Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kchama posted:

Their just trying to justify their piracy. They don't give a poo poo about Gazans.

And if it helps people does that matter? Even if they don't care but it helps to drive things to negotiation as it were. Also, how are you certain of the lack of care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kchama posted:

Their just trying to justify their piracy. They don't give a poo poo about Gazans.

Ansar Allah's actions make zero sense whatsoever if they do not care enormously about the Palestinian genocide

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Why would they not care? It's not hard to do

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

And if it helps people does that matter? Even if they don't care but it helps to drive things to negotiation as it were. Also, how are you certain of the lack of care?

Is it helping people? Like people just seem to be assuming that it'd a good thing, but what good has actually come from it?

A big flaming stink posted:

Ansar Allah's actions make zero sense whatsoever if they do not care enormously about the Palestinian genocide

People like to say they're doing things for good, non-self-interested reasons all the time, even when they blatantly aren't. The fact that they're joining forces with Somali pirates to do hijackings points towards it not being particularly pointed towards helping Gazans in reality but posturing to look good (and also steal some poo poo). Not everyone who claims to be in the good fight is actually in the good fight.

Maybe I'm just cynical from seeing... literally the same sort of poo poo happening elsewhere and being used to justify crimes. I have little trust for them.

Oh dear me posted:

Why would they not care? It's not hard to do

It's easy to say you care, even when you don't. Their actions don't seem to point to a particular care about actually striking at Israel and more just hitting things in general. Unless Liberia is a well-known Israel ally.

Not to mention these attacks aren't like, new or anything. They've been doing them for quite a while. They've ramped them up recently, but it just seems like they've seen an opportunity to strike while everyone is distracted.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can believe that the group whose slogan includes the lines "Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews" is concerned that the wrong side is being genocided. I don't think they're likely to be satisfied with just Israel stopping the offensive though, particularly given the cynical and indiscriminate nature of their piracy.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Kchama posted:

Is it helping people? Like people just seem to be assuming that it'd a good thing, but what good has actually come from it?

I'd give the credit for the British PM calling for an immediate ceasefire at least in part to Ansar Allah. Their tactics and the subsequent decision by BP to reroute, causing untold projected losses, certainly had to have played into this sudden change of position by Sunak.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kchama posted:

It appears to have meant that there is more pressure put on creating a ceasefire. Not certainly ofc, but costing people money is a good way to encourage negotiation.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kchama posted:

How can you claim to know the motivations of these people with such certainty?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

aBagorn posted:

I'd give the credit for the British PM calling for an immediate ceasefire at least in part to Ansar Allah. Their tactics and the subsequent decision by BP to reroute, causing untold projected losses, certainly had to have played into this sudden change of position by Sunak.

Malaysia just closed their ports to all ships with an Israeli flag. I doubt this happens if the Houthis didn't step up first.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/20/malaysia-bans-israeli-affiliated-and-israel-bound-ships-from-its-ports

quote:

Malaysia has banned all Israeli-flagged cargo ships from docking at its ports in what it said was a response to the war in Gaza, accusing Israel of violating international law through the “massacre and brutality against Palestinians”.

On Wednesday, Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim announced the decision to impose the maritime ban on Israel-affiliated vessels – singling out ZIM, Israel’s largest shipping firm – amid growing alarm over disruptions to global shipping as a result of attacks on cargo ships in the Red Sea.

Ships on their way to Israel will also be barred from loading cargo at any port in the Southeast Asian nation with immediate effect, Anwar said in a statement.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's awesome

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Frankly I'm very confused how this idea that Ansarallah are engaged in something as simple as piracy came about. They certainly aren't quiet about the blatant political goal they are engaged in! To say nothing of the sheer lunacy of the idea that getting into a pissing match with every regional power as well as freaking america is done with profit as the goal.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
And havn't they only taken one container ship so far? Seems like a pretty effective way to make the West actually try and stop the genocide, gently caress with their pocket books.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

aBagorn posted:

Cameron's position is actually 'more nuanced'.

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/1736364658204737558

Cameron himself has always been fairly pro-Palestinian as far as Western politicians go, despite his very numerous faults, so I don't think there's really been a noticeable shift there.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
.....ok I'll freely admit I haven't been paying attention to UK politics lately but I'm pretty sure the pig fucker isn't the prime Minister?

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

.....ok I'll freely admit I haven't been paying attention to UK politics lately but I'm pretty sure the pig fucker isn't the prime Minister?

Hasn't been for, hmm, over seven years.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He was recently appointed foreign secretary so he represents the UK government's official line.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sorry, I should have clarified. The current Tory government faces a lot of domestic challenges on the account of being pant-shittingly bad at the whole governing thing. To address this, the last Tory politician with any semblance of likeability was brought on board (through some not super regular procedures) as the foreign secretary. Apart from the reason above, part of why he was chosen for the job was that he also had some amount of goodwill and dare I say expertise when it comes to the I/P conflict. Cameron's messaging from day one was fairly consistent, and Sunak tries not to contradict it.

https://www.reuters.com/world/too-many-civilians-killed-israel-hamas-conflict-uk-pm-says-2023-12-18/

quote:

Sunak on Monday again said Britain believed Israel had the right to defend itself following the Hamas attack on southern Israel in October that triggered the conflict.

"But it must do that in accordance with humanitarian law," he told reporters in Scotland.

"It's clear that too many civilian lives have been lost. And that's why we've been consistent...in calling for a sustainable ceasefire, whereby hostages are released, rockets stop being fired into Israel by Hamas and we continue to get more aid in."

Britain abstained in a vote last week in the United Nations General Assembly that overwhelmingly called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire.

Sunak's spokesman said on Monday: "Right now we want to see immediate humanitarian pauses and we want them to lead to a sustainable ceasefire as soon as possible."

"We do not believe that calling right now for a general and immediate ceasefire, hoping it somehow becomes permanent, is the way forward."

So, again, unless I've missed something very recent, I don't think there was a huge shift in policy or rhetoric, especially not due to Houthis' attacks.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 20, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I can believe that the group whose slogan includes the lines "Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews" is concerned that the wrong side is being genocided. I don't think they're likely to be satisfied with just Israel stopping the offensive though, particularly given the cynical and indiscriminate nature of their piracy.

The Houthis survived intact after a genocidal campaign waged by the Saudis against the Yemeni people backed to the hilt by the United States.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Sunak’s position hasn’t changed following the BP announcement; if was falsely reported in, iirc, Middle East Eye that he had called for a “permanent ceasefire”, then a false inference was drawn on Twitter that the BP announcement had caused this. He’d already been using the “sustainable” line for some time.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Houthis survived intact after a genocidal campaign waged by the Saudis against the Yemeni people backed to the hilt by the United States.

Your response is accurate but seems irrelevant to the post being quoted.

I think just like any political movement there are idealogues who are seriously horrified at the destruction of Gaza and only want to stand against it (and of course hating Israel and Jews isn't new for them), and there are cynics who see an opportunity to execute piracy with some international-ethical pretense and only want to seize it, and most are probably motivated in both ways.

But this is just armchair speculating about people I don't know, whose language I don't speak, whose official policy is that I deserve to be cursed.

I don't think it really matters what percentage have what motivation. If it puts any pressure on Israel to stop killing Palestinians, that's obviously worth its weight in gold. if it puts innocent people in danger because they're working on a ship that's tangentially connected to an Israeli man, or because they live in Yemen and are collectively punished for Houthi actions, that's bad. If it makes rich people less rich, life goes on. If it endangers the Houthi movement, that's a good thing to happen to anyone who organizes under the banner of "curse the Jews."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 20, 2023

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

He's foreign secretary.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
The idea that the Houthis are just cynical, opportunistic pirates requires a complete and total disregard of the events over the past two months and a complete lack of desire to understand them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Your response is accurate but seems irrelevant to the post being quoted.

I think just like any political movement there are idealogues who are seriously horrified at the destruction of Gaza and only want to stand against it (and of course hating Israel and Jews isn't new for them), and there are cynics who see an opportunity to execute piracy with some international-ethical pretense and only want to seize it, and most are probably motivated in both ways.

But this is just armchair speculating about people I don't know, whose language I don't speak, whose official policy is that I deserve to be cursed.

I don't think it really matters what percentage have what motivation. If it puts any pressure on Israel to stop killing Palestinians, that's obviously worth its weight in gold. if it puts innocent people in danger because they're working on a ship that's tangentially connected to an Israeli man, or because they live in Yemen and are collectively punished for Houthi actions, that's bad. If it makes rich people less rich, life goes on. If it endangers the Houthi movement, that's a good thing to happen to anyone who organizes under the banner of "curse the Jews."

I think the group surviving a genocide might find some solidarity with others and be in a position to help. They could've executed this "piracy" at any point but decided now was the time.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think the group surviving a genocide might find some solidarity with others and be in a position to help. They could've executed this "piracy" at any point but decided now was the time.

There's probably maximum leverage by hitting at a time when people want as few problems to deal with as possible, no?

There's some self-interest going on here.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Again I am an Internet dude with no relevant experience here, but I am pretty sure that the idea that the Houthis only found solidarity with the Palestinians after 2015, when Yemen underwent its own genocide, is both contradicted by their history and off-course in what it assumes about human psychology.

The Houthis have always been in solidarity with Palestine, they've been using the "death to America, death to Israel, curse the Jews" slogan since the American invasion of Iraq. They didn't need to undergo their own genocide to be outraged about Israeli atrocities to the point of ethnoreligious bigotry.

If there is one thing we should learn from looking at Israel, having your nation undergo a genocide doesn't make people experience greater solidarity with others in similar crises. Like Art Spiegelman said, "unimaginable suffering doesn't make a person better; it just makes them suffer."

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

If there is one thing we should learn from looking at Israel, having your nation undergo a genocide doesn't make people experience greater solidarity with others in similar crises. Like Art Spiegelman said, "unimaginable suffering doesn't make a person better; it just makes them suffer."

The Irish do.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

hadji murad posted:

The Irish do.

That isn't the automatic result of the nation experiencing occupation, it's the result of really admirable political and cultural leadership in steering the way the atrocities are remembered.

The way English occupation is remembered in Ireland functions to reinforce solidarity with other victims of occupation. The way the Holocaust is remembered in Israel functions to reinforce the apartheid state by reifying Jewish exceptionalism and distrust toward liberal democracy. Neither of these are automatic, they're projects of politicians and idealogues.

"The Houthis found solidarity with Palestine because of the genocide in Yemen" is ahistorical - they were outraged by Israel long before 2015. And undergoing a genocide does not automatically produce solidarity with other genocide victims, it requires a whole project to steer the memory of the genocide in that direction.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 20, 2023

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

hadji murad posted:

The Irish do.

They have whiskey, though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wonder if they felt the same same kind of solidarity with the Jews in Yemen. Or rather, the Jews who used to live in Yemen until the Houthis expelled them.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Debating the morality of the Houthis is, ultimately, a useful distraction from discussing what’s happening in Gaza.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nucleic Acids posted:

Debating the morality of the Houthis is, ultimately, a useful distraction from discussing what’s happening in Gaza.

If we were in Congress, you'd be right, because there the words have some power, and what gets rhetorical attention corresponds to what gets the attention of the state and the public.

This is an Internet web forum. Every debate we have will accomplish nothing productive for anyone. You don't have to worry about getting distracted because by being here we are already distracted.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Have the Houthis killed anybody? I expect the usuals would be screaming about it if they had.

This is all looking a lot like the same hand-wringing over property damage that effective activism provokes.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

The Houthi have been launching attacks against shipping for years now:

https://m.jpost.com/middle-east/article-722979

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2020/5/17/uk-flagged-tanker-repulses-pirate-attack-in-gulf-of-aden

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/3/4/saudi-coalition-foils-attack-on-oil-tanker-off-yemens-coast

One could argue this is an escalation in response but reading about the history of the maritime attacks it seems like they were escalating before Israel decided to crush Gaza.

I also don't think that it's doing much of anything in regard to pressuring the West or even that the USN has deployed great resources in response. The coalition sent a total of like 5 warships between all the countries, that's not even the equivalent of a single carrier group. The only nation really feeling the squeeze so far is Egypt given their loss of passage tax, but then they already oppose Israel's actions and probably don't have any more influence to wield anyway.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Why do people keep posting like the discussion in D&D drives global coverage or action on the issue? It's not a distraction, it's the more interesting topic to debate and discuss because there is real disagreement! No one here disagrees how atrocious Israel is behaving, and when there is disagreement about single events, they get discussed at length. Updates about the latest horrifying events that everyone agrees are crimes against humanity aren't going to get discussed the same way as an issue people have varied views on.

moths posted:

Have the Houthis killed anybody? I expect the usuals would be screaming about it if they had.

This is all looking a lot like the same hand-wringing over property damage that effective activism provokes.

They've taken hostages, which whatever your feelings on the tactic are, is certainly not just property damage.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So "no."

There's no blood on their hands, and they're favorably influencing politics on a global scale.

Is that not the most moral use of force out of anyone in this situation?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If we were in Congress, you'd be right, because there the words have some power, and what gets rhetorical attention corresponds to what gets the attention of the state and the public.

This is an Internet web forum. Every debate we have will accomplish nothing productive for anyone. You don't have to worry about getting distracted because by being here we are already distracted.
In addition I'd point out that this conversation began because several posters have been lionizing Ansar Allah as heroes. Given the indiscriminate nature of their attacks and their open and explicit antisemitism I think that narrative should not expect to go unchallenged.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 20, 2023

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

moths posted:

So "no."

There's no blood on their hands, and they're favorably influencing politics on a global scale.

Is that not the most moral use of force out of anyone in this situation?

It's simply luck that they haven't killed any crew yet, given they're launching anti ship missiles at civilian vessels. They also have kidnapped civilians which can hardly be described as a bloodless act.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Kagrenak posted:

It's simply luck that they haven't killed any crew yet, given they're launching anti ship missiles at civilian vessels. They also have kidnapped civilians which can hardly be described as a bloodless act.

These events, which are not occurring absent the context of geopolitics and history, could also be considered from the perspective of Israel and its western allies, having sown the wind through their decades long genocide of the Palestinians, are now facing the reaping the whirlwind.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 20, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Nucleic Acids posted:

the straw hats are the only moral pirates and they support the Palestinian people

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

These events, which are not occurring absent the context of geopolitics and history, could also be considered from the perspective of Israel and its western allies, having sown the wind through their decades long genocide of the Palestinians, are now facing the reaping the whirlwind.

When I look at it that way, you're right, the random sailors of Norwegian and Japanese vessels are really just reaping what they sowed by doing their job delivering goods which are completely unrelated to Israel or their genocide. Civilians are indeed legitimate targets if their government has supported atrocities, or even looked the other way, thanks for showing me the light.

Or maybe... the antisemitic islamist group isn't being that careful at all in targeting only those who are closely related to the conduct of the genocide? Maybe you don't need to carry water for them after all

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Kagrenak posted:

When I look at it that way, you're right, the random sailors of Norwegian and Japanese vessels are really just reaping what they sowed by doing their job delivering goods which are completely unrelated to Israel or their genocide. Civilians are indeed legitimate targets if their government has supported atrocities, or even looked the other way, thanks for showing me the light.

Or maybe... the virulently antisemitic islamist group isn't being that careful at all in targeting only those who are closely related to the conduct of the genocide? Maybe you don't need to carry water for them after all

Israeli shipping is directly tied into the genocide, and putting pressure on non Israeli shipping can potentially lead to pressure for Israel to change its course of action.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 20, 2023