Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

The goku prom sign in a trash bin pic

A classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mister Speaker posted:

I also never got laid in high school and didn't go to prom.

Turn on... my... monitor?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lol

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Takes No Damage posted:

Biker's thought process throughout the video:

:lol:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So if I get this right the old dude goes in...slaps/grabs an electric eel for reasons. Passes out. Comes to. Kicks electric eel as he is angry. Frees eel.

Not the most sensible course of action but ok

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I never went to prom. This is in a lovely little Texas town, though, nothing of value was missed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

but surely the inefficiency from lost insulation is way worse. also, just, like, don't hold the door open? do you not know what's in your fridge?? is it for people with memory problems???

Sometimes I just need to ponder upon my six kinds of mustard and no actual food.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My fridge is currently filled with things I should absolutely just put in a trash bag and then into dumpster. I have plans for cooking, buy ingredients for cooking, then just order out or bake a frozen pizza.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Air Skwirl posted:

My fridge is currently filled with things I should absolutely just put in a trash bag and then into dumpster. I have plans for cooking, buy ingredients for cooking, then just order out or bake a frozen pizza.

When girls do this social media diagnoses them with undiagnosed depression and crying. Dudes don't cry.

Dudes rule

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Roblo posted:

So if I get this right the old dude goes in...slaps/grabs an electric eel for reasons. Passes out. Comes to. Kicks electric eel as he is angry. Frees eel.

Not the most sensible course of action but ok

I think they want to get the eel out of the ne so they can use it again and the guy who grabs it doesn't understand at first why the other guy isn't just taking it out of the net with his hands.

Never really thought about before but electric eels are really weird and must have baffled people before anybody knew what electricity was.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I never went to prom. This is in a lovely little Texas town, though, nothing of value was missed.

i went to both jr and sr prom. jr prom i went solo but asked out my crush during the night and got turned down. sr prom i went with my gf who then cheated on me that night.

gently caress proms

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My girlfriend broke up with me temporarily to go to another school's prom with another guy and I ended up going to prom with somebody else's girlfriend who was on a break with him. The guy my girlfriend went to prom with is one of my three closest friends now, and I still talk to the guy whose girlfriend I took to prom. Dudes rule, proms aren't real and can't hurt you

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I skipped my prom to go drinking in the woods with some buddies. However, the next year I took my girlfriend to her prom. We've been married for over 25 years now.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh yeah I forgot at prom I went to the courtyard and smoked a cigarette with my English teacher and when I came back my date was furious that I smelled like smoke and ignored me the entire rest of the night. So I dropped her off at the bowling alley with the rest of her friends and got trashed in my friend's backyard, which we called Deion Sanders Stadium for some reason. Then I got home at five in the morning and my dad was already up so we went to Denny's making this a Ring of Fire memory

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We don't have a prom culture in Scotland but we do consume a lot of American media so my school did have a prom. It was so lame. Most of us were under 18 so there was no alcohol at the venue so we hosed off down the pub

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Soul Dentist posted:

My girlfriend broke up with me temporarily to go to another school's prom with another guy and I ended up going to prom with somebody else's girlfriend who was on a break with him. The guy my girlfriend went to prom with is one of my three closest friends now, and I still talk to the guy whose girlfriend I took to prom. Dudes rule, proms aren't real and can't hurt you

the gf who cheated on me did so with my best friend at the time so sometimes dudes do not infact rule

e; ok to be fair, i still talk to the guy and my gf at the time sucked anyway so dudes rule on occasion

Large Testicles has a new favorite as of 13:05 on Dec 20, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
We have a very local custom of "Chrysostomus", on the day 100 days before the final exams. Its not called a prom, but its pretty close and traditionally also includes a roast of the faculty staff.

Edit: comedy roast, not cannibal roast

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think they want to get the eel out of the ne so they can use it again and the guy who grabs it doesn't understand at first why the other guy isn't just taking it out of the net with his hands.

Never really thought about before but electric eels are really weird and must have baffled people before anybody knew what electricity was.

Alex Wellerstein posted:

There are, it should be noted, a wide variety of "electric fish," that have been encountered by many cultures, beyond the South American electric eel (such as electric catfish in Egypt and China, and electric rays in the Mediterranean). That encounters with these fish produced numbing effects that were remarked upon and frequently used as medical therapies in both Ancient Rome and China, and electric eels were used in this way by natives in South America. Hippocrates described the electrical Mediterranean torpedo with the name narkē, which is to say, the same origin as "narcosis," which is a description of its numbing effect. Those Ancient Greco-Roman naturalists who tried to imagine what was causing the effect tended to think it was a form of poison.

The conclusive connection between the discharge of these fish and electricity was not made until the 1740s with the development of Leyden jars (basically capacitors for storing static electricity).

European understanding of electricity in part derived from studies of these fish and their organs in the 17th century. Alessandro Volta's first battery (the voltaic pile) was described by its inventor as an "artificial" replication of the natural organs of animal electricity found in such fish, and there were deep debates in the 18th century about whether electricity was essentially an animal phenomena or a physical one.

Anyway. From what I can tell, by the time Europeans described the South American electrical eel, they seem to have known about its electrical nature — the first reports of them in European scientific circles are from the 1740s. Linnaeus categorized it as Gymnotus electricus in 1766. I have not found a reference to what it was categorized as before this, or what natives may have called it.

For more detail and information, there is a very nice article on the history of "animal electricity" here: Chau H. Wu, "Electric Fish and the Discovery of Animal Electricity: The mystery of the electric fish motivated research into electricity and was instrumental in the emergence of electrophysiology," American Scientist 72, no. 6 (1984), 598-607.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/s/zhdK3OVoSf

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think I know what electricity is and I'm still baffled by electric eels.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

LookieLoo posted:

I think I know what electricity is and I'm still baffled by electric eels.

i don't even attempt to understand electricity, i just consider it to be magic and leave it to the wizards (nerds)

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Large Testicles posted:

sr prom i went with my gf who then cheated on me that night.

Like, cheated on you at the prom? Did she bang the guy behind the punch bowl table?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

null_pointer posted:

Like, cheated on you at the prom? Did she bang the guy behind the punch bowl table?

making out with the dude behind the punch bowl and then they banged later that night

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fishstick posted:

We have a very local custom of "Chrysostomus", on the day 100 days before the final exams. Its not called a prom, but its pretty close and traditionally also includes a roast of the faculty staff.

Edit: comedy roast, not cannibal roast

We got something similar where after graduation there's a graduation ball, though it's usually off school grounds and people can buy tickets to attend. Except in my year the students who volunteered to organise it were bourgie as gently caress and decided on a venue where the tickets came out to like 150€ per person so lmao no way I was gonna go there.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I went to prom three years in a row in high school. I was asked by a senior my sophomore year and then went to jr and sr prom the following years. I always had a great time with my friends and none of my dates cheated on me. We hired limos, went out to the “fancy” restaurant while we were all dressed up, and then headed to one of the after prom parties to drink and socialize with the rest of our peers.

I think everyone should have tried doing it that way instead of getting cheated on and stuff.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Don't whiz on the electric eel
I'm not going to be an expert on pissing on things that can't consent, but while pissing on an electric fence hurts and is a thing dumb teenagers like me did, holding an electric eel is just about the dumbest thing you can do, because the electric shock contracts your muscles, so you can't let go, even if you want to.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Robobot posted:

I went to prom three years in a row in high school. I was asked by a senior my sophomore year and then went to jr and sr prom the following years. I always had a great time with my friends and none of my dates cheated on me. We hired limos, went out to the “fancy” restaurant while we were all dressed up, and then headed to one of the after prom parties to drink and socialize with the rest of our peers.

I think everyone should have tried doing it that way instead of getting cheated on and stuff.

The "fancy" restaurant workers hated you

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
https://i.imgur.com/v0vuiUA.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/i2i8ioK.mp4

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I literally laughed out loud at that one, the timing on it is amazing.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Reminds me of a couple of the clips here, except not nearly as smooth.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s2m9eloJaL1u1i1ue.mp4

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
itt extreme "chive.tv on the main screen at a Texas Roadhouse" energy rn

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Large Testicles posted:

making out with the dude behind the punch bowl and then they banged later that night

Oh. Well, ummm ... yeah. That's pretty rough :smith:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

null_pointer posted:

Oh. Well, ummm ... yeah. That's pretty rough :smith:

Maybe they did it all slow and romantic like!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Canuckistan posted:

I skipped my prom to go drinking in the woods with some buddies.

This is the way.

In fact, if I get one quote of this post, I might go drinking in the woods right now.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Karate Bastard posted:

This is the way.

In fact, if I get one quote of this post, I might go drinking in the woods right now.

Ok I guess I'll go drinking in the woods then, good call. Cheers guys!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Soul Dentist posted:

The "fancy" restaurant workers hated you

That's part of the fancy restaurant experience.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Large Testicles posted:

You've been bested by user Even Larger Testicles.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Waiiiiiiitttt for it...

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

GhostDog posted:

You've been bested by user Even Larger Testicles.

You were tested, and found wanting

:dumbrim:

e: as was the guy just above, right in the testes

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Dec 20, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
https://i.imgur.com/Gx6UF3o.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/RCtlyRF.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard