Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

Latest Chris Sumo vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcxTT1uFjIM

Where he talks about ex-Yutakayama's gym closing down then says he reached out to him twice to promote it on the channel but got no reply and I felt he said it in a way that felt like the two were connected. Then talks about ex-Kotokantetsu who quite sumo because of COVID and he didn't feel safe and he goes on to ask if he wouldn't compete at the height of COVID then why would he go to sumo tournaments a couple of years later when circumstances have changed.
Lol Chris when it comes to anything other than translating news or actual in ring footage/analysis. Guy is good for news, but all his views are either self-important bs or just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Kotokantetsu can be explained pretty straightforward with sumo communal living is going to be harder to avoid covid than almost any other living situation and by 2022 maybe he's either given up on things being better, went vaxxed and relaxed or as an audience member he can wear a mask that makes him feel comfortable.

Or maybe he decided being a rikishi sucked poo poo in general for him and covid gave him an out that seemed easier to express.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Kotokantetsu can be explained pretty straightforward with sumo communal living is going to be harder to avoid covid than almost any other living situation and by 2022 maybe he's either given up on things being better, went vaxxed and relaxed or as an audience member he can wear a mask that makes him feel comfortable.

Or maybe he decided being a rikishi sucked poo poo in general for him and covid gave him an out that seemed easier to express.

Yeah, I watched the vid for the Enho update (feeling much better, he's been back doing training matches for the first time).

The Koto thing is even dumber. Chris also calls him out for not just the going to tournament thing, but also if he feared COVID so much, why did he go to work in a restaurant after leaving? Like the guy doesn't have to actually work for a living. And as everyone knows, a 23 year old who dropped out of school at 15 who's only transferable job skills are cleaning and cooking can be super choosy about their careers.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

Lol Chris when it comes to anything other than translating news or actual in ring footage/analysis. Guy is good for news, but all his views are either self-important bs or just the worst.

Yeah, I like him for the news I otherwise wouldn't get but he has a way of injecting his personal beliefs/narration into a video and sometimes presenting them as fact.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
It's nice to get quick updates on how stuff is going on tour or with some of the stuff sumo adjacent, but I'll echo the sentiment that it leans too much towards editorializing rather than journalism.

E.g.: Over the weekend there was a nice video summarizing a Japanese piece about Aoiyama's history in sumo. I had no idea he had been a fixture in makuuchi for so long. He's a similar age as Tamawashi (and Tochi), but doesn't show much sign of hanging it up anytime soon.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Nativity In Black posted:

It's nice to get quick updates on how stuff is going on tour or with some of the stuff sumo adjacent, but I'll echo the sentiment that it leans too much towards editorializing rather than journalism.

E.g.: Over the weekend there was a nice video summarizing a Japanese piece about Aoiyama's history in sumo. I had no idea he had been a fixture in makuuchi for so long. He's a similar age as Tamawashi (and Tochi), but doesn't show much sign of hanging it up anytime soon.

I don't mind him. He's indulgent as hell, but he sometimes has some pretty unique points of access and he is obviously a passionate fan. So even if I don't agree, I respect his hustle.

Re: Aoiyama, here is Kintamayama's translation of some of the same info, for the benefit of those in the thread not on his mailing list.

Kintamayama posted:

His nickname is Daniel. At the Kyushu Basho in November, Aoyama (37, Kasugano) was ranked Juryo 1 east and had 8 wins and 7 losses, ensuring his return to Makuuchi next basho. He had a record of 7 wins and 7 losses entering the final day, and faced Takahashi, beating him for the kachikoshi. Naruto Oyakata (former Ozeki Kotooushuu), also from Bulgaria, rushed to the dressing room to congratulate him.

Aoyama expressed his gratitude for the handshake and congratulatory words from his hometown senior, saying, ``I'm really happy that he made the effort and came all the way here.'' Those around him know better than himself that he is a valuable asset that transcends the boundaries of his heya. He had 5 wins and 10 losses in Aki at Maegashira 14 and fell to Juryo for the first time in 5 years and 10 months. This also meant that the prestigious Kasugano stable was without a makuuchi wrestler for the first time in 56 years, since the Aki basho in 1967, He did drop to Juryo once back in January 2018 but returned after one basho to Makuuchi. It was during that basho that his heyamate Tochinoshin won the yusho and ex- Tochiouzan was also active. Currently, Aoiyama is the second oldest Sekitori after Tamawashi, who is 39 years old. Both Tochinoshin and Tochiouzan, with whom he used to practice intensely at their heya, have retired.

Before the fall to Juryo this time, Aoiyama had revealed his inner feelings. Aoyama: "I know about the history of the heya. There's pressure. I try not to think about it too much. But if I'm not thinking about anything, that means I'm not thinking about the heya. After all, it's history. I don't want the record (Kasugano presence in Makuuchi) to be interrupted. After all, I am a sumo wrestler at the Kasugano stable." He joined sumo in 2009 at the former Tagonoura stable. However, former Maegashira Kushimaumi his Oyakata suddenly passed away at the age of 46 in February 2012. In the absence of a successor, he was forced to transfer heyas, as his was folding. Aoyama: ``Originally, I went to Kasugano beya for training, and the wife (of the former Tagonoura Oyakata) told me, ``If possible, I'd like you to go to Kasugano beya. There are a lot of Sekitori there, and you can become even stronger.'' I'm really glad I listened to her and went to Kasugano . If I hadn't gone there, I don't know how long I would have stayed in Makuuchi. At the time of the death of Tagonoura I had only experienced 2 Makuuch bashos. Now I have 70 Makuuchi bashos under my belt. It's been almost 12 years. I am where I am today because I joined Kasugano.."

The actual heya transfer procedure back then was unprecedented, and there are actually very few people involved who knew about it. Aoyama: “I received an envelope from Chairman Kitanoumi (who took office for the second time at the end of January 2012). It was a normal sized envelope. It was delivered to everyone (in the former Tagonoura stable) there. One by one, each rikishi wrote down which heya they wanted to go to and sent it in. There was no need to consult in advance about which heya they wanted to go to. Everyone thought they were going to the Dewanoumi beya. I sent the envelope, and until the announcement was made the next day, I thought, ``I could feel lonely by myself.'' Just as I was thinking that, Aozora and Aokishin also chose the Kasugano stable. I was happy. Out of the eight members, five went to Dewanoumi including Kairyuu, and three of us went to Kasugano. The training at Kasugano was tough, but it was the path I chose. I'm glad I chose it." Up until then, in similar cases when changing heyas, it was customary for all wrestlers to change their affiliations to one other heya. It was unusual for the transfer to be divided into multiple heyas and to respect the wishes of each individual. That's why he couldn't make any excuses and became attached to the heya. Aoyama: "I really managed to do great training with Tochinoshin and Tochiouzan. We are almost the same age. They were born a year later than me, but Tochiouzan was born a bit earlier, so we were in the same school- grade. I think it's because of those two that I'm where I am today. That's why I try to lend my chest as much as possible, even to young wrestlers. As I get older, I suffer a lot of pain, so I wake up early and do a lot of warm-up exercises." He is known for training not only the wrestlers from Kasugano, but also wrestlers from other stables during jungyo tours. ``Practice is the only way to become stronger.'' He has now obtained Japanese citizenship. The 37-year-old, who was born in the Showa era, feels it is his mission to pass on the intense training methods of Kasugano beya to the next generation.

If he returns to Makuuchi next basho he will be fighting in the first half and we will once again see him leaving the shitakubeya in a hurry, saying, ``I have to go pick up my daughter from kindergarten.'' On November 29, it was announced that heyamate Tochimusashi will be returning to Juryo., and will be the second sekitori at the stable. In the shitakubeya after his last bout on senshuraku last basho, Aoiyama said:``I want the young people to gambarize and not give up.'' To those words, Aoiyama added, ``Maybe I should gambarize as well..'' and smiled. Kasugano beya, whose continuous reign with at least one Makuuchi rikishi came to an end last basho, is about to begin a new chapter in its history.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lucasar posted:

I don't mind him. He's indulgent as hell, but he sometimes has some pretty unique points of access and he is obviously a passionate fan. So even if I don't agree, I respect his hustle.

I definitely appreciate the work and I'll watch just about anything he comes out with because dude puts in the work and gets stuff you can't really get anywhere else in English. Just need to know when to tune out the commentary and appreciate the video.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 15, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I too want the young people to gambarize and not give up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ganbatte kudasai, imo.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Saw this on Reddit, RIP.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202312170001399.html

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Wow, he was only 60.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, that's a very young age to die.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Especially in Japan, where the average is 80+.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

His family has had it pretty rough. His brother Sakahoko/Izutsu died at 58 and his other Rikishi brother Kakureizan, passed at 60 as well, all in the past couple years.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
ex-rikishi tend to have shorter lifespans in general, but yeah, all three at 60-ish is real bad. their mother had died aged 47 as well, just before terao first entered sumo. (their dad made it to 77.)

rip :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5_kgISMKNg

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
An early Christmas present from my wife:

Enjoying the two cups as the yoko's attendants.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that's fuckin' sick

i am also getting sumo related presents this year :ssh:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

New sumostew video dropped, and like all of them, it's a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MihLjUZgro

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lucasar posted:

Enjoying the two cups as the yoko's attendants.
that's really neat! you might already know, but looks like that's the 12th yokozuna Jinmaku in the middle, with Aioi as his tachimochi and Shachinoumi as the tsuyuharai - based on an Ukegawa woodblock, I think:

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Apraxin posted:

that's really neat! you might already know, but looks like that's the 12th yokozuna Jinmaku in the middle, with Aioi as his tachimochi and Shachinoumi as the tsuyuharai

I didn't know, that's great info thanks! Good eye.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was watching a sumo analysis show on NHK (Ozumo Dosukoi Ken) about the tachiai. They had polled makunouchi rikishi on a bunch of things, one being where they were looking during the shikiri phase, when they're stretching and strutting and wiping their sweat before they get onto the dohyo for realsies.

I had a good laugh when I saw the responses. There were 14 answers given (plus one that was "no response"). Thirteen of them dealt with their opponent: looking at him, at his eyes, at his face, at his chest, at him and around him, etc. The fourteenth answer was "at the audience," courtesy of--who else?--Shodai.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It’s important to judge how best to disappoint the crowd

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

It’s important to judge how best to disappoint the crowd

Dude's just wondering where he is and why there are so many people watching him.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Hirayuki posted:

I was watching a sumo analysis show on NHK (Ozumo Dosukoi Ken) about the tachiai. They had polled makunouchi rikishi on a bunch of things, one being where they were looking during the shikiri phase, when they're stretching and strutting and wiping their sweat before they get onto the dohyo for realsies.

I had a good laugh when I saw the responses. There were 14 answers given (plus one that was "no response"). Thirteen of them dealt with their opponent: looking at him, at his eyes, at his face, at his chest, at him and around him, etc. The fourteenth answer was "at the audience," courtesy of--who else?--Shodai.

SHODAI!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWgC78TM6Jk

Atamifuji got some kind of rookie of the year award, here's a short interview (bring your own translation)

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

We get a banzuke for Christmas!

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Here's Chris' rundown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-bwGJ8cD10

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Pumped, got tickets for two days including the last one so I'm very much Team Engrossing Sumo this Basho so it isn't a fugging dead rubber on the final Sunday. Open to suggestions for cool poo poo to do over there, in addition to the obvious pilgrimage to Meatland.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Very happy for Ura, but cheering for Kirishima above all else. I can't believe the January basho is this close already.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
Firmly in the camp of "Kirishima Yokozuna so Terunofuji can retire"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Have yourself a SHODAI little Christmas, everyone.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Personally, I think it would be quite fitting for Terunofuji to show up and win this one and then disappear for several months again while Kirishima gets promoted.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i got a 2024 sumo calendar and november illustrated banzuke for christmas!! very excited to hang these up

merry christmas sumo fam!

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 25, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I also got the calendar! and two plastic files, one with Terunofuji and Hoshoryu and the other with Takakeisho and Kirishima. I think they're preorder bonuses? The calendar is the only Christmas gift I ask for from my former host sister, and she always comes through (even though she maintains sumo is for old people). :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thinking about doing my annual trip in November this year so I can take in a day or two at Fukuoka basho. Never done a late trip before but I've hears so many good things about a basho in a more intimate stadium that I'm willing to give it a try!

Now let's hope Teru's body holds up!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

some kinda jackal posted:

Thinking about doing my annual trip in November this year so I can take in a day or two at Fukuoka basho. Never done a late trip before but I've hears so many good things about a basho in a more intimate stadium that I'm willing to give it a try!

Now let's hope Teru's body holds up!

If it's November, we might have an entirely different yokozuna by then too; stranger things have happened!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Aw man, kotoeko fell to juryo :sadwave:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fearless posted:

If it's November, we might have an entirely different yokozuna by then too; stranger things have happened!

I am mentally prepared for for Yokozuna Ura

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Chiyomaru has publicly announced his marriage and provided a portrait of his new spouse for the media:
https://twitter.com/tochu_sports/status/1739398108805845126

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

I am mentally prepared for for Yokozuna Ura

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE