Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mulder is a logger living and working under an assumed identity

He's at the Smoking Man's cabin in the Canadian north

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulder becomes Gen Q's Smoking Man. Genius!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Shageletic posted:

How do you do a conspiracy show when the only conspiracies people care about is racism
The Darin Morgan season 10 episode 'The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat' explains perfectly why The X Files just wouldn't work in its original format any more, and should really have been the final episode ever because it dynamites the entire premise of the show when it's placed in a modern context.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah they basically flip the dynamic around whenever there's a religious episode. Mulder becomes the skeptic and Scully is totally ready to believe that the devil is here or an angel or whatever crazy poo poo. Aliens though? Scully ain't down for that.

I remember my dad dropping off the show because he got irritated at Scully's skepticism, but it always gets characterised as "there's no such thing as werewolf aliens" when she's much more "look, let's explore the more likely avenues than werewolf aliens, like a hosed up guy with a disease maybe" while Mulder is like "GOD?! LMAO gently caress you, Scully!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

X-Files would totally work these days with the government as an active antagonist.

The DEEP STATE doesn't want you to know about Greys.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

I remember my dad dropping off the show because he got irritated at Scully's skepticism, but it always gets characterised as "there's no such thing as werewolf aliens" when she's much more "look, let's explore the more likely avenues than werewolf aliens, like a hosed up guy with a disease maybe" while Mulder is like "GOD?! LMAO gently caress you, Scully!"

I think the reason that Scully's skepticism can get irritating for some people is that Mulder's lunatic hunches end up correct 99% of the time. So after a while of this people end up going like wtf Scully how many times does Mulder need to be right before you give him some slack with his insane theories?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Then every time there's a religion themed episode, Scully is like "Mulder you are a close-minded bigot for not recognizing that baby Jesus himself came to earth and gave this girl stigmata"

E: gently caress, I probably should have read more than one post before replying

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ginette Reno posted:

I think the reason that Scully's skepticism can get irritating for some people is that Mulder's lunatic hunches end up correct 99% of the time. So after a while of this people end up going like wtf Scully how many times does Mulder need to be right before you give him some slack with his insane theories?

That's true, but it feels the formula is often more:

1) Mulder attributes a spree of crimes to something he read about in Fortean Times
2) Scully counters that it's probably just a hosed up guy.
3) It's actually a hosed up guy, but he has suckers on his hands like a mountain chupacabra or w/e
4) the shoot him to death and he falls into a Woodchipper
5) Scully cracks open wordperfect and starts her report "Since the dawn of time, man has been terrified and fascinated by woodchippers. In this essay, I will..."

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It's been years since i've given the show a watch so maybe I'm mentally filling in gaps with meaning that isn't there but, I don't remember Scully ever being near so certain about the religious side of things as Mulder was in other episodes. And that a big part of Scully character was her trying to come to terms with what it means to be a Christian while living a life bound by science and reason.

I remember really liking Scully focused episodes because they usually included attempts at actual character growth

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Setting a reboot in like the 70's or something could work. It might be a bit confusing wither it was a prequel or whatever, but feel like the 70's were a good time for weird conspiracy theories, plus it's a bit modern, but not too modern, and you still have seemingly un-explored places and unknowns. People aren't walking around with smart phones taking videos 24/7 and what not.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Setting a reboot in like the 70's or something could work. It might be a bit confusing wither it was a prequel or whatever, but feel like the 70's were a good time for weird conspiracy theories, plus it's a bit modern, but not too modern, and you still have seemingly un-explored places and unknowns. People aren't walking around with smart phones taking videos 24/7 and what not.

A pre-Watergate X-Files would be fantastic. A naive, optimistic population...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Garrand posted:

I remember really liking Scully focused episodes because they usually included attempts at actual character growth

I feel a good end for her character arc would of been her accepting her religious side, than becoming the new Pope.

Then in the movie they could of had Mulder going around with the Pope uncovering alien conspiracies and she could of gone around flashing her pope badge when ever she goes to investigate a crime scene.

"Hi this is Agent Mulder Fbi and I'm the Pope, and we'd just like to ask you a few question."

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 19, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I feel a good end for her character arc would of been her accepting her religious side, than becoming the new Pope.

Then in the movie they could of had Mulder going around with the Pope uncovering alien conspiracies and what not.

Or Space Pope adventures.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

dr_rat posted:

Didn't Fringe do something like that a few times? Not a whole season, but some episodes put in the past.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SCULLY: Well, what do you think?

MULDER: I think what we have to do is track Eugene Tooms, there's four down and one to go this year. If we don't get him right now, the next chance is in year.....

SCULLY: 2023.

MULDER: And you're gonna be head of the bureau by then.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CannonFodder posted:

Didn't Fringe do something like that a few times? Not a whole season, but some episodes put in the past.

1985 and yeah, they had a few flashback episodes showing what Walter was doing back then.

They re-did the intro for those episodes and it was awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xND6ApPrXc

redshirt posted:

Or Space Pope adventures.

Space pope adventures would be awesome. Although not sure how space pope would keep their cool hat from floating away in zero G.

Robes also not the greatest for going about in zero g either come to think of it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Have them go back to the Spencer/Mulder/Deep Throat era where they begin the cover up.

Fringe was what I would consider a reboot of X-Files.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

1985 and yeah, they had a few flashback episodes showing what Walter was doing back then.

They re-did the intro for those episodes and it was awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xND6ApPrXc

Space pope adventures would be awesome. Although not sure how space pope would keep their cool hat from floating away in zero G.

Robes also not the greatest for going about in zero g either come to think of it.

Space robo adventures....

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

redshirt posted:

There are a couple episodes like that, the one about the black alien playing baseball and also the one with the spider alien inside his mouth.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

redshirt posted:

Isn't that just Dark Skies?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good time to explore all the other alphabet-files. Let's follow the agents covering the I-files investigating unexplainable or supernatural insurance claims.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

redshirt posted:

Personally I would love a sort of Victorian/Edwardian type X-Files. No cuteseyness or steampunky stuff though. Maybe instead of aliens it's humanoids from the hollow earth

e: thought about this again and I think the odds of this being bad are like 9999:1. maybe if it was made back in the 80s/ early 90s someone could get it to work but TV is so horrible now

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 20, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Good time to explore all the other alphabet-files. Let's follow the agents covering the I-files investigating unexplainable or supernatural insurance claims.

We got another I-File McSculley!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

An X-Files reboot can work if it's ballsy enough to completely reinvent the formula.
in which case it's not the x-files so why bother.

BRAND RECOGNITION BAYBEEE

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SRQ posted:

An X-Files reboot can work if it's ballsy enough to completely reinvent the formula.
in which case it's not the x-files so why bother.

BRAND RECOGNITION BAYBEEE

X-files - Hawaii sunshine
- Join Mulder and Scully as they decided to give up the dark basements and conspiracy theories, as they both decided to quite the FBI and become Life savers on the beautiful beaches of Hawaii, amongst all the sexy babes and dudes living it up in paradise! Surfs is well and truly up as these two finally let their hair down, relax, and PARTTY!!!!!

Friday: 11:30-12:30 Fox8 (PG15)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

X-files - Hawaii sunshine
- Join Mulder and Scully as they decided to give up the dark basements and conspiracy theories, as they both decided to quite the FBI and become Life savers on the beautiful beaches of Hawaii, amongst all the sexy babes and dudes living it up in paradise! Surfs is well and truly up as these two finally let their hair down, relax, and PARTTY!!!!!

Friday: 11:30-12:30 Fox8 (PG15)

Xtreme Files

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Disco Pope posted:

That's true, but it feels the formula is often more:

1) Mulder attributes a spree of crimes to something he read about in Fortean Times
2) Scully counters that it's probably just a hosed up guy.
3) It's actually a hosed up guy, but he has suckers on his hands like a mountain chupacabra or w/e
4) the shoot him to death and he falls into a Woodchipper
5) Scully cracks open wordperfect and starts her report "Since the dawn of time, man has been terrified and fascinated by woodchippers. In this essay, I will..."

:lol:

That really is a perfect encapsulation.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I rewatched it recently and we couldn't stop cringing whenever an episode began with a voiceover monologue. You always knew the episode was gonna be half naval gazing philosophy.

But as a kid, I always remember being super hyped for the next mytharc episodes right up until I gave up on it. i still swear I saw some episode from season 8 or 9 where the invasion actually happened in Mulder's fever dream. And CSM was there too

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The X-Files movie is where I dropped off the hype train. I was into it till then.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I remember that back in the 90s when the X-Files was at its hottest, Mark Snow's theme got its own music video so it could be played everywhere, and the music video was just ominous clips from the show.

The only part I remember is that shot from the episode where Mulder and Scully discover the rows of biological samples in those abandoned mines, and there's weird alien kids running around, and then Mulder is standing in the abandoned factory building that's a front for the facility, and there's a big UFO's lights shining through the windows in front.

Jesus loving christ they played that video a LOT for a while there.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Is this the one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EScZZ66weWY

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mitch Peliggi has a small role in Stargate Atlantis. I've not seen him in his tighty whiteys so far though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hmm could be, the video at least looks the same and it has the spot I remember, but this song sounds like some kind of techno remix or possibly the Hot Dance 98 version of the X-Files theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0kluTStX_Y

Music to laugh so hard at you fall out of your friend's car.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Hmm could be, the video at least looks the same and it has the spot I remember, but this song sounds like some kind of techno remix or possibly the Hot Dance 98 version of the X-Files theme.

Yeah, I noticed it sounded like a remix, but I honestly couldn't remember if the full song after the part in the credits just went that way (it was the early 90's after all). Anyway, maybe this is it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kimrhwS3VlU

I think the video is the same but the song seems to be an un-remixed version.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, that could very well be it!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Disco Pope posted:

lmao that's the exact voice she uses too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

SCULLY: Well, what do you think?

MULDER: I think what we have to do is track Eugene Tooms, there's four down and one to go this year. If we don't get him right now, the next chance is in year.....

SCULLY: 2023.

MULDER: And you're gonna be head of the bureau by then.

The hibernate thing was such a cool premise. Them talking with the 63 detective about the older cases in 33 and I think even older cases in 1903 kinda made it this multi generation effort with long absent detectives contributing. Shockingly competent writing for early 90s network tv

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

The hibernate thing was such a cool premise. Them talking with the 63 detective about the older cases in 33 and I think even older cases in 1903 kinda made it this multi generation effort with long absent detectives contributing. Shockingly competent writing for early 90s network tv

While there's quite a few other things they could of be inspired by -I mean just in nature you have locusts that are similar- it does feel like maybe one of the writers had recently seen/read IT with that killer/hibernation thing. Which you know good for them, good premise used really well.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Personally I would love a sort of Victorian/Edwardian type X-Files. No cuteseyness or steampunky stuff though. Maybe instead of aliens it's humanoids from the hollow earth

e: thought about this again and I think the odds of this being bad are like 9999:1. maybe if it was made back in the 80s/ early 90s someone could get it to work but TV is so horrible now

How about a lizard woman who was living in centre of the Earth but is now a detective in Victorian England. Her human assistant, Jenny, is also her wife. Oh and they have an alien butler.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/QnrHlN51YSCHfp9YqsRDyq/madame-vastra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

How about a lizard woman who was living in centre of the Earth but is now a detective in Victorian England. Her human assistant, Jenny, is also her wife. Oh and they have an alien butler.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/QnrHlN51YSCHfp9YqsRDyq/madame-vastra

Tea, Inspector?