Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

RillAkBea posted:

Way too expensive. That's maybe a $10 camera and a $30 lens.

:froggonk: well poo poo, glad i asked. thanks! i'll keep hunting for something to shove expensive film in. for now i'm going to just keep up with this steep lightroom learning curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

This is more of a display type question. Basically, I want to frame a collage of some of my travel photos. There’s two ways I can think to do it: size and print them individually and put them on a backing, or use an app to arrange them in a collage and print the whole thing as one image, and frame that. Obviously the second way is easier (not cheaper though, larger images are more expensive to print) but might…look weird? I dunno. Seeking advice from anyone who’s made photo collages.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

This is more of a display type question. Basically, I want to frame a collage of some of my travel photos. There’s two ways I can think to do it: size and print them individually and put them on a backing, or use an app to arrange them in a collage and print the whole thing as one image, and frame that. Obviously the second way is easier (not cheaper though, larger images are more expensive to print) but might…look weird? I dunno. Seeking advice from anyone who’s made photo collages.

Check out Social Print Studio. My wife did one for me for Christmas. They all have to be 1x1 though. Quality is very good and they can ship it framed too if you want

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Print out the individual photos and collage them, don't print them as a group, that'd be dorky as hell

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

Print out the individual photos and collage them, don't print them as a group, that'd be dorky as hell

:saddowns:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm sure that was a lovely gift.

Just saying, a physical collage, made of real physical photos, is where it's at.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What room do you think you're in.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
So I've been dumping my pics on Instagram, just so if I need to show someone a pic I took I have a link. I'm not really interested in buying and hosting my own site, because costs. I know people hate the platform, but it's the easiest way for me to do it.

Are there any tips for preserving image quality when uploading? I've found it won't accept Really Large jpegs, like 100% quality ones. I get that. But I find that some of them look fine on my PC end when spat out at 77%, but when dumped onto there they suffer a noticeable drop in quality.

What do you guys do?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Another Person posted:

So I've been dumping my pics on Instagram, just so if I need to show someone a pic I took I have a link. I'm not really interested in buying and hosting my own site, because costs. I know people hate the platform, but it's the easiest way for me to do it.

Are there any tips for preserving image quality when uploading? I've found it won't accept Really Large jpegs, like 100% quality ones. I get that. But I find that some of them look fine on my PC end when spat out at 77%, but when dumped onto there they suffer a noticeable drop in quality.

What do you guys do?

Google Photos makes it easy to make albums, share links to them. Amazon Photos has unlimited free storage if you have Prime, but I only use it for a backup. Gphotos is good in my experience for sharing photos

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

blue squares posted:

Google Photos makes it easy to make albums, share links to them. Amazon Photos has unlimited free storage if you have Prime, but I only use it for a backup. Gphotos is good in my experience for sharing photos

Issue there is that I have to link things to people every time I post a photo. Insta resolves sharing to people who already follow my limited, crappy output. Like, there is a genuine advantage of it being a social media over just a link field. I'll keep it in mind though.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Another Person posted:

What do you guys do?

https://patkay.com/blogs/pk/instagram-export-settings-lightroom

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are very valid reasons to not use it, but Vero has effectively no limits on image upload size. That's the only social media app I know of that dips into the "make it easy for friends to see my poo poo while preserving image quality" territory. Flickr may qualify for this too.. but it has the same problem in that it requires your fan club to download a unique app. But flickr has the bonus of working on mobile as well as a desktop web browser.

Your requirements are kind of a mashup of two concepts that don't normally coexist so compromises are going to be necessary.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you have an adobe subscription they include up to 5 free gallery websites that are super easy to share to (including auto-syncing with Lightroom collections).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

Flickr may qualify for this too.. but it has the same problem in that it requires your fan club to download a unique app. But flickr has the bonus of working on mobile as well as a desktop web browser.

Can’t see why you wouldn’t just share a Flickr link and have people access that via web browser, so long as you set the privacy to public anyone can see it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I generally use a point and shoot for my pictures, but I have a Nikon D5600 that I want to get some more use out of, so I bought a lens for myself for Christmas (NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens). I've only got a 50 mm lens for the Nikon so don't have much cause to switch it out, but I've done it once or twice for cleaning and there's a convenient plastic cap that screws onto the end of the lens to keep stuff out when it's not attached. This new lens has a cap as well... but for the life of me I cannot get it off. I've really tried twisting it, but it feels like the casing is going to budge before the cap does. Is there some kind of child safety lock-type mechanism present on some lenses, or do I really just have to twist it? Something you're supposed to wedge in there? There is a lock, but it's only to keep the zoom retracted, and I've disengaged it anyway just for the heck of it. I'm kind of hesitant to apply that much force to something that costs multiple hundreds of dollars.

EDIT: oh my god it unscrews the opposite way, kill me now

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 20, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lmao

i still attempt to snap a frame before taking off the lens cap, almost every time i use the camera. 20 years of this now

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I routinely gently caress up the tighten/loosen direction on my D500 battery grip

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will never twist the focus ring in the correct direction on the first try

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I flick the dial for exposure compensation the wrong way the first time, every single time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canon bodies (at least, I assume others do it too) let you configure the direction on some of the dials and if you REALLY want to gently caress yourself up, try changing that. Because you'll go from getting the direction wrong most of the time to getting it wrong every time and causing smoke to pour out your ears from the synapses that just short circuited.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

great way to prank your photographer friends

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Set some of their buttons to switch to jpeg instead of RAW

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Them: I just shot that wedding in jpg 😳
You: haha prank, bro

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I don't make a lot of those mistakes much anymore like I used to. I've gotten fairly familiar with the camera, I guess.

What screws me up is when I take a class in school and the professor forces us to change something that we normally wouldn't change. Like forcing us to shoot at under 800 ISO for a class project, then I'll forget to change it back to how I like it, which is higher and auto ISO, for my gritty night street shots.

The worst is forgetting that I have the live view display set to off or on between shooting night shots and shooting in the school's studio with lighting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That’s part of why I love the custom modes on Canon R bodies. I know every time I turn the camera on or switch the dial it’s going to recall to all of the settings down to where my focus zone is on the screen (and orientation specific even).

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s part of why I love the custom modes on Canon R bodies. I know every time I turn the camera on or switch the dial it’s going to recall to all of the settings down to where my focus zone is on the screen (and orientation specific even).

Oh, I've got those. I just have never set one up. In fact I had forgotten about them until you mentioned it. Lmao

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I love them.

I have 1 set for portraits - defaults to aperture prio, a lower ISO range, wide open on the lens, eye tracking focus mode, and lower speed burst

2 is shutter priority at 1/400, higher iso range, center zone focus with tracking, back button eye focus, and highest burst drive. I use this for concerts, pets, anything moving fast.

3 is manual/flash mode. Defaults to 800 iso, 1/100, f/4, one shot non-tracking focus and one shot burst.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I wish my stupid canon p&s had more than 1 custom shooting mode. My Lumix bridge cam from 2005 or whatever has 3 of them, why not this thing.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone tell me if this is possible and also exactly how to do it? lightroom classic

ok so I import a bunch of photos from my camera

that folder that holds them and that folder alone - sync to adobe cloud so I can see them on my phone

and then a time later when I am done I remove them

often I am away from my pc but want to edit the photos I just taken and upload to insta or whatever because I am impatient

using the cloud as a temporary way to work on photos then dump them seems like a good way to use the cloud but not fill it up

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 21, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Create an album of the upload and just delete it later?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Anybody have any experience with these objectives i got for free?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

I have that Mir. Mine was NIB and has all the filters and the manual with it too. It's a really great lens. Focuses very close so you can do some fun things with wide angles and massive background separation.

Actually, I have all of those lenses, multiple copies of most of them too.

The industar is a decent but not stellar 50mm prime. It's quite slow for a prime, but it's basically a pre-war Zeiss formula.

The Jupiter is really nice to use. Again, not blazingly fast but as a short tele, it performs pretty well. I've used mine as a landscape lens and it works great for tightish compositions.

The two Helioses are almost the same. Both have the same Biotar formula that will produce the famous 'swirly bokeh'. The 44-M-6 is multicoated, and has better optical quality while the 44-3 is single coated. The 44-M-6 was made in Valdai, while the 44-3 was made in Minsk. Both also have a pre-selector ring that will confuse you if youve never seen one before. The 44-3 has it at the front end of the lens (where it usually lives) while the 44-M-6 has put it at the mount end for some reason.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 21, 2023

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

I have that Mir. Mine was NIB and has all the filters and the manual with it too. It's a really great lens. Focuses very close so you can do some fun things with wide angles and massive background separation.

The industar is a decent but not stellar 50mm prime. It's quite slow for a prime, but it's basically a pre-war Zeiss formula.

The Jupiter is really nice to use. Again, not blazingly fast but as a short tele, it performs pretty well. I've used mine as a landscape lens and it works great for tightish compositions.

The two Helioses are almost the same. Both have the same Biotar formula that will produce the famous 'swirly bokeh'. The 44-M-6 is multicoated, and has better optical quality while the 44-3 is single coated. The 44-M-6 was made in Valdai, while the 44-3 was made in Minsk. Both also have a pre-selector ring that will confuse you if youve never seen one before. The 44-3 has it at the front end of the lens (where it usually lives) while the 44-M-6 has put it at the mount end for some reason.

This is a good post, thank you.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Helen Highwater posted:

Do you run the YouTube channel "Simon's Utak"? lol

haruspicy
Feb 10, 2023
I love my Helios 44-2 it makes all the shots of my kid on the playground look like they were shot n the yard of a Soviet khrushevka and the swirls own

fake edit: that's not my kid

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

Create an album of the upload and just delete it later?

ok thanks this is a start

now just work out where and how to make it lol

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

haruspicy posted:

I love my Helios 44-2 it makes all the shots of my kid on the playground look like they were shot n the yard of a Soviet khrushevka and the swirls own

fake edit: that's not my kid

:ussr:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

ok thanks this is a start

now just work out where and how to make it lol

lightroom is hosed

so when it’s showing you photos in the file system that makes perfect sense

you can’t select a folder or photos from there to sync, ok lame but whatever

so I dragged one of those folder into “collections”, because you can sync a folder in collections

what is weird tho is that dragging something in there didn’t create a new collection with those files, but the whole folder moved from the file system to collections.. so that folder is no longer sitting in the file browser on lightroom. wtf. I had to leave so couldn’t check to see if it moved re files in the background or what it actually did

maybe there is a way to ctrl drag so it doesn’t move the folder out of the the file system

anyway, it’s worked, just weird

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

xzzy posted:

Not gonna motivate anyone to give Adobe more money, but Lightroom Mobile is pretty legit now. Syncing moble edits with classic edits if you later import the RAW into classic is an annoying manual process but the program itself lets you do everything the desktop version does.

I like Lightroom Mobile because I’m a hobbyist and my workflow is usually: night of the event or trip, I’m motivated use Bluetooth and Lightroom to quickly pick highlights and edit and send to family and friends, then months later finally sit down in front of Lightroom Classic and laboriously tag and go thru all the photos for that day.

Sync between mobile and classic I’m still not 100% great about and I often end up with duplicates or re-editing photos from before. Does anybody have a workflow recommendation for this regarding syncing mobile and classic inputs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

adnam posted:

I like Lightroom Mobile because I’m a hobbyist and my workflow is usually: night of the event or trip, I’m motivated use Bluetooth and Lightroom to quickly pick highlights and edit and send to family and friends, then months later finally sit down in front of Lightroom Classic and laboriously tag and go thru all the photos for that day.

Sync between mobile and classic I’m still not 100% great about and I often end up with duplicates or re-editing photos from before. Does anybody have a workflow recommendation for this regarding syncing mobile and classic inputs?

I just loving gave up on this. Seems like every solution is a shaky messy one, so I switched to Lightroom (not-Classic) for PC. It's nice as hell to just edit stuff, then pick up the iPad and keep on editing and everything's perfectly in sync all the time. Can import images on either and poo poo just works. Yeah I have to pay for cloud storage but it also means I can ditch the Backblaze subscription so that offsets a good chunk of it. I was near 1TB of images when I did the switch and a couple of days later I had it down to around 700GB. I think I can remove about half of that too, just never really sat down and gone through old poo poo so I have like 30 similar pictures of a particular bird and so on.

I can see Classic being needed still if you are a working pro with huge amounts of images shot at once but so far I can't really say it's been an issue for me. Culling an import is a bit slower but considering the advantages I think it's a pretty small price to pay. Plus Lightroom on the iPad is wicked fast and smooth (M1 pro).