Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I adored Season 3 on a re-watch. It is a full on rollercoaster of balls-out escalating insanity and Varga is just incredible to watch. Love it more than S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

POV air conditioner

When I watched that scene for the first time I rewound it probably 20 times because it's objectively the funniest scene in the entire series to date (to me, at least)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hilario Baldness posted:

When I watched that scene for the first time I rewound it probably 20 times because it's objectively the funniest scene in the entire series to date (to me, at least)

“Can I get two beers? Do you want two beers, too?"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I hope loser husband meets the same fate as Brad Pitt's similar character in Burn After Reading.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Literally can't figure out who I want to kill more, Lorraine or Roy.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 20, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Shitenshi posted:

Literally can't figure out who I want to kill more, Lorraine or Roy.

Not sure how you haven't fallen in love with Lorraine. She's incredible.

Roy is easily the one who should die.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I am ready for the team up of Lorraine, Indira, and Scotty to save Dot from Roy and his boys club.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Oh dear oh dear oh dear Roy you've got no loving idea how hosed you are. Lorraine activated.

This poo poo rules. God drat that police file was brutal :(.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Boy those first couple scenes were unpleasant. I'm ready for some terrible men to die any time now!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Jennifer Jason Leigh is just goddamn killing it. I am really enjoying this season, it's quite the step up from the last.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

TraderStav posted:

Not sure how you haven't fallen in love with Lorraine. She's incredible.

Must have been such a gift to write dialog knowing how much she'd chew it up. "Chef's making boeuf bourguigngngn, with those little onions you like". It's a really fun accent.

Dave Foley is really killing it as a Consigliere. Really everyone is killing it. Good, good show.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I love the Wrench and Numbers Theme so it was nice to hear something very similar when Munch was driving his ford tempo away. Wasn't exact, it was a bit slower maybe and a bit loose. Maybe it was scottys version :v:

Didn't see it on the soundtrack that I found on youtube either so maybe its just a little nod to past music.

Cage fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 20, 2023

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
JJL knocked it out of the park this episode. So much to unpack

Really cool seeing Lorraine gain respect for Dot (and Indira) in real time when confronted with how “in sync” they are. Then, when she finally opens Dot’s file, seeing her revulsion (with herself, and how “in sync” she is with Tillman?) makes me wonder what else Dot and Lorraine have in common (was Lorraine also a Nadine before becoming a Mrs. Lyon?). Lorraine replacing that revulsion with cold resolve was so sick, best cliffhanger of the season to date

As an aside, did the scene with Lorraine and Indira remind anyone else of the S3 scene where Varga offers Swango a job? It’s been a while since I watched S3 (I need to fix that)

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Deadbeat Golf Hubby is so loving hateable. Great job by that actor and Steve from stranger things acting like two complete d-bag characters

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

gently caress me what a good episode. I was girding for annoyance after they literally put Trump on the TV (a move that made Mr. Robot turn into a poo poo show) but the way it was used for this show ended up being more "yeah that's about right" instead of "tee hee we put Trump in our show." I've wondered what Wayne's father is like and seeing that he's just a drunk manchild explains exactly how Wayne got the way he did. It took until the "how we're alike" speech to realize why they held off showing him for so long. I was actually clapping when Lorraine said, "come work for me." I'm such a sucker for that poo poo. Finally, the extreme whiplash of laughing at the bank guy getting Lorraine's phone call to her cold, dead stare at the camera cutting to black actually made me emotional. What a finely directed scene. This season is just so good I'm really hoping it wraps up appropriately well.

I think my only complaint is the CGI'd bullet hole in the back of the guy's head. It's mis-shaded so it looks bad in the dark.

Thing I'll take away from this season and never forget: The way Munch approaches wonder boy.
https://i.imgur.com/aVo8uUB.mp4

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Turpitude posted:

Deadbeat Golf Hubby is so loving hateable. Great job by that actor and Steve from stranger things acting like two complete d-bag characters

I got like 30 seconds into deadbeats wife speech and was surprised the first words out of her mouth weren't i want a divorce. Lots of exploring into misogyny with the sheriff and loser hubby this season I guess?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Season 3 is incredible. Varga is a top tier villain, so nasty.

season 4 is forgettable. I remember it maybe spinning its wheels too much? It does have one very hilarious death Fat italian tripping and shooting himself right after a brotherly reconciliation

Season 5 is AMAZING, watch now

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

He continues to be relevant.

RIP in peace, cancer enema man.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Can’t wait to watch Munch turn Steve into pancakes.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

DaveKap posted:

I've wondered what Wayne's father is like and seeing that he's just a drunk manchild explains exactly how Wayne got the way he did. It took until the "how we're alike" speech to realize why they held off showing him for so long.

He was in the first episode of the season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Great episode, those final few moments were a hell of a gut punch.

DaveKap posted:

Thing I'll take away from this season and never forget: The way Munch approaches wonder boy.
https://i.imgur.com/aVo8uUB.mp4

Yeah, pure animal, deeply unsettling.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Thank you for the gif, this movement was so eerie

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I thought S3 was the best or tied with S1. For me. I don't think that's definitive.

DaveKap posted:

I've wondered what Wayne's father is like and seeing that he's just a drunk manchild explains exactly how Wayne got the way he did. It took until the "how we're alike" speech to realize why they held off showing him for so long.

I was going to bring this up anyway, but I don't think that's why they waited till now to show what the older Mr. Lyon is like. (Being in the first episode showed essentially nothing.) I think this is the first time you're supposed to think (realize?) Roy is Scotty's father. Not just as a possibility, a probability. Wayne, even pre-shock, and his father are similarly touched or "otherly abled", and Scotty is pointedly not. At all. Genetics. Furthermore, as this is a television show, Nadine/Dorothy being pregnant with Scotty explains the timing and motivation of her leaving Roy.

eighty-four merc posted:

As an aside, did the scene with Lorraine and Indira remind anyone else of the S3 scene where Varga offers Swango a job?

I failed to catch that but the part in an earlier episode where she took $1 mil off an offer is a reference to a similar S2 scene.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, gently caress that golf dumbass.
Is there a man this season who doesn't really suck in some way? Dott's husband (Lyon) is okay I guess, he just mostly had a bad time. Oh yes, the one FBI-guy seems alright. Also, Winston from New Girl.
I like how Officer Dipshit hid his face for that guy they kidnapped but proudly presented his sheriff jacket and badge. Huh, I just noticed that he calls John Hamm "Dad". Missed that somehow before.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 21, 2023

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, gently caress that golf dumbass.
Is there a man this season who doesn't really suck in some way? Dott's husband (Lyon) is okay I guess, he just mostly had a bad time. Oh yes, the one FBI-guy seems alright.

There's the cop who got shot in the leg, he seems alright. I loved the conversation between Lorraine and Indira this episode, with Indira being a better advocate for Dot than she is for herself and Lorraine being the same for Indira in her own weird way.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mr. Nemo posted:

season 4 is forgettable. I remember it maybe spinning its wheels too much? It does have one very hilarious death Fat italian tripping and shooting himself right after a brotherly reconciliation

Shame too as the cliffnotes of it are fuckin' great. Setup is fantastic, rival gangs trading sons as insurance. Minority families at war. Lesbian Bonnie and Clyde. Seth Bullock returns, but as a Holy Mormon warrior. Andrew Bird, perfectly cast. Jessie Buckely as a death nurse.

Yet it's the one series that the way everything resolves misses. Chris Rock was awful - carries no weight in the performance, like say Jon Hamm in this season, Hanze in S2, or poo poo even his Consigliere who gets offed way too early. Also delivers lines so flat it takes you out of every scene he's in.

iirc just all those fantastic threads cut off at weird and unsatisfying ways. People dying unceremoniously and tragically is par for the course of Fargo, but here it really kneecaped stuff that was way more interesting than the central drama.

Certainly shrunk the cast and ambition of this season, and it's better for it.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Das Boo posted:

What the gently caress, S3 rocks. Peter and the Wolf; the whole thing's done in gold, silver, and red; bowling alley; unstoppable deaf friend; the whole elevator scene; throat singing; POV air conditioner; Mary Elizabeth Winstead...

Ray's a kitten now, you fucks.

I can help!

S3 is amazing and I'm shocked many in the thread aren't higher on it.

Edit: Golf dumbass is the guy that Nate nearly beats to death in Euphoria and the bell boy that gets his rear end eaten by Armond in White Lotus (minor spoilers for Euphoria and White Lotus).

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 21, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

th3t00t posted:

Edit: Golf dumbass is the guy that Nate nearly beats to death in Euphoria and the bell boy that gets his rear end eaten by Armond in White Lotus (minor spoilers for Euphoria and White Lotus).

Ahhhh thank you, couldn't place him.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
He's also Gabi's rear end in a top hat boyfriend in American Vandal season 1

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
anyone else get this through amazon and not have the new episode show up yet?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dot had better win. At everything.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I think she will, but I don’t think Wayne comes out ahead.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Wayne gets shot in the head while grabbing Jello.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

oh jay posted:

Wayne gets shot in the head while grabbing Jello.

Walks back to the table, eats his jello, has a charming conversation with his wife and child, goes to bed, gets up the next day and goes to work, eventually dies.... 45 years later in bed surrounded by family.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Was that true about guy ballerinas being called ballerinos?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ruddiger posted:

Was that true about guy ballerinas being called ballerinos?

Apparently, yes

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dot might win, but Fargo has a wonky karma. Generally points towards the heroes, but wobbles. Thinking Bilbo's wife in the first season, Swango's fate in the third. Hope she does.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Dot might win, but Fargo has a wonky karma. Generally points towards the heroes, but wobbles. Thinking Bilbo's wife in the first season, Swango's fate in the third. Hope she does.

Chris Rock had the weirdest ending in season 4.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

shirunei posted:

I got like 30 seconds into deadbeats wife speech and was surprised the first words out of her mouth weren't i want a divorce. Lots of exploring into misogyny with the sheriff and loser hubby this season I guess?

His putting on the cologne before he goes to see his physical therapist was quite telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

oh jay posted:

Chris Rock had the weirdest ending in season 4.

Everyone had a weird end in S4. Except maybe the nurse and Mike? I did like her taking Schwartzman down with her, and the "any last words?" "Can you shoot him first so I can watch?" "What?" BANG. Didn't enjoy the bulk of what they did with angel of death nurse, but did like that at least.