Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Owl Inspector posted:

Interesting. could this be a sequel to something? I can’t tell as there’s nothing in the title that suggests it is.

Eh I dunno. It's a Mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Riven: The Sequel to Myst being a five-word title is actually genius, as is everything else in Riven.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's something darkly funny to me about remastering their original games, games that were in part so memorable because they were kind of weird FMV-y nightmares, while their brand new attempt at the same thing was widely panned as being pretty and nothing else.

Just an observation though, I'm a complete mark for this poo poo put it in my veins.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Owl Inspector posted:

Interesting. could this be a sequel to something? I can’t tell as there’s nothing in the title that suggests it is.

Riven is the sequel to Myst

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Orv posted:

There's something darkly funny to me about remastering their original games, games that were in part so memorable because they were kind of weird FMV-y nightmares, while their brand new attempt at the same thing was widely panned as being pretty and nothing else.

Just an observation though, I'm a complete mark for this poo poo put it in my veins.

Cyan's last game was a mess, but the one they put out before that, Obduction, was really well received. Other than one or two lovely puzzles.

I think Firmament was a game that had some development hell and probably would have been cancelled, if it hadn't been a Kickstarter game and they needed to deliver something. The final product didn't feel like their heart was in it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Owl Inspector posted:

Why do you think it's called "Riven: The Sequel to The Manhole"?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

credburn posted:

Watching other people play first person shooters, they're so wobbly, can't stand still for a moment. I know that's strategy, you want to keep moving to make yourself a harder target, but it just makes watching it feel weird. I imagine this contributes to me being a bad player, I don't think I do that.

I know when I used to play a lot of Medic in TF2 I developed a little dance on the WASD keys so as never to be standing still long enough for a sniper to get me. Just a big German doing a soft-shoe shuffle while aiming his magic beam at his giant Russian boyfriend.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If that's a comment on the videos posted upthread, headshots are always lethal no matter the gun in Hunt Showdown, with the only thing that might save you being someone shooting at you from beyond their gun's effective range, so keeping your head a moving target is paramount. Which makes it sting a lot more when you miss a shot on someone standing still :negative:

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Thank you to whomever mentioned Abiotic Factor having a free test run or whatever of the alpha at the moment. I just installed it and spent 5 hours In a random open server with a bunch of dudes having a whale of a time. "Half-life meets subnautica" is bang on

Unfortunately my game kept crashing but it looks like I was the only person on the server who had issues to that extent. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this game, especially if I can debug my crashing issue and if there's a goon EU server up at some point

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

Cyan's last game was a mess, but the one they put out before that, Obduction, was really well received. Other than one or two lovely puzzles.

understatement of the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42SDc2Fhkm8

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
See, the sad thing is that since they're remaking an existing game, one hopes they won't manage to inflict yet more awful procedure-based puzzles on us.

I mean aside from the ones that were already in Riven...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Veotax posted:

I think Firmament was a game that had some development hell and probably would have been cancelled, if it hadn't been a Kickstarter game and they needed to deliver something. The final product didn't feel like their heart was in it.

I didn't play Obduction to be fair but uh

Yikes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wait, is it worse than the cat hair mustache?

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Played Obduction this year and enjoyed it, apart from the atrocious loads. I clicked that link thinking, "I don't remember any puzzles being that bad." Turns out, I'd repressed the memory of that truly awful experience. gently caress that puzzle.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
snip, taking this to the BG3 thread!

vvv Thanks!

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 20, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't have any experience with that, but 4-player (non-local) co-op worked perfectly when I tried it all the way back in August.

We also have a dedicated BG3 thread where you can ask this question:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049117

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wait, is it worse than the cat hair mustache?

The cat hair mustache is profoundly stupid, but once you get over the complete moon logic it's not a miserable chore to get past.

moosferatu posted:

Played Obduction this year and enjoyed it, apart from the atrocious loads. I clicked that link thinking, "I don't remember any puzzles being that bad." Turns out, I'd repressed the memory of that truly awful experience. gently caress that puzzle.

I very specifically remember that puzzle because it was a giant pain in the rear end AND also caused a row between me and my dad because I instantly understood what it was asking for while he couldn't parse the whole "figure out how to translate the relative position of the puzzle pieces between location A and location B" part and eventually he was so sick of it that he just left the room while I tediously solved it.

In my memory, some of the steps aren't quite as arduous as the video makes them sound. Like I don't remember needing to circle all around and back quite that much. But that might also be down to dumb luck and me rapidly testing and figuring out the spatial relationships at step 0.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 20, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

I'm honestly kind of more embarrassed by nearly 1/4 of my gaming year being taken up by a bad clicker game than I would be if it was a smut game instead, or if I was still playing Lost Ark. At least I've finally given it up for good.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

moosferatu posted:

PlayedObduction this year and enjoyed it, apart from the atrocious loads.
Did you have to constantly switch between five discs?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Did you have to constantly switch between five discs?

I'm reasonably certain disc swapping was overall faster than Obduction's load times, particularly at launch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think I am gonna refund power wash simulator I'm really not feelin this

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not feeling, cleaning!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
become one with the filth and by becoming it, overcome it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

MarcusSA posted:

Are you using the gyro? You gotta use the gyro. Sweep the grime.

EDIT and the button that un-pins the reticle from the center of the screen

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Should I get Power Wash Simulator VR for Meta Quest 2™ or the regular Steam version?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Squiggle posted:

EDIT and the button that un-pins the reticle from the center of the screen

the importance of this button cannot be overstated

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Should I get Power Wash Simulator VR for Meta Quest 2™ or the regular Steam version?
Does the Steam version not support VR?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Croccers posted:

Does the Steam version not support VR?

Doesn't look like it going by the store page, though there are probably mods out there. The VR one is a standalone product that runs on the headset natively without connecting to a computer, might go for that so I can be fully immersed in the cleaning. Guessing that version is its own thing though and probably doesn't have all the Final Fantasy and Spongebob stuff.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I saw complaints about performance and visuals on the Quest one. It’s a great Deck game if you have one of those.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Jack Trades posted:

I looked it up out of curiosity and there's been only a couple of days in the last year where you couldn't buy RDR2 for 20bux.

Borderlands 3 also has a similarly silly chart.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I enjoyed Obduction a lot, even with that puzzle. I scribbled a lot of notes, learned the numbering system, then and found all puzzles to be fair. The problem with that puzzle is that you can solve it but be stuck executing the solution for a very long time, and that is frustrating.

Everything before and after was really neat.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I tried Call of the Wild yesterday, just wasn’t feeling it. It was too slow for me but I get that’s the entire point of the game, to be slow and deliberate and chill. Think I’m going to refund it, but I got another hour of playtime, maybe I’ll give it a second chance.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone know if that story rich megapack or whatever it’s called that’s on sale right now is worth it? Interested as it includes Paradise Killer which I’ve read good things about in the GOTY thread

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Card Shark is excellent, and Behind the Frame is decent

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If you go through the list and are interested in at least 2 of the games included then yeah I'd say its worth it.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

MarcusSA posted:

Is it giving you anxiety? For me it was a super chill game but my wife couldn't even watch me play without getting anxious.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Is it giving you anxiety? For me it was a super chill game but my wife couldn't even watch me play without getting anxious.

Kinda sorta?

I’m just not feeling the groove lol. I’m gonna give it another shot with the changes people suggested but I dunno maybe it’s just not for me

I just played 2 hours of Astilabra instead lol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I once heard it compared to a coloring book and forty hours later it seems pretty apt. I guess some people get antsy at how daunting the jobs can be?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Phantom Liberty - is it intended you like take a character you beat the game with to some new area, or can you just load into whatever save you have and then go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I once heard it compared to a coloring book and forty hours later it seems pretty apt. I guess some people get antsy at how daunting the jobs can be?

I can see this. I imagine that if I saw some of the situations IRL I'd basically be paralyzed at how crazy it seems.