Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My Lovely Horse posted:

The same thing happens in Conker's Bad Fur Day

I assume the vibes are different in BG3

Not as different as you'd think, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I assume, but with all I'm hearing about BG3 it's a bit of a tossup.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

credburn posted:

I think someone mentioned it before, but any time the final boss fight music is like, just the theme song to the game is pretty fuckin empowering and rad

This is a big part of why Elden Beast feels like such a letdown fight after Radagon

The theme kicking in is just so good there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbOUwFx61Uw

I still think they should have swapped the order of the fights

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

"The boss sings the BGM" one of the core conceits of the Ar tonelico/Surge Concerto series, and one of the main reasons why I love those dumbass games so much.

A core part of the setting is Song Magic, which is pretty self-descriptive. Most of the major plot-relevant boss battles involve the boss (or sometimes your own party members) singing the BGM and you're trying to stop them (or keep the song going).

Oh, and the songs are often also computer programs, because magitech.

The fact that pretty much every game in the setting adds a new conlang for them to sing in is icing on the cake.

Shame the games are so intensely mid/late-00's anime in the worst possible ways at times.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The shopkeeper in Crypt of the Necrodancer does operatic singing with the music on the floor you're on. It's directional too, so you can use the singing to help you find the shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4Sc6-PjQI&t=55s

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The shopkeeper in Crypt of the Necrodancer does operatic singing with the music on the floor you're on. It's directional too, so you can use the singing to help you find the shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4Sc6-PjQI&t=55s

They have one of the songs from Necrodancer in the Amplitude reboot and the shopkeeper is one of the tracks for it, it’s pretty great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm playing the 3DS port of DKC Returns, and I'm surprised at how much the 3D effect adds to the rocket barrel and minecart levels in particular. It looks neat, but it also makes the depth layers stand out so much better that the various hazards are much easier to identify while you're autoscrolling along. It feels so much more natural, it's weird that it's a port of a Wii game rather than having 3D from the start.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rogue Trader is really nice, because Owlcat Games aren't cowards about extra turns, so when I'm playing it coop I'm just playing a lazylord. 2 of the 3 characters I'm controlling can give you out extra turns, both limited and occasionally full ones, so most bigger fights I'm just buffing and setting up my friend to kill everything, with the occasional plinking at targets to free his characters from threats. Before quitting tonight we had a fight against 24 enemies that ended it in less that 3 rounds, because we could just set up multiple kills and move the characters to the next group before their real turn even came up.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hel posted:

Rogue Trader is really nice, because Owlcat Games aren't cowards about extra turns, so when I'm playing it coop I'm just playing a lazylord. 2 of the 3 characters I'm controlling can give you out extra turns, both limited and occasionally full ones, so most bigger fights I'm just buffing and setting up my friend to kill everything, with the occasional plinking at targets to free his characters from threats. Before quitting tonight we had a fight against 24 enemies that ended it in less that 3 rounds, because we could just set up multiple kills and move the characters to the next group before their real turn even came up.

There’s also some creative ways to take out multiple enemies at the same time— my trader is set up as a sniper with Bounty Hunter, which has a skill that guarantees overpenetration of your next shot, making it pierce and deal damage to anything behind the target. So sometimes it’s a matter of positioning her so the massive sniper rifle she has turns a couple mooks into chunky salsa.

Then Argenta fires off a burst and annihilates 3-4 others.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Then you use the Officer heroic on Cassia and she deletes like 12 people.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I have Cassia set up so she gets +5 WP any time someone gets an extra turn and she has a spell that give hit chance and dodge based on WP, so after a while I could give someone +95% chance to hit and then give them 2 Ap to shoot with. Since chance to hit maxes out at 95 % and everything above that turns into crit chance, that deals a ton of damage I the right situation. And that's without the skill that let's someone ignore cover and double range, because that's on my rogue trader officer instead.

Hel has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Dec 21, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Then you use the Officer heroic on Cassia and she deletes like 12 people.

More like use the Officer heroic on Pasqal and he fires Infinity Plasma Blasts.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm playing the 3DS port of DKC Returns, and I'm surprised at how much the 3D effect adds to the rocket barrel and minecart levels in particular. It looks neat, but it also makes the depth layers stand out so much better that the various hazards are much easier to identify while you're autoscrolling along. It feels so much more natural, it's weird that it's a port of a Wii game rather than having 3D from the start.

Returns was a real good port in general. Even the new extra levels were solid, if a little toothless compared to all the bullshit you had to put up with before unlocking them, and the bullshit you had to put up with immediately after with the original game’s final level.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Returns was a real good port in general. Even the new extra levels were solid, if a little toothless compared to all the bullshit you had to put up with before unlocking them, and the bullshit you had to put up with immediately after with the original game’s final level.

Oh cool, I didn't remember there were new levels. Honestly it's been so long that I'm not sure I got to them - I remember that final final level from the Wii, but that's it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Baldur's Gate 3 has this literally happen. The boss is singing the words to the boss music.

I've always felt that Kefka's final battle music is actually playing at his command, because that's something he'd do.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
de Blob 2: You get a news headline reporting on the current situation when you complete a challenge.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I always enjoy when NPCs get scared by something into their "panic and cower" routine right next to other NPCs who don't react at all, like this guy in mortal terror about something or other while everyone else is just having fun by the ocean

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bussamove posted:

More like use the Officer heroic on Pasqal and he fires Infinity Plasma Blasts.

Plasma can miss though, Held In Her Gaze cannot and has enormous range.

Owl Inspector posted:

I always enjoy when NPCs get scared by something into their "panic and cower" routine right next to other NPCs who don't react at all, like this guy in mortal terror about something or other while everyone else is just having fun by the ocean

He's probably just having a bad trip.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just finished Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. There are portions in the game where you work with the not-Sherlock Holmes of the game, Herlock Sholmes, to make deductions about scenes you find. They work by him pointing out a bunch of details and completely failing to draw the correct deductions from them, then you have a turn as you correct him. It's a fun little dance, emphasized by spotlights, twirling movements, etc.

Near the end of the game, in the final case, there's a scene where you act out one of these deductions, but you're instead playing as Herlock's old accomplice and friend (basically Watson, but Japanese), and they're far more in sync, with the dynamic playfully bouncing between them as Herlock points out details and you complete his deductions, while following up Herlock's twirls with some tap dancing. I really liked the contrast between this scene and the ones you've seen before, and it really felt like it highlighted the long relationship and past the two have.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's also the possible implication that Herlock is deliberately getting his conclusions wrong at times as a means of encouraging Naruhodo and pals to figure things out for themselves rather than having to rely entirely on him. ...though it doesn't help that Herlock is also legitimately a bit of a space case. After all the depictions of Sherlock being ambiguously autistic, this one has him be ambiguously ADHD, hitting a surprising number of specific traits.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Haven't played that one so not going to read the spoiler but the vibes remind me of the goofy idiot prosecutor from Prosecutor's Path, Edgeworth's second spinoff game (which is only available via a fan translation but it's a great one), who similarly makes a lot of nonsense deductions and you destroy him with logic chess by tearing his opinions apart - then at the end of the game, the poor kid gets kidnapped by his own father so he can't appear in court and be a threat to his father's schemes, and in that moment his father admits that he thinks he's nothing more than a moron, destroying his confidence entirely. When Edgeworth saves him, he uses logic chess not to destroy him but to build him back up and put him on the path to becoming a true prosecutor, as his questions change to things like "Ok. And what are you going to do NOW?!" to help focus him on what needs to be done.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Owl Inspector posted:

In Assassin's Creed Odyssey they would drop your character back into the game world after every cutscene so if you were near any NPCs they would make startled gasps as if you just appeared next to them. This would often include the very same NPC you were talking to so they'd immediately go from thanking you to cowering in fear.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

exquisite tea posted:

In Assassin's Creed Odyssey they would drop your character back into the game world after every cutscene so if you were near any NPCs they would make startled gasps as if you just appeared next to them. This would often include the very same NPC you were talking to so they'd immediately go from thanking you to cowering in fear.

That fool... he's going to hurt himself...

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yakuza 3 Melee Match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfShqW9aD4k

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

exquisite tea posted:

That's great.

Man, I want to play oddesey again. I can remember climbing a big ol' mountain and looking down and seeing my ship in this bag, tiny as it was so far away, and it felt so bloody epic.

I know a lot of people are over open world games but stuff like that really gets me going.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anyone

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Rubber bullets

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Roblo posted:

That's great.

Man, I want to play oddesey again. I can remember climbing a big ol' mountain and looking down and seeing my ship in this bag, tiny as it was so far away, and it felt so bloody epic.

I know a lot of people are over open world games but stuff like that really gets me going.

Odyssey was the last good open world game imo

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Odyssey was good enough that I finished it, which is legitimately impressive because I don't think I've ever actually finished any other open world games?

Usually I end up falling off maybe halfway through, I'm the absolute worst at those

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

The Yakuza/Like a Dragon games have it so that NPCs will turn around and walk the other way during some in game cut scenes and it's funny whenever I notice it. Just coming up on some violent gangster poo poo, pulling a Grandpa Simpson 180 and casually walking back the way they came.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh actually I guess the Yakuza games count as open world games, so I've finished a bunch of those

The NPCs pulling out their phone and turning around is one of my favorite parts of the Yakuza games as far as little things go. It's very funny to have a super dramatic scene (or super funny scene) going on, and have a random business man walk into frame and do a 180 pulling out their phone as if they accidentally wandered into a shoot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"I'm gonna be in a little late today, it's-... yeah, it's that guy beating people to a pulp with bicycles again"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t know why hitting things with bicycles is so cathartic, but by god do I love grabbing a bike off a stand and mashing it into scrap metal while definitely not killing or brutally maiming a group of goobers.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Odyssey was good enough that I finished it, which is legitimately impressive because I don't think I've ever actually finished any other open world games?

Usually I end up falling off maybe halfway through, I'm the absolute worst at those

What do you mean by "finished it". Odyssey was good fun but also incredibly long, I did the main quest and the assassination quest but very few side quests. It could have done with less filler content, especially those battles you could join.

That said, Kassandra was great and never got tired of Spartan kicking people off cliffs. It was real pretty too.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I did the main Odyssey quests and the dlc plus maybe 40-ish percent of the side content, which I count as "finished and then some!" in my book.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Baldur's Gate 3 has this literally happen. The boss is singing the words to the boss music.

Not only this, if you cast silence on him his part of the song stops. So he's literally singing it as he fights you as opposed to it just being a song playing over the fight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Also if you cast spells like Polymorph on characters immediately before going into a cutscene, it will persist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENO_i2u8kBo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

Also if you cast spells like Polymorph on characters immediately before going into a cutscene, it will persist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENO_i2u8kBo

This is pretty great, but what makes it fantastic is the subtitle

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Biplane posted:

I did the main Odyssey quests and the dlc plus maybe 40-ish percent of the side content, which I count as "finished and then some!" in my book.

Yeah, this for me as well

The game is insanely long and there was no way I was going to do everything, I'm also just very much not a completionist when it comes to games tbf. I do want to go back and do the atlantis stuff at some point though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

Owl Inspector posted:

Accurate to having a panic attack in public tbf