelling to be better in the 2nd gen. They also have slightly better battery life and Find My Support which I 'thin'k' the first gen doesn't.

The find my support on 2g is kinda worthless imo

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

mawarannahr posted:

The find my support on 2g is kinda worthless imo

When it works it’s ok for finding the case but it doesn’t loving work a lot of the time.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dogen posted:

When it works it’s ok for finding the case but it doesn’t loving work a lot of the time.

In general I've found it sucks for anything that's not a phone or a tag. I'll get alerts i left my laptop or tablet behind when it's in my bag. I'm pretty sure i saw an alert pop up on the iPad that I left it behind while I was using it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

In general I've found it sucks for anything that's not a phone or a tag. I'll get alerts i left my laptop or tablet behind when it's in my bag. I'm pretty sure i saw an alert pop up on the iPad that I left it behind while I was using it.

That strikes me as a reasonable policy, barring issues where the location stuff on one (or more) of the devices isn't working correctly. If you leave your device behind and someone picks it up and starts using it (even/especially if they've entered a passcode they got by, say, shoulder surfing), you'd still want to know that it was left behind.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

I’m about to upgrade from an iPhone 8.

I’m a computer nerd who builds his own PC, day-to-day do stuff in a nerd field, and even did iOS app dev stuff for a while. But I just don’t need annual or even biennial phone upgrades. I don’t game on my phone or make influencer movies on it; my use cases are generally not overly demanding. I replaced the battery in my 8 once and that gave it like an extra couple years of life.

My reasons for the upgrade are USB-C to reduce wire types in our house and while traveling, 8gb of lpddr5 as a huge upgrade over the 8’s 2gb (apps and web are ever more memory hungry), support for iOS 17, and a bump in storage/wifi/5g standards. It’s just kinda… time? I’d never put a hard 5 year bound on things but phone tech rate of change is slowing down. I could afford to upgrade any given year but simply don’t choose to do so.

I ended up getting a 15 pro. it's fine. it does all those things above. no heat issues so far

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Anyone else found that they get stupid Game Center toasts every time they enter a game in 17.2?
GC is turned off, of course.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yes. It's kinda annoying. I only get prompted by one app to use GC anyway, it used to be that after an update, the first three times I'd open the app I'd get the full page prompt to sign in, which was more annoying overall, but after three times of dismissing it, you wouldn't see any GC prompt at all.

Now I get the banner pop-up every time, and while it's easier to dismiss or just ignore until it goes away, it's definitely persisted way past three launches of the app. It's annoying that there's not a way just to tell Apple or the game that I'm 100% wholly uninterested in using their service, but Apple's gonna Apple.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I'm curious to know how iMessage works with dual sims..

Last year I had a 13 pro max when I went on a trip, didn't know you could do sim/esim, plus I wasn't sure if the country had wide e-sim support so i just bought a regular sim at the airport and switched out my normal sim. Subsequently all my messages from imessage stopped getting sent to my phone. Not sure if there's any way to keep your imessages linked but I thought it was fine until about a week or two into my vacation when I stopped receiving messages.

Anyways, this year I'm going on vacation again but I have a 15 pro max now. If I keep my esim from the States in the phone... will it continue to send me imessages from my account even if my main sim will not be the one that's tied to imessage?

Also does my regular sim get shutoff when I switch to the other sim? I want to be sure I'm not sending data from it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You can send and receive iMessage using more than one SIM. One will be your default number when you initiate texts; you can change it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

How ruthless is apple's trade in program? I'm looking to upgrade my 13 mini to a 15 pro, and I've realised it'd actually be way cheaper per month if I buy a new handset from Apple in instalments, and then a cheap sim-only contract.
However the maths only works out if I also trade in my 13 mini via apple.

It's in excellent condition, and so Apple's UK website has quoted me £300 trade in value.

There are no scratches on the screen, and there's no cosmetic damage anywhere besides at the very top of the bezel, near the notch, there's a small scratch mark.

It's over the black bezel and doesn't come near the screen itself, and only visible in certain lighting conditions. You cant even feel it if you run your finger along it. But it is there.

For phone carriers' trade in schemes that can be enough to half the quoted trade in value. Anyone got any experience with the fruit stand on this?

I’ve traded a 12 and 13 pro in with lots of scratches on both screens. The 12 pro also had a tiny sub 1mm nick on the bezel where the body meets the screen. Both of these got full trade in value in the UK.

I think if the housing is actually damaged to the point where it’s bent you wont get it. I’ve always used the mail in service to trade in and its pretty quick.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I traded in a water damaged iPhone to AT&T once. It was great. Thing fell in the sea and the camera didn’t even work no more.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I traded in a water damaged iPhone to AT&T once. It was great. Thing fell in the sea and the camera didn’t even work no more.

Ooooh,
Who trades in an iPhone
That was under the sea?
VEG-E-TA-BEL

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vegetable posted:

You can send and receive iMessage using more than one SIM. One will be your default number when you initiate texts; you can change it.
I'm slightly confused about this. While abroad, do you initiate iMessage with your foreign number? What happens if someone messages you first?

According to this (and I have Verizon), it seems like it could get tricky to avoid getting dinged for international roaming: https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/14yrqa7/using_imessage_abroad_with_home_number_while/

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
15 pro camera is good and I would like to take more photos.

One thing I miss from android is how it would automatically keep the photos app clean. But Apple photos is a horrible mess of screenshots, saved images from the web, memes sent via WhatsApp, and actual photos. Are there any apps or hidden settings that can clean this up so I just have my photos in the photos app?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm slightly confused about this. While abroad, do you initiate iMessage with your foreign number? What happens if someone messages you first?

According to this (and I have Verizon), it seems like it could get tricky to avoid getting dinged for international roaming: https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/14yrqa7/using_imessage_abroad_with_home_number_while/
iMessage, to my knowledge, is basically an app. You can use it over any internet connection. So you can use it with your foreign number's data plan or your hotel's WiFi or whatever.

To avoid getting dinged for roaming, well, just turn off roaming on your Verizon line. As mentioned, as long as you have some form of internet connection, iMessage will still let you send and receive messages using your Verizon number. That's my understanding.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Any way to stop my phone from complaining about how loud my headphones are? I never have the volume above half full.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's in the Health app.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Grumbles posted:

One thing I miss from android is how it would automatically keep the photos app clean. But Apple photos is a horrible mess of screenshots, saved images from the web, memes sent via WhatsApp, and actual photos. Are there any apps or hidden settings that can clean this up so I just have my photos in the photos app?
In WhatsApp > Settings > Chats you can set a toggle to stop it automatically saving everything to the camera roll.

In Photos, scroll down on the main screen and under Media Types screenshots are separated so you can delete them all if you like.

There’s no easy way I know of to separate out “images actually taken on this phone” from the camera roll, which is a shame. I’m kind of surprised the Photos app doesn’t appear to have Smart Albums? Seems like a strange omission IMO

American McGay posted:

It's in the Health app.
…except for “certain regions” where it’s mandatory :waycool:

TACD fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 19, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
iPhone wallpaper sites besides interfacelift? That site has been around for eons and I still don’t see new pics whenever I check there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RandolphCarter posted:

Any way to stop my phone from complaining about how loud my headphones are? I never have the volume above half full.

Buy her earplugs

Or move out

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm curious to know how iMessage works with dual sims..

Last year I had a 13 pro max when I went on a trip, didn't know you could do sim/esim, plus I wasn't sure if the country had wide e-sim support so i just bought a regular sim at the airport and switched out my normal sim. Subsequently all my messages from imessage stopped getting sent to my phone. Not sure if there's any way to keep your imessages linked but I thought it was fine until about a week or two into my vacation when I stopped receiving messages.

Anyways, this year I'm going on vacation again but I have a 15 pro max now. If I keep my esim from the States in the phone... will it continue to send me imessages from my account even if my main sim will not be the one that's tied to imessage?

Also does my regular sim get shutoff when I switch to the other sim? I want to be sure I'm not sending data from it.

You register both identities in the list of valid iMessage addresses (which can be phone numbers or email addresses) so you will receive messages to your iPhone, iPad or Mac on all the registered addresses. You will have to set up a default outbound address which will be used for outgoing messages. Disabling a sim might remove it from iMessage if you keep it off for a long while.

Data usage is managed by setting up a default data sim in settings.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 17.2.1 is out. Provides important bug fixes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

You change your outgoing iMessage to either the foreign number or your email. Your Apple contacts won’t notice a thing.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
If you’re on Verizon and not some small MVNO, and you’re using one of their “unlimited” plans, you don’t even need to do anything if you’re okay either paying $10/day or on one of their more plans where it’s included.

When we were in Europe earlier this year, we just turned off airplane mode when we landed and used our phones. I’m sure there are cheaper things you can do, but we both already had the 10 days of international service banked as part of some stupid Verizon perk and didn’t pay a cent for the week we were there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

~Coxy posted:

Anyone else found that they get stupid Game Center toasts every time they enter a game in 17.2?
GC is turned off, of course.

People actually use Game Center? :confused:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

buglord posted:

iPhone wallpaper sites besides interfacelift? That site has been around for eons and I still don’t see new pics whenever I check there.
It’s not a site but ages ago I subscribed to some rando’s shared iPhone wallpaper album, there’s some nice ones in there.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

There are some decent ones at https://wall.alphacoders.com/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

maduin posted:

If you’re on Verizon and not some small MVNO, and you’re using one of their “unlimited” plans, you don’t even need to do anything if you’re okay either paying $10/day or on one of their more plans where it’s included.

When we were in Europe earlier this year, we just turned off airplane mode when we landed and used our phones. I’m sure there are cheaper things you can do, but we both already had the 10 days of international service banked as part of some stupid Verizon perk and didn’t pay a cent for the week we were there.
Right, that’s what I did in Europe last summer and what I’ll be doing in Costa Rica next month (followed by Mexico but my Do More plan gives me free coverage in Canada and Mexico). So while I’m covered for this trip, I will empty my bank of travel pass days, and I’m also wondering for a generally longer international trip.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tourist eSIMs are really cheap and generous in many places, especially if you buy it online before you arrive.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Instead of creating yet another account to use some mobile game's online component, I can just use the one already integrated with the phone and bypass all that nonsense. It's a nice option to have.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't use it, that's the point!
Pre-17.2, you got a couple of nag screens to use it and if you cancelled out of those it would stop toasting you.
17.2 the toast comes up every time.
Hopefully it's one of the hidden fixed in 17.2.1.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

You change your outgoing iMessage to either the foreign number or your email. Your Apple contacts won’t notice a thing.

In my experience, this isn’t true. It SEEMS like this should be how it works, but if you do this, your Apple contacts start saying “why are you texting me from your email” and you look quite the fool.

OP, I’m phone posting right now so I can’t find it, but search my posts in this thread for a full write up on how to use your phone with an international SIM and not have to pay Verizon any money. It’s much less intuitive than it should be, but my 2.5 week trip to Australia earlier this year only cost me 20 bucks to buy an eSIM, vs the $180 it would have cost to use Verizon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TACD posted:

It’s not a site but ages ago I subscribed to some rando’s shared iPhone wallpaper album, there’s some nice ones in there.

How do you subscribe to shared albums? That link opens in Safari for me but doesn't let me sub to it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

How do you subscribe to shared albums? That link opens in Safari for me but doesn't let me sub to it.
Oh huh, I kind of assumed because it’s public it would just let people subscribe. I do remember I had to message the guy and ask to be invited in the first place, now I think of it.

I found the original post on Reddit, he’s still maintaining the album so I imagine you could still PM him and ask for an invite. I didn’t realise it would be a hassle, sorry.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

SlowBloke posted:

You register both identities in the list of valid iMessage addresses (which can be phone numbers or email addresses) so you will receive messages to your iPhone, iPad or Mac on all the registered addresses. You will have to set up a default outbound address which will be used for outgoing messages. Disabling a sim might remove it from iMessage if you keep it off for a long while.

Data usage is managed by setting up a default data sim in settings.

Aphrodite posted:

So if I turn off my AT&T sim in the States it'll remove it from iMessage but I should still be able to get imessages for "my" account though right? Because what happened last year was it asked if I wanted to add my foreign number after it recognized a new sim and I said yes but it ended up not actually syncing with my imessages.

TACD posted:

Oh huh, I kind of assumed because it’s public it would just let people subscribe. I do remember I had to message the guy and ask to be invited in the first place, now I think of it.

I found the original post on Reddit, he’s still maintaining the album so I imagine you could still PM him and ask for an invite. I didn’t realise it would be a hassle, sorry.

weird I can see the images just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
https://coolhunting.com/tech/apples-next-generation-carplay-shown-with-aston-martin-and-porsche/

If you can buy a new Porsche or Aston Martin, you can have next gen Carplay.