Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

gently caress if I can be arsed to fish out bay leaves in soup. If people can separate out the peppercorns they can handle one or two leaves.

Never put it in anything that wasn't soup so :shrug:

Mmmm soup peppercorns...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well yeah I usually just eat them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zedprime posted:

Culturally appropriating the homobolo.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Brawnfire posted:

If you don't homogenize it then it's salamese or mortadellese

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah smooth paste bolognese with surprise bayleaf shrapnel was not one of his better ideas.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
run your bay leaves through a grinder and snort it like they used to do. Roman marching powder they called it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

quote:

Bay leaves are used in Eastern Orthodoxy liturgy. To mark Jesus' destruction of Hades and freeing of the dead, parishioners throw bay leaves and flowers into the air, letting them flutter to the ground.

Gotta say: the Eastern Orthodoxy have the better Jesus, Y'all protestants should reconsider.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I remember when somebody was trashing the reputation of an amazing local Asian restaurant on the town FB, claiming there was a cockroach in their food. The health inspector determined that it was in fact a black cardamom pod.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

looks quite distinct from a cockroach IMO.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

By popular demand posted:

But just as bad in some ways, imagine if you swallowed one of those things and a cardamom plant started growing inside you :gonk:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

By popular demand posted:

When it's cooked in a dish it's not nearly so obvious, I can tell you that. It's left me freaking out for hours on occasion. I grew up surrounded by roaches and it's a Thing. Even after I'm sure it's not actually a roach, the mind goblin won't let it go.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Hygiene posted:

But just as bad in some ways, imagine if you swallowed one of those things and a cardamom plant started growing inside you :gonk:

And your body is warped into the Cardomother, and you begin to lay the Cardobrood

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Roaches are perfectly acceptable food. Just eat them. Free too.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Desert Bus posted:

Roaches are perfectly acceptable food. Just eat them. Free too.

You eat them. I'll be over here making friends with the spiders instead.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this is why northern Europeans bleach their cardamom. so they don't mistake it for roaches. also, regular cardamom is way too spicy!

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I will admit I don't understand the bay leaf. I don't know what flavor it supposedly adds. I don't know why it's so special that it has to remain a whole leaf during the process. Then you take them out? What a hassle. Who needs 'em.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

And your body is warped into the Cardomother, and you begin to lay the Cardobrood

Thank you for putting the words "big cardomommy milkers" in my head. I would not have had that thought if I had not read your post.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No one knows what bay leaf tastes like. Instead you know what it tastes like to be missing bay leaf.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
make some tea out of bay leaves if you want to know.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AcidCat posted:

I will admit I don't understand the bay leaf. I don't know what flavor it supposedly adds. I don't know why it's so special that it has to remain a whole leaf during the process. Then you take them out? What a hassle. Who needs 'em.

My mum told me she only used it when we were poorer because it helped to make the meat that was about to go off taste okay in soups.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Bay leaves have the same purpose as MSG, they just don't dissolve and have bad texture.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Use a bay leaf or two in the boiling water for mashed potatoes. It adds a savory note that you can pick up pretty easily.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://i.imgur.com/97LE0gv.mp4

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
God, that pasta on its own would've made me nauseus, the texture of those is horrifying.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Use a bay leaf or two in the boiling water for mashed potatoes. It adds a savory note that you can pick up pretty easily.

Well crap, I had no plans whatsoever to make mashed potatoes anytime soon, but now I kinda feel like I have to.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
one of my favourite cooking youtube channels recently did a bay leaf episode where they blind taste tested a bunch of dishes with or without bay leaf and even the sceptical amongst them were able to discern which dishes had added bay leaf and also said that it made them taste better

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Next you'll be telling me that you should add salt when you're cooking even if you're not trying to make something that tastes salty! :monocle:

AcidCat posted:

The flavor part's been answered, but the "add a whole leaf and take it out" bit is because they don't soften with cooking and people generally don't want to eat hard leaves.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Haifisch posted:

Next you'll be telling me that you should add salt when you're cooking even if you're not trying to make something that tastes salty! :monocle:

The flavor part's been answered, but the "add a whole leaf and take it out" bit is because they don't soften with cooking and people generally don't want to eat hard leaves.

They can also add bitterness if left standing, same as letting tea steep for too long

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Butterfly Valley posted:

one of my favourite cooking youtube channels recently did a bay leaf episode where they blind taste tested a bunch of dishes with or without bay leaf and even the sceptical amongst them were able to discern which dishes had added bay leaf and also said that it made them taste better

I like Sorted's videos, too bad their app is loving awful.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

They can also add bitterness if left standing, same as letting tea steep for too long

Quick tip regarding whole spice pods, peppercorns and leaves: Cut a piece of gauze roll* and wrap it around the spices, when you're done cooking put the sachet in the trash. No more unpleasant roachlike pods in the food.

*the cheap stuff, you want just a clean cloth.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

the potato is the ultimate food. it may well save the world one day.

No way could spreading a singular potato across the world backfire. Impossible, just impossible.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

this is why northern Europeans bleach their cardamom. so they don't mistake it for roaches. also, regular cardamom is way too spicy!

No they don't.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No they don't.

Speak for yourself. I bought a cardamom bleacher for my mom as a Christmas present.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
a cardamom bleacher you say

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The General posted:

No way could spreading a singular potato across the world backfire. Impossible, just impossible.

You anticipate a Russian giant hogweed scenario?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
More like a Gros Michel situation tbh.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The point of adding a bay leaf is so whoever discovers it in their portion has good luck the rest of the day. :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, the King Burrito

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Much like peanut shells, I simply eat the bay leaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/musktilldawn/status/1737482644097577387